which district is most popular for expats to live

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
aki68
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:11 am

which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby aki68 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:24 am

I'm moving to Lima soon and was wondering if anyone could tell me which district, Mira Flores, San Isidro, Surco, Barranco is where the expats tend to live? It would help me a lot, Thanks
Amanda


simperu2012
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:48 am

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby simperu2012 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:46 am

It depends on your budget. Most expats move to Peru to save a bit of money, or at least make what they have last. Miraflores is a joke. In many places, for a decent apartment you will end up paying the same prices as in the U.S. Barranco is nice, and you may get lucky as I did and find a nice size apartment for a good price. Try other, less trodden areas like Lince, Jesus Maria, or Chorrillos. These are all nice, quiet districts off the beaten path that will give you more bang for your buck. Or Euro. Or Pound Sterling. Etc.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby chi chi » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:08 pm

aki68 wrote:I'm moving to Lima soon and was wondering if anyone could tell me which district, Mira Flores, San Isidro, Surco, Barranco is where the expats tend to live? It would help me a lot, Thanks
Amanda


The areas you mentioned are very expensive. Only very rich people can afford to live in those areas. You live cheaper in most big European cities than in those areas.
Not only rent is much more expensive in those areas. Utilities, food, restaurants are very expensive in those areas. People assume that if you can afford to live in those areas that you are rich and will charge you accordingly. If you don't speak spanish you will get skimmed easily.

I live in San Miguel. A nice district at the sea. Prices are democratic. The famous Plaza San Miguel is located there. One of the nicest shopping centres in Peru. There are direct buses from the airport to San Miguel.
Many expats live in San Miguel. Half of the people in the building I live in are foreigners.

I know several expats that live in Magdalena Del Mar. Another nice district at the sea. It's a bit more expensive than San Miguel but reasonable.

Pueblo Libre and Jesus Maria is nice too. They are located close to the historic downtown Lima.
aki68
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:11 am

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby aki68 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks for the heads up, your info helps a lot...I had heard on the grapevine that Miraflores, San Isidro etc were safer areas to live?..So what's the general opinion about Surco? good place to live or not the best part of town?
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby chi chi » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:26 pm

aki68 wrote:Thanks for the heads up, your info helps a lot...I had heard on the grapevine that Miraflores, San Isidro etc were safer areas to live?..So what's the general opinion about Surco? good place to live or not the best part of town?


Use common sense like at home and you'll be OK.

San Miguel, Magdalena Del Mar, Jesus Maria and Pueblo Libre are very safe.

Miraflores is a tourist area so many pickpockets around. Drugdealers, hookers and peadophilies are hanging around Parque Kennedy. Surco is very expensive. And a bit dull. Not too many things around. It's a residencial area.

If you can splash out a few $1000 a month then you can live in Surco, Miraflores or San Isidro.
aki68
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:11 am

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby aki68 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks Chi Chi....not don't have a few thousand to splash out in rent!...I'm also interested to know the average price of an appartment...I've been reading that in the next 30 years Peru will be in the top 50 biggest economies in the world, in other words Peru is on the way up in Latin America so as I'm moving to Peru I'm thinking that buying something as opposed to renting might be the way to go...is 400.000 soles expensive for an appartment? I have no idea about real estate in Lima, I'm slowly learning...all opinions welcome:)!
Comet

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby Comet » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:20 pm

chi chi wrote:
aki68 wrote:I'm moving to Lima soon and was wondering if anyone could tell me which district, Mira Flores, San Isidro, Surco, Barranco is where the expats tend to live? It would help me a lot, Thanks
Amanda


The areas you mentioned are very expensive. Only very rich people can afford to live in those areas. You live cheaper in most big European cities than in those areas.
Not only rent is much more expensive in those areas. Utilities, food, restaurants are very expensive in those areas. People assume that if you can afford to live in those areas that you are rich and will charge you accordingly. If you don't speak spanish you will get skimmed easily.

I live in San Miguel. A nice district at the sea. Prices are democratic. The famous Plaza San Miguel is located there. One of the nicest shopping centres in Peru. There are direct buses from the airport to San Miguel.
Many expats live in San Miguel. Half of the people in the building I live in are foreigners.

I know several expats that live in Magdalena Del Mar. Another nice district at the sea. It's a bit more expensive than San Miguel but reasonable.

Pueblo Libre and Jesus Maria is nice too. They are located close to the historic downtown Lima.


What exactly is a "democratic" price? I can´t quite figure out how a style of government is related to the rent of a house.
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby SilverbackPeru » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:45 pm

i would say try for Barranco, it's got lots of character, plenty of bars and restaurants etc and is a lot more cheaper than Miraflores, San Isidro And Surco. You might need to be careful around barranco tho as it can be pretty easy to be mugged in certain parts if you wander down the wrong street at night etc.

