Gaston's LaMar not a hit with everyone in NY

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
User avatar
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: Gaston's LaMar not a hit with everyone in NY

Postby rama0929 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:55 am

tupacperu wrote:http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-11-09/acurio-s-5-5-million-la-mar-serves-bland-ceviche-ryan-sutton.html


Good to know, I guess.

I tend to stay away from dining experiences in Manhattan (too expensive for what you get), if I have a craving for Peruvian, I'd go Queens or Westchester.

I've heard many a complaint in the differences in cebiches here and Peru, I guess the reviewer's dislike should come as no surprise.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 843
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Re: Gaston's LaMar not a hit with everyone in NY

Postby falconagain » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:27 am

Looks like Gaston might need to travel to NY or send one to supervise the operation.

The Peruvian lemon is the one that provides the good flavor to the ceviche, without
it they use american lemon or chemical substitutes that have a weird flaveor.

In regards to both the tiradito and the ceviche, both dishes depend on the quality
of fish that is served. The japanese served a fresher kind of fish (specially
preserved with a technology that is not available in Peru) which provides
a rich sweetness, there is no way for Peruvia seafood to compete with
that because we do not have the money to afford that technology.
But I guess the point of the reporter is that he can go to a Japanese restaurant
and pay less or the same amount of money and get a better dish.

A causa or a escabeche will not be able to compare with other world class foods
offered in the same area. Still I think that everything depends on who is in charge
present at the Restaurant. I do not think that the success that Gaston has had so
far is only hot air.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:08 am

Re: Gaston's LaMar not a hit with everyone in NY

Postby jude » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Sounds about right.

It's similar to my experience with La Mar in San Francisco. The space is beautiful and they have great cocktails, but dinner is extremely expensive with often mediocre food. The best bet is to go during happy hour, have a couple of drinks and appetizers while enjoying the view.
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Re: Gaston's LaMar not a hit with everyone in NY

Postby tupacperu » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:30 pm

My Peruvian wife has long critized to food served in LAMAR. She is from Chiclayo and knows Cebiche :-) lol.
We visited the restaurant in San Miguel. Beautiful design and ambiance.
User avatar
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:55 am

Re: Gaston's LaMar not a hit with everyone in NY

Postby calygirl » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:05 pm

tupacperu wrote:My Peruvian wife has long critized to food served in LAMAR. She is from Chiclayo and knows Cebiche :-) lol.
We visited the restaurant in San Miguel. Beautiful design and ambiance.



Which restaurant in San Miguel?
Ruud
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:40 pm
Location: Tarapoto

Re: Gaston's LaMar not a hit with everyone in NY

Postby Ruud » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:20 am

tupacperu wrote:http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-11-09/acurio-s-5-5-million-la-mar-serves-bland-ceviche-ryan-sutton.html


One of the comments at the article reflects my opinion and observation best:
"Charles Kaley

Peruvians are taught to be nationalistic by their media. They are constantly bombarded by their media about how great Peru is, especially their food. Furthermore, authentic "foreign cuisines" is impossible to find in Peru due to a lack of ingredients and the reluctance of Peruvians to try anything different. (I should know... my wife is Peruvian) You can't find things as common as whole wheat flour, real lemons (not the limes they insist on calling lemons), hazelnuts, chestnuts, kale, turnips, etc. Every time I go there I am truly dumbfounded by the lack of ingredients. The majority of comments here are Peruvians who can't conceive (the sacrilege!) that their could be anything better than something that is "Peruvian"."

Ruud
Last edited by Ruud on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Re: Gaston's LaMar not a hit with everyone in NY

Postby tupacperu » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:39 pm

calygirl wrote:
tupacperu wrote:My Peruvian wife has long critized to food served in LAMAR. She is from Chiclayo and knows Cebiche :-) lol.
We visited the restaurant in San Miguel. Beautiful design and ambiance.



Which restaurant in San Miguel?


Correction: bordering Magdelena Miraflores (been years since last visit)
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:08 am

Re: Gaston's LaMar not a hit with everyone in NY

Postby jude » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:07 pm

Ruud wrote:
tupacperu wrote:http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-11-09/acurio-s-5-5-million-la-mar-serves-bland-ceviche-ryan-sutton.html


One of the comments at the article reflects my opinion en observation best:
"Charles Kaley

Peruvians are taught to be nationalistic by their media. They are constantly bombarded by their media about how great Peru is, especially their food. Furthermore, authentic "foreign cuisines" is impossible to find in Peru due to a lack of ingredients and the reluctance of Peruvians to try anything different. (I should know... my wife is Peruvian) You can't find things as common as whole wheat flour, real lemons (not the limes they insist on calling lemons), hazelnuts, chestnuts, kale, turnips, etc. Every time I go there I am truly dumbfounded by the lack of ingredients. The majority of comments here are Peruvians who can't conceive (the sacrilege!) that their could be anything better than something that is "Peruvian"."

