New Mexican Restaurant

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
amylimena
Gold Member
Gold Member

New Mexican Restaurant

Postby amylimena » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:49 pm

I just got back from a delicious meal at Burrito Bar in Barranco. It's a small place with a simple menu but really tasty! It reminds me of the burrito joints back home...kind of similar to the chain Chipotle.

The burritos actually come in large flour tortillas that are rolled and then wrapped in aluminum foil so you can eat it properly...unlike most of the "tacos" you find in Lima. The burritos came with beans, rice, cheese, meat, sour cream, salsa and guacamole. They have great chips and guacamole and margaritas too! They also sell tacos that looked pretty good.

The address is Miguel Grau 113 in Barranco. It's about two blocks from the main plaza heading towards Chorrillos (not Miraflores). I recommend it...it's nothing like I've ever had in Lima before!

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Mexican Restaurant

Postby americorps » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:45 pm

This is great, thank you for that. I really miss Mexican food.

I make it to Como Agua Para Chocolate to get some of the greatest Mole south of Mexico, and I love their food, but I miss the more simple things like burritos, enchiladas, Carnitas...
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:11 pm

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try this place when I get back to Lima. Here's some information from the trip advisor website
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... -Lima.html

Right now, they have them listed as the second most popular restaurant in Lima....crazy!
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:41 pm

Good to know. When I am in Lima I often go out in Barranco.

In La Selva aren't mexican restaurants but I prepare mexican food myself. Probably the best.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:46 pm

Thanks for this, I checked for the Burrito Bar in Facebook and it looks great. Sometimes it's good to have a break from Peruvian food, so I hope they don't feel the need to change the flavors to cater more towards the Peruvian palate.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:33 am

I went here on Friday and it was great. I had a beef burrito extra spicy and some nachos with guacamole. Both were excellent. I would highly recommend it. I'll be going back to try the tacos next time and maybe a margarita :)
kristidnyc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby kristidnyc » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:21 am

I agree that the Burrito Bar is excellent. We've been there twice now, since it's only a couple of blocks from our apartment and a great healthier option for fast food.

The owner, Stu, is from England, and he's a really nice guy. Who knew the English could make burritos?

Definitely one of the best cheap places to eat in Lima - S./10 for a burrito! Absolutely delicious food. They only have tacos, burritos and salads, though. Plus chips & salsa. And a chocolate tamal that we haven't tried yet. And to drink beer, margaritas, sodas, etc.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:14 pm

I wanted to add my two cents worth to this post and would totally recommend this place in Barranco. We went there today, I had the carnitas burrito and my husband had the carnitas tacos. Excellent food, margaritas were really good as well. Choice of balck beans or red, rice, sour cream, guacamole, cheese, vegetables, very flavorful. Stu, the owner, told us he is considering adding fish tacos to the menu in the near future. They are closed Sunday night and Monday.
salintl

Postby salintl » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:15 am

I agree - definitely the best gringo-mex food in Lima! The chocolate tamales are incredible. I just wish they served horchata - is there anywhere in Lima that serves horchata?
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:01 am

Do they have micheladas?
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:06 pm

I hit this place twice a month / the owner is cool / lots of fun / Just go
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:23 pm

We finally made it out to the Burrito Bar tonight - We loved it! It really is as good as everyone is saying it is. Even the 13 year old loved it. The chips and salsa were amazing, the fresh guacamole was delicious. The prices have gone up a little since Kristi posted - price for a burrito is now S/12 - but my goodness, one burrito is more than any one of us could eat. Fed three people for less than $20. The kid and I both had burritos, the husband had the "3 tacos for S/12". We will definitely be heading back.
vida.en.peru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vida.en.peru » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:52 pm

Can any of you recommend how to get there from Surco via bus since we don't have a car? I've been craving something different, particularly Mexican!
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:40 pm

I would take the Metro as it is only a block or two from the station.
vida.en.peru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vida.en.peru » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:57 am

Alpineprince wrote:I would take the Metro as it is only a block or two from the station.