Miraflores is really nice, Park Kennedy and pizza street are attract tourists and so maybe a little bit of crime but there is so much more to Miraflores that those areas. There's lots of nice cosy streets with rich houses and expensive restaurants around, the coast is lined with parks and give a really nice long walk with great views. There's tennis clubs, gyms etc in the area, but god it's expensive ! what you get home wise probably won't be good value for your money! You will be looking at USA prices in terms of tent. San isidro will be expensive as well. Surco is a giant area so it vares depending on location, it's nice up the American embassy and the Peruvian military headquaters but it those places are a bit of a trek away.
alchemist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 am
Location: Geneva, Switzerland

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby alchemist » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:53 pm

In my district, I haven't seen one expat around here during the 15 months I've been here :)
It seems to be quite safe in the area as far as I've experienced it and according to locals. I live in pueblo menor de Santa Maria de Huachipa, about 20 minutes drive from Lima. The area maybe doesn't compare in modernity with others, but in the evening I appreciate the calm, this suits me fine as I practice meditation. (photo taken in Huachipa)
Attachments
facadetemple.jpg
facadetemple.jpg (24.87 KiB) Viewed 5607 times
* * *
“Why it's simply impassible!
Alice: Why, don't you mean impossible?
Door: No, I do mean impassible. (chuckles) Nothing's impossible!”
redrum
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:35 pm

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby redrum » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:29 pm

chi chi wrote:The areas you mentioned are very expensive. Only very rich people can afford to live in those areas. You live cheaper in most big European cities than in those areas.
Not only rent is much more expensive in those areas. Utilities, food, restaurants are very expensive in those areas. People assume that if you can afford to live in those areas that you are rich and will charge you accordingly. If you don't speak spanish you will get skimmed easily.

I live in San Miguel. A nice district at the sea. Prices are democratic. The famous Plaza San Miguel is located there. One of the nicest shopping centres in Peru. There are direct buses from the airport to San Miguel.
Many expats live in San Miguel. Half of the people in the building I live in are foreigners.

I know several expats that live in Magdalena Del Mar. Another nice district at the sea. It's a bit more expensive than San Miguel but reasonable.

Pueblo Libre and Jesus Maria is nice too. They are located close to the historic downtown Lima.


Once again a lot of misinformation from chichi. The areas mentioned are not VERY expensive. Your expenses may be 5% more in these areas, hardly as bad as chichi makes it sound. So instead of paying 100 soles in electricity, you pay 105 soles. In my opinion well worth it to live in a more advanced area.

Yes there are more expensive housing options, but there are also the same cheaper options that you can find in chichis san miguel, plus you have the benefit of living in a safer, cleaner area (which is also well worth the extra 5%)

You also will NOT be taken advantage of if you don't speak spanish. Quite the contrary, you are more likely to be ripped off if you live in san miguel, because it is less advanced than miraflores or surco.

If you are going to be a regular in this forum, pretty much read chichis posts and do the exact opposite and you will be fine.
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby Kelly » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:25 pm

If you go to the portal of the Expat Peru website (click on the logo at the top of this page), and look down for the top "Living in Lima", you'll find a section marked "Districts" that lists out many of the city's districts, including the most popular. You can read about them and get a feel for what the living circumstances are like.
aki68
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:11 am

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby aki68 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:34 am

Hi kelly, yes I did read what you mentioned about some of the districs but I wanted the advice and opinions of some expats who have been living here a long time...so far it's been a big help, so thanks to all who took the time to answer...its a great website and makes the move to Lima a bit less painful...and I get a feeling there is a bit of friction between Chi Chi and some of the other members...made me laugh:) but hey, it all seems to be free speech in good spirits, and I guess it keeps it interesting and stops any one person having a monopoly...
So next on the agenda is finding some kind of work....I have the proverbial Cambridge English Teaching Certificate and a Nutritionist and Personal Trainer..don't know how useful that will be but if any can point me in the right direction to which are the best English shcools to send my CV to, would be very thankful

Amanda
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:41 pm

aki you should keep a eye on the jobs forum here for jobs, there's usually something that pops up now and again, but under no circumstances should you read the thread "no good jobs for english speakers", it'll just be a hour of your life you'll never get back lol
aki68
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:11 am

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby aki68 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:31 pm

Yeah, that thread does sounds pretty depressing...II'll steer clear of it then! I need some positive input, there is enough negative stuff to deal with already!...I'll keep checking the job forum then..thanks!:)
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby chi chi » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:51 pm

redrum wrote:
Once again a lot of misinformation from chichi. The areas mentioned are not VERY expensive. Your expenses may be 5% more in these areas, hardly as bad as chichi makes it sound. So instead of paying 100 soles in electricity, you pay 105 soles. In my opinion well worth it to live in a more advanced area.


I have a 3 bedroom flat in San Miguel. I pay 40 soles for electricity a month. A friend of mine has a 2 bed flat in Miraflores and pays 125 a month. And he travels a lot.

redrum wrote:Yes there are more expensive housing options, but there are also the same cheaper options that you can find in chichis san miguel, plus you have the benefit of living in a safer, cleaner area (which is also well worth the extra 5%)


San Miguel, Magdalena Del Mar, Pueblo Libre and Jesus Maria are just as safe and clean as Miraflores and San Isidro. Those areas have changed a lot in recent years.

Plazas San Miguel is one of the most swanky and beautifull shopping centre in Peru. San Isidro and Miraflores don't have a large shopping centre. The only have a lot over overpriced tourist shops.

redrum wrote:You also will NOT be taken advantage of if you don't speak spanish. Quite the contrary, you are more likely to be ripped off if you live in san miguel, because it is less advanced than miraflores or surco.


Redrum, it's sounds you make a living in tourism and you aim is to shake as much money out of tourists as 'they don't know what things cost in Peru'.

