Chileans can travel visa free to US from 2014

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Chileans can travel visa free to US from 2014

Postby chi chi » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:30 pm

http://www.cnnchile.com/noticia/2013/05 ... r-del-2014

From 2014, Chileans no longer need a visa to travel to the US.

Hopefully, all other Latin American countries will follow.

SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Chileans can travel visa free to US from 2014

Postby SmartKitty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:43 am

chi chi wrote:http://www.cnnchile.com/noticia/2013/05/27/chilenos-podran-viajar-a-eeuu-sin-visa-a-partir-del-2014

Don't dream about it. US gives the Waiver visa only to the countries from which the people doesn't stay illegal after arriving as a tourist or whatever, there is some limit number. Probably Chilean citizens obey the US border control and US immigration law and mostly don't overstay their visa.
My name is Fortunata Carhuapoma, pies de plomo. I'm a modest serrano girl in polleras and alpargatas.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:59 am

SmartKitty wrote:Don't dream about it. US gives the Waiver visa only to the countries from which the people doesn't stay illegal after arriving as a tourist or whatever, there is some limit number. Probably Chilean citizens obey the US border control and US immigration law and mostly don't overstay their visa.

People from EU countries don't need a visa either to travel to the US but there are loads of Europeans overstaying their visas and working illegally in the US. (just like I did for several years) Nowadays, more Europeans go illegally to the US due to the economic crisis.
Some friends of mine living in the US told me that that a lot of Spanish, Italian and Greek people are arriving in the US looking for jobs without a workvisa. The economic situation in Southern Europe is very bad.

Recently, some Eastern European countries joined the US visa waiver program too. Those countries suffer from very high unemployment and millions of people make $300 or less a month in those countries.

At least good news for the airlines that operate flights to the US. Flights to the US are popular nowadays. Especially one-way flights.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:15 am

chi chi wrote:
SmartKitty wrote:Don't dream about it. US gives the Waiver visa only to the countries from which the people doesn't stay illegal after arriving as a tourist or whatever, there is some limit number. Probably Chilean citizens obey the US border control and US immigration law and mostly don't overstay their visa.

People from EU countries don't need a visa either to travel to the US but there are loads of Europeans overstaying their visas and working illegally in the US. (just like I did for several years) Nowadays, more Europeans go illegally to the US due to the economic crisis.
Some friends of mine living in the US told me that that a lot of Spanish, Italian and Greek people are arriving in the US looking for jobs without a workvisa. The economic situation in Southern Europe is very bad.

Recently, some Eastern European countries joined the US visa waiver program too. Those countries suffer from very high unemployment and millions of people make $300 or less a month in those countries.

At least good news for the airlines that operate flights to the US. Flights to the US are popular nowadays. Especially one-way flights.

A lot, many ... Didn't I tell you? There is some magic number, once the country reaches certain amount/percentages of overstayed visa from the yearly total issued, this country doesn't qualify for Visa Weaver program. You say many European, etc. overstay or work, compare with Mexicans or Peruvians, etc. Visa Weaver is a program designed based on numbers, percentages, not many or a lot.
My name is Fortunata Carhuapoma, pies de plomo. I'm a modest serrano girl in polleras and alpargatas.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:46 pm

SmartKitty wrote:A lot, many ... Didn't I tell you? There is some magic number, once the country reaches certain amount/percentages of overstayed visa from the yearly total issued, this country doesn't qualify for Visa Weaver program.

In the US they can't check how many people that can overstaying because in the US you only pass immigration when you enter the country. When you leave the US, you don't have to go trough immigration.

Ireland is one of the country who has a loads of citizens that are overstaying and working illegally in the US. For sure they have reach that percentage. But they can still go to the US visa free.

In Peru, it's easy to see how many people overstay because they not only register your arrival in their computer system but also when you leave.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:07 pm

chi chi wrote:
SmartKitty wrote:A lot, many ... Didn't I tell you? There is some magic number, once the country reaches certain amount/percentages of overstayed visa from the yearly total issued, this country doesn't qualify for Visa Weaver program.

In the US they can't check how many people that can overstaying because in the US you only pass immigration when you enter the country. When you leave the US, you don't have to go trough immigration.

Ireland is one of the country who has a loads of citizens that are overstaying and working illegally in the US. For sure they have reach that percentage. But they can still go to the US visa free.

In Peru, it's easy to see how many people overstay because they not only register your arrival in their computer system but also when you leave.

