HSBC Holdings to Pull Out of Chile, Peru, Poland, Sky News

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
GianO
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: HSBC Holdings to Pull Out of Chile, Peru, Poland, Sky News

Postby GianO » Wed May 18, 2011 1:21 pm

That's.....not too good :? I was going to switch my banking needs to them once I move in the summer but if they aren't going to have branches there anymore, I might need to find a new bank.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:28 am

try usaa. they are good and don't charge for atm withdrawls if you do not convert to soles. I don't know if you can use them if you aren't in the US right now though.
:-)~mike~(-:
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Tue May 24, 2011 1:19 pm

GianO wrote:That's.....not too good :? I was going to switch my banking needs to them once I move in the summer but if they aren't going to have branches there anymore, I might need to find a new bank.

There's always INTERBANK.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sat May 28, 2011 6:44 pm

Dang. I guess getting $$ has gotten a little more difficult/inconvenient
PaddyODoors

Postby PaddyODoors » Sun May 29, 2011 1:39 pm

Banking here is expensive in general compared to the UK. How they can have the audacity to charge, usage fee, maintenance fee and annual membership on top of 30% APR on a credit card is beyond me.

Current accounts also pay a pittence of interest and they charge you a monthly maintenance charge and other fees. One would think they didnt take you hard earned money, invest it and make a killing on it, but rather left it gathering dust in a well guarded vault.

I was hoping to switch to HSBC because of their one world account which would have allowed you access your HSBC funds worldwide as if you were in your own country. They were also shaking up the charging structures.

Shame really.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:10 am

bmike1 wrote:try usaa. they are good and don't charge for atm withdrawls if you do not convert to soles. I don't know if you can use them if you aren't in the US right now though.

You can get a USAA account from here in Peru if you are a U.S. citizen (and perhaps even if you are Peruvian). They do not charge an ATM fee for the first ten withdrawals each month, regardless of whether you withdraw in dollars or soles. However, upon the 11th and successive ATM withdrawals, they charge $2.00 a pop. Still, they are one of the least evil banks.

By the way, if you are a U.S. HSBC customer and want to get the same kind of banking service at HSBC locations abroad as you have in the U.S.A., you will need to deposit at least $100,000 U.S. You can get a bank account at HSBC here if you have a residence visa, but since they are leaving, it is probably all for naught.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register