Just Opinions - Likes and Dislikes of Peru

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Just Opinions - Likes and Dislikes of Peru

Postby rama0929 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:43 pm

Polaron wrote: The concept of waiting one's turn, for example, is totally different here. That is why you see drivers running red lights intentionally (I mean crossing into the intersection after the light has already been red for a couple of seconds), stacking up two and three deep in the intersection to make a left turn out of a single left-turn lane, passing other cars and then swerving in front of them to make a turn, etc. The overall attitude seems to be, "hey, you're in my way."

So THAT'S why they're such lousy drivers when they come to the States :twisted:

renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:43 pm

People will go out of their way to step in front of you and then sometimes glare at you as if it were your fault. I think it has to do with the way people are raised in LatAm. Their concepts of proper social behavior differ from those of Anglo-Saxon societies.

it's just odd because it's aggressive behavior (the swerving into you for no reason on the street part). i mean even though i find it repugnant, i can see the whole stacking up in intersections and running lights thing-it's to get to where you want to go a little faster. but the bumping into you thing, i can't interpret it any other way then a challenge of sorts. so, the yank in me is like "oh it's like that then? two can play at that game." where i guess they see it as friendly sport or something? or are they even aware they're doing it? i guess it may remain a mystery to me.

i'm a new yorker, we're notoriously pushy and rude, but there's a system when you're maneuvering around busy crowded streets, walking at a fast pace. you can have a thousand new yorkers rushing past each other on a street and no two will hardly ever bump shoulders or step on each other's feet, it's really rare.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:49 pm

rama0929 wrote:Those who have been bumped, may want to check your pockets :P

i have my hand on my wallet at all times when i walk, subtlely of course
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:51 pm

Pirate Movies

that totally rules. or programs that usually would cost $300 bucks sold for 8 soles.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:50 am

The bumping issue is actually a reverse racism act.

A great percentage of the Peruvian population is Indian.
Part of this population teaches to their children that any
body who is white is at fault for past violence against
indians. One of the ways of getting even taught at home
is the bumping (or doing something else equally nasty) of
a white person in public in order to elicit a violent response
either physical or verbal. The indian must make sure that
the public present is mostly indian or mixed to gain sympathy
and scream racism if the white person tries to reply accordingly.

How do I know that this is a fact, I am from a mixed family:
mother white, father indian. Whenever my aunts and uncles
on my father side educated their children, these are the teachings
that they were provided with. These kind of education remains
until today, and it is one of the reasons why Peru continues
going backward.

Now some people will say that this does not happen in modern times.
I will provide two current examples so you know when somebody tries
to do the same to you.

February 2011, visiting a well known Peruvian restaurant in Virginia Beach
with my mother. Three indian girls enter into the restaurant. One starts
to talk loudly to the owner. The other girl started to kicking one of
the tables. And the third girl started shake her hair right in front
of where my mother was eating. Obviously that after that I stopped
going to that place.

A Sunday on May 2011, Barlington Coat Factory (Virginia Beach) the store was almost empty
because the sale season ended, I was looking for a sports coat and my mother
was selecting a tie from the same rack. Two indian women (sisters, cousins)
come towards us with their shopping carts and push us (violently) like the story
is full and that rack was the last one with products in the whole store.

Now in Peru, once you know how this works, you are ready to reply
properly to this kind of people (I either slap the woman or guy, or kick
him with my foot), In the US what is the best way to reply to this kind
of incidents ?
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:31 am

The bumping issue is actually a reverse racism act.

A great percentage of the Peruvian population is Indian.
Part of this population teaches to their children that any
body who is white is at fault for past violence against
indians. One of the ways of getting even taught at home
is the bumping (or doing something else equally nasty) of
a white person in public in order to elicit a violent response
either physical or verbal. The indian must make sure that
the public present is mostly indian or mixed to gain sympathy
and scream racism if the white person tries to reply accordingly.

Wow, interesting. Thinking about it now, it seems to be done exclusively by indian/mixed folks, as far as i can remember. i'm pretty sure it rarely, if ever happens with "piticos." i'll observe more closely while i walk around to see if this is true, could be confirmation bias while i'm thinking back now, but i'm pretty sure you're right here.

