Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
User avatar
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Sol De La Molina

Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu May 03, 2012 10:38 pm

Government assesses that all foreigners pay for coming to Peru
The cost would be $ 30 and this would bring about a million dollars a month for the country

http://elcomercio.pe/turismo/1409795/no ... ar-al-peru

This will have direct implications on border hopping and family visits.


falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 843
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby falconagain » Thu May 03, 2012 11:32 pm

Another excellent idea by the politicians. Like when they said that
they could put out fires with gasoline. I still remember in the 90s
how difficult it was to convince people to come to Peru. Now that
they are coming our leaders are finding ways to chase them away.

If Peru is so wealthy, why do they keep looking for ways of getting
money. Maybe they should start addressing our real problems with
the money already earned if it is still there, start fixing the pollution
problem, build more roads, build more decent houses, fix the water
problem, increase the salaries of the average population.

I wonder if Peruvian Politicians will some day deliver something
useful like better schools, better jobs, less crime like in that
video of the movie head of state.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXLby6zDVG8
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby chi chi » Fri May 04, 2012 6:58 am

I don't mind pay $30 if the money is used to help Peruvians.
richiecry
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:43 am
Location: Lima

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby richiecry » Fri May 04, 2012 8:03 am

I actually do not mind paying the charges either. The only issue for me...as with any tax...is that the money goes towards something real/valid....but this can never really be verified can it? The $30 charge should also be for a stated time period....as a lot of backpackers use Lima as a base and travel around S.America but return to Lima because of it's location.
User avatar
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:44 am

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby roddd » Fri May 04, 2012 5:16 pm

chi chi wrote:I don't mind pay $30 if the money is used to help Peruvians.


so you wont mind paying $30 dollars to come back in to Peru every time you border hop then :lol:
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby chi chi » Fri May 04, 2012 10:42 pm

It will probably be a reprocity fine.
And will only be charged to people from countries like US, Albania, Canada...
User avatar
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Sol De La Molina

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat May 05, 2012 6:22 am

chi chi wrote:It will probably be a reprocity fine.
And will only be charged to people from countries like US, Albania, Canada...


Sorry Chi Chi et al

The proposal is being discussed at executive level at present, but only a matter of time before enforced.
The report clearly states this would apply to "all" foreign visitors to Peru and Manuel Talavera, president of Peruvian Communities Abroad of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is assuring the country that it would not effect tourism.
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2925
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby Alan » Sat May 05, 2012 8:42 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:
chi chi wrote:It will probably be a reprocity fine.
And will only be charged to people from countries like US, Albania, Canada...


Sorry Chi Chi et al

The proposal is being discussed at executive level at present, but only a matter of time before enforced.
The report clearly states this would apply to "all" foreign visitors to Peru and Manuel Talavera, president of Peruvian Communities Abroad of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is assuring the country that it would not effect tourism.


I have a hard time believing that they would be able to apply this to all the Bolivians, Ecuadoreans and Chileans who cross the border daily to work and to trade.. not quite the profile of "tourist" that we often have in mind. Seems strange, and for the relatively small amount of money it would collect, pretty unproductive considering the collection costs and ill will it would cause..
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
Jimmy111
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:53 am
Location: Callao

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby Jimmy111 » Sat May 05, 2012 8:56 pm

So its $30 to enter and $35 to leave.......
Add to that the $425 in taxes on my ticket and that is $490 in taxes split almost evenly between USA and Peru already. Not too long ago that was the price of the whole ticket.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby chi chi » Sat May 05, 2012 11:12 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:Manuel Talavera, president of Peruvian Communities Abroad of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is assuring the country that it would not effect tourism.


I think that it wouldn't affect tourism either. The $30 tax is still reasonable.

Brasil, Chile and Bolivia charge some people like Americans up to $140 to get in.

For Brasil, the fee for Americans is $140 and on top of that they have to apply for a visa beforehand.
I was in Brasil in February and was amazed by the amount of American tourists.
And not only the cruise ship type tourists (old Americans with a lot of gold jewellry) but a lot of young Americans.
User avatar
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1418
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby fanning » Sun May 06, 2012 4:02 pm

I understood at the moment most countries of the world need a visa for Peru. Only the 'western' countries and South america don't need visas. They will start asking the $30 for all countries, except South America as there is some sort of agreement within South America that they don't charge visa fees, and you can even travel with only your DNI ( so without a passport )
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby chi chi » Mon May 07, 2012 2:54 am

fanning wrote:I understood at the moment most countries of the world need a visa for Peru. Only the 'western' countries and South america don't need visas.


