Paranormal activity

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
alchemist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 am
Location: Geneva, Switzerland

Paranormal activity

Postby alchemist » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:09 pm

I thought I would start this thread for persons who would like to share any out-of-the-ordinary, paranormal experience they may have had in their lives, such as NDEs, OBEs, UFO or spirit "ghost" sightings, etc.

Here is mine :
When my son was three years old, that is sixteen years ago, my husband was away for a few weeks, and I was in our appartment with our son. I was going through a difficult situation and felt sad. One day, on the threshold of my son's bedroom, I found a piece of paper with my grandmother's handwriting on it, it said: "Viviane, how are you Viviane" several times over.

No one had been in our appartment since my husband left a week before, as I wanted to be alone to reflect upon things; also, I am meticulous in the sense that I never leave things lying around on the floor.

My grandmother had passed away one year before, we were very close as I had lived a year with her in Scotland as a child. However, she had never entered our appartment in Switzerland where we lived, and she never wrote me letters, preferring to talk on the phone. The following night, I saw her in a dream, she said to me "Don't talk to anyone about the note, they'll think you're crazy".


* * *
“Why it's simply impassible!
Alice: Why, don't you mean impossible?
Door: No, I do mean impassible. (chuckles) Nothing's impossible!”
Comet

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby Comet » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:55 pm

alchemist wrote:I thought I would start this thread for persons who would like to share any out-of-the-ordinary, paranormal experience they may have had in their lives, such as NDEs, OBEs, UFO or spirit "ghost" sightings, etc.

Here is mine :
When my son was three years old, that is sixteen years ago, my husband was away for a few weeks, and I was in our appartment with our son. I was going through a difficult situation and felt sad. One day, on the threshold of my son's bedroom, I found a piece of paper with my grandmother's handwriting on it, it said: "Viviane, how are you Viviane" several times over.

No one had been in our appartment since my husband left a week before, as I wanted to be alone to reflect upon things; also, I am meticulous in the sense that I never leave things lying around on the floor.

My grandmother had passed away one year before, we were very close as I had lived a year with her in Scotland as a child. However, she had never entered our appartment in Switzerland where we lived, and she never wrote me letters, preferring to talk on the phone. The following night, I saw her in a dream, she said to me "Don't talk to anyone about the note, they'll think you're crazy".


There are no ; ghosts,spirits, souls, psychics, aliens, gods, witches, magic...only deluded people...just because people imagine things doesn´t make it real...sad but true.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby chi chi » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:49 pm

When I read the comments from Comet and Rubble about me then I think that ghosts are writing on expatperu.
alchemist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 am
Location: Geneva, Switzerland

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby alchemist » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:19 am

A bunch of eucalyptus leaves placed by my husband on our door inside, took this form naturally.

eucalyptus.JPG
eucalyptus.JPG (60.11 KiB) Viewed 5040 times
* * *
“Why it's simply impassible!
Alice: Why, don't you mean impossible?
Door: No, I do mean impassible. (chuckles) Nothing's impossible!”
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby americorps » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:55 am

There is tons of evidence ghosts or poltergeists or what have you do exist, just no clear explanation as to the cause.

Maybe spirits, maybe energy, maybe our own minds tapping into the next phase of evolution, but there is just too much out there to dismiss it as pure imagination or hysteria.

I do not mind comet disagreeing, I am deeply sadden by his bullying nature to express a contrary opinion.

I do not think the research supports comment's opinion.

I have twice clearly seen ghosts, nothing malevolent, one used to open and close cabinets in my office all the time back in Austin Texas and the other creaked around my childhood home in Kansas.

I refer to them like people because it is easier for me to describe, but my personal belief is that they are a form of psychic ability from ourselves much more than a spirit from beyond and as we only use a small percentage of our brain, I think we are evolving to use more and how we experience hauntings might just be signs of that. just an idea, no serious proof though.

Unfortunately, mixed in with real experience are fakes who try to exploit our desire to commune with the dead, people with mental health issues that hallucinate and people who have let their imagination run away with them and i think it takes a patient and open mind to weed through those and a sage mind to not automatically be open or closed, but to judge each incident individually on its own merits.
Comet

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby Comet » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:32 pm

americorps wrote:There is tons of evidence ghosts or poltergeists or what have you do exist, just no clear explanation as to the cause.

Maybe spirits, maybe energy, maybe our own minds tapping into the next phase of evolution, but there is just too much out there to dismiss it as pure imagination or hysteria.

I do not mind comet disagreeing, I am deeply sadden by his bullying nature to express a contrary opinion.

I do not think the research supports comment's opinion.

