Villa El Salvador is booming.

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Villa El Salvador is booming.

Postby chi chi » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:11 pm

A lot of money is being invested in improving Villa El Salvador. One of the biggest districts of Lima.

There's Serenazgo now. Streets are being paved, new sidewalks builded and beautifull parks with trees, flowers and banks are constructed.

The municipalidad bought 35 brand new trucks to collect garbage.

A lot upmarket restaurants and shops are flocking to Villa El Salvador.
Last edited by chi chi on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Villa El Salvador is booming.

Postby gerard » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:03 pm

The biggest district of Lima

Apart from Pachacamac, Lurin, VMT, La Molina, Ate, SJL, Cieneguilla, Comas, Lurigancho, Puente Piedra & SMP....
redrum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby redrum » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:00 am

chi chi wrote:

your definition of upmarket I assume is a roky's chicken and elektra?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:55 am

redrum wrote:
chi chi wrote:

There are some nice restaurants around 'El Monumente De Mujer' area and opposite the municipalidad.
redrum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby redrum » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:35 pm

first upmarket, now nice? what is it??
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:02 pm

redrum wrote:first upmarket, now nice? what is it??

Nicely upmarket? Upmarketdly nice? :mrgreen:
redrum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby redrum » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:00 am

I am still waiting to hear about all these upmarket shops and restaurants that are "flocking" to villa el salvador
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:14 pm

I have fond memories of Villa El Salvador. Drive down the PanAmerican and as soon as you hit the smell you have arrived. Heaps of garbage by the side of the road and semi complete buildings line the view. Passing Es Salud with a que at least 500 yards long, waiting for emergency service, we parked up just above the town market in the furniture sales area. It was great. I parked the car, a watchi man was on hand and after satisfactory completion of my purchase we returned to our car with a wing mirror missing. Never mind I am sure I can buy it back in Ave Brazil. We started winding our way back to The PanAmerican along one of the many unmade up roads and what a surprise. A road block of old cars and four burly 5 foot gentlemen with baseball bats were just ahead. I was lucky. They were stopping cars but we have a 4x4 crossed over the central reservation and made our escape. A little further to travel, but well worth the visit. I am sorry we did not have time to frequent the many upmarket restaurants, but I am sure as long as they give free samples or three for two, they will be very successful. As a foot note we arrived home and the furniture was waiting for us to arrive. Great service at a price.
Ps Sure enough my mirror was ready for mr to collect the next day in Brazil.
redrum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby redrum » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:45 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:I have fond memories of Villa El Salvador. Drive down the PanAmerican and as soon as you hit the smell you have arrived. Heaps of garbage by the side of the road and semi complete buildings line the view. Passing Es Salud with a que at least 500 yards long, waiting for emergency service, we parked up just above the town market in the furniture sales area. It was great. I parked the car, a watchi man was on hand and after satisfactory completion of my purchase we returned to our car with a wing mirror missing. Never mind I am sure I can buy it back in Ave Brazil. We started winding our way back to The PanAmerican along one of the many unmade up roads and what a surprise. A road block of old cars and four burly 5 foot gentlemen with baseball bats were just ahead. I was lucky. They were stopping cars but we have a 4x4 crossed over the central reservation and made our escape. A little further to travel, but well worth the visit. I am sorry we did not have time to frequent the many upmarket restaurants, but I am sure as long as they give free samples or three for two, they will be very successful. As a foot note we arrived home and the furniture was waiting for us to arrive. Great service at a price.

this post made me LOL. thanks for the reality check with this very detailed and true description of life on a daily basis in the booming upmarket district of villa el salvador.
redrum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby redrum » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:49 pm

chi chi wrote:The municipalidad bought 35 brand new trucks to collect garbage.

just realized chi chi must be working in the sanitation dept of villa el salvador to have inside info such as this, and riding around on the back of one of these brand new truck collecting the garbage is a good way to see all these new upmarket shop that are flocking to villa el salvador.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:43 pm

redrum wrote:
chi chi wrote:The municipalidad bought 35 brand new trucks to collect garbage.

just realized chi chi must be working in the sanitation dept of villa el salvador to have inside info such as this, and riding around on the back of one of these brand new truck collecting the garbage is a good way to see all these new upmarket shop that are flocking to villa el salvador.

They were parked in front of the municipalidad on the square. They were new and didn't have numberplates yet and the seats were still covered with plastic.

They do that to show them to the public.

