Music!

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Music!

Postby MarcoPE » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:14 pm

mmmm...let's see, where to begin....

Back in the US, I was pretty much a music connoisseur, always up-to-date, though I attended a great many of concerts in the previous life (AC/DC - 9 or 10 times, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, James Taylor, Billy Idol, Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, Megadeath, etc, etc) who I still love, but I also liked newer groups (I'm trying to think of some, but after 3 years in Peru, I can't even think of names). The funny part is, here in Peru, those older groups are some of the only groups I hear. The 14 year old that lives in my building, is a big AC/DC fan....and he seemingly just discovered Megadeath yesterday....and I have the Yo Soy "Beatles" living across the street from me!...poor bastards, but these are all songs/bands I was listening to 15 to 20 years ago .... again, turn on the few english radio stations here, it is like having a time machine back to the 80's and 90's (with a mix of rock and disco)...sadly, there is little to no modern rock music.... (rock just happens to be my preference) but Peru seems so far behind on the music scene. I talk to my sister in the US and she mentions a new band .... I just have to shake my head knowingly and pretend I know what she is talking about!

Experiences, feelings, thoughts....or is it just me?

richiecry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Music!

Postby richiecry » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:48 pm

Mar de Copas is/was an alternative/modern rock about 10 years ago. I would compare them favourably with The Tragically Hip from Canada or REM from the USA. I know they are still around in Peru. Chile has some modern rock bands that are pretty good too--Kudai had a few good tunes (Escapar a is great tune by them. They are on the pop-pier side though I would say)....and of course Argentina has some great bands from the 80s still writing new music. Mmmm...as I write this...I am thinking you might be right....even though I am sure Peru must have some good alternative rock bands...need to find them.

One of my best memories of Peru was my second time there....it was 1999 and my friend (who also was an 80s new wave/alternative fanatic) told me that there are parties that happen in different parts of Lima. They were illegal because they would basically take over an abandoned house and set up a big speaker system and play 80s tunes. I remember hearing this tune by a voice I recognized but did not actually know the tune. I found out later it was City of Night by Rational Youth. What was interesting...is that even though I grew up in Canada and knew the band...I had never heard this song...and here there were all these Peruvians dancing to a song I never knew....was pretty awesome
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:11 am

Don't get me wrong, I like 80's and 90's music but so much has been done since then and the Peru netwrks just don't seem to pick up on it?
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:20 am

MarcoPE wrote:Don't get me wrong, I like 80's and 90's music but so much has been done since then and the Peru netwrks just don't seem to pick up on it?

MarcoPE, great topic.

The music has suffered a sort of backward movement. The 70's and 80's and 90's are the best music of all the eras of the mankind. John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Roxette, Elton John, Moody Blues, Freddy Mercury.. Michael Jackson, etc, etc, etc.. ... the endless list of genius in music was an explosion of creativity .. I know I am forgetting a lot of musicians..

When I was a young boy I still remember the radio playing 2 or 3 new songs per week, incredible but true. Each time I listen those incredible music, my soul fly and the emotions jump to the sky..

Some months ago I was at the house of a friend and his son is about 12 years old. we were on internet, and I showed him groups as Daryl Hall and John Oats, The Cure, The Police, Blondie, Men at Work, Cindie Lauper, A-ha, . Inmediately after he listened the music, he began to love it.

I think radios don't play new music, because there is nothing good to listen. What great groups or musicians exist actually ? I can't listen something really really new to my ears..

The guys of my generation have listened all the music that you have already listened + all the other incredible list of latin-americans musicians as Los Prisioneros, Soda Stereo, La Ley... (rock en español) + salsa + merengue + cumbia + boleros + baladas romanticas + peruvian music..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IRPb1ySiio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMMj1FrRFH4
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:19 am

I think you have to take into account that the "English radio stations" advertise themselves as 80's and 90's. Do you listen to Doble 9? I believe they are still around... I listened to that station back in the 90's and they were always up to speed with music.
About the concerts... well some newer bands don't consider Peru a market for concerts, or it's just that the older bands are less demanding, cheaper, etc? I don't know... But do consider that all the people who go to the ACDC, Morrissey (well, bought tickets); Paul McCartney, etc. probably wanted to see these musicians in their early years, but of course that was implausible!!!! So now that they come, even if they are old and beat up, who cares? It's your teen idol!
Regards,

Argidd
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:14 pm

MarcoPE wrote:mmmm...let's see, where to begin....