I have twice clearly seen ghosts, nothing malevolent, one used to open and close cabinets in my office all the time back in Austin Texas and the other creaked around my childhood home in Kansas.

I refer to them like people because it is easier for me to describe, but my personal belief is that they are a form of psychic ability from ourselves much more than a spirit from beyond and as we only use a small percentage of our brain, I think we are evolving to use more and how we experience hauntings might just be signs of that. just an idea, no serious proof though.

Unfortunately, mixed in with real experience are fakes who try to exploit our desire to commune with the dead, people with mental health issues that hallucinate and people who have let their imagination run away with them and i think it takes a patient and open mind to weed through those and a sage mind to not automatically be open or closed, but to judge each incident individually on its own merits.


There was nothing remotely "bullying" about my comments..and a simple fact is that there is not one single piece of evidence of any supernatural entity...not one..never has been and never will.James Randall had an open offer for anyone who could demonstrate , just once, any kind of supernatural or paranormal activity and not one single person came forward,,,people dream about things and think they´re real, people imagine all sorts of things but that doesn´t make them real...no matter how much people like yourselves want to believe in magic it just isn´t so. You can´t prove a negative you can´t prove that something doesn´t exist, the onus is on "believers" to prove that something does exist and nobody ever has , not in the whole history of mankind...belief in something without any evidence is a delusion...it´s not an insult it´s a fact
chuck
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby chuck » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:01 pm

alchemist wrote:A bunch of eucalyptus leaves placed by my husband on our door inside, took this form naturally.


:?:
There are 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Comet

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby Comet » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:33 pm

chuck wrote:
alchemist wrote:A bunch of eucalyptus leaves placed by my husband on our door inside, took this form naturally.


:?:

+1
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Surquillo

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:34 pm

My mind is always "open" to new experiences; I find this young woman very intriguing & sincere.
My wife & I plan to participate in her meditation classes; a documented form of relaxation & stress release.

Philip
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1228
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: miraflores

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby renodante » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:50 pm

A bunch of eucalyptus leaves placed by my husband on our door inside, took this form naturally.


what "form" is it in? it looks like...a bunch of eucalyptus leaves

I'd like to start out saying I don't believe in ghosts et al, yet i LOVE this story. Never knew my dad to lie to me, so as far as I know it's a true story:

My grandfather on my dad's side, named Jimmy died in New York, at Bay Shore hospital. I forget the time, but it was night, let's say around 10 pm. His brother my Great Uncle John, a fellow ex Irish cop and heavy drinker, died the very same night, shortly after my grandfather Jimmy died, let's say 10:45 pm (don't know the exact time frame, but it was quite soon after Jimmy died) in Chicago. No phone calls were made to either family during that time frame. My Great Uncle John's last words were "Jimmy is here, someone get him a beer."

There is tons of evidence ghosts or poltergeists or what have you do exist, just no clear explanation as to the cause.


Seriously not trying to start an argument for the sake of argument here, but can you cite one or two sources from among the "tons" of evidence ghosts exist? Because outside of anecdotes and easily explainable irregularities in photography, or coincidences (like the story I've cited above) I've never come across even one actual piece credible evidence, and I'm interested in such things, open to them, I WISH things like that were real in fact.

"but there is just too much out there to dismiss it as pure imagination or hysteria"


i've heard that as an explanation for why about 3 different religions must be true. because just so many people believe in them and have had "personal experiences" with whichever deity they're trying to convince me is real. it's called the argumentum ad populum.
so lots and lots of wild beliefs means that some of it must be credible? human beings are pattern seeking primates. it is/was evolutionarily advantageous for us to assign agency to things, even when agency was not there. for example, some bushes rustle in the distance. it was/is MUCH better for us to imagine a bear, wolf, tiger, or even sasquatch or goblin, is behind that bush on its way toward us, than to speculate that it's the wind, or a falling branch, or a harmless raccoon or armadillo, because something REALLY may be about to kill us, and running, thinking there's something/someone/some-it there is our best bet. and we still do that. we still assign agency to all kinds of things. a creaking upstairs that seems to happen at the same time of night, in the same room? agency, a ghost, something other than the hundred other things it could easily be that are not supernatural.

millions of people can believe in complete nonsense. in fact, history is full of such phenomena.

"Often you might see what looks like a face in semidarkness but it's just a trick of the light. The human brain is hard-wired to see faces, for instance in clouds. That's because faces are the most important thing we can see around us.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... essor.html

I do not think the research supports comment's opinion.


not vouching for his tone but the research completely supports his opinion. Just for starters, there's no evidence whatsoever that once your brain shuts off, "you" continue on in any way, shape, or form, as far as your consciousness. How could it? It needed a brain while you were alive, but somehow your personality, even your physical form, could continue on, hell WRITE LETTERS when you're disembodied?

