Is hard learnng spanish? Does Peru's accent make it easier?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is hard learnng spanish? Does Peru's accent make it easier?

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:06 am

It is 2 question in one thread

My impression is that "learning spanish for someone who speaks english" is harder than "learning english for someone who speaks spanish"..

how hard is learning spanish ?

Does the clearer spanish spoken here, make the learning process a little bit easier ?

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Is hard learnng spanish? Does Peru's accent make it easier?

Postby chi chi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:43 am

It depends from person to person.

I personally don't have any educational qualifications but I speak 5 languages and never attended a course for any of them. I learned them by living in the country where the language is spoken.

Spanish differs a bit from country to country. Just like English. English in the UK is different than the one in the US. Just like Peruvian spanish is different than the one in Spain.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:48 am

One of the reasons I decided to make Peru my first stop in SA was to scrape the rust off my Spanish and make a serious effort at learning the language to elevate it from just getting by to being able to have actual conversations. From what I read on the Internet, Peru and Ecuador are known for having the clearest, most accent free Spanish in Latin America. Arequipa and Cusco are well known as being excellent cities to learn Spanish. I grew up around New York City and had a lot of friends from Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. When I started taking Spanish in school I found it to be of no help when I'd visit my friends' houses where Spanish was spoken super rapidly and with clipped words.

I'd say learning Spanish (Latin) is far easier than learning English (Germanic) which is filled with silent letters, words with more than a single meaning, combinations of letters that produce unexpected sounds, etc..
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:51 am

ironchefchris wrote:From what I read on the Internet, Peru and Ecuador are known for having the clearest, most accent free Spanish in Latin America.

Cuban, Venezuelean, Paraguayan and Bolivian spanish is easy to follow too.
I find that Argentinian Spanish is the hardest one to understand.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:25 am

Add: Many Peruvians (especially females) speak quite softly so I have to strain to hear many, no matter how good the Spanish. It also depends on the educational level your group of friends... some in my group are more the street crowd so use much slang and “lilting”.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:58 pm

ironchefchris wrote:
I'd say learning Spanish (Latin) is far easier than learning English (Germanic) which is filled with silent letters, words with more than a single meaning, combinations of letters that produce unexpected sounds, etc..

Very true. For example, Spanish doesn't have model verbs, which can be very confusing for speakers of Romance languages. For example, there is no literal translation of will or would, etc. Plus Spanish pronunciation is phonetic and therefore more consistent. Think of how you would explain the difference in pronunciation of through and though, or hare, hair, hard, heard, hear, pair, par, pear, far, fair, fir, fire, fare, fear, feel. Although, like English, Spanish can be slurred, and syllables dropped to say things quicker, in general, words don't change as much they do in spoken English when said in a sentence. Just say to yourself "I will ask her". Then think of how you'd say it to a foreigner with limited English and then to a native speaker. To a native speaker, you'd say what say sounds more like Alaska.

And as for Argentinian Spanish being harder, well, it's more that it's just different. It's more common, for example, to use vos for you, rather than tu or usted, which actually was the original Castilian Spanish for tu, vosotros being the plural. A bit like going to an English speaking country and hearing people say thou. Pronunciation is probably the hardest thing, for example, calle becomes more like cache, etc.

But to be honest, some would say that true Castilian Spanish is what's spoken in the Castile region of Spain now, or even the Spanish that's spoken in Spain, so that would mean using vosotros, ceceos and pronouncing your S's like Sean Connery. But does that make it any better than SA Spanish. I don't think so. I don't think anyone with any sense would try and argue that one form of Spanish were better than another.

But remember unlike English, Spanish has the RAE to monitor the language and suggest good practice. In English, there is no such institute, so it makes it that bit harder to suggest whose English grammatical/spelling rules are correct and whose rules aren't. In Spanish, the RAE will tell you. You can disagree with them and it may not be the Spanish spoken on the street, but it's there to protect the Spanish language, offering consistency and clarity. English has no such equivalent. A good linguist could give you much better info than me, but certainly in terms of budget schools and learning clear Castilian Spanish, the Andean countries are hard to beat and the cities of Arequipa and Quito the most popular and cheapest to live in.
Last edited by Sergio Bernales on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:06 pm

windsportinperu wrote:It is 2 question in one thread

My impression is that "learning spanish for someone who speaks english" is harder than "learning english for someone who speaks spanish"..

Does the clearer spanish spoken here, make the learning process a little bit easier ?

I find Peruvian Spanish pretty easy to understand, especially compard to the Spanish of other countries like Puerto Rico or some Colombian dialects. However, there is a difference even within Peru. Some dialects from la Sierra are very different and hard to understand at first.

For me learning Spanish just happened naturally. When I first came to Peru I spoke only a little Spanish. Now my Spanish is pretty good (not perfect). It is about the same as my English (my native language is Dutch (Flemish)).
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:58 pm

By the way, free Spanish lessons, including step by step video sessions, on this website - spanishdict.com
28 de julio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 28 de julio » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:48 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:By the way, free Spanish lessons, including step by step video sessions, on this website - spanishdict.com

duolingo.com also offers free Spanish classes and for those of you who want to improve your English, they also have Free English classes. Much cheaper than Rosetta Stone and if you're here in Peru, you just go out and practise what you've been learning.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:18 pm

I appreciate a lot your points of view, I think that I actually have a better perspective of this 2 languages.