Back in the US, I was pretty much a music connoisseur, always up-to-date, though I attended a great many of concerts in the previous life (AC/DC - 9 or 10 times, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, James Taylor, Billy Idol, Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, Megadeath, etc, etc) who I still love, but I also liked newer groups (I'm trying to think of some, but after 3 years in Peru, I can't even think of names). The funny part is, here in Peru, those older groups are some of the only groups I hear. The 14 year old that lives in my building, is a big AC/DC fan....and he seemingly just discovered Megadeath yesterday....and I have the Yo Soy "Beatles" living across the street from me!...poor bastards, but these are all songs/bands I was listening to 15 to 20 years ago .... again, turn on the few english radio stations here, it is like having a time machine back to the 80's and 90's (with a mix of rock and disco)...sadly, there is little to no modern rock music.... (rock just happens to be my preference) but Peru seems so far behind on the music scene. I talk to my sister in the US and she mentions a new band .... I just have to shake my head knowingly and pretend I know what she is talking about!

Experiences, feelings, thoughts....or is it just me?

Music in English...meh... :D I wasn't much of a music lover before I came to Peru but now I love latin music: Peruvian cumbia, reggaeton, merengue, bachata...
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:20 pm

MarcoPE, you may not dig some of them but here's what I listen to nowadays (mostly rock) for what it's worth or if you want to check out new/ish stuff:

ARTIST//GENRE//ALBUM//YEAR//RECOMMENDED TRACKS//REMARKS

Black Sabbath//rock,heavy metal//2013//God is Dead?//Ozzy still has it!

Megadeth//thrash metal//Super Collider//2013//Super Collider;Kingmaker//Not 'Rust in Peace' but I like the new production.

Megadeth//thrash metal//Th1rt3en//2011//Sudden Death;Public Enemy No. 1; Fast Lane//Better then Super Collider

miscellaneous//rock,neoclassical,fusion//Heart of a Hero - Tribute to Jason Becker//all tracks//A smorgasbord of guitar-driven awesomeness; Jason Becker (now suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease) is a true guitar hero, esp. during his Cacophony era with Marty Friedman

Steve Vai//rock//The Story of Light//2012//John the Revelator//The true guitar virtuoso

Kiko Loureiro//neoclassical rock, fusion//Sounds of Innocence//2012//Conflicted;Mãe D'Água//Brazilian neoclassical/fusion guitar master

Kiko Loureiro//neoclassical rock, fusion//No Gravity//2005//Escaping; Dilemma//my favorite KL album; I drool over this

Foo Fighters//modern rock//Wasting Light//2011//Walk//Dave Grohl (former Nirvana drummer) has one of the best vocals nowadays

Paul Gilbert//rock//Fuzz Universe//2010//Fuzz Universe//PG's unique style never bores

Joe Satriani//rock//Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards//2010//Premonition;Dream Song;Pyrrhic Victoria;God Is Crying//The master who makes shredding always relevant; this is my 2nd favorite JS album after 'Not of this Earth'

U2//rock//No Line on the Horizon//2009//Magnificent;Moment of Surrender;No Line on the Horizon//fave album after Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby

System of a Down//neoclassical, hard rock//(all albums)//(all)// Serj Tankian is one of the best musicians of the modern times; also check out his solo album Elect the Dead

My Chemical Romance//modern rock//The Black Parade//2006//(all)//This band is one of the reasons why rock is still very much alive

Metallica//heavy metal, thrash//Death Magnetic//2008//All Nightmare Long;My Apocalypse;The Unforgiven III//It's their attempt to get back to their thrash roots and resonate with their fan base; album's not as great as Master of Puppets or ..And Justice for All, but a lot better than the Load/Reload monstrosity

Audioslave//rock//Audioslave//2002//Audioslave//Like a Stone//Chis Cornell (Soundgarden, best vocals ever) + Rage against the Machine's Tom Morello, what's not to like?