If it were an angry poltergeist, it could throw pots and pans around when you're not in the room, but why not stab you in the chest with a knife? Why does that never happen? instead they opt to come from the spirit realm to.....drop a glass off the shelf. That'll show um to live in my old house!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVGDH5cLvJM
Last edited by renodante on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby americorps » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:16 pm

@comet

the word deluded was needlessly cruel and bullying.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1228
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: miraflores

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby renodante » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:28 pm

James Randall had an open offer for anyone who could demonstrate , just once, any kind of supernatural or paranormal activity and not one single person came forward


actually people have come forward but they always fail miserably. and the tests he uses have been confirmed by various third party sources to be unbiased and legitimate.

human memory has a way of re-constructing events. it does so in our normal day to day lives all the time, we just don't notice it. when you add a traumatic event or highly emotional event it tends to get even more creative with what it reconstructs. psychics are a perfect example of this: the psychic leads you along with "cold reading", leading you to reveal certain things about yourself that you don't even realize as it's happening. then, your memory after the event is of the psychic just telling you those things, you often don't remember the questions asked at all, just "wow, she looked at my palm and/or read my cards and just started telling me all kinds of things about my grandfather and this and that." nope, she/he skillfully got you to tell him/her all that stuff, you just constructed a different memory of it after the fact, because it was all very exciting.
alchemist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 am
Location: Geneva, Switzerland

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby alchemist » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:11 am

Well, reading through the comments, all I can think to say, is that it's a case of "one has to see to believe"...

They say the first thing delusional people lose, is their sense of humour, so here's to keep us all sane :)

Two men walking home from a party decide to take a shortcut through the graveyard.
Halfway through, they are startled to hear a tap-tapping noise from misty shadows. Shaking with fear, they're relieved to find an old man with a chisel, chipping at one of the headstones.
"You scared us half to death, mate" said one of the men. "We thought u were a ghost.What are u doing here so late at night?"
"The fools!" the old man grumbled. "They spelt my name wrong."
* * *
“Why it's simply impassible!
Alice: Why, don't you mean impossible?
Door: No, I do mean impassible. (chuckles) Nothing's impossible!”
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby americorps » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:53 am

renodante wrote:
James Randall had an open offer for anyone who could demonstrate , just once, any kind of supernatural or paranormal activity and not one single person came forward


actually people have come forward but they always fail miserably. and the tests he uses have been confirmed by various third party sources to be unbiased and legitimate.

human memory has a way of re-constructing events. it does so in our normal day to day lives all the time, we just don't notice it. when you add a traumatic event or highly emotional event it tends to get even more creative with what it reconstructs. psychics are a perfect example of this: the psychic leads you along with "cold reading", leading you to reveal certain things about yourself that you don't even realize as it's happening. then, your memory after the event is of the psychic just telling you those things, you often don't remember the questions asked at all, just "wow, she looked at my palm and/or read my cards and just started telling me all kinds of things about my grandfather and this and that." nope, she/he skillfully got you to tell him/her all that stuff, you just constructed a different memory of it after the fact, because it was all very exciting.


It is something we do not understand let alone have the ability to produce upon demand. That does not mean things have never ever happened and again I challenge that because some of them can be explained does not mean all of them can.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1228
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: miraflores

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby renodante » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:03 am

It is something we do not understand let alone have the ability to produce upon demand. That does not mean things have never ever happened and again I challenge that because some of them can be explained does not mean all of them can.


sure, i agree. but you mentioned something about "research" which is why i went on about it for so long. and i'm not making fun, but are you basically saying you were mentally opening and closing cabinets in your office and mentally projecting some image of perhaps, someone that used to live there and open and close cabinets when he/she was alive? b/c you said you saw this thing too, aside from the cabinets opening and closing.

also, the idea we only use a small fraction of our brain has long been debunked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_percent_of_brain_myth
Comet

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby Comet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:21 pm

So let´s pretend for one imaginative moment that "ghosts" exist and like-wise "souls" and that a ghost is a soul come back to visit....but there is a problem.."they" always wear clothes...now then, this would suggest that clothes and shoes etc have "souls" too, hmmmm even more unlikely! I have heard it suggested that "ghosts" are the "souls" of those who cannot rest..victims of murder unsolved etc...in the USA there are around 11,000 unsolved murders every year...more than 1,000,000 in the last century,,,where are they all?
PS "Deluded " is not a bullying word...now is I were to say "believe what I believe" or
1 you will go to hell
2 we will kill you
(hmmm who does tha sound like?)....that could be construed as bullying but then I am now a deluded follower of imaginary dieties.
Deluded is a word used when someone has a mistaken belief...so therefore saying " you´re wrong" is bullying too? Bit harsh what?
People can believe whatever they choose but it doen´t make it real. There are millions of muslims and christians, alike, who believe that AIDS is "god´s" punishment for being gay ...Does that make it true because millions believe it to be? Of course it doesn´t any more than millions of people believing in imaginary friends makes them real. Real is when something has been proven to exist , not one single primative superstiion ranging from gods too horoscopes has ever been proven to be real and most have a lot of evidence to suggest the opposite but to re-iterate....you can´t prove a negative.
leidulvstad
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:18 pm