Great! Thank you :D
wojcmich0206

Postby wojcmich0206 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:28 pm

LOVED THIS PLACE!! VERY GOOD SUGESTION!!
vida.en.peru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vida.en.peru » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:45 am

My family & I went there twice already & loved it! Reminded us a lot of those great hidden gems they have in NYC :)
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:52 pm

What a horrible disappointment! I was determined to check out this place today after reading all of your glowing reviews! So we went over to Barranco this afternoon - and it was gone! Like really gone! We even went into another business on the street and asked about them. The shopkeeper was so determined that the Burrito Bar was there (and that we had missed it), that she walked down there with us. She was shocked when it really wasn't there. No sign about a new address or anything. Just an ugly, dirty, empty space! Had an OK meal somewhere else. Didn't make up for the Mexican food I was all worked up for.
Loving Living in Lima
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:26 am

You know, you remind me of Ralph Wiggum

Nobody cares that you make your own burritos.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:35 am

rama0929 wrote:You know, you remind me of Ralph Wiggum

Nobody cares that you make your own burritos.

yes, why would I care about a comment about cooking at home when the conversation is about finding food I like for eating out.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:38 am

chi chi, those are some awesome stock photos you googled. How about posting some of your own photos with recipes to help some of us out?
jimbriani

Postby jimbriani » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:51 am

is this place really closed down? I was there less than a week ago.
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:17 am

chi chi wrote:Just make your own ...

Chich: Apparently you misread my post. I was not seeking recipes or cooking instructions or Google photos (I have plenty of my own). I was writing about my disappointment in trying to visit a restaurant that had been recommended and finding out that it had closed.
Loving Living in Lima
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:20 am

Yes, totally closed and looking for all the world like nothing has ever been there! This is what shocked me because I knew there were people on this forum who had been there recently. I thought I must have been overlooking it until the local went looking with me - and she was more shocked than I was! I'm hoping someone will know where they went.

jimbriani wrote:is this place really closed down? I was there less than a week ago.
Loving Living in Lima
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:22 am

They are closed on Mondays. Is that when you walked by?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Burrito-B ... 59?sk=info
Hours
Tue - Sat: 12:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Sun: 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:54 am

Yes! It was yesterday - Monday! Wow! It never occurred to me that could be the answer. And although it looked like it was totally vacant - and had been for years - I'm betting that you've got the answer! I will try to get back over there as soon as possible - if for no other reason, so that I can clear this up for those on the forum who are craving Mexican food and I may have led astray! Thank you!
Loving Living in Lima
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:10 pm

The same thing happened to us twice last year. We went on a Monday not knowing they were closed and then went back another day and the owner had taken an emergency trip back to the UK. Third time was a charm and so glad we kept trying...it was great and so delicious. The place does look like an empty space when they are closed.....we talked to a woman who lives across the street and she assured us they were still around. You might give them a call before going again just in case.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm glad you cleared that up - I teared up a little at the though of no more Burrito Bar, it's my kid's favorite place now!

And I deleted the annoying post without realizing everyone and their horse had replied to it, sorry.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:44 pm

I can confirm that Burrito Bar is still open - the husband brought burritos home last night.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:52 pm

I will coax my wife, who works in Barranco; to invite me for lunch at this place.
I also recommend Tony Roma's in Miraflores (across from J W Marriott); ribs at 50 soles for a large order.
I was disappointed with the papas fritos; they tasted frozen - for these prices only FRESH for me!

GREAT POST; the owner should give you a free meal for the great PR!!!

When I was the manager of a restaurant for two (2) years after graduating with a BS in education; I asked the owner to try a "Referral Bonus" plan. Our business increased some 43%; he cut back on his other advertising & the "bottom line" was he was still doing a good 300% profit!!!

