ACAP Thanksgiving dinner at Sacha in San Isidro

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

ACAP Thanksgiving dinner at Sacha in San Isidro

Postby americorps » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:18 am

Now, I am usually the ACAP apologist when they have expensive events because they also have free events and services and I do not think everything has to be low budget, but I am very disappointed that they have gone away from the pot-luck tradition they used to have and priced Thanksgiving out from a lot of people.

It shows something missing in their event planning as far as meeting the needs of the largest base possible for their clients during the holidays.

american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: ACAP Thanksgiving dinner at Sacha in San Isidro

Postby american_in_lima » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:04 am

I don't think the idea of the post was for opinions on the cost. I think it was just to let people know about the event. The post is not in News and Views.

Most Thanksgiving day dinner buffets, will cost you the same price by the way, in the US. Some range from $50 to $100 per person.

The fact that they are offering these kind of services to the expat community is wonderful. I don't know of any other organization that is offering the same. In stead of complaining about a service, we should be happy that organizations like ACAP exist to serve the needs of the Expat community so that we don't feel so far away from home.
Regards,

George
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Remigius » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:45 am

american_in_lima wrote:Most Thanksgiving day dinner buffets, will cost you the same price by the way, in the US. Some range from $50 to $100 per person.

Perhaps we also should bear in mind those Expats who do not have such a generous budged? If you want to organise events, at least do it in such way that everybody can enjoy it. La Granja Azul was well-priced, because the kids could play and it was all-you-can-eat, so it was well-worth it, but this event and the last one just give me a bad feeling. I mean, 180 soles for 2 people in Peru? Regardless of what I used to pay back home, it's too much.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:51 am

I totally agree that they should have cheaper events as well which is why they the ACAP has lots of free and lower priced events as well which is the nice thing.

My point was that the first post was to let people know about the event. Not to discuss if the price was "too much" or not. Cost is relative to the buyer and the circumstance so there will always be someone that thinks it is well priced or too high.
Regards,

George
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:17 am

remigus, George's post is more about an interpersonal dispute with me because he is upset with something I said in another thread and believes this is some sort of way at getting back at me.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:19 am

Kevin:

I appreciate you speaking on my behalf. To clarify what Kevin thinks. Totally untrue.
Regards,

George
mjcole
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mjcole » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:18 am

Ok, I have resisted until now (and before I finished writing this, I saw the additional posts had been moved to a different, less read forum.....some sort of censorship now,I guess?) ...anyway, I like ACAP; I am a member (family membership) and plan to continue to be a member. However, though S/.80 or S/.90 is ok for me, once we get into a family of 2 or 3 or 4 (or more), it becomes quite expensive, and for many impossible. For me, it is just me and my wife and that is already S/.160 but if we had children, the cost would be prohibitive (though if I am allowed to bring my dog....it maybe worth it [just a joke for all you serious people]). I do think the "ACAP member discount" should be significantly more than S/.10. I DO understand the argument that "in the US" this would be much more expensive, that is true.....HOWEVER, (and sometimes I have to remind myself of this) WE ARE NOT IN THE U.S.; my grandmother is NOT going to be making the homemade mashed potatoes, the turkey and the veggies - we all came here (many of us anyway, to escape what IS the U.S.).
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Okay.. full disclosure.. I am a past director of the ACAP and a big booster of them and their events, both personally and as the person who runs expatperu.com. Why? Well, they try to bring people together at lots of events, and some, like the one I attended last night, are absolutely free of cost. This foments community, and community is one of the basic building blocks of a healthy society.

That said, I understand the frustration of Americorps, and others, who would like to see lower cost events for the American community here, particularly on key dates like Thanksgiving. I know that the ACAP keeps this in mind, but sometimes they need to sponsor "high brow" events too, since there is a portion of their membership that ask for this,and they need to earn enough money to fund their office. That is not a bad thing.

Also, strategically speaking, in the past couple years the Union Church has organized a potlock, so having the ACAP do the same is redundant.

My solution? Those of you who are interested can organize your own potluck dinner using this board and the expatriate mailing list to convoke. Ater all, as foreigners living in Peru, we have much to be thankful for.

By the way.. I will leave it to one of our members who conceived of the event to make the official announcement... but to show our solidarity for Peruvians, and to show overall gratitude by giving something back to the community, expatperu will be getting behind a blood drive at one of the hospitals to be held on Thanksgiving Day. We are establishing a modest goal in terms of doners, but hope that this can become a tradition for us. So, wait for more to come. Expatperu is out for blood!

Best wishes to all.
Alan
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:09 am

Thanks, Alan for your support and please accept my appologies for responding so late to your support it means a lot. For more information about the Blood Drive please go to the following link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11517
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:33 am

Alan wrote:My solution? Those of you who are interested can organize your own potluck dinner using this board and the expatriate mailing list to convoke. Ater all, as foreigners living in Peru, we have much to be thankful for.

When I came to Peru almost four years ago I found this board and found it to be a friendly place. It has not disappointed me until this outburst. For those of you who don`t know me and many of you don`t I had lived in Mexico for 5 years in the Lake Chapala area. There was a huge ExPat Community there like maybe 15% of the population was foreign and all they did on the community chat board was fight and insult each other that activity was also reproduced in how they lived in the Lake Chapala communities of Ajijic, Chapala, and Jocotepec. The constant infighting was disgusting and it didn`t go unoticed by the Mexicans this group of expats did nothing to improve US/ Mexican relations which are strained.

To give you an idea of how petty they could be. There was an ExPat Association called the Lake Chapala Society, the founder of the group Neil James died and she donated her home to the Lake Chapala Society so they would have a fixed location and she requested that her ashes be buried in the center garden with just a simple marker. This wish was respected until an American artist who did sculptures moved into town and when they did a total renovation of the facility he proposed a life size statue of Neil James be created that he would do for a price. The people who knew Neil James reminded the Board at the time of Neil James final wishes they fell on deaf ears because the Artist had said he would install a plaque with the names of each Board Member on the plaque. So a real dog fight broke out and literally somebody dug up the urn containing Neil James ashes and held it hostage. Complaints were filed at the Ministerio Publicos offices, law suits filed, and somebody even gave an interview to a local TV Station. Then people started suing each otehr. THE LAKE CHAPALA SOCIETY EXISTS TODAY BUT IT IS RUN BY A BUNCH OF CONTROL FREAKS AND IS FAR FROM THE VISION that Neil James put forward when she founded it. This was just one conflict that I saw there were many others and I basically disassociated myelf from the Expat Community and made some great Mexican friends. I got fed up with the whole expat community because of their behavior and moved to Peru. This is why this Gringo has been slow to get involved in the Expat Community here but I have attended a few events and the community here is different.

I see Alan`s point of view and also Americorps too. I am one of those who enjoys a high end event and feel as though I should support ACAP and their programs but I also know many here have very low budgets. LETS STOP THIS AND STOP THIS NOW WE SHOULD WORK IN UNITY. If you got personal issues with somebody then take it off the Board and if it makes you feel better insult each other by PRIVATE MESSAGE or emails. GROW UP.

I have a wonderful Party Rooom at my building and will offer that to anybody who wants to do a Pot Luck Dinner and pay the associated charge for the room out of my pocket. My building charges like $50 for the use of the party room and as I said I will invest that sum to keep our expat community a civil place. So somebody step forward and get it organized let me know within three days if this is a go and I will book the room. Email me if your interested [email protected]

LETS BE CIVIL TO ONE ANOTHER.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register