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby leidulvstad » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:05 pm

I am curious. What is the bunch of eucalyptus leaves supposed to look like? I can not find any shape, maybe my perception abilities are impaired :-) I am asking this solely out of curiosity, no bad feelings or criticism involved.
User avatar
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:44 am

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby roddd » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:46 pm

people who dismiss it are people who have never experienced it
i work on London underground at night and believe me i have seen plenty of things down there
and by the look of this video so have other people
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m4jRlcak3I
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby americorps » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:08 pm

renodante wrote:
It is something we do not understand let alone have the ability to produce upon demand. That does not mean things have never ever happened and again I challenge that because some of them can be explained does not mean all of them can.


sure, i agree. but you mentioned something about "research" which is why i went on about it for so long. and i'm not making fun, but are you basically saying you were mentally opening and closing cabinets in your office and mentally projecting some image of perhaps, someone that used to live there and open and close cabinets when he/she was alive? b/c you said you saw this thing too, aside from the cabinets opening and closing.

also, the idea we only use a small fraction of our brain has long been debunked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_percent_of_brain_myth


There are lots of things you think that I never said.

I said that energy from our minds might be behind some of the activities, I do not know. I did not say it was my mind opening the cabinets, just that they were swinging open and shut quite randomly and I do not know what was causing it. There were 5 of us working there, all experienced the event and even putting on child locks did not stop it. Nothing else happened other than that in the building and it did not particularly upset us. We all had theories. Some were ghost based and that might be reasonable as it was a Hospice, that also might be connected with some crazy energy thing, patients with weird cancers and viruses eating their brains might have something to do with it,i have no idea. I am quite sure that it was not the cabinets were installed poorly and there were no other indications that the building was shifting, no cracking of foundation or other things that would normally be connected to that.

Again, I have not scientific theory as much as opinions, but i have no doubt the incident happened as we all experienced it.

I also think a reasonable theory ties to the science rule that no matter dissipates, it just changes form, perhaps that is true for thought or energy or something.

I referred to research that unexplainable phenomena exists and it might be psychic or spiritual or unexplained science of nature. Tons of theories from souls to dead beings to demons to psychic energy to some unknown scientific cause, but nothing with enough proof to be presented as a presiding theory.

I was talking about existence of unexplained phenomena, not the cause.

I had not read that it was a myth about our brain use, but accept that, however, i feel psychic abilities of some sort might be a reasonable belief that we have not yet been able to understand....much like gravity or evolution were once thought to be crazy concepts.

It might not be, but I still see no reason for anyone to be disrespectful for not holding Comet's opinion and I think he is needlessly cruel and reacts when challenged with equal lack of kindness.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby americorps » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:00 pm

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/vi ... -dead.wdbj

a video on CNN about a class based on speaking with the dead.
Comet

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby Comet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:12 pm

Clearily americorps is the only person entitled to disagree with people without bullying them...deluded is not cruel or bullying in any way at all..if someone told me I was deluded about something then I would simply investigate the facts. to say deluded basically is to say someone is mistaken...how can that be bullying? You are a wee bit sensitive and often appear to disagree merely for the sake of disagreeing...I accept that what you said happened in your ofice actually happened but why does it have to have some kind of psychic or supernatural reason? Everything has an explanation and everything has a cause ..people who believe in supernatural things look for and find it everywhere...doesn´t make it real..what about the 2 north american plumbers( Ghosthunters) who have spent years and years looking for ghosts without finding anything the idea of ghosts, psychics, talking to the dead etc is just a nonsense, an utter nonsense without any scientific credibility at all and people who believe in these things are deluded...look at Wicca for example..a cult invented in the 1950s, they fabricated an entire history based on nothing real at all and now 1,000s of people mistakenly believe ( avoided saying deluded ) scientology ..the same..christianity was just one of many cults trying to gain supremcy and would have come to nothing if a roman emperor , whose name escapes me for the moment, hadn´t made it compulsory, until recently mormons believed and preached that negros were not related to us it took an act of government to force them to stop...but they all believed it.... these were all people who believed something which was not true..not unlike people who believe in ghosts, fairies, goblins, werewolves , psychics, mediums etc....... and so-called "healers" charlatans and fraudsters every single one of them...taking money from the desperate and gullible with hocus pocus mumbo-jumbo that has even less scientific and medical credibilty than homeopathy and that´s saying something, there is always somebody happy to scam people with fake medical treatments honestly it seems like half the world hasn´t progressed in the last 10,000 years. It is both sad and scary.
Americorps I know because of your background you feel compelled to always fight for the minority but that doesn´t make you right all pf the time, and just because I disagree with you sometimes it doesn´t mean I´m bullying you or anyone else for that matter.
I knew a guy at school who was always being bullied..they called him names but he told them "sticks and stones can break my bones but names can never harm me" of course after that it was sticks and stones everytime. :wink:
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby americorps » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:00 pm

