Anyone remember Leonard's Lodgings in Cusco?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but some rules apply.

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anyone remember Leonard's Lodgings in Cusco?

Postby timothy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:05 pm

In the "old days" (!970's and 80's) I used to stay at Leonard's Lodgings in Cusco. Anyone ever have the pleasure ?

Leonard was a retired American with a guesthouse about 20 minutes walking distance to the Plaza, up-hill. But on the bright side, coming back was a breeze. He had married a Peruvian widow and they opened the lodge that probably had 10 rooms.

Leonard claimed that he came to Peru with a terminal ulcer, but the Peruvian hot chili peppers cured the ulcer. This was one of his many tales that he would tell as he held court every morning during the communal breakfast. There was not a question that he could not answer, but all of his answers were not necessarily correct. He even knew the whereabouts of Atahualpa's lost ransom treasure! He had seen EVIDENCE of aliens and theorized that the aliens had mated with the Incas, giving them the lost technology needed to build all of their wonderful ruins. In other words, he was a highly entertaining host.

His wife also had a farm near Tres Cruces, still high in the mountains, along the road from Cusco to Puerto Maldonado. That road, I am sure, appeared on that American reality show, World's Most Dangerous Roads. The farm had a couple of guest cottages that were very rustic but special nonetheless. You could catch a few trout for breakfast from the small river that ran in front of the house, and he had a fiberglass canoe that you could take your chances with and try to go downriver 4 miles to the village. If you made it, he'd come and pick you up. If you gave up, you had to carry the damned thing back to the farm. I tipped over a dozen times and froze my butt off, but eventually did make it to the village. And Leonard was there at sunset to pick me up.

He was a true character and an icon in Cusco. He was in his 70's back then, so he must be long gone by now.

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Anyone remember Leonard's Lodgings in Cusco?

Postby caliguy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:05 am

timothy wrote:In the "old days" (!970's and 80's) I used to stay at Leonard's Lodgings in Cusco. Anyone ever have the pleasure ?

Leonard was a retired American with a guesthouse about 20 minutes walking distance to the Plaza, up-hill. But on the bright side, coming back was a breeze. He had married a Peruvian widow and they opened the lodge that probably had 10 rooms.

Leonard claimed that he came to Peru with a terminal ulcer, but the Peruvian hot chili peppers cured the ulcer. This was one of his many tales that he would tell as he held court every morning during the communal breakfast. There was not a question that he could not answer, but all of his answers were not necessarily correct. He even knew the whereabouts of Atahualpa's lost ransom treasure! He had seen EVIDENCE of aliens and theorized that the aliens had mated with the Incas, giving them the lost technology needed to build all of their wonderful ruins. In other words, he was a highly entertaining host.

His wife also had a farm near Tres Cruces, still high in the mountains, along the road from Cusco to Puerto Maldonado. That road, I am sure, appeared on that American reality show, World's Most Dangerous Roads. The farm had a couple of guest cottages that were very rustic but special nonetheless. You could catch a few trout for breakfast from the small river that ran in front of the house, and he had a fiberglass canoe that you could take your chances with and try to go downriver 4 miles to the village. If you made it, he'd come and pick you up. If you gave up, you had to carry the damned thing back to the farm. I tipped over a dozen times and froze my butt off, but eventually did make it to the village. And Leonard was there at sunset to pick me up.

He was a true character and an icon in Cusco. He was in his 70's back then, so he must be long gone by now.

too bad :( but interesting story though!
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
emanaku
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emanaku » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:13 am

Hi timothy, thank you for sharing these adventures ;-)

There still exists a "Leonard's Lodging" in Cuzco - see http://www.leonardlodgings.com

If that is related to the one you know: I do not know ...

Happy New Year!

Emanáku
timothy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby timothy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:36 pm

emanaku wrote:Hi timothy, thank you for sharing these adventures ;-)

There still exists a "Leonard's Lodging" in Cuzco - see http://www.leonardlodgings.com

If that is related to the one you know: I do not know ...

Happy New Year!

Emanáku

Hello Emanaku,

I looked at the link you cited, and yes that is the place. Same big house, just a different color. I think I'll contact them just to see who is running the lodge these days. A lot of memories there. Also a lot of memories from the valley where you live.

Thanks for the tip.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:04 pm

I clicked on the web site; the room rates are:

Single - 105 soles
Double - 135
Triple - 165
* There are also promotional rates; but there was no explanation of policies for same?

My wife & I stayed in a clean, safe place in May 2012; it was $20 @ night in the heart of the city.
We were pleased & they had all the comforts (except a pool) & a nice breakfast; don't remember the name.

Good story...

Happy New Year to all,
Philip & Rosmery :roll:
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomasb » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:49 pm

For the record, there is only one hotel with an outdoor pool in Cusco. It is the Palacio Nazaranes-Orient Express and it is not even that warm. I have never seen anyone in the pool as I go into this hotel from time to time for work. The cost for a room here starts at about $700 of night. You can still find places in Cusco to stay that are decent and affordable as the poster just noted, however, the trend appears to be moving towards boutique and expensive lodging.
Jim86

Postby Jim86 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:14 pm

When I was single and 23 years old I used to be a guide in Peru (1978-1980) and stayed at Lenny’s place many times. He used to call me Jungle Jim and introduce me to female lodgers. On August 28, 1980 Lenny introduced me to a beautiful English women named Sue. She always smiled, was upbeat and said nice things to everyone she met with her Essex accent. I asked her out on Lenny’s insistence but when I told her we would dine with 16 of my tourists she declined. After hiking to Machu Pichu and later leaving my pacs in Lima I returned to Leonard’s Lodgings to find lovely Sue still there. I asked her out again. She said yes. We ate pollo with ahi, danced huayno to Andean music, walked late night Cusco. She returned to the US with me. We married. Two sons. Thirty eight years later Sue and I still celebrate August 28 rather than our wedding date and toast our friend Lenny. Sue still smiles and is a joy! Tks Lenny.
Jim86

Postby Jim86 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:32 pm

Timothy,
Lenny’s wife was the mayor of Paucartambo (hope my memory is correct) back in the late 1970’s. They had a a peaceful property next to a creek that ran into the river. The road from Cusco ran only one way every other day. In 1979 I did a day trip by raft on the river. Lenny’s wife had what looked like the whole town greet us as we passed under the town’s old stone bridge. Tens of school kids carried my raft from under the bridge up to the road like army ants.
At his lodging in Cusco he would tell stories at breakfast often the same ones I (or others) had related to him the day before about my travels to espiritu pampa, choquiquirou, & apurimac river trips. He was a delightful arm chair adventurer that made breakfast a Leonard’s Lodgings a pleasure. His wife was a gentle and kind person. I miss them. Thanks for bringing his memory back.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed May 30, 2018 8:46 pm

That is a great love story in Cusco

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register