Jump in a taxi and don't speak any spanish at all. The fare will be seriously beefed up. Especially in Miraflores. Expect to pay up to 10 times more.

San Miguel is very advanced. Have a look at the famous Avenida Marina with it's swanky casino's and famous Plaza San Miguel shopping centre. After dark, it looks like the strip in Las Vegas.

The very rich live in Miraflores and Surco. Ex president Alan Garcia lives there. The rich countries have their embassies in Miraflores and San Isidro.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby chi chi » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:00 pm

aki68 wrote: I get a feeling there is a bit of friction between Chi Chi and some of the other members...a


Some people have never been out of Miraflores. They think it's the best area but they hardly come out of their humble accomodation after dark simply because they feel unsafe.

Many expats that live in Miraflores work for a big company that pays for their accomodation. Many ambassadors, executives and consuls live in Miraflores and their government pays for their accomodation.

When you are in Lima, contact me and I show you around. I can help you where to find good quality and fairly priced accomodation. And I do not want money to help you out. Asking money to help someone out is disgusting.
aki68
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:11 am

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby aki68 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:26 am

Hi Chi Chi..well you seem to know your way around Lima...are you Peruvian, not Peruvian? Lived in Lima a long time?....thanks for your offer to show me around, it was a kind offer....it will be 2 to 3 months before my move to Lima but I wanted to start planning and finding out information and I figured the best way to do that was go straight to the source and ask those who actually live there...Aynway I appreciate everyone's input...its been useful....and nothing like a lively debate of opinions:)!!
Amanda
User avatar
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:44 am

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby roddd » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:01 am

chi chi wrote:Redrum, it's sounds you make a living in tourism and you aim is to shake as much money out of tourists as 'they don't know what things cost in Peru'.

Jump in a taxi and don't speak any spanish at all. The fare will be seriously beefed up. Especially in Miraflores. Expect to pay up to 10 times more.

San Miguel is very advanced. Have a look at the famous Avenida Marina with it's swanky casino's and famous Plaza San Miguel shopping centre. After dark, it looks like the strip in Las Vegas.

The very rich live in Miraflores and Surco. Ex president Alan Garcia lives there. The rich countries have their embassies in Miraflores and San Isidro.


well i live in Surco with my wife and kids thats when i am not in London ,i did not know i needed to be very Rich to live there i must be a millionare and did not know it :D
redrum
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:35 pm

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby redrum » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:54 am

chi chi wrote:I have a 3 bedroom flat in San Miguel. I pay 40 soles for electricity a month. A friend of mine has a 2 bed flat in Miraflores and pays 125 a month. And he travels a lot.


More misinformation.

Before you make statements like this you need to take in account various factors.
Like your flat probably has a monofasico connection, while this imaginary friend in Miraflores most likely has trifasico, and the rate for a trifasico connection is higher than that of a monofasico.

Also you need to take into account what appliances are in the house, type of water heater, etc.
You most likely do not own anything other than a small fridge, while this "friend" probably has a electric stove, electric washer, electric hot water heater, bigger TV, etc.

I live in a 2 story house in La Molina, and my electric bill is 150 soles a month on average. I have various computers on all day, electric washer/dryer combo, electric horno. All this off a trifasico connection and only 150 soles a month.

So please show us this electric bill of 14o soles of someone who supposedly travels a lot, and then we can have a real conversation.



chi chi wrote:Plazas San Miguel is one of the most swanky and beautifull shopping centre in Peru. San Isidro and Miraflores don't have a large shopping centre. The only have a lot over overpriced tourist shops.


I would say that Jockey Plaze, Polo, CC Chacarilla are slighty more "swanky" than plaza San Miguel. And not one of them is in Miraflores or San Isidro.

chi chi wrote:Redrum, it's sounds you make a living in tourism and you aim is to shake as much money out of tourists as 'they don't know what things cost in Peru'.


Incorrect yet again. I am in the construction industry.

chi chi wrote:Jump in a taxi and don't speak any spanish at all. The fare will be seriously beefed up. Especially in Miraflores. Expect to pay up to 10 times more.


So you are saying that if I take a taxi from Larcomar to parque kennedy and the normal rate is 7 soles, and if I don't speak any english I should expect to pay 70 soles???

You must have really been taken advantage of to have stories like this. I have never had this happen to me or heard of anything like this.
The most of a markup I have gotten is 5-7 soles, which is not even close to your claim of 10x.

So in conclusion, yes there are markups with taxis for tourists, but I would say never even close to the 10x that you claim.

chi chi wrote:The very rich live in Miraflores and Surco. Ex president Alan Garcia lives there. The rich countries have their embassies in Miraflores and San Isidro.


Have you ever been to the Plaza de Armas of Surco? Do you see anyone that looks rich there? If you didn't know you were in Surco, you would easily think you are in a typical provincial downtown area (Ica, Pisco, etc)

What about the area of La Mar in Miraflores, where all the mechanics are? Ever seen the houses in that area? Not exactly the richest either, and just minutes from downtown Miraflores.

So yes there are rich areas of Miraflores and Surco, but not everyone who lives there is rich as you are claiming.

