Best Sushi in Lima?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
kristidnyc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Best Sushi in Lima?

Postby kristidnyc » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:57 pm

I'm dying to have some good sushi, but wouldn't even know where to start looking. I'm guessing there HAS to be a good sushi place here, given there are some many Peruvians of Japanese descent. However, in my experience Peruvians aren't very successful in making "foreign foods", like Pizza, Falafel, etc. I wouldn't want to pay S./40 for bad sushi... Please help!

Peace2009
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Best Sushi in Lima?

Postby Peace2009 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:06 am

Near the U.S embassy, there is a very good sushi place, albeit expensive... It is next to some Scotiabank ATM machines.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:48 am

In Miraflowers on Colon and San Martin is Maido, great sushi and nice wine selection but not cheap.
canadiantraveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby canadiantraveller » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:55 am

Edo beside the Canadian Embassy in Miraflores is one of my favorite places for Sushi in the city.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:06 pm

sbaustin wrote:In Miraflowers on Colon and San Martin is Maido, great sushi and nice wine selection but not cheap.

kristidnyc wrote:I'm dying to have some good sushi, but wouldn't even know where to start looking. I'm guessing there HAS to be a good sushi place here, given there are some many Peruvians of Japanese descent. However, in my experience Peruvians aren't very successful in making "foreign foods", like Pizza, Falafel, etc. I wouldn't want to pay S./40 for bad sushi... Please help!

Peace2009 wrote:Near the U.S embassy, there is a very good sushi place, albeit expensive... It is next to some Scotiabank ATM machines.

I think this is a big gap in the market and an excellent business opportunity. AN AFFORDABLE SUSHI RESTAURANT.

Products used to make Sushi aren't expensive so why does Sushi have to be expensive. It's not difficult to prepare either and the products can be bought at any market or supermarket.
Alejandro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alejandro » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:27 pm

Don Katsu, not necessarily the best sushi in Lima but is good and affordable

http://www.donkatsu.com.pe
kristidnyc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby kristidnyc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:04 pm

el conquistador wrote:
I think this is a big gap in the market and an excellent business opportunity. AN AFFORDABLE SUSHI RESTAURANT.

Products used to make Sushi aren't expensive so why does Sushi have to be expensive. It's not difficult to prepare either and the products can be bought at any market or supermarket.

I think that's a great idea. Sushi is really easy to make and I know that sushi chefs spend years in training, but I'm happy with even decently looking sushi, as long as it tastes great :roll:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will definitely try them out.

So to summarize, good sushi (but expensive) can be found at:
Maido -- In Miraflowers on Colon and San Martin
Edo beside the Canadian Embassy in Miraflores
Sushi Ito near the U.S embassy

And relatively good but affordable sushi can be found at:
Don Katsu - Horacio Kachai Diaz 216, Santa Catalina

Mmmmmmmm... My mouth is watering now.
Last edited by kristidnyc on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:48 pm

This article is a few years old, but it's very comprehensive overview of Lima's Sushi restaurants. Keep in mind it's only one person's opinion, but you might find it helpful.
http://archive.livinginperu.com/gastron ... tures-1295

BTW, the restaurant by the embassey is Sushi Ito.
sarita
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sarita » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:46 am

i personally like oceanika in san borja by the pentagonito. it has a 40 soles sushi bar all you can eat. drinks are usually 2 X1 a well ( alcoholic that is). they also have dishes available. it does get pretty packed but i always end up liking their sushi way more than the super fancy expensive sushi places.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register