running partner in Miraflores

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
dodgisimo

running partner in Miraflores

Postby dodgisimo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi All,

I know myself well enough to know that I need a running partner to get fit and stay fit -- if I don't have someone who gives me the occasional push, I just can't get myself out the door regularly!

With that in mind, I'm looking for someone who lives near Larcomar and would like to meet there or nearby and go running on the Malecon at least 3 times a week (the minimum amount, I've read, to make progress and stay fit).

Here's the essential info:

I'm a guy in my mid-thirties (would need someone around my age, 10 years plus or minus, so we could run at the same pace), and I'm a native English speaker but fluent in Spanish and Italian and decent in French (so those languages would work for communication).

I'm totally out of shape right now (but I'm just a little overweight -- to give an idea of the running pace I'm looking for), so would need to start from square one with any program. I know of a great easy running program that results in being able to run consecutively for 20 mins after 10 weeks of training, then 30 mins consecutively after 10 more weeks, meaning that one would be aerobically fit by then (ref: "The Runner's Handbook" by Bob Glover). I've done it before, and it's pain-free, if done with patience and regularity.

As for times, my work allows for a fair amount of flexibility, though I would prefer early mornings on weekdays and late afternoons on weekends.

Just want to stress that I need someone who's serious about getting fit. Feel free to pass this message on to friends who are complaining about needing exercise! :) Would also appreciate any pointers about runner's clubs here in Lima that have beginner running programs, or any other groups that people know about already.

Thanks a lot!

rideout

Re: running partner in Miraflores

Postby rideout » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:12 pm

dodgisimo wrote:Hi All,

I know myself well enough to know that I need a running partner to get fit and stay fit -- if I don't have someone who gives me the occasional push, I just can't get myself out the door regularly!

With that in mind, I'm looking for someone who lives near Larcomar and would like to meet there or nearby and go running on the Malecon at least 3 times a week (the minimum amount, I've read, to make progress and stay fit).

Here's the essential info:

I'm in my mid-thirties (would need someone around my age, 10 years plus or minus, so we could run at the same pace), and I'm a native English speaker but fluent in Spanish and Italian and decent in French (so those languages would work for communication).

I'm totally out of shape right now, so would need to start from square one. I know of a great easy running program that results in being able to run consecutively for 20 mins after 10 weeks of training, then 30 mins consecutively after 10 more weeks, meaning that one would be aerobically fit by then (ref: "The Runner's Handbook" by Bob Glover). I've done it before, and it's pain-free, if done with patience and regularity.

As for times, my work allows for a fair amount of flexibility, though I would prefer early mornings on weekdays and late afternoons on weekends.

Just want to stress that I need someone who's serious about getting fit. Feel free to pass this message on to friends who are complaining about needing exercise! :) Would also appreciate any pointers about runner's clubs here in Lima that have beginner running programs, or any other groups that people know about already.

Thanks a lot!

Oh due, I wish I still lived in Miraflores cuz I would be all over this! Unfortunately, I live in La Molina near the Ate border. :(
dodgisimo

Postby dodgisimo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:18 pm

rideout wrote:Oh due, I wish I still lived in Miraflores cuz I would be all over this! Unfortunately, I live in La Molina near the Ate border. :(

Bummer! Maybe someone'll see your post here though. Good luck
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:28 pm

The Hash House Harriers are as social as they are athletic and only meet on weekends, but I bet if you go once or twice you´d be able to meet some running partners at your level and in your neighborhood.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LimaHHH/

Good luck.
Aquarius123

Postby Aquarius123 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:49 am

Look, if you have a car, you could go to run to El Pentagonito in San Borja. You can park your car without problems. The best thing is that you will have to run 4,2 km (which is the round of this place) so this is a good reason to do it. Many people from different districts come to run and walk there especially on Sundays and Peru Runners practice there every day but very early in the morning around 5:45 am. Good luck.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:56 pm

If you run past San Miguel, I'll be your running mate.
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:07 pm

chi chi wrote:If you run past San Miguel, I'll be your running mate.

it will be like running with the invisible man
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:40 pm

roddd wrote:
chi chi wrote:If you run past San Miguel, I'll be your running mate.

it will be like running with the invisible man

For sure it will. I run quicker than my shadow.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Hello! My name is Mustafi Chukwuemeka Adetokunbo, but my friends call me Wuemeka. I have just moved to Lima from Kenya and I too am looking for a running partner. I run for twelve miles every morning, and another eight at night. I now run a 4 minute mile. I know this is slow, but no worry, I am aiming to run a 3:50 mile by next month. I most look forward to running with you, my new friend! Please respond with your contact information and where you would like to run. I am not so acquainted with Miraflores, but I would prefer to run in densely forested areas if you know of any.

Run with you soon,

Wuemeka

[stolen from here: http://dontevenreply.com/view.php?post=100]
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:20 pm

And my serious helpful answer is check out Peru Runners on Facebook. Peru Runners goes out at the ungodly hour of 6am and only deer hunting, bass fishing and earthquakes get me out of bed that early. But they are a great group of people of all levels. There are a few elites who give really helpful advice and encouragement. I highly recommend running with them if you can get out of bed that early. Also on race days it's great to have a group of people to hang out with during the boring pre-race moments.

I run 7.5 miles 4 days / week and about 12-15 on Saturdays at about an 8:30 pace. If anyone wants to join me I go at about 11am Tue,Wed,Fri,Sat,Sun. I can go at like a 9 min pace with a partner. My route is typically along Malecon. Here is my run from Saturday as recorded on my GPS watch: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/199157089 I'd love to have a partner if anyone wants to join me.

Here are some more routes (click to open link and toggle Google Map if Bing is not showing streets).

* Miraflores -> Chorillos Beach - Malecon w/hills 8 miles
* Miraflores Malecon 7.6 - flat
* Miraflores Beach - Climb Bajada Balta 3 miles
* Miraflores San Isidro Malecon - Golf - Flat 12 miles

All these routes have one thing in common --- optimized for minimal interaction with traffic.. well about as minimal as possible for Lima. You have to run at 5am if you really want to run the inner streets. Anyway, I hope this information is helpful to the Miraflores runners.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:58 pm

Hi,

I am running about 50 to 60 minutes every 3 days in Magdalena.. I run alone in an special place near my house, but it would be glad to be your running partner, I could go to Miraflores (if is needed) and follow your pace..

The only important thing is to get up very early in the morning.. at about 5:00 am.. to begin at about 5:10 or 5.20 AM

PM me..
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:29 pm

windsportinperu wrote:The only important thing is to get up very early in the morning.. at about 5:00 am.. to begin at about 5:10 or 5.20 AM
PM me..

I was interested in joining you guys but the above is really scaring me of. I am still sipping 7raices till 3am.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register