Avanged Sevenfold//heavy metal, neoclassical rock//City of Evil//2005//Beast and the Harlot//Dual guitars reminiscent of Iron Maiden but 10x better

Disturbed//hard rock//The Sickness//2000//Voices; Down with the Sickness;The Game; Stupify//David Draiman's percussive singing style is a welcome change

Dream Theater//progressive rock, hard rock//Images and Words//1992//Another Day;Pull Me Under//not a new album but it's my favorite; I also like their theme album Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory; there's an interesting track off Falling to Infinity called Peruvian Skies

Guns N' Roses//rock//Chinese Democracy//2008//Better,Catcher In The Rye//Distinctively new sound compared to their bluesy rock past; new band members

Slayer//thrash metal//World Painted Blood//2009//World Painted Blood; Hate Worldwide//Jeff's last album before he left this world; also my favorite Slayer album

Other recommended artists (across various genres and eras - I'm sure you know most if not all of them): Angra, 30 Seconds to Mars, Alter Bridge, Buckethead, Cake, Cacophony, Candlebox, Live, Collective Soul, Counting Crows, Van Morrison, Damien Rice, Crosby/Stills/Nash, Dave Matthews Band, David Gray, Dishwalla, Rush, Frank Gambale, The Fray, fun., Gavin DeGraw, Incubus, Jamiroquai, Jason Becker, Jeff Beck, Jim Croce (my all-time fave), John Mayer (Continuum is a great album), Journey (new vocalist), The Killers, Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Linkin Park (2nd best rock vocals, after Chris Cornell), Liquid Tension Experiment (Dream Theater's spin-off), Lynyrd Skynyrd (of course!), Machine Head, Manowar, Iron Maiden (check out the song Starblind from 2010's The Final Frontier album), Marty Friedman (new albums), Matisyahu, Michael Angelo Batio (fastest fingers in the universe), Michael Franks (smooth jazz), Morrisey, Muse (one of the best new bands), Naked (check out Raining on the Sky), The Nixons, No Doubt (check out Tragic Kingdom album), Our Lady Peace (check our Superman's Dead), Papa Roach, Pearl Jam (Yield album), Placebo, The President's of the USA ("It's gonna blow!"), Radiohead (new albums The King of Limbs and In Rainbows), Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers (bassist Flea is crazy good, as you're likely aware of), Santana (Guitar Heaven album), Silverchair, Slipknot, Snow Patrol, Stereophonics, Tantric (I really like this band too), Testament, Train, Trivium (the new Metallica? :roll: ), The Verve, The Wallflowers, Yngwie Malmsteen

I hope you'll find something here that will somehow help you get back on track with your music. :)

"Don't die with the music still in you." - Dr. Wayne Dyer
Last edited by ariel on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:08 pm

ariel wrote:MarcoPE, you may not dig some of them but here's what I listen to nowadays (mostly rock) for what it's worth

Great list ... actually, about 99.9% of those groups you mentioned I have or have had in the past (LPs, casettes, cd's, itunes, etc...)

Reminds me...I had an autographed Master of Puppets LP that I sold (now regret it) before I moved to Peru.

Black Sabbath was one of the first concerts I ever went to (with Tony Iommi, not Ozzy .. I would see Ozzy solo many times later [actually it was before the Ozzy show that I got the autographed LP mentioned above as Metallica was opening])

Fortunately before I moved I copied almost everything I had to hard drive...

ariel wrote:I hope you'll find something here that will somehow help you get back on track with your music.

I was more or less just observing that the music culture here seems a decade (or more) behind the music culture in North America and I assume Europe as well ... For example, I have never heard groups played here on the radio like Staind or Cold, etc... Strangely, I sure seem to hear KC and the Sunshine Band played on the radio quite a bit :lol:
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:00 pm

Great topic and interesting responses so far. Glad to see mention of lesser know artists.

I grew up on rock and branched out as I became introduced to other genres through my guitar teachers. I remember in my teens and twenties knowing everything about what was going on musically whether I liked them or not. Since hitting my mid-thirties I noticed my interest in newer music waning. I wondered whether the quality was indeed going down or if I was just starting to get old and my tastes were ossifying. One thing I've noticed is the change in how we listen to music. In the 70's, everything was analog, warm sounding vinyl, tube amps, the age of the audiophile. The 80's ushered in the era of digital with a colder sound. I like many 80's bands, such as Talking Heads, but any act that was around in the 60's or 70's sounded better to me back then than they did in the 80's. one reason, I believe, is that the sounds of the instruments changed. Gone were the warm sounds of say a Fender Rhodes, only to be replaced by cold sounding digital keyboards. Now we are in an age where the quantity and portability of ones music is more important than the sound quality. I do appreciate that I can have gigs of music on my hard drives and iPod, but it's digital, often compressed, and heard through earbuds, as opposed to the 70's when music was listened to on better quality equipment. I also remember that when a new album was released it was a big deal. That doesn't seem to happen anymore.