Normally the embassy's have there offices in safer more advances areas of the country. Can you imagine the embassy of the USA in San Miguel or in Callao? Or any country putting their embassy in San Miguel? I can't and that's not to say that San Miguel is a bad area. Its just not at the level of Miraflores or Surco.

And yes to live in Miraflores, Surco, or any other more advanced district you will may pay 5% more on average on most expenses than a San Miguel, but as most who live in those districts will testify, well worth it.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby chi chi » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:06 pm

redrum wrote:
chi chi wrote:Jump in a taxi and don't speak any spanish at all. The fare will be seriously beefed up. Especially in Miraflores. Expect to pay up to 10 times more.

So you are saying that if I take a taxi from Larcomar to parque kennedy and the normal rate is 7 soles, and if I don't speak any english I should expect to pay 70 soles???
You must have.


Last week, my gf and were invited by friend for dinner at the Marriot. We took the bus from Parque Kennedy to Larcomar. The rate is 0.50 soles. Two gringos jumped on the bus that didn't speak Spanish. The pointed on a map where they wanted to go. The cobrador charged them 5 soles each. (10 times more)

After dinner with our friends we went for a cocktail at TGIF at Larcomar. We talked to an American couple sitting next to us at the bar. They complained about how expensive Lima is.
He got his shoes shined by the lustradores that hang around opposite the Marriot hotel, above Larcomar. The lustrador charged him 20 soles.
I often get my boots shined by the lustradores at La Plaza in Magdalena del Mar and I give the lustrador 0.50 soles. The gringo got overcharged 20 TIMES more at Miraflores.

When people in Miraflores or San Isidro see a gringo, they think: I have to get his money in one way or the other. Gringos are very rich.

redrum wrote:
chi chi wrote:I have a 3 bedroom flat in San Miguel. I pay 40 soles for electricity a month. A friend of mine has a 2 bed flat in Miraflores and pays 125 a month. And he travels a lot.


Also you need to take into account what appliances are in the house, type of water heater, etc.
You most likely do not own anything other than a small fridge, while this "friend" probably has a electric stove, electric washer, electric hot water heater, bigger TV, etc.
chi chi wrote:
I have a big fridge, big freezer, 3 big flatscreen TV's, whirlpool washer and dryer, electric water heater and 3 ventilators.

Electrity rates are different for every district. In Miraflores the are much higher because people who live there have more money so it's fair to charge them more. They also pay much more for water and arbitrios.

The only cost I find that's high is the monthly maintenance bill. That's 80 a month. That covers daily cleaning of communal areas, 24h concierge, maintenance of elevators, swimming pool, gym and biljart room.



chi chi wrote:Plazas San Miguel is one of the most swanky and beautifull shopping centre in Peru. San Isidro and Miraflores don't have a large shopping centre. The only have a lot over overpriced tourist shops.


I would say that Jockey Plaze, Polo, CC Chacarilla are slighty more "swanky" than plaza San Miguel. And not one of them is in Miraflores or San Isidro.

[quote=]

??? So, you are 100% agree with me. None of the nicest shopping centres are in Miraflores or San Isidro.
aki68
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:11 am

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby aki68 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:29 pm

Oppps!! I didn't know this question would touch some nerves guys...I imagine getting ripped off a few soles is irritating because being a gringo we seem to have "I'm rich" printed on our foreheads...still we aren't living in Syria in the middle of a civil war, so just putting it into perspective....So guys I have another question... when faced with being ripped off whats the protocol in Lima, do we have a stand off and negociate / haggle / pay up / or walk away?

And roddd...thanks for the heads up on that, I will take note, I trust you know what you're talking about....tried to reply to your message but obviously I don't know how to use this site yet! Hopeless with computors, sorry!!
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby chi chi » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:48 pm

aki68 wrote:So guys I have another question... when faced with being ripped off whats the protocol in Lima, do we have a stand off and negociate / haggle / pay up / or walk away?


The cheapest way to buy food and many other other goods is a markets. Haggle is a must do at markets.

A short bus trip costs 0.50 soles, a bit larger 1 sol and from one side to Lima to the other side 1.50 soles. Nada mas.

When you need a plumber, electrician, builder...negotiating the price is a must do. Don't just pay the quoted price and get quotes from different people.

Before renting a place, negotiate the price. Never pay the advertised rent. Nobody does.

If you can't get a fair prices, then walk off. For sure, the vender will come after you with a much better offer.

I hope you speak good Spanish. That makes lives much easier in Peru and cheaper too.
User avatar
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby rama0929 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:45 pm

aki68 wrote:Oppps!! I didn't know this question would touch some nerves guys...I imagine getting ripped off a few soles is irritating because being a gringo we seem to have "I'm rich" printed on our foreheads...still we aren't living in Syria in the middle of a civil war, so just putting it into perspective....So guys I have another question... when faced with being ripped off whats the protocol in Lima, do we have a stand off and negociate / haggle / pay up / or walk away?

And roddd...thanks for the heads up on that, I will take note, I trust you know what you're talking about....tried to reply to your message but obviously I don't know how to use this site yet! Hopeless with computors, sorry!!


Cheech tends to exaggerate for effect.

