*Warning, major rant inside* Ripped bills.

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

*Warning, major rant inside* Ripped bills.

Postby renodante » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:20 am

Look, this is a vent session, so don't get all "not everyone is like that here," I know that. But here goes: if there's one thing that, without fail, still to this day makes me go into a near rage, if there's one thing I CANNOT and WILL NOT get used to, shrug off, etc, it's the #%**ing little ignorant tradition here of not accepting a bill that has a tear in it. Even a *%**ing TINY, ITTY BITTY TEENY WEENEY ITSY FRICKIN BITSY tear in it. Or a STAIN. Are you joking?!? Am I being "punked" right now? Is Ashton Kusher or some hidden camera going to reveal itself at some point to reveal that in fact I am just being messed with? Imagine if as soon as a 100 sole/dollar/euro bill got a tiny tear in it, BOOM it's worthless now. "Sorry, say bye bye to that hundred soles, tough crap...."

The really pathetic thing is, pretty much everyone realizes that you can bring a ripped bill to a bank and deposit it no problem. I know this isn't the states, where you can bring in a bill ripped totally in half and scotch taped, but still, you can bring them in, I've done it, and pretty much everyone knows it. But the hard headed morons will 8/10 times not accept your money if it has a little tear. I can't conceal my scorn and anger when this happens. I usually never give people a hard time, I do with that. I've shrugged and said, "well, I guess I'm not paying for my meal then." No I don't have another bill (When I had like 10 more in my pocket in fact), no way am I going to a bank and coming back for you, you have a choice, realize you're being stupid, or accept my bill, or lose my business. I told a taxi driver "well, call the police" as I walked out of his cab because he was bitching about a little tear on a 10, I just walked away as he freaked out and screamed at me from the taxi, and I'm here to tell ya, it felt fantastic.

This is by far, one of the stupidest urban legend tradition type things that goes on here. it's maddening. *Huff, huff, siiiighhhhh* ok, I'm ok now.

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: *Warning, major rant inside* Ripped bills.

Postby fanning » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:38 am

Every day I go and deposit the daily sales in the bank, and I get all kind of torn, damaged, painted etc bills. Basically a bank accepts any Nuevo Sol bill in whatever bad state it is ( at least if is is not a fake !! )
But with dollar bills you need to be more cautious. There can be a rip in it, but that rip cannot reach the 'green colored printing'. But if you deposit various dollar bills, they usually accept some of those in bad shape. ( Actually yesterday I deposited a $20 note with a corner missing out of it without problems )

The reason why banks accepts soles in whatever state, is that they can change them for new ones from the state. But dollar bills can only be got from the USA.
If the bank doesn't accept for example a badly torn $100, then you can change it outside with the streetchangers for around S/. 10 for a new one..
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:40 am

i'm talking about soles.

there needs to be some kind of PR campaign assuring the masses that bills don't die when they get a little rip or stain in them or i'm going to end up in a cell next to Vandersloot one day.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Renodante, why are you so enoyed about something small like that?

The reason why they probably didn't accept your bills is because you are a gringo and they think people have given you false bills.

I never had a problem with any bills. And have some now in my wallet that look like they have been used as toiletpaper previously.
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:20 pm

chi chi wrote:Renodante, why are you so enoyed about something small like that?

The reason why they probably didn't accept your bills is because you are a gringo and they think people have given you false bills.

I never had a problem with any bills. And have some now in my wallet that look like they have been used as toiletpaper previously.

well you must be lucky then in the 10 years i have been coming to Peru every note i have tried to use to buy something with has been looked at as if it is part of a crime scene forensic investigation ,a slight rip or pen mark and it wont be accepted by anyone
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:11 pm

roddd wrote:well you must be lucky then in the 10 years i have been coming to Peru every note i have tried to use to buy something with has been looked at as if it is part of a crime scene forensic investigation ,a slight rip or pen mark and it wont be accepted by anyone

I never had problems with soles, and I also have them sometimes like out of a toilet. Maybe 10 years ago with a fake bill, but the last couple of years they accept any bill, in any shop, bank etc.
But well, you know me, mostly I use my credit card, and then they for some reason always cautiously verify my DNI ;)
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:03 pm

I don't usually have problems with soles unless the tear is very obvious, but dollars are another thing. The most minuscule tear and they don't want to accept it.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:27 pm

just turn the tables around and inspect all of the bills you receive. I have received so many false and torn bills in the dark, so be careful when getting change at night or in dimly lit places. also, i had countless times people would not accept my torn bill! nothing new to me.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register