How do I know that this is a fact, I am from a mixed family:
mother white, father indian. Whenever my aunts and uncles
on my father side educated their children, these are the teachings
that they were provided with. These kind of education remains
until today, and it is one of the reasons why Peru continues
going backward.

whoa. so you have actually heard conversations where people have been encouraged to do this?

Now some people will say that this does not happen in modern times.
I will provide two current examples so you know when somebody tries
to do the same to you.

February 2011, visiting a well known Peruvian restaurant in Virginia Beach
with my mother. Three indian girls enter into the restaurant. One starts
to talk loudly to the owner. The other girl started to kicking one of
the tables. And the third girl started shake her hair right in front
of where my mother was eating. Obviously that after that I stopped
going to that place.

i see this kind of behavior all the time.

A Sunday on May 2011, Barlington Coat Factory (Virginia Beach) the store was almost empty
because the sale season ended, I was looking for a sports coat and my mother
was selecting a tie from the same rack. Two indian women (sisters, cousins)
come towards us with their shopping carts and push us (violently) like the story
is full and that rack was the last one with products in the whole store.

yep.

Now in Peru, once you know how this works, you are ready to reply
of incidents ?

well, i'm not interested in peruvian prison so i tend to force myself to calm down. but they usually back down when i show that i'm not afraid of them, at all, and that i'm willing to push/bump/etc back, especially since i'm usually substantially larger than most who do this type of thing to me. i've definitely felt this vibe at concerts/big parties and honestly, yeah, it's not coming from the upper class, spanish background crowd at all. i wasn't thinking about it from that angle though. my girlfriend is mixed, but with very little indian, she's peruvian but is part italian. there's been a few times where she was lumped in with me and called a gringa. recently we were in a taxi and the taxista was totally incompetent (or just deciding to mess with us) and drove us on a goose chase around miraflores, in a giant circle, to get to an address that ended up being just a few blocks away from my house (unbeknownst to me). when we started complaining, he asked if we had visas permitting us to be in peru (!) never ran into that kind of thing before. i may be wrong but i couldn't help but think humala being the prez may start bringing this type of thing out stronger, and the taxista was an example, but of course it could be my imagination.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:34 am

falconagain wrote:Now in Peru, once you know how this works, you are ready to reply
of incidents ?

The same way; kick, slap or hip check. Or unkind words sent in their direction. Sometimes it's best to ignore them, you never know who's spoiling for a fight, or trying to fish for a reaction.

Is there a large Peruvian population in Va Beach? I had no idea. The last time I was out there, there seemed to be a lot of Russians. Fascinating to me, to see how ethnics and populations move around.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:57 am

Sometimes it's best to ignore them, you never know who's spoiling for a fight, or trying to fish for a reaction.

usually what i do, don't want to get stabbed or worse, end up in jail here.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:58 am

"whoa. so you have actually heard conversations where people
have been encouraged to do this? "

Yes, when my family arrived to Lima we had to live at my aunts
house which was like the hub for all my fathers extended family,
while the house was not that small there were windows from
room to room (I never understood why), so you could hear
everything that was going on in the house without making
any effort.

"Is there a large Peruvian population in Va Beach? I had no
idea. The last time I was out there, there seemed to be a
lot of Russians. Fascinating to me, to see how ethnics
and populations move around."

Actually as far as I know the biggest Peruvian population
is in Manassas. We only have one peruvian restaurant
now (the other closed or is about to reopen). I sincerely
do not know where this women from Barlington CF came
from.

"usually what i do, don't want to get stabbed or worse,
end up in jail here."
When you are a local you know how to behave and the
limits of your actions. Over here in the US, the laws
are different so I need to behave in a completely
different way.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:53 pm

taxistas who accept your fare and take you on a ride, meanwhile having no idea whatsoever where they're going. just sat in a cab for an hour and a half because of this, not the first time either.

good side to balance out the gripe: taxis are cheap.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:01 pm

Yes, I agree with the comment about the taxi's 100%.