For a while I couldn't listen to the music I grew up on and even had a 'no classic rock on the car stereo' rule with my passengers. A few years ago I started re-listening to some of that music. I never was much into metal (though went through a phase where I was into guys like Tony McAlpine and Yngwie - guys with serious chops) but seeing AC/DC (okay, more hard rock than metal) in Mexico City in the mid 90's was one of the best shows I've seen. They love metal in death (Day of the Dead) and revolution obsessed Mexico. Never saw a crowd so into a show. Props to Vai, Satriani, etc. as well, though I don't really listen much anymore.

I am a huge Frank Zappa fan. Not so much of the dirty lyrics variety but his playing and composition. I love the instrumental stuff, be it rock, jazz, classical or some mix of all three. I spent years "on the road," touring with "jam bands" starting with the Grateful Dead and continuing on to Phish and others. For a few years my then girlfriend and I ran a retail business that travelled to various music festivals (bluegrass to Bonnaroo) and I worked in production.

I was a big fan of rock until it started getting 'corporate' and boring. Listen to a lot of jazz which I was introduced to through my dad and various music teachers. "All the best players are in jazz," they'd tell me. Hard-bop, free, a ante, and jazz/fusion are favorite sub-genres.

I also like Latin music, and that is one reason I am glad Marco created this thread - great idea! I guess Santana was my first introduction to Latin-Rock (though I much prefer his early to mid 70's jazz/fusion period). Regaeton honestly doesn't do anything for me at all. I like Café Tacuba from Mexico if anyone is looking for some more alternative sounding Rock en Español. I'm a big fan of Manu Chao and Sgt. Garcia as well. I highly recommend Manu Chao's first solo album 'Clandestino.' I'm also a big fan of Brazillian music. The Tropicalia movement for the 60's is good (Caetano Veloso, Tom Vé, Gal Costa, Milton Nasciemento). One of my current favorites is a band called Os Mutantes who combined the rock of The Beatles (especially Sgt. Pepper and later) with Brazilian music, complete with a prodigy virtuoso guitar player. They've recently reunite after nearly forty years and are worth a listen. Bossa Nova also speaks to me as well as Cuban music.

I'd like to learn more about Peruvian music. Some of the traditional Andean music interests me, but not as a long term option. I like what Afro-Peruvian I've heard so far, but don't know enough to make any recommendations. I like some of what I hear on my combi rides, but not all. I'm open to any suggestions.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:43 pm

One of the greatest band of thrash metal
Pantera
great nineties bands
Rage against the machine
Korn
Godsmack
system of a down
hammerfall
In flames
sepultura
slipknott
iIl nino (the drummer is peruvian)
new bands
between the buried and me
as I lay dying
the devil wears prada
other bands I like
madball
hatebreed
the unseen
new rock bands
Escape the fate (the lead guitar is peruvian)
black veil bride
Suicidal tendencies
if you can connect to pandora radio online it will be helpful
peruvian rock bands
Los saicos from the sixties considered a protopunk band and one of the pioneers of that kind of music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxxKmTFTzQk
laghonia psychedelic band of the 60ties
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuIWzWOAhf0
Traffic sound other peruvian psychedelic band of the sixties
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-stSwWGmnh0
Pax a hard rock and pioneer of heavy metal in southamerica
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b4XbtE4324
Black sugar a great funk band of the 70s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUJXlqpV9yE
Last edited by victmanu on Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:18 pm

other kind of music
Pacifika the singer is a beautiful peruvian girl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1oabHQW ... 2F5B0A84AA
Novalima a peruvian band of afro peruvian chill music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEfl-KNa4Nc
Los destellos a psychedelic cumbia band pioneers of the 60s . You will listen to the sound of santana before he showed up, maybe santana was influenced by Los destellos, who knows.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-_xgHGQJNQ
El Opio a peruvian rock band of the 60s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6iLQrlRVzw
Charlie Parra del riego \ peruvian guitar player was hired by a canadian band Kobra and the lotus last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3LgSMFkAi0
Last edited by victmanu on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:51 pm

