Christmas Eve and Day in Lima

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
jimbriani
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:57 am

Christmas Eve and Day in Lima

Postby jimbriani » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:36 pm

Does anyone know of any restaurants that will be open for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? I tried calling some and it seems many will be closed. Any suggestions as my family will be here from the US.


MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Re: Christmas Eve and Day in Lima

Postby MarcoPE » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:31 pm

jimbriani wrote:Does anyone know of any restaurants that will be open for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? I tried calling some and it seems many will be closed. Any suggestions as my family will be here from the US.


One option may be to check with some of the nicer hotel restaurants around (such as the Marriott ... probably a little pricey but I would guess they might be open).
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Christmas Eve and Day in Lima

Postby chi chi » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:05 pm

You'll be having more lucking playing a game of pick up sticks with your buttcheeks than finding a restaurant that will be open on Christmas.

Just like Marcope said, the expensive tourist hotels will be open.

Christmas is a day when people spend time with their family.

Even in the provinces, Christmas and New years eve is quite dull.

We were spending Christmas sitting under a palmtree in our garden with a bottle of Casillero Del Diablo and a box of Cuban cigars.
jimbriani
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:57 am

Re: Christmas Eve and Day in Lima

Postby jimbriani » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:44 pm

I'm surprised that some of the more touristy restaurants like Astrid y Gaston and Central aren't opening. I just don't have the kitchen space to host my entire family, and need to find somewhere that is open for both days.
User avatar
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:55 am

Re: Christmas Eve and Day in Lima

Postby calygirl » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:21 pm

chi chi wrote:You'll be having more lucking playing a game of pick up sticks with your buttcheeks than finding a restaurant that will be open on Christmas.

Just like Marcope said, the expensive tourist hotels will be open.

Christmas is a day when people spend time with their family.

Even in the provinces, Christmas and New years eve is quite dull.

We were spending Christmas sitting under a palmtree in our garden with a bottle of Casillero Del Diablo and a box of Cuban cigars.


Don't agree (surprise!) Christmas Eve everything starts closing at noon, don't think you'd have much luck finding decent restaurants open. That's the real family celebration time for Christmas for Peruvians. Christmas Eve dinner typically goes on into the wee hours of the morning. Christmas Day is more or less anti-climatic. People are sleeping late from staying up the night before, and start thinking about eating again in the afternoon. I think you'll find many restaurants open, especially in Miraflores. I'm sure Larcomar will be open as well and there are several restaurants open there. Also, the Tiendecita Blanca across the Parque Kennedy has a Christmas Brunch.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Christmas Eve and Day in Lima

Postby chi chi » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:17 am

calygirl wrote: I think you'll find many restaurants open, especially in Miraflores. I'm sure Larcomar will be open as well and there are several restaurants open there. Also, the Tiendecita Blanca across the Parque Kennedy has a Christmas Brunch.


Sure, they will be open in Miraflores. Many gringos will spend vacation there in december. And restaurants will take the opportunity to get hold of their 'mucho dollares'. And for sure, they will heavily inflate their gringo rates at Christmas time.
Suncha
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:26 pm

Re: Christmas Eve and Day in Lima

Postby Suncha » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:52 pm

chi chi wrote:
calygirl wrote: I think you'll find many restaurants open, especially in Miraflores. I'm sure Larcomar will be open as well and there are several restaurants open there. Also, the Tiendecita Blanca across the Parque Kennedy has a Christmas Brunch.


Sure, they will be open in Miraflores. Many gringos will spend vacation there in december. And restaurants will take the opportunity to get hold of their 'mucho dollares'. And for sure, they will heavily inflate their gringo rates at Christmas time.



It's great that Peruvians see a supply and demand effect w tourists. Maybe you should try and cash in on that also! Stop the bitching about tourists. It's getting old!
canadiantraveller
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:31 am

Re: Christmas Eve and Day in Lima

Postby canadiantraveller » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:28 pm

You´ll find most places closed on christmas eve as others have said. Larco Mar normally has some different options on Christmas Eve. I had to accommodate a group of travellers last year during this time and sent them to Cafe Cafe which had a special christmas menu. You may have to get tickets in advance.

Christmas day there are still several cafes and restaurants that will be open for lunch and dinner, look at Parque kennedy and you´ll be able to find something.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Christmas Eve and Day in Lima

Postby chi chi » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:58 pm

The first time I arrived in Lima was on December 25, 2008. I stayed at a hotel in Miraflores. I remember that the place was dead. The only place that was open was Shehadi's. As they went bust recently, I think their won't be anything that will still be open on Christmas now.
User avatar
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Magdalena del Mar
Contact:

Re: Christmas Eve and Day in Lima

Postby edgeclinger » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:19 am

This is too late to be helpful now, but in case this thread gets re-activated next year: we were surprised walking around Magdalena yesterday to realize there were lots of restaurants open. We had already planned to eat at home because we thought everything would be closed on the 25th, but next year will probably plan to eat at one of the nice local places.
Loving Living in Lima
User avatar
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Lima-13

Re: Christmas Eve and Day in Lima

Postby caliguy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:47 pm

edgeclinger wrote:This is too late to be helpful now, but in case this thread gets re-activated next year: we were surprised walking around Magdalena yesterday to realize there were lots of restaurants open. We had already planned to eat at home because we thought everything would be closed on the 25th, but next year will probably plan to eat at one of the nice local places.

thanks, good to know that.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register