:D Chi chi, you're living in the past, US border control doesn't check the exit of foreigner because it's at the airline registration, in the computer, everybody is in the system, Irish people still doesn't get to the overstay limits.
And I'm sorry, it's so difficult to explain to you. Do you now mathematics? Just think, par example, 100 tourists getting in and 61 getting out, you look and for you IT'S A LOT! Immigration services are looking and saying, it's only 39% overstayed, it's nothing, Visa Weaver allows up to 45%. I hope you understand.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:18 pm

SmartKitty wrote:And I'm sorry, it's so difficult to explain to you. Do you now mathematics? Just think, par example, 100 tourists getting in and 61 getting out, you look and for you IT'S A LOT! Immigration services are looking and saying, it's only 39% overstayed, it's nothing, Visa Weaver allows up to 45%. I hope you understand.

I think that 39% is quite a lot. And if 45% can overstay then many more countries might qualify for visa free travel.

Still, it won't do a lot to avoid illegal immigration. People who need a visa will simply apply for a tourist, business, student or whatever visa and simply overstay.

Most illegals in the US arrived legally in the country with or without a visa depending on the country the came from and overstay. Not all of them jumped over the border with Mexico.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:05 pm

chi chi wrote:
SmartKitty wrote:And I'm sorry, it's so difficult to explain to you. Do you now mathematics? Just think, par example, 100 tourists getting in and 61 getting out, you look and for you IT'S A LOT! Immigration services are looking and saying, it's only 39% overstayed, it's nothing, Visa Weaver allows up to 45%. I hope you understand.

I think that 39% is quite a lot. And if 45% can overstay then many more countries might qualify for visa free travel.

Still, it won't do a lot to avoid illegal immigration. People who need a visa will simply apply for a tourist, business, student or whatever visa and simply overstay.

Most illegals in the US arrived legally in the country with or without a visa depending on the country the came from and overstay. Not all of them jumped over the border with Mexico.

Again, it's only one example, not the real number, it's just simplified explanation. and if you think 39% it's a lot, compare with 90% Peruvians overstay.

And if you think, People who need a visa will simply apply for a tourist, business, student or whatever visa and simply overstay, ... think, it's because the people like you REAL students, tourists or business don't get visa and Peru doesn't get Visa Weaver.

Are you Peruvian, by the way? Hecha la ley, hecha la trampa works in Peru but not in US.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:23 pm

SmartKitty wrote:Again, it's only one example, not the real number, it's just simplified explanation. and if you think 39% it's a lot, compare with 90% Peruvians overstay.

And if you think, People who need a visa will simply apply for a tourist, business, student or whatever visa and simply overstay, ... think, it's because the people like you REAL students, tourists or business don't get visa and Peru doesn't get Visa Weaver.

Are you Peruvian, by the way? Hecha la ley, hecha la trampa works in Peru but not in US.

I am not Peruvian. I am European and I don't need visa to travel to the US.

I overstayed several times in the US. And never had a problem when going back. You only pass immigration when you arrive in the US.
Only when you get caught during a workplace raid or so then then they put your name in the computer so when you get back next time, the immigration officer can see that you work illegally or have overstayed your 90 days stamp.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:48 pm

chi chi wrote:I am not Peruvian. I am European and I don't need visa to travel to the US.

I overstayed several times in the US. And never had a problem when going back. You only pass immigration when you arrive in the US.
Only when you get caught during a workplace raid or so then then they put your name in the computer so when you get back next time, the immigration officer can see that you work illegally or have overstayed your 90 days stamp.

You were lucky. Now it doesn't work. Jobs are in e-verify system and getting out of US is registered, you can't see it but you are in the system. Also US periodically ask friendly countries about they arrival records. Even in Peru, if you wish to get an American visa and you were visiting the US before, they ask you to bring your Peruvian arrival record.

Sorry Chi chi, you won't cheat the American government anymore. BTW, what country are you from?
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Dont know why anyone would want to travel to the US, but to each their own. :roll:

Was wondering if this means eventually that Chile would get rid of their reciprocity fee for US citizens? :mrgreen:
richiecry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richiecry » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:23 pm

Chi Chi...you are at least partly wrong with what you say about being "registered" when you leave the USA....you are NOT--at least not if you are either Canadian or going to Canada---I am not sure which but I know for a fact that my leavings have not been registered.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:39 pm

richiecry wrote:Chi Chi...you are at least partly wrong with what you say about being "registered" when you leave the USA....you are NOT--at least not if you are either Canadian or going to Canada---I am not sure which but I know for a fact that my leavings have not been registered.

Since the American Patriot act North american law enforcement has access to all commercial transactions.
If you use a credit card or debit card they can track you. If you use cash they can flag you and find you.
Privacy has been dead for a long time.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:54 pm

richiecry wrote:Chi Chi...you are at least partly wrong with what you say about being "registered" when you leave the USA....you are NOT--at least not if you are either Canadian or going to Canada---I am not sure which but I know for a fact that my leavings have not been registered.

Ha-ha-ha :lol: Read this

U.S. Quietly Monitors Foreigners’ Departures at the Canadian Border
as foreigners leave the United States to enter Canada — and their passports are checked by the border authorities there — the information is sent back to the United States and recorded as the official “exit” record.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/22/us/us ... d=all&_r=0
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:24 am

I am confused, what is "Visa Weaver"; is this a misspelling of Visa Waiver - please educate us expats.