When faced with being ripped off, walk away. You'll see when you get there that there are plenty of options. For the most part, your reaction depends on your patience and tolerance for the bs.
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:50 pm

the ripping off the gringo isn't just in miraflores, It can happen anywhere. They will push the price on fairs to see if they can get away with it, but once you've been living here for a little bit you'll know whats is a exaggerated fair and basically take your business elsewhere, after all there is plenty of taxis around. Actually my in laws make me hide round a corner all the time when getting a taxi off the street, only when the fair is agreed can i walk out from around the corner to get into the taxi lol They also don't like me to speak when i'm in a taxi at night either!
rubble
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby rubble » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Chi-Chi
"When you are in Lima, contact me and I show you around. I can help you where to find good quality and fairly priced accomodation. And I do not want money to help you out. Asking money to help someone out is disgusting."

"Last week, my gf and were invited by friend for dinner at the Marriot. We took the bus from Parque Kennedy to Larcomar. The rate is 0.50 soles. Two gringos jumped on the bus that didn't speak Spanish. The pointed on a map where they wanted to go. The cobrador charged them 5 soles each. (10 times more)"

Why didn't you help out these two gringos? I'm curious as to your reasoning.

(Although I´m sure I remember you saying on another thread something like
"S/.8,000 is a lot to pay for property in Taraporto"... and yet, BEFORE that you were bragging how you sold you apartment for $75,000 when the asking price was S/.75,000 to a Texan.

What colour is the sky in your world?
I think new posters should be aware of who they're taking advice from, providing off course, you're not using multiple id's and talking to yourself.

Cue Chi-Chi's standard accusation of people on this board being 'jealous and petty'.
El Tunche
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:21 pm
Location: my body in Lima - my heart in Portugal

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby El Tunche » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:22 pm

alchemist wrote:In my district, I haven't seen one expat around here during the 15 months I've been here :)
It seems to be quite safe in the area as far as I've experienced it and according to locals. I live in pueblo menor de Santa Maria de Huachipa, about 20 minutes drive from Lima. The area maybe doesn't compare in modernity with others, but in the evening I appreciate the calm, this suits me fine as I practice meditation. (photo taken in Huachipa)


Huachipa is a wonderful place, i recall that there is a zoo somewhere over there , you have a lot of sunlight too .
aki68
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:11 am

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby aki68 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:54 am

Okay then, so I'll let you guys get on with the "friendly fire" and not feel like I've started world war 3:)!!

Rubble, point taken, Chi Chi, true you should have gotten up and helped the gringos out if yo saw them being ripped off! if it was me I would have appreciated your intervention

Silverbackperu, laughing at you being made to hide around the corner while your inlaws get a taxi and then being forbidden to speak!...but then this is part of why I love life South America! Basic necessity trumps politness...I wonder how the taxi driver feels, oh well pay back for all the other times he ripped gringos off:)! Karma!

El Tunche...I'm not sure I want to live in Huachipa but it sounds like a place to visit, if I ever head that way I'll shoot you a message!

Amanda
User avatar
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby rama0929 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:19 am

rubble wrote:
(Although I´m sure I remember you saying on another thread something like
"S/.8,000 is a lot to pay for property in Taraporto"... and yet, BEFORE that you were bragging how you sold you apartment for $75,000 when the asking price was S/.75,000 to a Texan.

What colour is the sky in your world?
I think new posters should be aware of who they're taking advice from, providing off course, you're not using multiple id's and talking to yourself.

Cue Chi-Chi's standard accusation of people on this board being 'jealous and petty'.


chi chi wrote:House prices are for sure gone up a lot. But it happens also now that buyers offer more than the asking price.

I bought my house in Tarapoto for 25000 soles. Invested another 10000 soles for nice floors, windows, garden and some other extras. I've put it up for sale at 60000 soles.

Some gringo from Forth Worth in Texas came along and offered me 45000 dollares. I don't know if he thought the price was in dollares or he just wanted to spend that amount of money on a house.

We went to el notario with the paperwork, my gf with her DNI and the buyer with his pasport. He deposited the money cash in my account and got a voucher from the bank. And the paperwork was completed within an hour.
We are now looking to buy a terreno where we can build a new home.

Some prices are gone down. Motorbikes. The price of motorbikes is calculated in dollars and because the dollar is going down, so do the prices of motorbikes. Fuel prices are gone up a bit.


:P
redrum
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:35 pm

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby redrum » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:42 am

chi chi wrote:Jump in a taxi and don't speak any spanish at all. The fare will be seriously beefed up. Especially in Miraflores. Expect to pay up to 10 times more.


chi chi wrote:Last week, my gf and were invited by friend for dinner at the Marriot. We took the bus from Parque Kennedy to Larcomar. The rate is 0.50 soles. Two gringos jumped on the bus that didn't speak Spanish. The pointed on a map where they wanted to go. The cobrador charged them 5 soles each. (10 times more)


Get your stories striaght (and thats just what they are) you specifically said TAXI now its a combi? If this even happened how do you know that these two gringos didn't point to something that legitimately cost 5 soles?


chi chi wrote:I have a big fridge, big freezer, 3 big flatscreen TV's, whirlpool washer and dryer, electric water heater and 3 ventilators.


it is so fun to pick apart your lies. you have 3 flat screen TV's in your small flat but I don't even think you have 3 rooms. My house has less appliances than you claim to have. And again, any sane person would not believe even that even if you did own all these things there is NO WAY your electric bill would only be 40 soles...unless you just have them sitting in your flat unplugged all day.