a lot of words to try and justify your behaviour, which I still do not think was kind.

There are millions of ways to disagree without calling names, if you insist on calling name,s you change from a disagreement to a personal attack and become cruel.

Justify it however you like, but i stand by my statement.

If I tend to be resistant to bullies, it is a badge I accept.
Comet

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby Comet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:26 pm

americorps wrote:a lot of words to try and justify your behaviour, which I still do not think was kind.

There are millions of ways to disagree without calling names, if you insist on calling name,s you change from a disagreement to a personal attack and become cruel.

Justify it however you like, but i stand by my statement.

If I tend to be resistant to bullies, it is a badge I accept.


I did not call anyone names...I said that some people are deluded...that is true..not an insult, not bullying, not name-calling...just a fact. I really can´t believe this it´s like playground at primary school. If telling the truth seems cruel to some poor sensitive people then I can´t help that anymore than you would refrain from being honest if someone came up with an outrageous cause for homosexuality that insulted your intelligence.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby americorps » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:55 pm

you are pretneding that you are being attacked for having a different opinion, I am neither attacking you or upset you have a different opinion.

I am just suggesting that you not call people names when they disagree with you because it is cruel.
Comet

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby Comet » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:22 am

americorps wrote:you are pretneding that you are being attacked for having a different opinion, I am neither attacking you or upset you have a different opinion.

I am just suggesting that you not call people names when they disagree with you because it is cruel.


For once and for all I did not call anyone names or attack anyone either.. believing in foolish things is a delusion , and believing in primative superstitions is foolish therefore the believers are deluded. I will not listen to ridiculous beliefs without pointing out the delusion. I am not oblidged to respect idiocy anymore than you or anyone else is, the difference is I am not afraid to say it..people have the right to believe anything they choose including all the primative beliefs I have already mentioned, and I have the right not to respect foolish, ridiculous, dangerous or implausable beliefs. OK ?
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby americorps » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:23 am

foolish


deluded


ridiculous


idiocy




uhmm, ok. Good luck with that.
alchemist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 am
Location: Geneva, Switzerland

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby alchemist » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:41 am

renodante wrote:If it were an angry poltergeist, it could throw pots and pans around when you're not in the room, but why not stab you in the chest with a knife? Why does that never happen? instead they opt to come from the spirit realm to.....drop a glass off the shelf. That'll show um to live in my old house!


In the spiritual sphere where people who have passed away go first, that is still in our dimension but at a different frequency, acceleration, there are some sort of laws that make it very difficult for these semi material spirits to physically change things in our dimension, there have to be particular circumstances and more evolved spirits permitting this for exceptional reasons.

Some spirits I've seen don't seem aware that they are in a new dimension, and try to act as they would have done in their physical bodies; they can move about, reflect, meditate. They can read thoughts, and influence people's thoughts in a positive way to help, or negative way especially those of persons who are, at any point of time, in a state of psychological weakness. One day, being in a relaxed but conscious state, I saw a group of spirits, they seemed happy, dressed in clothes from different periods, some recent, others from maybe 300 years ago. A child, a boy, in their group, dematerialized, I don't know where he went to,but the group payed no attention to this, they seemed to find it normal. I sensed that sooner or later, each spirit is drawn to a "higher place" for something resembling a regeneration / improving of their personality, their being.
* * *
“Why it's simply impassible!
Alice: Why, don't you mean impossible?
Door: No, I do mean impassible. (chuckles) Nothing's impossible!”
alchemist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 am
Location: Geneva, Switzerland

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby alchemist » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Comet wrote:
americorps wrote:a lot of words to try and justify your behaviour, which I still do not think was kind.

There are millions of ways to disagree without calling names, if you insist on calling name,s you change from a disagreement to a personal attack and become cruel.