Was there in May 2012, for a FREE MEAL & he is still using my promotion; "word of mouth does sell...".
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:53 pm

I will coax my wife, who works in Barranco; to invite me for lunch at this place.
I also recommend Tony Roma's in Miraflores (across from J W Marriott); ribs at 50 soles for a large order.
I was disappointed with the papas fritos; they tasted frozen - for these prices only FRESH for me!

GREAT POST; the owner should give you a free meal for the great PR!!!

When I was the manager of a restaurant for two (2) years after graduating with a BS in education; I asked the owner to try a "Referral Bonus" plan. Our business increased some 43%; he cut back on his other advertising & the "bottom line" was he was still doing a good 300% profit!!!

Was there in May 2012, for a FREE MEAL & he is still using my promotion; "word of mouth does sell...".
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:47 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:I asked the owner to try a "Referral Bonus" plan. Our business increased some 43%; he cut back on his other advertising & the "bottom line" was he was still doing a good 300% profit!!!

Many restaurants in tourist places like Miraflores (Calle de las Pizzas) already have jaladores that try to get people in the restaurants.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:18 am

chi chi wrote:
Philipc4u59 wrote:I asked the owner to try a "Referral Bonus" plan. Our business increased some 43%; he cut back on his other advertising & the "bottom line" was he was still doing a good 300% profit!!!

Many restaurants in tourist places like Miraflores (Calle de las Pizzas) already have jaladores that try to get people in the restaurants.

Not remotely the same thing, nor even the same concept.

A referral from someone who is a customer means something to me, a guy bothering me in the street annoys me, nothing more. I generally do not eat at places with jaladores, shop in shops where I feel pressured or take tours from people who accost me.

I will, however, go to some place on a friends suggestion.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:22 am

I AGREE!
Most posters that "know" me should realize that - I MAKE MY OWN DECISIONS; I too, am "turned off" by people trying to persuade me to do something that they are being paid to do. Share with me your PERSONAL EXPERIENCES; I will take it from there...

Kelly, I realize that their are a few recommended places for gringos - as per rrestaurants; but I feel there could be much more sharing of info. Can a forum be organized where posters recommend places in various locations - for all the major dining experiences?

"Identify your favorite eateries; with georgaphical diversity":

* American
* Mexican
* Italian
* European/Greek
* Pizza

You get the idea; places for breakfast, lunch & dinner - with "democratic" pricing (as one poster states)...

We will be enjoying the taco promo - this week; I am sure we will be thrilled...
bullfrog

Postby bullfrog » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:34 pm

well, the service is worse than any 6 sole joint i've been to, but it's close, i'll still go back, but getting someone to take your order or even look at you is difficult for me. i've only ever seen 1 or 2 people working there, went a couple times, waited, and left. maybe i'm not patient enough. how long does it take you guys to get someone to talk to you? i think i'll start offering my roomate a free lunch if they go pick up the food for me.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:50 pm

My wife & I had a difficult time finding this place (the cabbies were not aware of same).
The place in my opinion is dingy & the service could be upgraded; we paid 14 soles for an order of tacos - wouldn't order again. I guess we were expecting - MUCH BETTER?

Philip & Rosmery :roll:
PS - any couples want to get together to explore another Mexican restaurant or unique offering???
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Did they use corn tortillas for the tacos? Flour tortillas just do not cut it.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:42 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:My wife & I had a difficult time finding this place (the cabbies were not aware of same).
The place in my opinion is dingy & the service could be upgraded; we paid 14 soles for an order of tacos - wouldn't order again. I guess we were expecting - MUCH BETTER?

PS - any couples want to get together to explore another Mexican restaurant or unique offering???

Care to elaborate?
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:06 am

HOW CAN I BE OF SERVICE - TO YOU, MY FRIEND?
Elaborate on our dinning experience or other situations...

Be good,
Philip :roll:
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:49 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:HOW CAN I BE OF SERVICE - TO YOU, MY FRIEND?
Elaborate on our dinning experience or other situations...