ironchefchris wrote:I also like Latin music, and that is one reason I am glad Marco created this thread - great idea! I guess Santana was my first introduction to Latin-Rock (though I much prefer his early to mid 70's jazz/fusion period). Regaeton honestly doesn't do anything for me at all. I like Café Tacuba from Mexico if anyone is looking for some more alternative sounding Rock en Español. I'm a big fan of Manu Chao and Sgt. Garcia as well. I highly recommend Manu Chao's first solo album 'Clandestino.' I'm also a big fan of Brazillian music. The Tropicalia movement for the 60's is good (Caetano Veloso, Tom Vé, Gal Costa, Milton Nasciemento). One of my current favorites is a band called Os Mutantes who combined the rock of The Beatles (especially Sgt. Pepper and later) with Brazilian music, complete with a prodigy virtuoso guitar player. They've recently reunite after nearly forty years and are worth a listen. Bossa Nova also speaks to me as well as Cuban music.

I'd like to learn more about Peruvian music. Some of the traditional Andean music interests me, but not as a long term option. I like what Afro-Peruvian I've heard so far, but don't know enough to make any recommendations. I like some of what I hear on my combi rides, but not all. I'm open to any suggestions.

Peru is a multicultural country and it always was before the Incas. remember we have different regions not only andes and even in the andes there were different ethnic groups , most of them were conquered by the incas.
some of the andean music bands or groups or music players.
Raul garcia zarate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-oFz0DaPsU
Ima sumac her version of a peruvian song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiOraf7Ygcc
the most popular music from Peru El condor pasa
played by the peruvian group espiritu andino
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_gSydN_BYM
a chanka music group Alborada , chankas were from Huancavelica, apurimac they were enemies of the Incas the group is from huancavelica
they make fusion music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZYpGocxxfo
This is a carnavalito from Cajamarca a very funny and machist song played during carnavales
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gQsMfvJKAc
Last edited by victmanu on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:55 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, victmanu. Just the kind of stuff I'm looking for.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:21 pm

great afroperuvian music
susana baca one of the divas of world music like cesarea evora
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq-v6EZ0oTA
Eva ayllon another peruvian diva
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDaYqGB8CjU
Nicomedes Santa cruz a master and a genious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwoV7mstDiU
Lucha Reyes a black peruvian singer of valses who is loved for every peruvian who listened to her music. she died very young of TBC 4 decades ago but still breathtaking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThJPWplemN0
Lucila campos a great afroperuvian singer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO0sK6iQoJI
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:53 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Thanks for the recommendations, victmanu. Just the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

I do not want to Hi jack this thread but music is something I love,
I grew up listening to hard rock and progressive music. Like genesis led by peter gabriel, or king crimson or gentle giant and deep purple and steppenwolf and led zeppelin and after that I was fan of the six pistols and the dead kennedys and black flag and the hardcore epoch of The band bad Brain. But I also used to listen andean and music and afroperuvian music and music from the amazon jungle

this is a band from the amazon jungle tropiuval music or peruvian cumbia from the jungle
Juaneco y su combo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsqbT3y55zw
other great cumbia band from the amazon jungle with psychedelic sound maybe they drank ayahuasca before they played the song
Los mirlos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1xOooGSjYQ
another almost traditional music from the jungle also ecuatorian tribes play similar music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uzgaDPlG7U

these are two master musicians from Ayacucho
Manuelcha Prado playing the guitar and Jaime Guardia playing charango and singing in quechua
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el0QUg6vuEo

Uchpa a blues and rock andean band . they use to sing in quechua language.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TWUo73eVdg
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:16 pm

Hellowin
stratovarius
warmen
dragonforce
Angra
Avantasia
dragonland
nautiluz ( peruvian )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ectj31skPY
nightwish
sirenia
Amaranthe
Therion
Kobra and the lotus
Anthrax
testament
Fear factory
Blessed by a broken heart
underoath
August burns red
For today
Still remains
The agnostics
NOFX
Trivium
Lamb of god
venom
lacuna coil
cannibal corpse
arch of enemy
rob zombie
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:00 pm

peruvian bands of the nineties
Ni voz ni voto ( nu metal )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWkHbeD2ZUo
Dolores delirio ( dark )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ02xqj5f98
zen ( pop )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDxLKV7yH50
2000 peruvian bands
Emergency blanket (indie rock)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir-_-04RAcg
Laguna Pai ( kind of reggae )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WME2P_y6rHw
Last edited by victmanu on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:19 pm

victmanu wrote:peruvian bands of the nineties
Ni voz ni voto ( nu metal )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWkHbeD2ZUo
Dolores delirio ( dark )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI62rLDvOzQ
zen (power pop)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFZrWcrwXLA

2000 peruvian bands
Emergency blanket (indie rock)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir-_-04RAcg
Laguna Pai ( kind of reggae )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WME2P_y6rHw

My vote goes for, Ni vo ni voto (nice video) followed by Emergency blanket.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:20 pm

I don't think your hijacking this thread at all. The more recommendations the better. It'll take me some time to check this all out but I look forward to doing so.

One band I forgot to mention is a German band ( with a Japanese singer) called CAN. I highly recommend 'Tago Mago' from 1972.
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:28 pm

Naturally, I like metal moth, a metal band from the UK.

http://www.reverbnation.com/metalmoth
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:53 pm

La sarita ( fusion )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHFRvI8aEYs
los Mojarras (rock andino) classico of the 90s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5eDaa9b9SY
Los protones ( garage band )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVcLnsurRfM
Narcosis ( punk ) classico of the early 80s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJGd4GmU0I
Mar de copas ( indie pop ) clasico of the late 80s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3LdhT3RZIc
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:14 am

peruvian singers and bands
Danitse ( indie )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0uulND3uqk
Francois peglau ( indie )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAqJZLu9pB4
maria laura y alejandro ( indie )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52-pqd6f81M
kanaku y el tigre( indie )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Km8_EV-yM
Adri vainilla ( kind of cabaret )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKGb--kYxTo
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:48 am

peruvian metal bands
Area 7 (nu metal)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K48Ue6V6w3M
Serial asesino ( nu metal )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGetR_r7cno
M.A.S.A.C.R.E ( heavy metal ) band of the 80s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z6sRit5wsg
Chaska ( folk metal )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-FCdJqJbBY
Yawarheim ( symphonic and folk metal )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaF-KhuI7Tc
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:16 am

Peruvian tenors
Juan Diego Florez
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2HVAL1MRJE
Luis Alva
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xqRx5ggOqs

other peruvian singers
Chabuca Granda ( peruvian vals ) Iconic composer of peruvian criolla music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8T-MbBEpUI
Damaris ( andean fusion )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shag7dvoVXA
Adriana Mezzadri /peruvian brazilian singer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j_wm1Is ... 052F33DBC3
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:07 am

victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:31 am

Andean ballads and other fusions
William Luna from Cusco.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cfY_fOo3a8
Pata amarilla from Huanuco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HobaQ02QBjc
Hermanos Gaitan Castro from Ayacucho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEY-0RULsW8
duo antologia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tqBO-i42Uk
Ocobamba from Apurimac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHwtheAN5as
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:34 am

Thanks ironchef.
other peruvian singers
Pedro suarez vertiz ( pop and ballads)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws8KO3goT48
Gianmarco ( ballads and latin rythms )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfzWgptUf4U
Tania Libertad ( peruvian diva of the world music)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgVAhZSMet4
Pamela Rodriguez (indie , ballads and afroperuvian )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dor-RbuKcc
Tania Cirilo (a young peruvian singer, 16 years old now , valses , ballads. boleros)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z905lK1DuVE
Last edited by victmanu on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:59 pm

victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Last edited by victmanu on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Peruvian ska, reggae and funk bands and singers
Tierra sur ( reggae band of the 80s )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjNFnYLw3Go
La raza (reggae and nu metal of the 90s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qUSxywFizs
La roja funk ( a funk band of the 2000s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLwLuo2OCN8
JAS ( ska band of the 80s )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGnBlhgNlp8
Psicosis ( ska punk band of the 90s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR8RqtlbvHw
Last edited by victmanu on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:30 pm

Peruvian Cumbia/chicha:

Grupo Cinco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTGedKEl0Rs

My favorite Peruvian Cumbia song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNnSkJuYS7M

Another great one by los Hermanos Yaipen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBHSsKYkFc4

