Calling Peru from the U.S and vice-versa?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Riley620
Gold Member
Gold Member

Calling Peru from the U.S and vice-versa?

Postby Riley620 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:56 pm

What is the best and cheapest way to do that?

Thanks

Riley C
Email:[email protected]
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Calling Peru from the U.S and vice-versa?

Postby argidd » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:35 pm

Skype!
LOL

There are calling cards in the US, especially if you live close to latin communities you find them at convenience stores, they give you a looooot of minutes calling a landline in Lima. If I found a calling card to call Peru in a tiny town in East England at a gas station, in the middle of Winter at 9 PM, you can, for sure, find one in the US... :lol:

From Lima to the US you can use a card called "Hola Perú" or its sister "Tarjeta 147", they will give you about 30 min for 10 soles (about $4) to a landline in the US. Telecommunications are very expensive in Peru!!!

Honestly, when my husband and I were not married yet and he was in the UK and I was here, Skype was our daily bread. Texting also helps (especially when you have a significant time difference).
Regards,

Argidd
Riley620
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Riley620 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:29 pm

haha yeah skype is my friend. My girlfriend cant use wifi all the time which sucks though. Yeah I remember when I came to peru and used the telephone in the hotel..Was a bad mistake haha, I racked up like 200 sols xp. Its hard to call a landline right now because right now her parents don't approve of us because they dont believe I will come there to live(we are both kinda young and shes still going to college.) They are very protective also. Right now we been together for almost 8 months and keeping strong from not talking so much xp. I found a skype plan for $10 for unlimited minutes to landlines xp..I'm looking to move there in about Sep. So i'm getting as much information as I can and going to get my TEFL. Do you have any tips for me about living there?

Riley C
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:40 pm

The easiest way is probably skype though it isn't the cheapest. There are also some apps if you have a smart phone like callcentric.com (they have an app) that charges 1.65 cents per minute. You don't need a smart phone to use callcentric, you can dial from their site and it will call your phone and then the peruvian phone.

Skype has a sliding scale depending on if you pay for a monthly plan or not but generally is more expensive but free if it is skype to skype.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:09 pm

sbaustin wrote:The easiest way is probably skype though it isn't the cheapest. There are also some apps if you have a smart phone like callcentric.com (they have an app) that charges 1.65 cents per minute. You don't need a smart phone to use callcentric, you can dial from their site and it will call your phone and then the peruvian phone.

Skype has a sliding scale depending on if you pay for a monthly plan or not but generally is more expensive but free if it is skype to skype.

Oh, I've never put any money into my Skype account, we just chatted or called eachother on it. It is a drag if she has little access to it. But hey, email works too. My husband and I emailed everyday

My Mum (lives abroad) used to use VoipStamp, don't know if it is still in use. I think my parents now have a voip phone and it is really cheap or free to call both my sister (lives in the US) and me.

I would be more than happy on giving you tips on living in Peru, but I think it's best if you specified around what you need tips on ;-) Just email me through here if there is anything specific you want to know!
Regards,

Argidd
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:45 pm

argidd wrote:
Oh, I've never put any money into my Skype account, we just chatted or called eachother on it. It is a drag if she has little access to it. But hey, email works too. My husband and I emailed everyday

My Mum (lives abroad) used to use VoipStamp, don't know if it is still in use. I think my parents now have a voip phone and it is really cheap or free to call both my sister (lives in the US) and me.

I would be more than happy on giving you tips on living in Peru, but I think it's best if you specified around what you need tips on ;-) Just email me through here if there is anything specific you want to know!

Skype is free of both parties use skype but if someone is in the USA wants to call a Peruvian number you have to add skype credit. I assume your tips for living in Peru were directed towards Riley (it is hard to tell since you quoted me).

