Decent beer in Lima - Found!

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
budley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Decent beer in Lima - Found!

Postby budley » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:51 am

Revisiting a topic from a couple months ago. There is now a craft ale in Peru and its quite tasty. (Before going any further, I am in no way connected to this beer company)

Barbarian Ale is the real deal, just tried one last week at the Lima Rugby Bar in Miraflores. the beer is flavorful, rich, well carbonated, I recommend it. They also have a porter which i didn't have time to try, and an IPA which was not on tap. The Barbarian beer is expensive at S/14 for a pint of chopp (tap), but I say let's pay the price for quality and support this company!

Also, the Tottus supermarket at Canaval y Moreyra in San Isidro has a decent selection of non pale lager imports, including 3 or 4 good ales from Fullers (England), a few ales from Greene King (England), Chimay, Maredsous and a few other options from Belgium, 4 flavors of wheat beer from Erdinger in Germany, etc. They are very expensive, prepare to pay through the nose to enjoy some flavor in the mouth!

Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Decent beer in Lima - Found!

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:45 am

Hopefully Chi Chi reads this post; he may even buy you the first round - from all the money he saves by paying four (4) soles for a haircut & re-selling his cable TV service in Tarapoto!

Can anyone prove to me that Chi Chi is a REAL PERSON? Photos would be best...

Philip :roll:
budley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby budley » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:50 pm

I was just in Tarapoto and i did see a guy with a bad haircut shaking his head over the undemocratically high price of pancitos at the Inmaculada supermarket off the plaza. Probably should have said hi to Chi Chi right then.
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Another good thing about an ale like Chimay is that not only does it taste great, it's got a good kick to it (9.0% abv).

Even though it's more expensive, many folks can't drink more than one or even finish one.
sidro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sidro » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:Hopefully Chi Chi reads this post; he may even buy you the first round - from all the money he saves by paying four (4) soles for a haircut & re-selling his cable TV service in Tarapoto!

Can anyone prove to me that Chi Chi is a REAL PERSON? Photos would be best...

Philip :roll:

Trying to be helpful, I do recall that Chi Chi had mentioned, during one of our more vigorous debates, that he/she wore pointed hi-heeled boots, with rhinestones while riding in a moto-taxi, kicking cars while on his/her way to a haircut. This may make it easier to find him/her.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:44 pm

OMG I have tried Chimay and it was frankly disgusting... :(

drinkable but disgusting
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:00 pm

Hitoruna wrote:OMG I have tried Chimay and it was frankly disgusting... :(

drinkable but disgusting

Really? Chimay is a world class Belgium ale.
Well, everyone has different tastes.

You must be into lagers.
What's your favorite?
richiecry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richiecry » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:02 pm

I dunno....but I have to say...I like Cuzquena. I think Cristal has to be the most horrible beer ever invented...but Cuzquena (as long as it is COLD) tastes good to me.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:45 pm

richiecry wrote:I dunno....but I have to say...I like Cuzquena. I think Cristal has to be the most horrible beer ever invented...but Cuzquena (as long as it is COLD) tastes good to me.

the "most horrible"?? I guess you have never tasted the ones from the US then....
Undrinkable.

And I have tasted beers from a lot of countries, some good, some not so good, but the only ones who couldnt pass through my throat were the US ones.

Cristal is fine, I just drank one yesterday. Of course Cuzquena is vastly superior....

there was a funny pic around the internet lately that says Cristal is the wife as she is number one but Cuzquena (or Pilsen dont remember) is the lover since she is the "most rica" :mrgreen:
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:49 pm

metal moth wrote:

drinkable but disgusting

You must be into lagers.
What's your favorite?

oh dont get me wrong, Belgium Beers are excellent! I really enjoyed them...
Only once I tasted Chimay and didnt like it, well perhaps it was me the hotness etc... I should try it again then
Merkadiz

Postby Merkadiz » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:58 am

This might help. A brand new shop with a brand new concept has opened in Miraflores. They have a wide range of European Ales: Belgians like Chimay, Delirium, Duvel, Chouffe .....English like Old Speckled Hen, Abbot, London Pride, English Ciders, German (even alcohol-free), and so on. The best: at very affordable prices. Duvel was at 12 soles but I think now the promotion is over but Delirium was at 21, Chimay at 18. Find it in Facebook as MERKADIZ. They also have plenty of things from all over the world that you will not find in supermarkets. The best they got are the cakes, pastries, biscuits, Peruvian coffees, and many other stuff each of them with a history to tell. Cheers, Enrique
mconnorsbeverly

Postby mconnorsbeverly » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:36 am

Are there any stores in Lima that sell American beer?
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:52 am

Hitoruna wrote:
metal moth wrote:

drinkable but disgusting

You must be into lagers.
What's your favorite?

oh dont get me wrong, Belgium Beers are excellent! I really enjoyed them...
Only once I tasted Chimay and didnt like it, well perhaps it was me the hotness etc... I should try it again then

Tried it again yesterday! :oops: world class my arse! What a disgusting concoction! I was totally fine all day, drank half a glass (in an empty stomach) and was sick the rest of the evening :x . Will never taste that kerosene again in my life!
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:43 am

American craft beers (especially IPAs) put to to shame most everything I've tried overseas with the exception of Guinness. Belgian beers are way over hyped. Chimay tastes like carbonated lighter fluid. :twisted:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:33 am

richiecry wrote:I think Cristal has to be the most horrible beer ever invented...but Cuzquena (as long as it is COLD) tastes good to me.

Trujillo and Franca are much worser than Cristal.

Cuzquena is the best Peruvian beer.
Especially Cuzquena Trigo is excellent. It's my favourite Peruvian beer.
Tracyrteach
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Tracyrteach » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:08 am

Hi there, my name is Tracy Teach and I have long complained about the absence of world-class beer in Peru. A country so rich in gastronomy, yet so poor in fine beer. I too, have spent far too much at Wong or Tottus on Delirium, Chouffe, Chimay, Duvel, Abbot, etc. I have taken matters into my own hands and I am joining the Craft beer movement in Lima and I am brewing from home. I hope to have a location and paperwork in place within the next 12 months to be able to sell openly to the public. For now, it's a closed door operation.
"Teach Beer" sells for 7 soles a bottle of 330ml and 13 soles for a 620ml. I currently have three types for sale.
A pale ale, fashioned after my favorite American beer, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. A double IPA, fashioned after Stone's Arrogant *****. And a lighter American Wheat, similar to Sam Adam's Summer Ale. More beer coming soon...
Feel free to contact me by email [email protected] or by phone 993274345 (although, I'll be picking up beer supplies in the US from 10/23-10/29)
Last edited by Tracyrteach on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tracyrteach
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Tracyrteach » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:14 am

Besides my TeachBeer, I'm a BIG supporter of the other local companies. Barbarian, Cumbres, Sierra Andina are all doing a great job and now the Barranco Beer Company has finally opened it's doors as well.
Cumbres has recently released their Maiz Morado IPA at 7.2% and made with imported Belgian malt, it is outstanding!!! Sierras Andina, from Huaraz is growing in popularity as well. I saw their beer for sale at Deli France on Comandante Espinar in Miraflores and I've enjoyed their beer in Barranco and Miraflores. Barbarian's Red and IPA are both delicious and I love fresh off the tap. Cañas y Tapas on Gral Borgona off of Jose Pardo is the bar/pub with the best variety of local and international beers in bottles and on tap.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register