Justify it however you like, but i stand by my statement.

If I tend to be resistant to bullies, it is a badge I accept.


I did not call anyone names...I said that some people are deluded...that is true..not an insult, not bullying, not name-calling...just a fact. I really can´t believe this it´s like playground at primary school. If telling the truth seems cruel to some poor sensitive people then I can´t help that anymore than you would refrain from being honest if someone came up with an outrageous cause for homosexuality that insulted your intelligence.


Comet, your truth.
I am not easily scared, but some of what you have written has started to make me feel uneasy, I wonder if you are conscious of this. I have nothing against constructive criticism, and I believe one can learn from others points of view even if they don't correspond to ours. But some of the things you have written are totally unecessary and/or unjustified, for example :

Comet wrote:PS "Deluded " is not a bullying word...now is I were to say "believe what I believe" or
1 you will go to hell
2 we will kill you
(hmmm who does tha sound like?)....that could be construed as bullying but then I am now a deluded follower of imaginary dieties.
Deluded is a word used when someone has a mistaken belief...so therefore saying " you´re wrong" is bullying too? Bit harsh what?


viewtopic.php?f=33&t=20153

Comet wrote:
alchemist wrote:Yes red, I am a healer, and practice in the true Swiss tradition, that is through laying on of hands and I do not ask for anything in return, it's a gift and knowledge I offer to help others, those who want to try it have nothing to lose. Many find relief to their symptoms, and for someone who can't visit me, I also help at distance, upon receiving a phone call or photo.


Words fail me...at least words that would not be instantly removed by the admin.
* * *
“Why it's simply impassible!
Alice: Why, don't you mean impossible?
Door: No, I do mean impassible. (chuckles) Nothing's impossible!”
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby Kelly » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:49 pm

I think this has gone on far enough - if you aren't interested in the subject, there's no reason to take part in the conversation.
alchemist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 am
Location: Geneva, Switzerland

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby alchemist » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:42 pm

I described an experience following years of daily practice of meditation, I was in a state of deep relaxation, with my eyes closed but conscious. I do not take drugs, don't drink alcohol, don't smoke. I feel well, coherent, in harmony, living a healthy, normal life with my husband.

Even supposing what I wrote was fantasy or fruit of my imagination, since when is writing fantasy a sign of mental illness ? Authors such as Allan Poe, Jules Vernes, Tolkien, J. K. Rowling, and my husband write, and these creative persons are not considered ready to be in a psychiatric hospital. Many writers' inspiration was born from their inner self, from their imagination.

In any case, even if one does not believe what I write is reality, one should respect others' ideas and be tolerant.
* * *
“Why it's simply impassible!
Alice: Why, don't you mean impossible?
Door: No, I do mean impassible. (chuckles) Nothing's impossible!”
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby Kelly » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:56 pm

Comet's account has been deleted at his request, so I think the best course is to continue the original conversation.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1228
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: miraflores

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby renodante » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:47 pm

the main reason I can't believe in ghosts, etc is due to what we know at this point about the brain and consciousness. damage the brain in certain areas, a persons personality changes. damage it enough, they are vegetative and have no personality basically. but...they can retain their entire personality after the brain is completely destroyed?

of course one will counter "but at that point they're in the spiritual world since they're disembodied" but i have to ask why this "spirit" can't override brain damage while you're still embodied?

also, not trying to be rude but that BBC London tubes documentary just comes off as a bunch of fisherman's stories to me. the old "you can't b.s a b.s'er" applies there. i used to have a few ghost stories i passed off as real and would give academy award winning performances when i told them.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1228
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: miraflores

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby renodante » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:17 pm

i used to live at a Tibetan Buddhist meditation center in rural Florida, for about 7 years. there was a pine plantation across the street, i had one neighbor, a widowed Nicaraguan lady who spoke no english about a mile down the road, pine plantations to the other side of me, and cow pastures behind me. the center was an old motel from the 50's, when the road it was on used to be a main interstate road, now it's a side road with little traffic.

the motel had two parts, the main building that used to be the office/restaurant was now the shrine/meditation room. the other building was a long, railroad style line of units that were the motel rooms back in the day. they still had the same motel layout, all the furniture, bathrooms, everything was intact, they still had the old numbers on them. i was the sole resident of the center, everyone else would only come on the weekend, or if our Tibetan lamas were in town for a week then the place would get packed. but otherwise it was just me, a former city boy, like Norman Bates living out there in an old motel by myself. needless to say, when i first moved in, i was terrified at night.

