$50,000 bus robbery

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
irish84
Silver Member
Silver Member

$50,000 bus robbery

Postby irish84 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:30 am

Hey guys,

Anybody see this? Thoughts? I had wondered why this had not happened much before...these buses carry passengers late at night in the middle of nowhere with a lot of valuables on board. I wonder if Cruz Del Sur was specifically targetted...going to Cusco and probably the most popular tourist bus. No mention of it on CDS website or their facebook...I am tempted to post the link myself!

http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-touris ... len-100285

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: $50,000 bus robbery

Postby caliguy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:28 am

wonder what would have happened if the driver didnt stop. That is supposed to be part of the safety of CDS, is not stopping. I would take a gander that they knew CDS had tourists with valuables on board. dont think they would have stopped a bus that had cargo on the roof. A member here, "Roger from the US", recenly asked about a trip to Cuzco on a bus. i now have my doubts :(
BTW, dont think they will post it on their fb page.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:37 pm

irish84 wrote:Hey guys,

Anybody see this? Thoughts? I had wondered why this had not happened much before...these buses carry passengers late at night in the middle of nowhere with a lot of valuables on board. I wonder if Cruz Del Sur was specifically targetted...going to Cusco and probably the most popular tourist bus. No mention of it on CDS website or their facebook...I am tempted to post the link myself!

http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-touris ... len-100285

What a "nice" advertising for to increase/decrease tourism. :?
My name is Fortunata Carhuapoma, pies de plomo. I'm a modest serrano girl in polleras and alpargatas.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:00 pm

When I travelled CDS, I appreciated that the passengers were all videotaped entering the bus, though I knew it would do nothing to prevent this type of crime. Knowing that all busses were tracked by GPS made me feel less vulnerable to the bus being stopped by banditos (who I'm guessing know the security procedures of the bus companies) and robbed. Guess that didn't help in this case. You would think that whoever monitors the buses would notice that this bus was stopped for an hour and was 500 meters (I believe) off the highway. What happened? Why weren't the police notified as this was happening? Do the bus drivers have a way of alerting the bus company via distress signal that they have been stopped and are about to be boarded and robbed? Was the monitor in on it and conveniently looked the other way for the entire hour? Is there any legal recourse to be found by the passengers against CDS for doing nothing about one of their buses being stopped and off the road for an hour, though supposedly safe because it is being monitored (and advertised as such)?
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:37 pm

We travel Oltursa to Chiclayo, they do not open the doors until you arrive at your destination.
The driver is locked in his cabin. They also video tape and scan for weapons (bags, body etc...).
It is well worth the first class price.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:51 pm

tupacperu wrote:We travel Oltursa to Chiclayo, they do not open the doors until you arrive at your destination.
The driver is locked in his cabin. They also video tape and scan for weapons (bags, body etc...).

CDS also video tapes and scans for weapons which would not have helped with a bunch of robbers on the road willing to shoot at the driver through the front window. One has to wonder what would have happened if the driver did not stop the bus.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Video tapes and scanning passengers for weapons does not help much against an ambush in a remote area and robbers armed with AK47s.

Nonetheless, in a recent bus assault (in June; near Cuzco), a woman was fed up with being a victim. She killed one of the armed thugs with a knife while his accomplices escaped.
http://www.elpopular.pe/actualidad-y-po ... altaba-bus

Beware of women with knives! ;-)
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:17 am

caliguy wrote:wonder what would have happened if the driver didnt stop. That is supposed to be part of the safety of CDS, is not stopping. I would take a gander that they knew CDS had tourists with valuables on board. dont think they would have stopped a bus that had cargo on the roof. A member here, "Roger from the US", recenly asked about a trip to Cuzco on a bus. i now have my doubts :(
BTW, dont think they will post it on their fb page.

It's easy to stop a bus. Just roll a few big rocks on the road or park a car accross the road.

The news that $50000 worth of stuff got stolen on a bus full of tourists unfortunately makes it sound that all tourists have a lot of valuables and makes robbing tourist buses a lucrative 'business'.