Not meaning to draw on the negatives but here's another dislike:
Lies. People will blatantly lie right in front of you, face to face as though it were the truth and a fact, not giving it a second thought even though they are inventing something on the spot. What's that all about?

Like:
The cost of going to the cinema which is about a third of the price of the UK!
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Lies. People will blatantly lie right in front of you, face to face as though it were the truth and a fact, not giving it a second thought even though they are inventing something on the spot. What's that all about?

haha my old roomate here was the king of that. but do you really think it's a peruvian thing? doesn't seem to be more rampant here than in the states, where people do it all the time too (i used to do it actually)
Hegadil
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Hegadil » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:14 pm

I was in Lima near "Pizza Ave. Where is the night life for over-50's? How do women treat introverted extrajeros who might need a little extra encouragemnet? Most of the night life seemed to be in the youth hostel and 20-something discos.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:29 am

Hegadil wrote:I was in Lima near "Pizza Ave. Where is the night life for over-50's? How do women treat introverted extrajeros who might need a little extra encouragemnet? Most of the night life seemed to be in the youth hostel and 20-something discos.

Be careful around there, rumors of ladies of the night and peperas abound near Pizza St.

In my general observations, there really isn't much of a night life for those over 50. I wonder if there's an untapped market for that; lounges/bars/clubs for middle-aged people. Most of the natives I know just hang out at home, or with friends @ home.
Hegadil
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Hegadil » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:12 pm

rama0929 wrote:
Hegadil wrote:I was in Lima near "Pizza Ave. Where is the night life for over-50's? How do women treat introverted extrajeros who might need a little extra encouragemnet? Most of the night life seemed to be in the youth hostel and 20-something discos.

Be careful around there, rumors of ladies of the night and peperas abound near Pizza St.

In my general observations, there really isn't much of a night life for those over 50. I wonder if there's an untapped market for that; lounges/bars/clubs for middle-aged people. Most of the natives I know just hang out at home, or with friends @ home.

Thanks for a solid answer. Just like here in Tacoma, the net seems to be the only solution. At least in Lima there are a lot of pedestrians and few notice me. I go walking alone in Tacoma in broad daylight, and people call their kids away from the fence because of "stranger danger" or something. I'm never dressed in shabby clothing, unshaved or unwashed. it is sad how little community is left in this country. In Lima or anywhere S. A.
I get strange looks when asked how many kids I have and I answer "0".
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Hegadil wrote:Thanks for a solid answer. Just like here in Tacoma, the net seems to be the only solution. At least in Lima there are a lot of pedestrians and few notice me. I go walking alone in Tacoma in broad daylight, and people call their kids away from the fence because of "stranger danger" or something. I'm never dressed in shabby clothing, unshaved or unwashed. it is sad how little community is left in this country. In Lima or anywhere S. A.

It isn't so much an issue of community as an issue of trust. Just like anywhere else, if you're an unfamiliar face, people will be on guard.

I get strange looks when I tell people that I'm not married and have no children, and I'm 36. In Peru, people seem to get locked into families relatively young (stateside, it seems to be the case outside of major metro areas). I'm sure there are unattached single middle aged women in Lima, divorced or otherwise, they just have to be found. I've been out of Peru for almost a year, sorry I couldn't be more help.

I would recommend asking around your neighbors or what have you, trying to figure out the vibe or scene. The best way to break the ice in Lima, IMO, is to have someone introduce you to someone else. Understand, the women are harassed quite a lot by guys, so if they give you the cold shoulder when you try to approach them, don't take it personal. Just show that you aren't a jerk, and they'll eventually come around.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:13 am

rama0929 wrote:
Hegadil wrote:Understand, the women are harassed quite a lot by guys, so if they give you the cold shoulder when you try to approach them, don't take it personal. Just show that you aren't a jerk, and they'll eventually come around.

It is good recommendations..