Armonia 10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj2-SWhxLNQ

Grupo Nectar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG--MyAQl4E

If you want more let me know, I love Peruvian Cumbia :)
Last edited by KenBE on Wed May 06, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:41 pm

peruvian rock bands of the 50s, 60s. 70s.
Los Millonarios del jazz ( one of the first peruvian rock bands of the 50s )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1hJxbK3jJ0
Los incas modernos ( a peruvian rock band of the 60s, they started in 1961 but their first single was recorded the year 1963)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smaMq5Vp5yY
Los yorks ( this rock band started playing in 1965)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0C1DbpzklA
Tarkus (a peruvian argentinean hard rock band, they started in 1971)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MTKxRr3rzc
Fragil ( progressive band of the 70s )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb_yrqlt7jM
Last edited by victmanu on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:41 pm

I am sorry if I saturated this Thread.
I appologize to all of You but about music I am compulsive.

peruvian rock of the 80s . during that time I loved punk and hardcore and I was part of the underground musical movement of that time in lima,

Autocontrol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As0zUIFzxqI
Danae y los technicolor ( glam rock )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1wFiKOJdV0
Mickey Gonzales
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlNMVvksYY
Voz propia ( dark )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ee1AiOOylQ
Eutanasia ( anarchist punk )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrSaNVG6H8M
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:21 pm

victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:27 pm

peruvian Music from the andes
Edith Ramos (soprano from Puno singing a song composed in XVII century in trujillo, Peru by a spaniards priestor monk , barroco era.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPxojJsdlPQ
Maru y Luna (andean duet the singer is from Cajamarca)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zNRkeZTTKM
Duo Wayra ( from Ayacucho )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZMkz0Jv8fc
Victor manuel ( from Otuzco iin the hughlands of la libertad )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxkW8fivNgI
duo de Abancay ( singing a carnavalito from Apurimac in quechua )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SAGOaNvsTk
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:17 pm

more peruvian bands
Resplandor ( shoegaze )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHo2pnKeUzY
Patricio suarez vertiz ( dance of the 90s )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkDcNs5tgQ0
Immortal technique ( peruvian rapper who grew up in harlem N.Y.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjp8yuEBjxs
rapperschool ( rap )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOZjWeFAYV4
Mafia Peru Dklle ( gangsta rap )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DikB-c9 ... dded#at=16
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:08 pm

Last edited by victmanu on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:10 pm

peruvian musicians
Alex Acuna ( great percussionist , former member of the band weather report )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz-CgF2qmWc
Gabriel Alegria and afroperuvian sextet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjmRpSL8VWs
Jean Pierre Magnet band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt6av3hB8S4
Tribal ( jazz and blues )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rliYVe1Yavs
Pauchi Sasaki
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypgDT3SN6J0
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:25 pm

Mediterranean Sundance by Al di Meola/Paco de Lucia/John Mclaughlin is a masterpiece (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cadbYIzhqQ). That level of musicianship and guitar-playing is difficult to match but I know there are lesser known artists out there for whom mere mortals like me are always on the lookout.

I once bought a CD from street performers in Barcelona and it was one of the best purchases I've ever made. Their names are Adrian Roman and Tiberio Eduardo. Their version of Gipsy Kings' Faraon is out of this world (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGw1UpROUdg). Sueño is also great. I've since been looking for similar artists.

victmanu, do you have any recommendations for rumba flamenca and Spanish flamenco from local artists?
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:21 pm

ariel wrote:victmanu, do you have any recommendations for rumba flamenca and Spanish flamenco from local artists?

I am sorry but I don;t know any peruvian guitarist who play flamenco. I know there are flamenco shows once a month in Lima so I suppose there are guitar players who play flamenco but I will recommend a couple of awesome spaniard bands and a fantastic portuguese music group.

Pata negra (a classico andaluz 70s).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT6StA4NwVc
Ojos de brujo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEahNVY2 ... 1CE509984B
Chambao
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj8aNCtTHW4
Jose el Frances y niña pastori
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEMNJfbFC7w

and the fantastic portuguese group
Madredeus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhxti4nFTdc
Last edited by victmanu on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:46 pm

victmanu wrote:
ariel wrote:victmanu, do you have any recommendations for rumba flamenca and Spanish flamenco from local artists?

I am sorry but I don;t know any peruvian guitarist who play flamenco. I know there are flamenco shows once a month in Lima so I suppose there are guitar players who play flamenco but I will recommend a couple of awesome spaniard bands and a fantastic portuguese music group.