Tourists easily spend a few thousand $$$ on a 2 or 3 weeks trip to Peru and Peru is a cheap vacation destination but tourists forget that for the same money they spend in a few weeks, a Peruvian has to slave himself out a whole year working 6 days a week 12 hours a day and has to support his elderly parents, his children and himself with that money.
Peruvians aren't idiots. Most Peruvians have friends and family members that live abroad so they know that people in Europe and the US make a lot more money and have to work far less for that. Even if they don't work the wellfare office gives them enough money to live off.

Many tourists arrive in Lima and stay in nice hotels and eat in nice restaurants in Miraflores or San Isidro and
they consider the prices very affordable compared to back home. And they see all those nice flatbuildings, restaurants, nice cars, exclusive shops in Miraflores and San Isidro and have the impression that people live nice in Peru.
But they should pay a visit to the home of the waitress that served their 25 soles cocktail, the roommaid that cleaned their 500 soles a night room at the Marriot or the shop attendant who sold them a 375 soles pair of shoes. They don't live in San Isidro or Miraflores but they travel everyday on an overcrowed combi to get there. They will encounter a whole family living in a two bed flat with 3 locks on the door and located in a street in El Agustino where all buildings are clad with graffiti. Welcome to ''the hood''.
23.jpg
(157.45 KiB) Downloaded 402 times

22.jpg
22.jpg (30.33 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:28 pm

It is unfortunate that things like this happen. Hopefully some or most of the folks have some form of insurance to replace the things that were stolen. I frequently travel north of Trujillo in the valle Chicama and it is well known that the danger of being robbed or worse increases siginifcantly at night. If I am going to be travelling at night I will usually have only a small amount of cash and leave my valuables such as the laptops and cameras in a secure location to minimise risk. I think there is always a certian amount of risk one must assume when travelling in Peru, it helps to know what those risks are and minimize the exposure as much as possible. I have seen it suggested here it is better to fly to Cusco, mainly for other reasons such as the long and ardous ride, but there is also something to be said for the security of flying. It may be more costoso but if I will avoid being robbed it is worth it to me.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:36 pm

vivaperusurf wrote:... but there is also something to be said for the security of flying. It may be more costoso but if I will avoid being robbed it is worth it to me.

Sure, but you loose seeing a lot of interesting and tipical countryside....
No risk, no fun... :|

@chichi:
Thank you for the fotos and comments: Yes, that is reality here in Lima! However, I wonder how tourist can NOT see this - even when travelling from the airport to their hotel in Miraflowers?
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:49 am

Where were the photos taken, Chi Chi?
They remind me of TACORA; where my partner & I buy antiques.
We go in dirty clothes & don't shave for a few days; it is a shame some people have to live this way.

Philip :roll:
PS - maybe some pics of YOUR TOWN - Tarapoto (Chi Chi is the unofficial mayor & largest investor!).
miaperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby miaperu » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:09 am

tupacperu wrote:We travel Oltursa to Chiclayo, they do not open the doors until you arrive at your destination.

The doors only open when it goes off a cliff in to a rageing river below.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:09 pm

chi chi wrote:
caliguy wrote:But they should pay a visit to the home of the waitress that served their 25 soles cocktail, the roommaid that cleaned their 500 soles a night room at the Marriot or the shop attendant who sold them a 375 soles pair of shoes. They don't live in San Isidro or Miraflores but they travel everyday on an overcrowed combi to get there. They will encounter a whole family living in a two bed flat with 3 locks on the door and located in a street in El Agustino where all buildings are clad with graffiti. Welcome to ''the hood''.
23.jpg

22.jpg

Chi Chi I spent a lot of time in places like that during my time in Peru (the slums of Chimbote). The first time I went there I was a bit shocked, but after a while you get used to it and actually it isn't really that bad. People there are poor, but they aren't miserable. They play futbol, go to la disco, eat great ceviche. I can think of a lot of things that are worse than being poor in Peru....

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register