Metro/Tottus/Plaza Vea

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Metro/Tottus/Plaza Vea

Postby caliguy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:58 am

I would consider these the "big 3" supermercados in Peru. does anyone have pros and cons about these 3? Which one is best for beef, vegetables, overall selection, and most importantly, checkout waiting time! I typically shop at Metro, and find it is just average. Checkout lines are most of the times, short, but that can be deceiving, as I jump back and forth to what appears to be the shortest line, only to find out someone has just handed the cashier a false bill!

every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Kelly

Re: Metro/Tottus/Plaza Vea

Postby Kelly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:44 pm

I dislike Metro - I never feel like it's clean in there.

Tottus, I shopped at a few times but don't really have an opinion on.

Plaza Vea is my favorite. I think the quality of meats/veggies etc is pretty much equal across the stores.

I'd include Wong (who also own Metro) - Wong is much better than Metro imo. It's as good as Plaza Vea, but is more expensive. The Wong here by my house tends to have more imported stuff than other stores I've shopped in.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:33 pm

I have to agree with Kelly. I don't know why, but I can't stand Metro. I do most of my supermarket shopping at Plaza Vea and normally get most of what I need. The quality of meat and veggies is ok. Checkout times vary depending on which day and what time you shop. The taxi service at the Plaza Vea near us is really great.

I absolutely love Wong. The service is great, they have lots of nice imported stuff, but are too expensive for me to do all my shopping there. Only minus for Wong is their taxi service.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:56 pm

I prefer Tottus because they are always attached to a Sodimac. Whilst my gf shops in Tottus, I have a look around in Sodimac to find some stuff for my home. And we meet afterwards at the refrigerio in Tottus.

Where I live now, the only supermercado is La Inmaculada. A nice supermarket but also the only one in the city.
A Metro and Plaza Vea are being built in Tarapoto. And Sagafalabella is coming as well.

But for fruit and vegetables, I prefer to go to the market. Haggling over the price of a brocolli is nice. And if you are at a crowded market, you feel like you are in a James Bond Movie made somewhere in Thailand.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:17 am

I do not like Metro either.

Wong is my favorite, because I almost never have to wait in line, they have great service and usually have all the products I need. I also have a bonus card, so I like getting those points.

I also like Tottus, but there isn't one close to me, otherwise I would shop there more often.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:16 am

Definitely a Wong fan! The service/selection is great and they carry everything right to my door!
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:34 am

Jalapenomel wrote:Wong is my favorite, because I almost never have to wait in line, they have great service and usually have all the products I need. I also have a bonus card, so I like getting those points.

I like Wong too but their point system is very deceptive. You get 1 point per 7 soles so then they have a "deal" on something that you may get a small discount but have to use 15 points (105 soles) and if you add it all up, it is just a game with one winner.
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TShadow » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:00 pm

I also hate Metro. I only go there sometimes on Wednesdays with the bonus card from my employee who is over 65 as you get 10% discount on your shopping.

In my opinion Tottus has the best meat quality. Plaza Vea is very good when offers are available like 3 x 2 or 50%. Wong has a lot of imported stuff (seems they sell gold), which from time to time I buy. For fruits and vegetables I often go to the market, but sometimes prices and quality is not so good.

I also go from time to time to Vivanda because it's only 10 Minutes with a car from Molina Plaza where I live. They sometimes have very good discounts and it's always empty, so I never had queues when paying. Unfortunately they don't accept my bonus card anymore, as they now require a DNI or CE.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:00 pm

thank you all for your replies! i had a gut feeling Metro would be at the bottom of the list. I went to San Isidro today, where there is a Metro and Tottus right across the street from each other. Inside Tottus was more pleasing to the eye, and just overall cleaner looking. Also had better meat and ham selection.
I never thought Plaza Vea would be a good choice, as I have rarely gone there.
Being as I live off Ave. Canada in La Victoria, the 2 closest markets are: Metro (Ave. Canada) and Metro (Ave. Mexico) there are no Tottus or Plaza Vea, and definitely, no Wong :(
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:49 am

I haven't shopped in a Metro in years, but when I did go, it seemed like their fish department always smelled very strong. And then I saw little cockroaches roaming around on the shelves. That was enough for me.

Plaza Vea is my store of choice. I think they've got good low prices, checkout is usually pretty quick, the store is always clean. The only thing that bothers me is that no matter how many people are working in the meat department or the deli department, no one wants to wait on you until you actually say "hey, can you help me?" - The deli especially, there are usually 4 or 5 people working in there and they're all too busy doing pre-slice packs to pay attention to the customers who need service.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:42 am

Glad for the info; thanks for sharing!

Philip :roll:
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:09 pm

Wong/Vivanda are at the top of my list for the nicest stores but they are way too expensive to shop at for us. Every once and awhile I stop in to Wong in an emergency or looking for a bargain, believe it or not when they put their home items on sale they give quite a good discount.

Plaza Vea is nice too but overall I find Tottus to be just as nice and cheaper so that is where we go most often. They have a decent selection of imported things and everything is always clean there.

I've been to Metro but I agree with the others, it just seemed dirty and dingy.
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:06 pm

I shop at wherever's closest. That happens to be Metro on Tupac Amaru. I'll go there if I can't find what I need at Caqueta

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register