Try to get "eye contact" . peruvian women love eye contact .. I tell it from my experience.. Don't approach if you don't get the green light through an eye contact. And once you get the green light.. don't hesitate so much.. because green light turns rapidly to orange and red....
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:42 am

And something more.. if you are looking for a serious relationship calle de las pizzas at night in Miraflores isn't the best place to look for..
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:05 pm

rama0929 wrote:
Polaron wrote: The concept of waiting one's turn, for example, is totally different here. That is why you see drivers running red lights intentionally (I mean crossing into the intersection after the light has already been red for a couple of seconds), stacking up two and three deep in the intersection to make a left turn out of a single left-turn lane, passing other cars and then swerving in front of them to make a turn, etc. The overall attitude seems to be, "hey, you're in my way."

So THAT'S why they're such lousy drivers when they come to the States :twisted:

Not just here. The last time I lived in Mexico - Durango, DGO in 2002 - I was pulling out of a Bital parking lot (Banco Internacional) onto a two-lane city street. It was a left turn, and as I crossed the lane closest to me, a Nissan Tsuru taxi went racing by in front of me in the opposite lane (going the wrong way) and I clipped him with my front bumper (I was driving an older Renault). Within five minutes, about 10 taxis had arrived, and by the time the cop got there, I had 11 taxistas claiming that it was my fault. Then the owner of the taxi - an attorney - arrived, and all of them demanded that I be ticketed.

To his credit, the cop refused. He pulled me aside and said, "I know you weren't at fault here, but the other guy has all those witnesses, and there is no way you can win this." However, he refused to ticket me, despite the pressure.

I ended up having to pay $8,000 MXP in damages (about $900 dlls at the time), which was a bummer, but I was lucky that no one was injured in the accident, or else we all would have gone to jail. I was bummed out about being stuck with the bill, but what can you do?

Back to likes and dislikes:

One thing I like about Peru is the voltage - 240 to 250 volts, instead of the 120 to 125 we have in the U.S.A. You don't need to have new wiring installed to operate a major appliance like a dryer or an air conditioner.

Dislikes: Strangers coming by and ringing my doorbell (which is a great, shrieking bell like the type you might hear in a car rrepair facility) for reasons that are of no interest to me: selling something I don't want, asking for money, proselytizing, looking for my neighbor, ring-and-run pranks, asking me to participate in surveys, et al, ad nauseam. The problem with the doorbell is that it is loud, and people sometimes ring and ring and ring, and as I'm a writer, it breaks my concentration. So I found the solution: I disconnected the doorbell and it no longer bothers me!

With regards to the bumping into people being racism, I'm not sure that is always the case. It probably is true in some of the cases, though. I think it's more attributable to the following:

- Manners or educación. There is little social consequence for bumping into someone in public, and it is not a priority in their upbringing. I see peruanos bumping into their fellow Peruvians too.

- The Me-Me-Me-and-No-One-Else-Exists Syndrome. "I'm in my own little world and I don't see anyone else." They're just not aware of other people and/or do not care.

- Economic resentment. They perceive foreigners as having lots of money and resent them for it.

- Attempted pickpocketing.

- Want to cop a cheap feel.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:18 pm

Polaron wrote:One thing I like about Peru is the voltage - 240 to 250 volts, instead of the 120 to 125 we have in the U.S.A. You don't need to have new wiring installed to operate a major appliance like a dryer or an air conditioner.

I disagree, the electricity here is not only seriously inefficient, but it is downright archaic...I have had more problems here with voltage and, more seriously, arching, than anywhere I have ever lived.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:25 pm

MarcoPE wrote:
Polaron wrote:One thing I like about Peru is the voltage - 240 to 250 volts, instead of the 120 to 125 we have in the U.S.A. You don't need to have new wiring installed to operate a major appliance like a dryer or an air conditioner.

I disagree, the electricity here is not only seriously inefficient, but it is downright archaic...I have had more problems here with voltage and, more seriously, arching, than anywhere I have ever lived.