for the first few weeks, i would hear all kinds of things. i never saw anything, but all your typical creaking, footsteps sounds, sounds of what seemed like doors opening and closing. i was practically crapping myself every night. until one night i said to myself, "ok, i live here. i'm going to lock the doors and windows at night, if someone/thing tries to get in i'll hear it, so i'm just going to stop being scared and move on." after a night or two i just stopped hearing anything unusual. as far as i'm concerned, the only thing that changed was my state of mind. when i first got there, i was like "grrrreat, if there were anyplace ghosts would live, THIS IS IT." and so i set the stage in my mind to experience all kinds of hauntedness (i know that's not a real word). so the more i listened intently, the more i would hear. and the more i would hear, the more freaked out i'd get, and wind or creaking or whatever would transform into voices or doors opening and closing or whatever.

believers would say entities feed off fear and my lack of fear gave them nothing to eat, figuratively. but to me it's just a matter of how powerful the mind is when you get an idea in your head and focus on it. when i was a kid i would get so freaked out by horror movies (my parents let me watch stuff way too scary for a kid) that i would have full on auditory and visual hallucinations sometimes that night. i'm sure if i got worked up enough at that motel i would have started seeing things too. or, add to it if there was a legend about the motel in the town about murders there and hauntings, it would have been hallucination 2.0 time.
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:34 am

i wonder if this thread will last as long as Anselms ontological arguement! :wink:
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Surquillo

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:24 am

I enjoy this thread; Viviane, the alchemist - is a lovely person!
Believing or not to believe; she certainly is REALLY NICE!!! :roll:
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1228
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: miraflores

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby renodante » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:46 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:I enjoy this thread; Viviane, the alchemist - is a lovely person!
Believing or not to believe; she certainly is REALLY NICE!!! :roll:


agree 100%
User avatar
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby rama0929 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:38 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:I enjoy this thread; Viviane, the alchemist - is a lovely person!
Believing or not to believe; she certainly is REALLY NICE!!! :roll:


I think that merits a 8), not a :roll:
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Surquillo

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:56 am

I happen to like the "eyes" blinking; for you, the other face may be more appropriate...
I have experienced the "laying-on of hands" at my church in PA (USA); after my divorce.
This was the only "medicine" that helped to cure my suicidal mode - after my divorce; IT WORKS!!!

Philip :lol:
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1228
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: miraflores

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby renodante » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:08 am

I have experienced the "laying-on of hands" at my church in PA (USA); after my divorce.
This was the only "medicine" that helped to cure my suicidal mode - after my divorce; IT WORKS!!!


as long as it's not coupled with "don't go to doctors, all you need is us" or "that laying on of hands session will be $50 sir" then I have no beef with such things whatsoever.
User avatar
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby rama0929 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:16 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:I happen to like the "eyes" blinking; for you, the other face may be more appropriate...


As well as the eyes rolling, I suppose :P
alchemist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 am
Location: Geneva, Switzerland

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby alchemist » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:47 pm

The story about the old motel was very interesting, I really enjoyed reading it. It describes quite well that when going through such an experience, good discernment is essential, whether one sees it a paranormal event or not.

In choosing this paranormal, or supernatural theme, my aim was not to prove anything, I thought it would be interesting to share experiences of events for which it is difficult to find a rational explanation.

The experience that had the most effect on me, was a "near death experience": I felt myself go through a dark tunnel, and desperately wanted to come back as I suddenly became conscious I had not done something for myself in this life. I then found myself facing two or three "tall" spirits, I could not see them, only sense their presence, they explained a few mistakes I'd made in life, and then said: "What are you doing to help others ?". They said it in a gentle, but unforgettable way. I also perceived that exploring our inner world is the most important thing we can do, as this IS "reality", although we have to live our physical life the best we can.

I understood the aim is not to be vehement, fanatical in helping others, but to watch out for opportunities that present themselves, and according to one's possibilities or capacities.

After this experience, I feel some aspects of my personality have changed in a very subtle way. Emotions, feelings, have become less intense, I also felt changes of this type with the practice of meditation. On the other hand, I'm more aware of the importance of having compassion, empathy for others.
* * *
“Why it's simply impassible!
Alice: Why, don't you mean impossible?
Door: No, I do mean impassible. (chuckles) Nothing's impossible!”
respectfulamerican
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby respectfulamerican » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:43 am

Ghosts are real, I know for a fact. I lived in a house that was haunted. I was only there for about 3 or 4 months, but in that short time, my wife watched a kitchen pan hover above the stove it was cooking on, cupboards opened and closed by themselves on multiple occasions, and water would turn on and off by itself in the bathroom. This happened often, not just once or twice...

And my brother has been seeing ghosts his whole life. I wondered at times if he was making the stories up, until he was telling me one of his stories while it was about 95 degrees outside and I saw his arms turn to goosebumps as he was telling me. It was then that I knew for sure that he was telling me the truth.