Ruud


I agree 100% I like Peruvian food well enough, but I can think of at least a dozen other cuisines that blow it out of the water.

As for Gaston, he's a brilliant businessman and self-promoter. On occasion I've wound up Peruvian friends by reminding them that he trained as a chef in France, so maybe his food could best be described at French-Peruvian.
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2838
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Gaston's LaMar not a hit with everyone in NY

Postby Alan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:12 pm

jude wrote:I agree 100% I like Peruvian food well enough, but I can think of at least a dozen other cuisines that blow it out of the water.



Wow... A dozen? Which ones? Either I am missing out on some good cookin, or you are stretching it a little.

My own favorites are Thai, Chinese, Turkish and French.. but I am hard pressed to find many others that come close to Peruvian cuisine in terms of flavors and variety.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:08 am

Re: Gaston's LaMar not a hit with everyone in NY

Postby jude » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:57 pm

Alan wrote:
jude wrote:I agree 100% I like Peruvian food well enough, but I can think of at least a dozen other cuisines that blow it out of the water.



Wow... A dozen? Which ones? Either I am missing out on some good cookin, or you are stretching it a little.

My own favorites are Thai, Chinese, Turkish and French.. but I am hard pressed to find many others that come close to Peruvian cuisine in terms of flavors and variety.


Yeah, that was a bit of an exaggeration. But here are 10 that I prefer to Peruvian: French, Singaporean, Thai, Chinese, Italian, Turkish, Mexican, Indian, Lebanese and Japanese.
Ruud
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:40 pm
Location: Tarapoto

Re: Gaston's LaMar not a hit with everyone in NY

Postby Ruud » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:33 pm

jude wrote:
Alan wrote:
jude wrote:I agree 100% I like Peruvian food well enough, but I can think of at least a dozen other cuisines that blow it out of the water.



Wow... A dozen? Which ones? Either I am missing out on some good cookin, or you are stretching it a little.

My own favorites are Thai, Chinese, Turkish and French.. but I am hard pressed to find many others that come close to Peruvian cuisine in terms of flavors and variety.


Yeah, that was a bit of an exaggeration. But here are 10 that I prefer to Peruvian: French, Singaporean, Thai, Chinese, Italian, Turkish, Mexican, Indian, Lebanese and Japanese.


Although not exactly in that order I agree completely. (What about Spanish and Spanish tapas?)
One thing I always miss in the discussion about Peruvian cuisine compared to others is:
In Peruvian restaurants you will find the same dishes or slight varieties of what people cook at home. That's why I tend to describe Peruvian cuisine as 'home cooking food'.

Compare this to other countries, at least in the west. You go out eating because you want to try something different, something special. You want to be surprised.

In the original article they talk about deserts. Ever seen deserts on a menu in a typical Peruvian restaurant? And if, same thing, not much of a variety, boring.

Ruud
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2838
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Gaston's LaMar not a hit with everyone in NY

Postby Alan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:13 am

Ruud wrote:One thing I always miss in the discussion about Peruvian cuisine compared to others is:
In Peruvian restaurants you will find the same dishes or slight varieties of what people cook at home. That's why I tend to describe Peruvian cuisine as 'home cooking food'.

Compare this to other countries, at least in the west. You go out eating because you want to try something different, something special. You want to be surprised.



If you want to be surprised with some dishes you have never even heard of before, but which are based on Peruvian ingredients and are somehow linked to Peruvian fare, try the cafeteria at the Cordon Bleu chef school. You will dine like a king (or a queen) with tragos, deserts, soups, the works, and walk (roll!) out of there with a $25 dollar tab. Pricey for some, I know, but not when you consider the food you get.


Dirección: Av. Vasco Nuñez de Balboa 530 - Miraflores, Lima
242 8222 #6 to make a reservation.
User avatar
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:55 am

Re: Gaston's LaMar not a hit with everyone in NY

Postby calygirl » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:53 pm

Totally agree with the Cordon Bleu suggestion...here's their website with a sample Dinner menu, they are also open for lunch.
http://www.cordonbleuperu.edu.pe/

We had a wonderful experience there last time I was in Lima, hope to go again when I return!
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:08 am

Re: Gaston's LaMar not a hit with everyone in NY

Postby jude » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:24 am

Thanks for the Cordon Bleu recommendation, it looks fabulous. I'll definitely try it next time I'm in Lima.
User avatar
asgoodasitgets
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:14 am

Re: Gaston's LaMar not a hit with everyone in NY

Postby asgoodasitgets » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:31 pm

Gaston is great. What he has done for Peru - Amazing! He's a clean mouthed South American Gordon Ramsey. Hope he does well he deserves it.
The Foundation of a Free Society is Freedom of Speech.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register