pictures speak, post a pic of your flat with all of these appliances along side your electric bill of 40 soles if you want anyone to believe this lie.

chi chi wrote:Plazas San Miguel is one of the most swanky and beautifull shopping centre in Peru. San Isidro and Miraflores don't have a large shopping centre. The only have a lot over overpriced tourist shops.


chi chi wrote:??? So, you are 100% agree with me. None of the nicest shopping centres are in Miraflores or San Isidro.


wrong again, cc san miguel would never be confused as "swanky" and the best shopping centers are in surco.
rubble
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby rubble » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:43 am

Sorry for any confusion! The S/. 75000 was EUROMAN'S asking price for HIS condo in Tarapoto...but then again, Euroman is one of CC'c previous ids..... you do the math(s).
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby chi chi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:05 am

chi chi wrote:Last week, my gf and were invited by friend for dinner at the Marriot. We took the bus from Parque Kennedy to Larcomar. The rate is 0.50 soles. Two gringos jumped on the bus that didn't speak Spanish. The pointed on a map where they wanted to go. The cobrador charged them 5 soles each. (10 times more)


If this even happened how do you know that these two gringos didn't point to something that legitimately cost 5 soles?[/quote]

They got on the bus at Parque Kennedy and got off at the Marriot. That ride costs 0.50 soles not 5 soles. Even a taxi wouldn't charge that much.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby chi chi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:26 am

redrum wrote:
chi chi wrote:I have a big fridge, big freezer, 3 big flatscreen TV's, whirlpool washer and dryer, electric water heater and 3 ventilators.


it is so fun to pick apart your lies. you have 3 flat screen TV's in your small flat but I don't even think you have 3 rooms. My house has less appliances than you claim to have. And again, any sane person would not believe even that even if you did own all these things there is NO WAY your electric bill would only be 40 soles...unless you just have them sitting in your flat unplugged all day.


I only use one TV at a time. I watch less than 2 hours TV a day. Washer and dryer are the newest models so use less energy and use it 3 times a month. The dryer uses gas to heat. And the ventilators hardly aren't used. I brought them over from Tarapoto. I go to bed early and get up early so don't use the lights often.

Electicity rates in San Miguel are democratic just like the arbitrios and water rates.

In Miraflores and San Isidro, you pay much more. Fair enough, because people who live there have 'muchos dollares'.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby chi chi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:55 am

rubble wrote:Chi-Chi
(Although I´m sure I remember you saying on another thread something like
"S/.8,000 is a lot to pay for property in Taraporto"... and yet, BEFORE that you were bragging how you sold you apartment for $75,000 when the asking price was S/.75,000 to a Texan.

rubble wrote:Sorry for any confusion! The S/. 75000 was EUROMAN'S asking price for HIS condo in Tarapoto


Rubble, not all houses are the same. You can buy a house for 5000 soles and there are houses that cost 500000 soles. I depends on how many rooms it has, where's it's located and which amenities it has.

I bought my house for a democratic prices and did a lot of work to it. I sold it also with all furniture and artefactos included. I invested a lot of time and money on the garden too. It has a small pond with a fountain and there are small decoration lights all over the garden.

He paid a fair price for a very nice house.

Rubble, as you probably live in a cheap hostel room shared by another dozen bums that smoke pot all day and make a living at night by credit hussling at the tragamonedas...then I understand that you don't know what houseprices cost.
rubble
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby rubble » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:25 pm

"Rubble, as you probably live in a cheap hostel room shared by another dozen bums that smoke pot all day and make a living at night by credit hussling at the tragamonedas...then I understand that you don't know what houseprices cost."

Chi-Chi - you tried this line before and was made to look silly - I won't waste energy doing it again.

IIRC, it was a condo you sold before which had a pool and not a pond. Regardless, the 'Texan' still paid in $s not Soles and you allowed it to happen.

I also realise that most of what you post is complete nonsense, but what troubles me is that a lot of people come on this board looking for advice and help. The loudest voice they hear is usually you, usually sprouting complete bollocks that you choose not to back up - I´m still intrigued as to the 5(?) times you had to bribe British police officers - oh no - I remember now, you admitted you'd made that up - with any facts other than your own 'experience', eg. you were never asked for this or that document so that means no-one will ever need it!

Among the things I have observed is your ability to write English fluently when it suits and then to write in a cod Dutch/Belguim style - I imagine Rudd Guillet taping away at his keyboard - at other times.Your anti-expat sentiments - poor Peruvian good, expat bad. In writing that I should also say that I sense a move away from the S/. 3 meñu world you inhabit and a liking for the finer things, could just be me I suppose or a natural progression after fleecing the Texan/recieving an inheritence from your Nan/avoiding any tax on said inheritence/using public schemes designed to help the poor or your benefits have gone up back in Belguim.

Anyway, what I would like to know is why you never helped the two Americans? I suppose I'll never know.

Mods - I do apologise for giving Euro-Chi the attention he craves, but it is hard to resist the bait sometimes.

ps - CC, I hope the 'girlfriend's' has recovered from the op OK - sometimes even 'she' seems real.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby chi chi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:21 pm

rubble wrote:
IIRC, it was a condo you sold before which had a pool and not a pond. Regardless, the 'Texan' still paid in $s not Soles and you allowed it to happen.