Pata negra (a classico andaluz 70s).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT6StA4NwVc
Ojos de brujo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEahNVY2 ... 1CE509984B
Chambao
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj8aNCtTHW4
Jose el Frances y niña pastori
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEMNJfbFC7w

and the fantastic portuguese group
Madredeus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekIu2vEBXro

Checking now. Thanks!
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:37 pm

You're welcome.
peruvian musicians
Jorge Caballero ( classic guitarist )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22BDPcU2QS4
Juan jose Chuquisengo ( classic pianist )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfq1PMA6dmQ
Javier Echecopar ( barroco guitarrist )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-slXK8C-AQ
Alfredo Muro ( guitarist who plays brazilian music )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfpqYRJONBE
Edgard Valcarcel ( peruvian composer )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qStbOg1zyoU
Last edited by victmanu on Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
28 de julio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 28 de julio » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:26 am

No fans of Perez Prado out there? Unless I missed a post, he's got to be up there with the best of Latin music. Revolutionary in its day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_95-hZwjJM0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfxv_lw2CDw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA6VBp4VT_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_T35xt9iuM
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:41 pm

peruvian salsa, guaguanco and bolero
Anibal Lopez y La unica ( salsa dura, 80s )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4USwgC6Wpc
Laura Mau ( salsa sensual, 90s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWHiP8lhx0s
Antonio Cartagena ( salsa sensual, 90s )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0_ly-Uv3bo
Chaqueta Piaggio ( cuban rythms: bolero, guajira,son, guaguanco, 80s till today )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY6Vkm7SnRA
Luis Barrios ( Boleros, 70s )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzeJQGIIFU0
Last edited by victmanu on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:18 pm

more peruvian rock, metal, chikipunk
Diazepunk ( chikupunk )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8-0RZTrAQ4
Valium ( punk )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qYMwR_bf_4
Por hablar ( nu metal )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_kY6UXNriE
Difonia ( heavy metal and thrash metal )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKSEkOtsPkA
Atomica ( post punk )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_lvkwbMP4Q
Last edited by victmanu on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:46 pm

peruvian rock, pop,indie pop and trova
Pamela Llosa ( rock & roll )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9rRxaJP6hE
Rafo Raez ( rock and blues. 90s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Rv7goQfaM
Daniel F ( trova )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t75ICRJ-v20
Pierina Less ( rock and roll )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhwN-q2ucns
Pamela Rodriguez ( indie pop, pop and peruvian folk)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBcwEJPPc8w
Last edited by victmanu on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:20 pm

peruvian jazz and trova singers
Ellen Burhum and Adriana Mezzadri ( peruvian, brazilian, german and world music)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIPHOSJc ... Nc8JPEeTJs
Carmina Cannavino ( trova and peruvian valses )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsmZZVrEBFw
Miryam Quiñones ( trova )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03CBMF0o8TE
Patricia Saravia ( valses and trova )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iodgimNyQT4
Desire Mandrile ( jazz and soul singer )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRn_UCT- ... imbP51rruE
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:24 am

peruvian doom metal, hardcore , death metal and power metal
La ira de Dios ( doom metal )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slX-VVnV7Mo
Mortem ( death metal 80s )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_4R0l7ExEQ
Black fire ( thrash metal )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFF7lr7fCF0
Guerrilla urbana ( hardcore , early 80s )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOROTvfO-Nc
Nautiluz ( power metal )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ppmv_yH4Mc
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:31 pm

more peruvian metal bands
Orgus ( heavy metal 80s )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqsZZOzG2f0
Necropsya ( Thrash and heavy metal 90s )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww8hPVE6MAc
Epilepsia ( thrash metal )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHVpTdbfTiY
Cobra ( heavy metal )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4137Pqjsv-c
Icarus ( neoclassical metal 90s )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya_ZQWC9TWA
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:50 pm

peruvian singers and musicians
Silvana Kane ( pop and latin folk )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcEFFJEJ8RM
Sara Van ( trova and peruvian folk )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVDB8B311Bo
Christine Audat ( peruvian folk, french folk and trova )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc0Jb-VWt_I
Richard villalon ( trova and peruvian folk )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Ms4zHtISQ
Los negros de miercoles( afroperuvian music )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSP93oHFQbI

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register