I agree that the quality of the grid and the electrical fluctuations are problematic here, but that is not what I was referring to. I simply prefer 240 volts to 120 v for the reasons cited.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:46 pm

220v tend to generate more arching than 110v .. it is because of higher voltage . You can see it at the electric outlet (when you plug or unplug an electric appliance) the sparkles, I mean.. nothing to really worry about..
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:03 pm

Hegadil wrote:
rama0929 wrote:

Thanks for a solid answer. Just like here in Tacoma, the net seems to be the only solution. At least in Lima there are a lot of pedestrians and few notice me. I go walking alone in Tacoma in broad daylight, and people call their kids away from the fence because of "stranger danger" or something. I'm never dressed in shabby clothing, unshaved or unwashed. it is sad how little community is left in this country. In Lima or anywhere S. A.

decent looking american dude with some money in his pocket and half a personality, even in his 50's, should have no problem with the opposite sex from the age range of early 30's (hell, sometimes even late 20's) to your own age.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Dislikes: Strangers coming by and ringing my doorbell (which is a great, shrieking bell like the type you might hear in a car rrepair facility)

i had one of those horrid shrieking bells. a girl i was dating somehow snuck past security ninja-like at 4 am when i told her she couldn't come here b/c i was sleeping, and then proceeded to lean on that bell until it burnt out. i woke up the next morning and the power in my apartment blew out with the bell.

good times.

i'm at the point now that when someone knocks (i'm actually happy that horrid bell died that night) i look through my peephole, if i don't know them, i don't answer. and if someone buzzes my apartment from downstairs, i ignore it. if it's someone i know, they'd text or call me to ask where i am, too many times it's been someone like you mentioned so i don't bother anymore.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:37 pm

windsportinperu wrote:220v tend to generate more arching than 110v .. it is because of higher voltage . You can see it at the electric outlet (when you plug or unplug an electric appliance) the sparkles, I mean.. nothing to really worry about..

You mean those sparkles are electricity? And all this time, I had 'em figured for acid flashbacks . . . .
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:36 pm

renodante wrote:i had one of those horrid shrieking bells. a girl i was dating somehow snuck past security ninja-like at 4 am when i told her she couldn't come here b/c i was sleeping, and then proceeded to lean on that bell until it burnt out. i woke up the next morning and the power in my apartment blew out with the bell.

Ah, yeah, Hegadil... One other thing about las Peruchas; they may give you the cold shoulder at first, but the moment they take a liking to you they can be a little difficult to get rid of. Proceed with caution. :lol:

That falls under Likes and Dislikes :mrgreen:
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:44 pm

rama0929 wrote:
renodante wrote:i had one of those horrid shrieking bells. a girl i was dating somehow snuck past security ninja-like at 4 am when i told her she couldn't come here b/c i was sleeping, and then proceeded to lean on that bell until it burnt out. i woke up the next morning and the power in my apartment blew out with the bell.

Ah, yeah, Hegadil... One other thing about las Peruchas; they may give you the cold shoulder at first, but the moment they take a liking to you they can be a little difficult to get rid of. Proceed with caution. :lol:

That falls under Likes and Dislikes :mrgreen:

indeed. never in my life have i had to be so strategic-minded for a breakup. i practically have to draw out flowcharts and cost-benefit analysis' before proceeding.
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:08 pm

Ok, so I did a non-scientific study last weekend in Huaraz. I walked out of a Chifa and 3 guys were coming up the sidewalk. I walked right at them and all three, in succession, moved to the other side of a very narrow sidewalk with vendors in the street.

I kept walking and turned left down Av Luzuriaga (the main drag with very wide sidewalks). I decided to walk in a strait line and see how many people move. There's plenty of room for everyone, so it wouldn't be hard. I walked into 2 people, both ladies. I stepped "over" one child that was holding the hand of their mother. I also walked into one guy, but he was reading the "for sale" postings. About 8 people total moved out of my way in 3 blocks.

So maybe the problem is in the big cities. Granted, I am about the stature of a Denver Broncos offensive lineman, so I would expect most people to get out of my way. :twisted:
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:04 pm

jcn7vc wrote:Ok, so I did a non-scientific study last weekend in Huaraz

Joe, your experiment failed because it was non-scientific.. you need to test it in the laboratory.. :)

I haven't had that kind of problems when walking on the street in Lima too... So probably it is going to fail here again.. I always walk on the right side of the sideway and expect the pedestrian do it on the other side

Is there a place in Lima with an exception to the rule ? yes.. it is in the downtown, around Abancay Ave... where people walk fast and with hurry...