Be good,

The dining experience. Was the food subpar, service subpar? Was it not what you expected? How was it dingy?
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:00 am

From my expectations/experience of managing a fast food restaurant in the US:

1. The food quality, portions & pricing was - AVERAGE
2. The service was - POOR; we only had time for a quick lunch & were rushed to eat
3. What I had expected from reading in expat peru - DISAPPOINTED
4. The place was not clean & the concrete floor had broken spots (dangerous) - POOR

Maybe for Lima, this place is OK - but I will not return.

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:From my expectations/experience of managing a fast food restaurant in the US:

2. The service was - POOR; we only had time for a quick lunch & were rushed to eat
4. The place was not clean & the concrete floor had broken spots (dangerous) - POOR

It seems a repeated theme, it is not like it was at home, so you are disappointed. It is all a matter of perspective. In a place where Mexican food almost does not exist, it is a great treat to find something close. The price, well, it is reasonable to me. Again, perspective. The service, no excuse for bad or slow service, but the value of rapid service here is not the USA value...it is a more casual culture..and that has benefits and drawbacks, but it is what it is.

Us safety standards are also not Peruvian safety standards. I hope you grow more comfortable with adapting to a new and different culture and a new and different set of values over time.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:54 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:From my expectations/experience of managing a fast food restaurant in the US:

i have eaten there also, about a year ago. has it changed that much in one year :shock:
my experience:
1. food quality - average (i was expecting more of an authentic flavor)
2. Service was great!
3. neither disappointed :( or excited :P
4. it was very clean, with no broken concrete
the owner was there and took my order, very nice guy.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:10 pm

It's always tough to recommend a restaurant as the quality of restaurants always goes up and down.
Restaurants that are good now can become bad overnight.

With the low pay and low respect of chefs in Peru, good chefs change job often. Anytime they get a better offer of pay, they move working place. And many of the best chefs move abroad where they can make much more money and where they get more respect for their work.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:56 pm

I don't know, average is pretty good for Lima. Not sure why you'd be rushed. Haven't had that experience yet in Lima. Were there a lot of people around?

Dust is to be expected, I guess, either from outside or from the construction. I'll have to check it out my next trip there. I ran my own kitchen, and I cooked in college back in the day, so I'm interested in the experiences of others and learning from their mistakes. Sounds like you may have caught the restaurant on an "off" day, it happens to the best of them.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:53 pm

The owner is gringo so I do not think you can blame any service on stereo typed cultural differences.
dh2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dh2012 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:11 pm

I really like the place, nice and fresh food, decent price and i like the little hole in the wall feel.

But i have walked out twice after being ignored or having people turn their backs on me when i try to order or even say hello. When the owner is not there the service slips a great deal... go to segundo muelle or astrid and gaston and you can see how great service can be. (yes i know its a different league) service can still be great when wages are low like in starbucks for example or kentucky.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:22 am

THIS WAS OUR PROBLEM, now that I am informed the owner is a gringo/male - he was NOT PRESENT!
We were meeting with some potential investors regarding a joint education business venture; they were British & German - they were expecting a "quick, business lunch" - DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!

I am all for a laid-back Peruvian lunch; but influencial people have only a limited amount of time.
As per a previous question, I don't remember what the tacos were made of - flour or corn; I was so nervous, as these investors relied upon my suggestion of a Mexican place & obviously - we all were DISAPPOINTED.

calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:08 am

When I was last there, they had both flour and corn tortillas. The burritos are made with flour and the soft tacos with corn.

Philip: I think your expectations are somewhat off. Bottom line, this is a taqueria. Hole in the wall taco place, using fresh, tasty ingredients. I really enjoyed eating here, but not the place I'd consider taking potential business investors, considering all the other places to choose from in Lima.
alexPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alexPeru » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:01 pm

As much as I love the burrito bar, it's definitely not a place I would take business partners or potential clients.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register