A few months ago, the Serenazgo in San Miguel got 30 brandnew pick up and parked them on a square at Avenida La Marina for a few days to show them to the public.

Good initiative so the public can see that there tax money is spent on usefull things.
El Tunche
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby El Tunche » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:39 pm

The only thing booming in Villa el Salvador are the industries , the upmarket thing is new for me ...
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:34 pm

El Tunche wrote:The only thing booming in Villa el Salvador are the industries , the upmarket thing is new for me ...

Most nice places can be found around 'El Monumente Del Mujer' and the municipalidad.
Many business people and professionals live in Villa El Salvador.

New sidewalks are build and all roads will be paved eventually.

Safety has improved too due to the Serenazgo.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:24 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:I have fond memories of Villa El Salvador. Drive down the PanAmerican and as soon as you hit the smell you have arrived. Heaps of garbage by the side of the road and semi complete buildings line the view. Passing Es Salud with a que at least 500 yards long, waiting for emergency service, we parked up just above the town market in the furniture sales area. It was great. I parked the car, a watchi man was on hand and after satisfactory completion of my purchase we returned to our car with a wing mirror missing. Never mind I am sure I can buy it back in Ave Brazil. We started winding our way back to The PanAmerican along one of the many unmade up roads and what a surprise. A road block of old cars and four burly 5 foot gentlemen with baseball bats were just ahead. I was lucky. They were stopping cars but we have a 4x4 crossed over the central reservation and made our escape. A little further to travel, but well worth the visit. I am sorry we did not have time to frequent the many upmarket restaurants, but I am sure as long as they give free samples or three for two, they will be very successful. As a foot note we arrived home and the furniture was waiting for us to arrive. Great service at a price.

Dr. Livingstone, I presume?
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

El Tunche wrote:The only thing booming in Villa el Salvador are the industries , the upmarket thing is new for me ...

Well, let's see what developments happen now that the electric train is up and running
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:13 pm

redrum wrote:
chi chi wrote:

Miraflores was used to be a 'hood' full of squatters. But the slowly improved too. At one stage in history it was completely sacked and burned down.

Villa El Salvador is changing...rapidly.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:29 pm

Actually, as early as the late 1700s, Miraflores was considered a resort area, where the wealthy were building beach homes. It's never been a " 'hood full of squatters."
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:39 pm

Kelly wrote:Actually, as early as the late 1700s, Miraflores was considered a resort area, where the wealthy were building beach homes. It's never been a " 'hood full of squatters."

Between 1879 and 1885, it was burned down and sacked by the Chileans during the Pacific war. 2000 people died.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:41 pm

No kidding.

That didn't make it a 'hood full of squatters' in the way that you imply.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Kelly wrote:No kidding.

For sure, after the war it looked even worser than a hood full of squatters.

But they rebuilded an improved by the years. Just like many other districts in Lima. The area I live in was used to be hood but now a nice residential area. Gone are the fumones.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:07 pm

chi chi wrote:

But they rebuilded an improved by the years. Just like many other districts in Lima. The area I live in was used to be hood but now a nice residential area. Gone are the fumones.

Where do you get this stuff from, Chi Chi? Your comments seem a little extravagant... though we can probably all agree that Lima´s districts are improving a lot, and some more than others, and as always, development is patchy.. with some neighborhoods lagging behind others.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Alan wrote:
chi chi wrote:

Where do you get this stuff from, Chi Chi? Your comments seem a little extravagant... though we can probably all agree that Lima´s districts are improving a lot, and some more than others, and as always, development is patchy.. with some neighborhoods lagging behind others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miraflores_District,_Lima
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:23 pm

well if it is on Wikipedia then it must be true :D
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:04 am

Excellent fact finding, Chi Chi... but often exaggerated comments.

I have been to Villa el Salvador several times for furniture and did not enjoy the experience at all - dusty, unpaved roads, sidewalks, lots of rubbish and dishonest people trying to sell mediocre quality furniture. Yes, there is some very nice stuff, but the majority of the sofa's leave a lot to be desired.

Villa el Salvador is so big that it will take 100 years for any difference to be noticeable because like everywhere else, you have some improvements for one block and then it stops. Other improvements for another block elsewhere while still leaving surrounding streets untouched and ugly... all very patchy and not a good way of improving any district. Investments by local authorities are often small.