Joe, Welcome to Peru !.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:06 pm

I you are looking for a reliable and sincere partner then Calle de Pizzas is the last place you should go. The should rename the street to Calle de Bricheras.
The woman you meet in that area are only interested in your wallet. The best thing you will get here is a one night stand and then waking up in the morning to find out that the girl and you wallet are gone.

First time, I went to Calle de Pizzas, I was drinking in a bar. I saw 4 girls entering the bar, they ordered cocktails. The waitress served them and after some discussion with the girls, I saw her bringing the cocktails back to the bar. I asked the waitress what happened. She said that it happens all the times that groups of girls walk in the bar, drink and then claim not having money on them. The girls also asked her if she could ask of any of the male customers was prepared to pay for the drinks. They waitress said that she refused and kicked the girls out.

Also be carefull out there. There are girls up there who might approach you, even buy you a drink but will spike it in order to rob you.

A good place to meet serious girls is in shopping malls and in gyms. But not the pituka ones in Miraflores and San Isidro. Because they are often frequented by girls who go for 'gringo fishing'.

Another way and very common way to meet woman in Peru is trough friends. They often know how the girl is.
Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:39 am

[quote="renodante"][quote]People will go out of their way to step in front of you and then sometimes glare . but the bumping into you thing, i can't interpret it any other way then a challenge of sorts. so, the yank in me is like "oh it's like that then? two can play at that game." where i guess they see it as friendly sport or something? or are they even aware they're doing it? i guess it may remain a mystery to me.

This also occurs frequently in Asia. I concluded it was probably passive aggressive behavior to see if I can force the Yank to get out of my way. I'm 1.99 M and 105 KG former college athlete and work out regularly so it amazed me how many small Korean guys would jump right in front of me to try to force me off the path. Of course, often there would be 5-6 gusy while I was by myself. For months, I went out of my way to get out of their way....but occasionally I would be too pissed off and maintain my path and run over those little guys. I was worried about and didn't want to get in a fight and get tossed out of the country but sometimes, I just couldn't back down.

As for the main topic, I''m enjoying reading the likes & dislikes as an observer trying to decide where in the world to move to.

How about a poll of expats to see how many want to leave and how many think Peru's the greatest country they've been to, all things considered?
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:47 pm

I don't know that I'd say it's the greatest country I've ever been to, but I like it enough here that I have no intention of leaving - of course, my husband is Peruvian. If I weren't married, I'd probably want to move around a lot more.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:55 pm

as much as I bi** about it i dig it too.

and as i've said many times before, i bi**** all the time when i lived in the states, it's just my nature.
skiller3000

Postby skiller3000 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:12 pm

I like:

my wife (it goes without saying)
weather (temperature never drops to -30 C, as in Vologda, where do I come from... it's located near to Finland)
variety of fruits and vegetables at low prices
my house near to the ocean
some nice people here that always can help you

I do not like:

uncontrolled traffic (in Russia, I've never seen something like it).
resentment against white people (as I'm Russian and there were no Spanish colonizers, my grandfather was not carrying your grandfather in the hold of the ship... entonces mi peruchito lindo, no debo nada a nadie).
myths about the US and Europe - like this is paradise on Earth (yes, but people have to pay 40% of earnings to maintain this "paradise" clean and safe). sometimes it seems to me, that they wanna become another state of US, so much "wow" about all that comes from there. once time ago, i had to listen that US is super country in all the sences for 5 hours... poop, ok, i've been to US, it's good country but not perfect one either...
chismosos - why they need to know my personal life?
stupidity and childishness of most of the population (they love to lie, but what kind of lies is that - like that I've been lying when I was studying in primary school.... in my country, noone will believe that excuses, especially when it's about money... so honest peruvian is almost nonsence here... when peruvian comes back from US or Europe - it's like he is chosen one, so much showing off... all these fotos in facebook... you know)
their desire to postpone things for tomorrow (no one understands that my time is money)
gringo tax (they raise the price every time they see me - es que cuero ha subido, bastante, amigo!!!
Internet - as a programmer, I can see the absolute lack of interest to computer science here, or they just make it in peruvian way. so I need to step far when my wife takes taxi...
religious people (including Catholics) - many times I tried to explain that to my mother-in-law that I am not Catholic (Russians are Orthodox Christians, so deal with it), it's hard to explain that kids can be educated without putting all that religious ideas to the head.
what else - ninos de la gente de mercado, bricheras, peperas - why when I'm in the bus she need to put her ass straight to my face? and that is what pisses my wife most, these cheap women that sell themselves for cuarto de pollo.