I have a linksys pap2 along with two voip lines and it has never gone done in all the time I've been here and works great in the USA. That (or the cisco equivalent) is what I'd suggest for anyone that wants to get their hands dirty with some technology (requires some configuration and voip knowledge but not a lot).
Jeremyth
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Jeremyth » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:58 pm

I used Magic Jack when I was in Peru. You can get it at best buy. This is only 30 a year. You can get unlimited calling to the US from Peru. And they have an international plan to call Peru. You plug it in to your computer, and you dont need a phone. God Bless www.eslteacherintheusa.blogspot.com Jeremy
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:58 pm

I have used 147 for years. I get a 5 sole card and get 40 min to the USA.
Riley620
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Riley620 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:53 pm

Thanks everyone for all the great replies. Can the magic jack call cell phones also?
Riley C
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:33 am

sbaustin wrote:
argidd wrote:

Skype is free of both parties use skype but if someone is in the USA wants to call a Peruvian number you have to add skype credit. I assume your tips for living in Peru were directed towards Riley (it is hard to tell since you quoted me).

I have a linksys pap2 along with two voip lines and it has never gone done in all the time I've been here and works great in the USA. That (or the cisco equivalent) is what I'd suggest for anyone that wants to get their hands dirty with some technology (requires some configuration and voip knowledge but not a lot).

Yes, they were intended for Riley, that is why I used a separate paragraph... no use in writing two posts for one general reply...
Regards,

Argidd
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:24 pm

Vonage World -house and extensions for smartphone
$26 per month - unlimited
$9 for a Peruvian virtual number.

My wife uses it in the US to call Peru and her family calls the Lima number directly to our home in the US The phone rings the house phone and smartphone, so she does not miss a call.

We have Skype and only use it for video calls (Computer).

Some cell phones outside of Lima, Vonage charges, home phones, unlimited from the US.
Riley620
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Riley620 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:40 pm

tupacperu wrote:Vonage World -house and extensions for smartphone

My wife uses it in the US to call Peru and her family calls the Lima number directly to our home in the US The phone rings the house phone and smartphone, so she does not miss a call.

Some cell phones outside of Lima, Vonage charges, home phones, unlimited from the US.

Woah so far thats the best option I have seen. Does that include cell phones in lima?
Riley C
marlia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby marlia » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:26 pm

Hello Riley,

I used Rebtel

http://www.rebtel.com

These are the rates to call USA from Peru (using home phone)

Service Price* $10 gets you
Mobile 1.5¢ /min 667 minutes
Fixed 1.5¢ /min 667 minutes
Fixed Alaska 1.9¢ /min 526 minutes
Mobile Alaska 19.9¢ /min 50 minutes
Fixed Hawaii 2.0¢ /min 500 minutes
SMS 1.0¢ /sms 1000 sms:s
Riley620
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Riley620 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:34 pm

Oh wow either way you look at it calling is expensive in peru. I can't find any unlimited plans anywhere xp. I spent probably 100's of dollars just calling there.
Riley C
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:36 pm

Riley620 wrote:

Woah so far thats the best option I have seen. Does that include cell phones in lima?

It depends on your cell phone number. Telefonica has been running out of cell phone numbers in Lima. Though you are assigned a cell number in LIMA, Telefonica thru the magic of technology, is using number for Tarapoto and other less populated regions. My wife use to call her sisters cell phone in Peru free of charge via Vonage, but when she changed number (her sister in Lima), we started getting charged. I verified this against my phone bill, that the cell phone she had in Lima was a the prefix for number in Tarapoto.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:39 pm

KeepCalling used to be an advertiser on expatperu; I like to see sponsored companies do well.

Philip :roll:
Riley620
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Riley620 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:33 pm

tupacperu wrote:
Riley620 wrote:

It depends on your cell phone number. Telefonica has been running out of cell phone numbers in Lima. Though you are assigned a cell number in LIMA, Telefonica thru the magic of technology, is using number for Tarapoto and other less populated regions. My wife use to call her sisters cell phone in Peru free of charge via Vonage, but when she changed number (her sister in Lima), we started getting charged. I verified this against my phone bill, that the cell phone she had in Lima was a the prefix for number in Tarapoto.

Weird, when I contacted the Vonage agent they said it was only to lanlines and not cell phones. Said 12 cents a minute to cell phones in lima peru.
Riley C

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register