Philip :roll:
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:35 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:I am confused, what is "Visa Weaver"; is this a misspelling of Visa Waiver - please educate us expats.

misspelling
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:42 am

SmartKitty wrote:You were lucky. Now it doesn't work. Jobs are in e-verify system and getting out of US is registered, you can't see it but you are in the system. Sorry Chi chi, you won't cheat the American government anymore. BTW, what country are you from?

??? If all Jobs are in the e-verify system and illegals are no longer employed then you will have to clean your own room in many motels. And you will have to cook your own food and wash your own plates when visiting a restaurant in the US.

I have many friends in the US. A lot of them are illegal and they told me that getting a job is a bit more difficult in some states but you can still get a job.
Look at Craiglist and look how many hospitality jobs are available.

Most American companies prefer illegals. Simply because they can't complain about the wage, working conditions, working hours, go on strike, getting sickness pay and they can be fired on the spot without have to pay them notice or whatever other compensation.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:44 am

SmartKitty wrote:U.S. Quietly Monitors Foreigners’ Departures at the Canadian Border[/size]
as foreigners leave the United States to enter Canada — and their passports are checked by the border authorities there — the information is sent back to the United States and recorded as the official “exit” record.

I don't see anyone checking on the picture. Or they might be on their lunchbreak.

5.jpg
5.jpg (10.17 KiB) Viewed 4359 times

There's even a library in the town of Stanstead. You walk in via frontdoor that's located in the US. You leave via the backdoor and you are in Canada.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:13 pm

chi chi wrote:
SmartKitty wrote:You were lucky. Now it doesn't work. Jobs are in e-verify system and getting out of US is registered, you can't see it but you are in the system. Sorry Chi chi, you won't cheat the American government anymore. BTW, what country are you from?

??? If all Jobs are in the e-verify system and illegals are no longer employed then you will have to clean your own room in many motels. And you will have to cook your own food and wash your own plates when visiting a restaurant in the US.

I have many friends in the US. A lot of them are illegal and they told me that getting a job is a bit more difficult in some states but you can still get a job.
Look at Craiglist and look how many hospitality jobs are available.

Most American companies prefer illegals. Simply because they can't complain about the wage, working conditions, working hours, go on strike, getting sickness pay and they can be fired on the spot without have to pay them notice or whatever other compensation.

Dream about it. It looks like you were deported.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:14 pm

chi chi wrote:
SmartKitty wrote:U.S. Quietly Monitors Foreigners’ Departures at the Canadian Border[/size]

I don't see anyone checking on the picture. Or they might be on their lunchbreak.

5.jpg

There's even a library in the town of Stanstead. You walk in via frontdoor that's located in the US. You leave via the backdoor and you are in Canada.

You were illegal there. Times changed.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:33 pm

chi chi wrote:

5.jpg

Of course, they have shown the library many times on Prime time US TV, a town where strangers are easy
to spot. While it may appear peaceful and easy. It is in fact one of the least likely points where a person
can cross that border.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:36 pm

SmartKitty wrote:Dream about it. It looks like you were deported.

Last december, I was in New York so it if I was deported a few years before that then it would have been probably imposible to go to the US.
I don't need a visa anyway to travel to the US. I can go anytime.

SmartKitty wrote:You were lucky. Now it doesn't work. Jobs are in e-verify system and getting out of US is registered, you can't see it but you are in the system. Sorry Chi chi, you won't cheat the American government anymore.

If I go to the US tomorrow, then I will get a job easily. I still have contact with the places I worked for and they've told me that I can come back to work for them anytime.
Decent employers simply employ the best applicants and don't discriminate on immigration status. Illegal immigrants are all hard, honest and decent workers.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:51 pm

chi chi wrote:
SmartKitty wrote:Dream about it. It looks like you were deported.

Last december, I was in New York so it if I was deported a few years before that then it would have been probably imposible to go to the US.
I don't need a visa anyway to travel to the US. I can go anytime.

SmartKitty wrote:You were lucky. Now it doesn't work. Jobs are in e-verify system and getting out of US is registered, you can't see it but you are in the system. Sorry Chi chi, you won't cheat the American government anymore.

If I go to the US tomorrow, then I will get a job easily. I still have contact with the places I worked for and they've told me that I can come back to work for them anytime.
Decent employers simply employ the best applicants and don't discriminate on immigration status. Illegal immigrants are all hard, honest and decent workers.