well, and as a consequence of all things I've said - unfounded arrogance and illogic of some people, their animal desire to enrich at my expense (no cholo, no quiero comprar tus caramelos... yes, cause i'm eating now). why not be easier? due to this, Peru is an undeveloped country with a low level of culture... yes, there's lack of education and technologies.... and it's sad actually!!!
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:43 pm

skiller3000 wrote:Internet - as a programmer, I can see the absolute lack of interest to computer science here, or they just make it in peruvian way.

Interesting. I did see an interest in Computer Science, and computing in general, it just seems limited by the infrastructure. But I did see interest in stuff like, networks, when I was down there.
skiller3000

Postby skiller3000 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:48 pm

rama0929 wrote:
skiller3000 wrote:Internet - as a programmer, I can see the absolute lack of interest to computer science here, or they just make it in peruvian way.

Interesting. I did see an interest in Computer Science, and computing in general, it just seems limited by the infrastructure. But I did see interest in stuff like, networks, when I was down there.

yes but for example if they sell PC details - it's just a few models and all of them like - either it's cheap and bad either it's good but very expensive... for example look this site - http://www.citilink.ru/, check range of products they have... and see what they offer in Peru... and that's sad - I'm working over internet and it's more comfortable for me cause i don't need to go out to center of Lima everyday... regarding the lack of interest i meant more the programming itself - to see how computer works and so on... it's not so serious movement as in Russia - for example - my sister is web-designer, my brother is sys. admin and i'm programmer.... or maybe it's just cause i'm here for 2 years and didn't see all that sector...
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

renodante wrote:decent looking american dude with some money in his pocket and half a personality, even in his 50's, should have no problem with the opposite sex from the age range of early 30's (hell, sometimes even late 20's) to your own age.

You don't have to look decent.

Just foreign looking and all the girls in Miraflores will be interested in you...(r) money.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:57 am

skiller3000 wrote:
rama0929 wrote:

yes but for example if they sell PC details - it's just a few models and all of them like - either it's cheap and bad either it's good but very expensive... for example look this site - http://www.citilink.ru/, check range of products they have... and see what they offer in Peru... and that's sad - I'm working over internet and it's more comfortable for me cause i don't need to go out to center of Lima everyday... regarding the lack of interest i meant more the programming itself - to see how computer works and so on... it's not so serious movement as in Russia - for example - my sister is web-designer, my brother is sys. admin and i'm programmer.... or maybe it's just cause i'm here for 2 years and didn't see all that sector...

I agree that you won't find the selection that you'd find in the States, but if you were to go to, say, Malvinas (as well as a few other places), you can find the parts to build your own. There has to be something going on to have so many locutorios and internet cafe's around. I remember seeing schools and the like for computer related subjects like graphic design, programming, systems analysis and design (around Av Tacna, IIRC).

New Horizons has a school there
http://www.newhorizons.com/LocalWeb/def ... roupid=452

Senati also offers classes
http://pni.senati.ws/#!/blog/tag/linux

I also remember hearing about the AMCIS conference a couple of years ago, hosted in Lima
http://www.amcis2010.org/home/

At first blush, I would agree that there isn't as much an emphasis in Peru that you would find in Eurasia, but it's there
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:50 pm

You don't have to look decent.

Just foreign looking and all the girls in Miraflores will be interested in you...(r) money.