Rubble, pull that needle out of your arm or throw your joint away so you can read the following things clearly.
Every home had a private garden and the condominium had a communal swimming pool. The price of 75000 soles wasn't a fixed price. The price was: from 75000. And that price didn''t include the furniture, artefactos, garden tools and many other items. And the buyer will make a nice profit if he sells the home in a couple of years. Property prices rise quickly. I moved in a new flat this year in San Miguel. I bought it a year ago pre construction. If I sell it now, I allready make an 65000 profit.


rubble wrote:I also realise that most of what you post is complete nonsense, but what troubles me is that a lot of people come on this board looking for advice and help. The loudest voice they hear is usually you, usually sprouting complete bollocks that you choose not to back up.

Your anti-expat sentiments - poor Peruvian good, expat bad. In writing that I should also say that I sense a move away from the S/. 3 meñu world you inhabit and a liking for the finer things, could just be me I suppose or a natural progression after fleecing the Texan/recieving an inheritence from your Nan/avoiding any tax on said inheritence/using public schemes designed to help the poor or your benefits have gone up back in Belguim.


Anti-expat sentiments?
I helped out many expats and many peopled thanked me for it. I made several friends on expatperu with whom I meet on a regular basis.
I got an inheritence? Any wrong with that or are you jealous? If I get the inheritance after my grandmother dies, I have to pay 75% tax on that??? Would that be fair.

When I worked, I paid 40% taxes on my income. (Crooked billionaires like Mitt Romney paid less than me).
After an accident, I could no longer work for the airlines thus got wellfare benefits. I am for a 100% entitled to those benefits till the age of 65. Then I will get a state pension like anyone else.

Rubble, I never attacked you. I can understand that you feel lonely as a hostel dorm dweller and have a hard time getting around with credit hustling at the tragamonedas but don't work your pain out on other people.

After Rubbles usual enoying interuption, let's get back to the topic now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expats live in all districts. It greatly depends on the budget they can spend on accomodation. Some live in a certain district because their Peruvian partner is from that area.
Some choose to live in a certain area because it's close to work or where their friends live.

Before you settle down in a certain area, I suggest you stay in a hostel for a month (most hostels are prepared to give you a democratic rate if you stay a month) and have a look around town and make up where you want to live.

Great websites for accomodation are:

www.urbania.pe
www.adondevivir.com

The best newspaper is ElComercio. The sundays edition has 1000's of rental ads in a districts and price ranges.
If you rent a flat, it's normal in Peru that you haggle about the rental price.
Don't rent the first place, you see and like. Always compare the rental price quoted to the rental price of similar other flats in the area. With a bit of luck you can negotiate to get TV, internet, waterrates and arbitrios included in the rent.
aki68
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:11 am

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby aki68 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:26 pm

Okay Rubble, Chi Chi...just wondering if you two have met in person!!?? Maybe you could meet up and sling it out in person and then go have a cold beer together!? just a suggestion:)!
Love reading you posts thought, like following a soap opera! I'll miss it!
A
User avatar
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby rama0929 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:11 pm

chi chi wrote:When I worked, I paid 40% taxes on my income. (Crooked billionaires like Mitt Romney paid less than me).
After an accident, I could no longer work for the airlines thus got wellfare benefits.


viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17775
rubble
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby rubble » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:40 pm

OK Chi-Chi
As usual, a long post that doesn't answer the question - you and Mitt have more than just tax in common!

So I'll ask two direct questions and the get back to my bong!

Did an American from Fort Worth pay you the asking price for your property in dollars instead of Soles and you didn't tell him of his mistake?

Why, when you have - by your admission - helped numerous expats out, you didn't point out to the Americans in the combi that they were being overcharged?

Simple questions I'm sure even you'd agree.

Mods; please don't worry about any name calling from CC. I'd hate to see this locked before CC has the chance to put me straight (and for all you know, I might be all those things he suggests....
redrum
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:35 pm

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby redrum » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:00 am

chi chi wrote:I only use one TV at a time. I watch less than 2 hours TV a day. Washer and dryer are the newest models so use less energy and use it 3 times a month. The dryer uses gas to heat. And the ventilators hardly aren't used. I brought them over from Tarapoto. I go to bed early and get up early so don't use the lights often.

Electicity rates in San Miguel are democratic just like the arbitrios and water rates.

In Miraflores and San Isidro, you pay much more. Fair enough, because people who live there have 'muchos dollares'.


So if you watch less than two hours a day, why 3 three TVs in a 2 room flat? How about some pictures of your flat with all these high tech appliances? Or how about a scan of your electric bill to see this 40.00 soles that you claim to pay per month.
redrum
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:35 pm

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby redrum » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:04 am

chi chi wrote:They got on the bus at Parque Kennedy and got off at the Marriot. That ride costs 0.50 soles not 5 soles. Even a taxi wouldn't charge that much.


so why didn't you help them? you still haven't answered that question. the only answer would be that you couldn't help them because its a story that never happened.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby chi chi » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:23 am

redrum wrote:so why didn't you help them? you still haven't answered that question. the only answer would be that you couldn't help them because its a story that never happened.


Because of their attitude. They asked the cobrador in English for the address the wanted to go to. Because, he didn't understand them. They repeated with a very loud voice again their question. When he said again theat he didn't understand. They said ''Don't you speak any English''??? making it sound like he's stupid because he can't speak English. And then they commented. Unbelievable, he can't speak English.