Chi chi, are you a girl or a boy? Why do you insist in violating the law? Are you a criminal?
Sounds like you even don't know anything about American immigration law. Last years hiring illegals is a crime in US, no decent employer would hire you because they will be facing criminal charges.
Penalties for Employers Hiring Illegal Immigrants
http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/a ... rants.html
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:57 pm

Federal Immigration and Nationality Act
Section 8 USC 1324(a)(1)(A)(iv)(b)(iii)

"Any person who . . . encourages or induces an alien to . . . reside . . . knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such . . . residence is . . . in violation of law, shall be punished as provided . . . for each alien in respect to whom such a violation occurs . . . fined under title 18 . . . imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both."

Section 274 felonies under the federal Immigration and Nationality Act, INA 274A(a)(1)(A):

A person (including a group of persons, business, organization, or local government) commits a federal felony when she or he:

* assists an alien s/he should reasonably know is illegally in the U.S. or who lacks employment authorization, by transporting, sheltering, or assisting him or her to obtain employment, or

* encourages that alien to remain in the U.S. by referring him or her to an employer or by acting as employer or agent for an employer in any way, or

* knowingly assists illegal aliens due to personal convictions.

Penalties upon conviction include criminal fines, imprisonment, and forfeiture of vehicles and real property used to commit the crime. Anyone employing or contracting with an illegal alien without verifying his or her work authorization status is guilty of a misdemeanor. Aliens and employers violating immigration laws are subject to arrest, detention, and seizure of their vehicles or property. In addition, individuals or entities who engage in racketeering enterprises that commit (or conspire to commit) immigration-related felonies are subject to private civil suits for treble damages and injunctive relief.
read more...
http://www.americanpatrol.com/REFERENCE ... C1324.html
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:12 pm

SmartKitty wrote:Chi chi, are you a girl or a boy? Why do you insist in violating the law? Are you a criminal?
Sounds like you even don't know anything about American immigration law. Last years hiring illegals is a crime in US, no decent employer would hire you because they will be facing criminal charges.
Penalties for Employers Hiring Illegal Immigrants
http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/a ... rants.html

Kitty, I can understand that you are frustrated that so many illegal immigrants are living and still coming to your country but unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it. They are there, will stay there and many more will keep coming. And if they stay long enough, they will get amnesty and get legalised eventually.

You also have to look at the history of the US. All Americans have ancestors that came from abroad. (Unless you are an native American off course) Immigrants made and are still making the US like it is today.
The doors of the US have always been open to anyone but since not too long ago, people need visas and there are immigration regulations. Once the river starts flowing, you can't stop it.

Those people are just looking for a better life for them and their family. Is that a crime? Many of those people come to the US to escape the war, extreme poverty or discrimination in their home country.

Calling illegal immigrants criminals isn't right.
Kitty, let's say a war breaks out in the US and you jump over the border to Mexico, you will also be an illegal immigrant. Would you like to be called a criminal then?

If people get into a country without a visa without passing through the proper channels then the immigrant shouldn't be blamed for that but the goverment. If people can get in a country illegally then it means that the government didn't do it's job properly.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:19 pm

SmartKitty wrote:Federal Immigration and Nationality Act
Section 8 USC 1324(a)(1)(A)(iv)(b)(iii)

"Any person who . . . encourages or induces an alien to . . . reside . . . knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such . . . residence is . . . in violation of law, shall be punished as provided . . . for each alien in respect to whom such a violation occurs . . . fined under title 18 . . . imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both."

In many states, those laws aren't enforced or not a lot.
And there are many laws that favour the illegal immigrants.
In many states, the pólice isn't even allowed to enquire about your immigration status.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Order_40

Special order 40:

Officers shall not initiate police action with the objective of discovering the alien status of a person.
Officers shall not arrest nor book persons for violation of title 8, section 1325 of the United States Immigration code (Illegal Entry).[3]

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/06/ ... n-america/
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:41 pm

SmartKitty, in my opinion - YOU ARE A VERY SMART KITTY!!!
As a former CONSUMER ADVOCATE in PA (USA); I applaud your comments & research herein.

Best wishes,
PS - hopefully my wife & I can have the privilege of your company at dinner, in the near future.

[email protected] or 271-3849 (Aurora Este in Surquillo - very close to Plaza Vea on Angamos & Principal)
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:02 am

chi chi wrote:http://www.cnnchile.com/noticia/2013/05/27/chilenos-podran-viajar-a-eeuu-sin-visa-a-partir-del-2014

Chile has had a robust economy for some years now. It is one of the countries who are no longer considered 3rd world by the USA.
FROADS
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby FROADS » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:11 pm

I can see Peru getting the same deal in a decade and maybe with a lot of countries in south america. This is a more globalized world now. There is a favorable outlook towards investment in Peru even with the recent slump; a lot of foreigners have been coming here for business reasons as opposed to the usual tourism. You can see the influx of asians and europeans first hand...

The only thing stopping us is the direction our politicians have in mind. If it's for a social common benefit, we will progress; if it's for self interest, we will regress.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register