"You don't gotta love me hun, just be convincing." -The Clipse
El Tunche
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby El Tunche » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:52 pm

I dislike the fact that there is a lot of people here with an inferiority complex to foreigners. ...
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:46 pm

El Tunche wrote:I dislike the fact that there is a lot of people here with an inferiority complex to foreigners. ...

yeah you have to tread lightly sometimes don't you? sometimes i'm among friends and will be joking around and will say certain things with no ill intention and not even critical, but it's taken the wrong way, as if i'm being condescending.

for example i was at a party once and there was a garbage can full of nasty stuff in it and a bunch of liquid from beers etc. now, growing up me and my friends would always joke around and be like "what would be your minimum price to do ____?" and i said "what would you accept to drink the water from that?" and she was like "what would you give me?" and i got serious (in a joking way) and was like "a LOT, i would give you LOTS of stuff to drink that and pay big money." i was 100% joking because it was so gross, i simply meant such a feat would be worthy of something big. she responded "well, i don't NEED "lots of stuff" super serious and repeated it a few times. later i asked her about it b/c it bothered me and she confirmed that she thought i was being like the rich gringo who is going to make the third worlder do tricks for money, when that was completely not the case at all. one example of many.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:23 pm

renodante wrote:
El Tunche wrote:I dislike the fact that there is a lot of people here with an inferiority complex to foreigners. ...

Not only foreigners but also Peruvians that lived abroad, whenever there is a post online about People like Mario Vargas Llosa or Pedro Pablo Kuchinsky. You can see a lot of Peruvian replies with heavy insults.
They have the idea that everybody that is different from them in certain way is required to be excluded
violently.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:04 pm

falconagain wrote:
renodante wrote:

Not only foreigners but also Peruvians that lived abroad...

And pitucos
skiller3000

Postby skiller3000 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:24 pm

yes, indeed they have the inferiority complex.
I remember I was buying clothes in a tienda in the center of Lima and some weird-looking peruvian (must be seller) stepped close to me and asked - "do you speak inglesh?" with a terrible accent, despite the fact that the english is not my native language. after some thought, I decided that it is not necessary to disgrace myself in front of all the people and make a show, so I said to him - "no, no solo ruso y espanol" :shock: . from the outside, whole situation looked really ridiculous. just imagine - russian guy is trying to teach latinos to speak english :lol: . why they are so obsessed with the idea that the everything that comes from abroad is much better than same thing from Peru? and pitucos, sometimes it seems to me, they have some defect of the facial nerve cause of the way they talk like...
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:39 pm

How is someone asking you if you speak English a sign of an inferiority complex? If you're obviously foreign, he may very well of thought that he could help you.

Instead of making wild generalizations about Peruvians, why don't we stick with talking about things we like and don't like about Peru. If you don't like the people, fine. Say so. But I think the whole idea of saying that "they're all ______________ (fill in the blank with whatever pejorative you wish)" is racist and uncalled for, and really not welcome on this forum.
skiller3000

Postby skiller3000 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:07 am

Kelly wrote:How is someone asking you if you speak English a sign of an inferiority complex? If you're obviously foreign, he may very well of thought that he could help you.

no, normally I'd think the same, but why he can't practice english with another person but me? sometimes I can ask something at street and so on, and also I can help some people if they need it... there's nothing wrong about it. it's just the way he was treating me made me think like i'm something more superior than him... and it's like i don't know... weird. and obviously, the center of Lima is not good place for practice languages, at least, in my opinion :)
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:59 am

What do you reckon Marcope, another one gone down the gurgler.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:24 am

TonyLeslie wrote:What do you reckon Marcope, another one gone down the gurgler.

Its just like watching a trainwreck sometimes :wink:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:28 am

I like everything about Peru. (apart from Lima) It's the best country in the world to live.

People are friendly, scenery is beautifull and there's so much freedom.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:32 pm

no, normally I'd think the same, but why he can't practice english with another person but me? sometimes I can ask something at street and so on, and also I can help some people if they need it... there's nothing wrong about it. it's just the way he was treating me made me think like i'm something more superior than him... and it's like i don't know... weird. and obviously, the center of Lima is not good place for practice languages, at least, in my opinion

you've totally lost me.

a dude just asks if you speak english, and he has an inferiority complex?

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register