But I guess we are both just dilusional huh? There's no other explanation ha ha :) I'm not trying to offend anyone, so please don't take offense.
alchemist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 am
Location: Geneva, Switzerland

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby alchemist » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:56 pm

renodante wrote:
I have experienced the "laying-on of hands" at my church in PA (USA); after my divorce.
This was the only "medicine" that helped to cure my suicidal mode - after my divorce; IT WORKS!!!


as long as it's not coupled with "don't go to doctors, all you need is us" or "that laying on of hands session will be $50 sir" then I have no beef with such things whatsoever.


I garantee I don't ask for $50 or any other fee, there's no catch to it. The only contribution I ask is when I do hospital, office or hospice visits, I use public transport, so the average contribution for travelling back and forth, that is to and from Lima center, is around fifteen soles from where I live; and you're right, laying on of hands should be a complement of medical treatment.
* * *
“Why it's simply impassible!
Alice: Why, don't you mean impossible?
Door: No, I do mean impassible. (chuckles) Nothing's impossible!”
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby chi chi » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:28 pm

alchemist wrote: The only contribution I ask is when I do hospital, office or hospice visits, I use public transport, so the average contribution for travelling back and forth, that is to and from Lima center, is around fifteen soles from where I live.


A 15 soles busride? Woww, where do you live?
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 843
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby falconagain » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:53 pm

My personal opinion is that the Paranormal and Supernatural exist. I cannot explain
the mechanics of it, but there have been many incidents in my life where there is
no rational explanation.

One example, during the year 2002 (Miami) it was Holy Friday and I decided to stop
my catholic superstition of eating fish. I started to select which barbecue place I was
going to visit. Like everybody on my neighborhood I parked my Silver Ford ZX2 on a
public parking. After breakfast I went outside to drive to work. Surprise, Surprise
my car was covered with Paloma/Pidgeon/Dove crap all over. There was so much
crap covering the vehicle that most people would think that it was white and not silver.
It took me half an hour to clean all that, meanwhile the birds where flying all around the
parking lot and me wondering, why did you do it only on my car when there is at least
200 other vehicles to choose. To this day I have no explanation to what happened.
Still I ate barbecue that day. Nobody is going to bully me.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby chi chi » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:58 pm

falconagain wrote:
Like everybody on my neighborhood I parked my Silver Ford ZX2 on a
public parking. After breakfast I went outside to drive to work. Surprise, Surprise
my car was covered with Paloma/Pidgeon/Dove crap all over. There was so much
crap covering the vehicle that most people would think that it was white and not silver.
It took me half an hour to clean all that, meanwhile the birds where flying all around the
parking lot and me wondering, why did you do it only on my car when there is at least
200 other vehicles to choose.


Probably because you didn't tip the valet the week before.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1228
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: miraflores

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby renodante » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Still I ate barbecue that day. Nobody is going to bully me.


hahahah YES!!!!!
alchemist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 am
Location: Geneva, Switzerland

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby alchemist » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:53 pm

falconagain wrote:My personal opinion is that the Paranormal and Supernatural exist. I cannot explain
the mechanics of it, but there have been many incidents in my life where there is
no rational explanation.

One example, during the year 2002 (Miami) it was Holy Friday and I decided to stop
my catholic superstition of eating fish. I started to select which barbecue place I was
going to visit. Like everybody on my neighborhood I parked my Silver Ford ZX2 on a
public parking. After breakfast I went outside to drive to work. Surprise, Surprise
my car was covered with Paloma/Pidgeon/Dove crap all over. There was so much
crap covering the vehicle that most people would think that it was white and not silver.
It took me half an hour to clean all that, meanwhile the birds where flying all around the
parking lot and me wondering, why did you do it only on my car when there is at least
200 other vehicles to choose. To this day I have no explanation to what happened.
Still I ate barbecue that day. Nobody is going to bully me.


If I remember right, in mythology, birds are messengers from "beyond", so apparently "someone" agreed with you throwing to the wind your old beliefs. But they normally communicate in a more romantic way, such as the same bird appearing on one's windowsill several days in a row !
Last edited by alchemist on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
* * *
“Why it's simply impassible!
Alice: Why, don't you mean impossible?
Door: No, I do mean impassible. (chuckles) Nothing's impossible!”
asher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 8:23 pm

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby asher » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:35 pm

Did anyone figure out the significance of the eucalyptus leaves yet ?
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Surquillo

Re: Paranormal activity

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:03 pm

What leaves; is Chi Chi smokin' that "whacky-tobacky" again???

Be good everyone...

Philip

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register