People from many Asian countries don't need a visa for Peru. They get a 183 days stamp.

People from Latin American countries will probably be exempt for the fee.

My gf and I have been travelling around Latin America this year. She didn't need a passport. Only her DNI.
User avatar
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby rama0929 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:55 pm

Alan wrote:I have a hard time believing that they would be able to apply this to all the Bolivians, Ecuadoreans and Chileans who cross the border daily to work and to trade.. not quite the profile of "tourist" that we often have in mind. Seems strange, and for the relatively small amount of money it would collect, pretty unproductive considering the collection costs and ill will it would cause..


I think people will pony up.

Having dealt with 3 people for a simple transaction (one to talk to, another to get an item, another to pay), I don't think productivity is high on the Peruvian list of priorities :D
Jimmy111
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:53 am
Location: Callao

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby Jimmy111 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:24 pm

If its only 3 than it must be a private party instead of the government. :D


rama0929 wrote:
Alan wrote:I have a hard time believing that they would be able to apply this to all the Bolivians, Ecuadoreans and Chileans who cross the border daily to work and to trade.. not quite the profile of "tourist" that we often have in mind. Seems strange, and for the relatively small amount of money it would collect, pretty unproductive considering the collection costs and ill will it would cause..


I think people will pony up.

Having dealt with 3 people for a simple transaction (one to talk to, another to get an item, another to pay), I don't think productivity is high on the Peruvian list of priorities :D
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby chi chi » Tue May 08, 2012 2:36 am

Jimmy111 wrote:If its only 3 than it must be a private party instead of the government. :D


rama0929 wrote:
Alan wrote:I have a hard time believing that they would be able to apply this to all the Bolivians, Ecuadoreans and Chileans who cross the border daily to work and to trade.. not quite the profile of "tourist" that we often have in mind. Seems strange, and for the relatively small amount of money it would collect, pretty unproductive considering the collection costs and ill will it would cause..


I think people will pony up.

Having dealt with 3 people for a simple transaction (one to talk to, another to get an item, another to pay), I don't think productivity is high on the Peruvian list of priorities :D


If they start working the same way in Europe and US then the unemployment rates will be a lot lower.
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby tupacperu » Fri May 18, 2012 8:56 pm

$30 per person , family of 4 = $120.00
Too much, i will have to get my 9 month old a peruvian passport. Looks like I will
Be the only one paying. My wife and 10 year old are Peruvian.
I will have to get my CE again, if I decide to return. I border hop to Florida alot while I live in Peru
CE will be necessary.
User avatar
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:44 am

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby roddd » Sat May 19, 2012 3:10 am

will it work in Peru ?
i did heard a rumour a few years ago that the US were going to stop the UK waiver visa but if they did that a lot of people from the UK who go to the US to go to Disney World would not go and it would affect Tourism , but then again a lot of tourists that go to Peru may only go once i have known several people that have saved for years for a once in a life time trip to Peru so a one off tax may not make any difference.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby chi chi » Sat May 19, 2012 4:29 am

roddd wrote:will it work in Peru ?
a lot of tourists that go to Peru may only go once i have known several people that have saved for years for a once in a life time trip to Peru so a one off tax may not make any difference.


I don't think either that it will affect tourism. Peru is already one of the cheapest countries in the world to travel.
What are people going to do who don't want to pay the entry charge? Going for a vacation to Brasil or Chile instead? Their vacation will be far more expensive. For sure, they'll rather pay a $30 entry charge and save a lot of money on food and accomodation in Peru.
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: Entry Charges in to Peru are getting closer

Postby Kelly » Sat May 19, 2012 3:40 pm

I'd much rather see tourists paying a tax than see Peruvians getting higher taxes. We have tourist taxes in Central Florida, doesn't seem to have slowed down any of the visitors to Disney or Universal.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register