Redrum, for your information, the topic is about the most popular districts among expats.

Not about offending, slagging off and drug and alcohol fueled raws written from the PC at the lobby of a run down hostel full of bums like yours. So, if you want to do that, start a separate topic for that.
User avatar
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby rama0929 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:56 am

chi chi wrote:Redrum, for your information, the topic is about the most popular districts among expats.


Please keep that in mind when you're hijacking other people's threads :wink:
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby Kelly » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:35 pm

chi chi wrote:
redrum wrote:
Not about offending, slagging off and drug and alcohol fueled raws written from the PC at the lobby of a run down hostel full of bums like yours. So, if you want to do that, start a separate topic for that.


The only thing really offensive that I've seen in this thread are the insults and accusations of drug use coming from you. Please stop that now.
rubble
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby rubble » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:39 pm

I should make it clear that the Texan in Tarapoto and the two Americans in the combi are seperate incidents.

That is, off course, if either incident ever happened.....

CC "I helped out many expats and many peopled thanked me for it. I made several friends on expatperu with whom I meet on a regular basis."

Where? When? Next time I'm out of rehab and in Lima I'd love to meet up.

CC "After an accident, I could no longer work for the airlines thus got wellfare benefits. I am for a 100% entitled to those benefits till the age of 65. Then I will get a state pension like anyone else."

Those benefits come from people's taxes do they not? Call be old-fashioned but I regard paying tax as a necessary evil. You seem to want to take and not give. And if your getting benefits from Europe, where I and many expats still pay tax, in a very roundabout way, we are probably funding all your nefarious shenanigans! Oh the irony! Cigars anybody?

"I also realise that most of what you post is complete nonsense, but what troubles me is that a lot of people come on this board looking for advice and help. The loudest voice they hear is usually you, usually sprouting complete bollocks that you choose not to back up " - I said this before and I stand by it.

To be a good liar, CC, you need a good memory. I imagine that you can't remember which of your alter egos said what, which would be a major handicap for you.

To the OP and others, my apologies for diverting the thread - must be all these drugs I'm taking to escape from my pitiful reality.
redrum
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:35 pm

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby redrum » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:21 pm

chi chi wrote:Not about offending, slagging off and drug and alcohol fueled raws written from the PC at the lobby of a run down hostel full of bums like yours. So, if you want to do that, start a separate topic for that.


funny, I didn't notice a computer on your list of the appliances you currently have in your flat...maybe its you on the pc at the lobby of the run down hostel :D
aki68
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:11 am

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby aki68 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Okay everyone!...as I'm a new member and a lady:)!...I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable that one of the "members" is directing drug and alcohol abuse accusations towards another "member"...which for me is crossing the line...especially as it was me who started this thread with my "neutral" question!?
I've gotten a lot of info and its helped me a lot...I'd like to think that all you guys who gave advice are gentlemen, so I think we need to call a ceasefire on this thread....Thanks Members:)! Look forward to meeting you another time on line!
Amanda
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby chi chi » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:59 pm

redrum wrote:
chi chi wrote:Not about offending, slagging off and drug and alcohol fueled raws written from the PC at the lobby of a run down hostel full of bums like yours. So, if you want to do that, start a separate topic for that.


funny, I didn't notice a computer on your list of the appliances you currently have in your flat...maybe its you on the pc at the lobby of the run down hostel :D


There's a sala de internet in the building I live in. Use is unlimited and included in the monthly maintenance costs of the building. Gym, swimming pool, meeting room and biljart room use is included too.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Surquillo

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:11 am

I hope certain posters are using PADDED BOXING GLOVES!!!
The fierce "hand-2-hand" combat herein - can be dangerous; fight fair - please...
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1490
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: "Miraflores State of Mind"

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:23 pm

Back to the topic. Most expats live in Miraflores ( The area within walking distance of Park Kennedy) Expats with a good job generally live on a street in Miraflores that begins with Malecon (apartments), If they own a home it is generally in San Isidro or La Molina.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: which district is most popular for expats to live

Postby chi chi » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Alpineprince wrote:Back to the topic. Most expats live in Miraflores ( The area within walking distance of Park Kennedy) Expats with a good job generally live on a street in Miraflores that begins with Malecon (apartments), If they own a home it is generally in San Isidro or La Molina.


The ones that hang around in Miraflores are tourists, that why you see a lot of gringos there. In the Parque Kennedy area, there are a lot of democraticaly priced backpackers hostels. They don't live there but just spend there a night or two.

Expats that stay long term in Peru, don't live in Miraflores because there are cheaper and much nicer places to live. On top of that, they can't or don't want to pay the Miraflores inflated tourist prices for everything.

Most expats don't live in Lima, most live in the provinces.

There are a huge number of German, Spanish, Italian, ex Yugoslavian, Irish and other expats living in the provinces. They enjoy the better and cheaper life up there.

In Tarapoto, it's full of Germans, Spanish and Italians. There's are also many Canadians and Americans living there.

Alpineprince, I know many expats that have a good job like english teachers, chefs and waiters that work for places like the Hilton and Sheraton but none of them can afford to buy a home in San Isidro or rent a place at the malecon.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register