It will be excellent when the old army base on Av. Ejercito in Miraflores finally gets built. The buildings have been knocked down (apart from the outer wall) and anytime in the next 3 years, they'll start re-developing that area and maybe in 5 years it will be finished. It takes a LONG, LONG time for things to progress here.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:21 pm

Lloyd007 wrote:I have been to Villa el Salvador several times for furniture and did not enjoy the experience at all - dusty, unpaved roads, sidewalks, lots of rubbish and dishonest people trying to sell mediocre quality furniture. Yes, there is some very nice stuff, but the majority of the sofa's leave a lot to be desired.

90% of the people in Peru are poor so the demand for cheap furniture is higher so it's normal that cheaper furniture is more produced and sold.

Visit the area around 'El Monumente De Mujer' and you will have a different view of Villa El Salvador. Or have a cocktail and eat a nice Cebiche at the beach. You feel like your are in Waikiki Beach Hawaii.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:20 pm

There is a subtle difference between inexpensive and cheap. Lots of folks in Peru need inexpensive furniture - they don't necessarily need cheap.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Or have a cocktail and eat a nice Cebiche at the beach. You feel like your are in Waikiki Beach Hawaii

"I'll have what he's having sir, make it a double"
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:36 pm

Kelly wrote:There is a subtle difference between inexpensive and cheap. Lots of folks in Peru need inexpensive furniture - they don't necessarily need cheap.

Cheap means products with a low price. Everybody want to buy things as cheap as possible. Even if people want to buy products of high quality they want to buy it cheaply.
Even if someone wants to buy a Mercedes, he shops around different dealers to get the cheapest quote.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:05 pm

Yes, but because you don't speak native English, you may be unaware that 'cheap' also has the meaning of 'poorly made, shoddy, of inferior quality'. I want a good product, as inexpensive as possible. I don't want something made cheaply that will fall apart after a year of use.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:28 pm

True many Peruvians try to stretch their money to impossible limits and buy cheap
stuff as a consequence. Then they get screwed with the product and some of them
learn that inexpensive or expensive is better than cheap. The proof. Toyota is the
number one in car sales in Peru. Even with all the cheap Chinese cars in circulation.
Why, because is a quality product. Even a poor Peruvian would prefer to get a used
Toyota instead of a Chinese car. Same thing with furniture. What would be the point
of buying the furniture with defective wood that breaks when you can buy similar
furniture at the same price in a Department store like metro.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:53 pm

falconagain wrote:True many Peruvians try to stretch their money to impossible limits and buy cheap
stuff as a consequence. Then they get screwed with the product and some of them
learn that inexpensive or expensive is better than cheap. The proof. Toyota is the
number one in car sales in Peru. Even with all the cheap Chinese cars in circulation.
Why, because is a quality product.

Same with motorbikes. Honda is the best sold make and the most expensive after Yamaha.
Zhongshen, Wanxin, Jiapeng, Changay, Lifan, Slong... are much cheaper but bad quality.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:29 pm

It may not be the best place to hang your stetson, but I must admit I have had several pieces of furniture made by a brilliant manufacturer in Villa El Salvador, following a recommendation from a member of this very board. In 2007 I had 2 four seater, two three seater and two reclining chairs in white leather over a hardwood frame. These are used regularly and are in the same condition as when they were made. We were so pleased with the result in 2008 we had a twelve seater dinning room table and chairs made to our own design in black ash and once again they are in original condition. About the same time we purchased a ready made six seater table and chairs for the kitchen. I must admit the joints are a little suspect on one of the chairs but generally the furniture has been brilliant. The bottom line is we did not buy cheap, but the price was very reasonable at 1/3rd of what we would have paid in the UK.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:38 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:It may not be the best place to hang your stetson, but I must admit I have had several pieces of furniture made by a brilliant manufacturer in Villa El Salvador, following a recommendation from a member of this very board. In 2007 I had 2 four seater, two three seater and two reclining chairs in white leather over a hardwood frame. These are used regularly and are in the same condition as when they were made. We were so pleased with the result in 2008 we had a twelve seater dinning room table and chairs made to our own design in black ash and once again they are in original condition. About the same time we purchased a ready made six seater table and chairs for the kitchen. I must admit the joints are a little suspect on one of the chairs but generally the furniture has been brilliant. The bottom line is we did not buy cheap, but the price was very reasonable at 1/3rd of what we would have paid in the UK.

They sell all kind of quality in Villa El Salvador. Many of those stores in Villa El Salvador also have an outlets in areas like Miraflores and San Isidro. The big stores like Ripley and Saga also buy their furniture from factories in Villa El Salvador.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register