Here some points in favour of english vs spanish...

English has a simplified style of conjugation of verbs.. I think spanish is so complicated in the area of conjugations of verb....

Engilsh is a very practical language. "Tech terms" could be written very easily in english. Spanish is "more romantic", but a less practical language..

In English can be written an idea using less words and for that reason less time than in Spanish. English goes straight to the point..
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm not a linguist, hence no expert on the subject, but I find verbs are easier to conjugate in Spanish than English. For instance - estar/to be:

Estoy - I am
Estas - You are
Esta - He/She/It is
Estamos - We are
Estan - They are

I'm not a big fan of the irregular verbs in Spanish, but it seems to me there are fewer irregularities in Spanish than English. When my Peruana wife speaks English it reminds me of how strange a language it is pronunciation wise (photo, sign, paradigm, etc.). I just wish I grew up in an environment with more than one language as it seems far easier to pick up languages when a child than as an adult. That's one of my criticisms with the US where I grew up. For the most part there's no value placed on learning any language other than English. For me, Spanish was an elective offered in High School, not something learned in the early years.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:58 pm

windsportinperu wrote:I appreciate a lot your points of view, I think that I actually have a better perspective of this 2 languages.

Here some points in favour of english vs spanish...

English has a simplified style of conjugation of verbs.. I think spanish is so complicated in the area of conjugations of verb....

Engilsh is a very practical language. "Tech terms" could be written very easily in english. Spanish is "more romantic", but a less practical language..

In English can be written an idea using less words and for that reason less time than in Spanish. English goes straight to the point..

Superficially English appears easier, but it's not. Sorry, but 100% I'm with Chris on this. Technically, Spanish seems like harder work, but in reality English is. In Spanish, you follow the rules, the pronunciation and Spanish works. Yes, there's more work to do, but it's more logical. In English, the rules are unspoken. Conjugation of Spanish verbs is much easier than in English. It is logical. English isn't and you have to use model verbs, which don't always mean the same thing. For example, a second conditional in English, "I would like to be the boss of the company, but I'm too stupid", using the model verb would is problematic, because would could also be used in the way Spanish speakers use the imperfect. Firstly, think of this: Me gustaria ser el jefe de la empresa. A simple second conditional. However, in English you an use would in a different context and in a different tense. For example, I would go to her house every night in August because I loved her. iba a su casa cada noche porque la amaba. The imperfect in Spanish. Two completely contrary uses of a model verb, which doesn't happen in Spanish. In English the model verbs confuse speakers of romance languages because they don't exist and they can be illogical and contradictory. Only a native speaker or near native speaker can use them well. Perhaps Spanish and English are both difficult to learn for speakers of each language, but it's not I think it's not a question of difficult but more it's just a different mind set. By the way, you don't seem to be a native English speaker, this might be the problem. I'm giving advice for someone who speaks English. If you first language is another, then what I'm saying won't make sense.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:05 am

Spanish in peru is very well spoken. I learend that the hard way after spending some time here then going to chile for a while, man they talk bad there! It was easy for me to learn mostly but i got bad grades in school due to being a thick headed student. Thankfully spanish class continued for many years in the form of surf trips to mexicos baja californa peninsula. They have a somewhat limited vocab. Compared to here but its easy to speak and understand. I notice a difference here in the north and inthe selva also. I like the way they talk better sorry limenos:-)

OP what is your native language, where are you from?
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote: ... In Spanish, you follow the rules, the pronunciation and Spanish works. Yes, there's more work to do, but it's more logical.

Thanks Sergio for your very informative response. , you are very knowledgeable of both languages..
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:33 pm

vivaperusurf wrote:Spanish in peru is very well spoken. I learend that the hard way after spending some time here then going to chile for a while, man they talk bad there!

Yes, chilean aren't as good as they should be when talking spanish..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6O65Gj7Rrs

My native language is spanish and was born in Lima.. so I am a limeño.. but I am "serrano" in my heart.. and "selvatico" in my body ...
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:50 am

I experienced that learning English is harder than Spanish.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:23 pm

windsportinperu wrote:
vivaperusurf wrote:Spanish in peru is very well spoken. I learend that the hard way after spending some time here then going to chile for a while, man they talk bad there!

Yes, chilean aren't as good as they should be when talking spanish..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6O65Gj7Rrs

My native language is spanish and was born in Lima.. so I am a limeño.. but I am "serrano" in my heart.. and "selvatico" in my body ...

Meh, Chilean isn't that bad. I understand most of it. I just think it is funny how they say "po" a lot.

Look at this video though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H_3xTNyCwg

Puerto Rican and Dominican Spanish is like a completely different language.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:04 pm

A question related to learning spanish is still up the air

What is the hardest part of learning spanish ? conjugation of verbs ,. maybe..
28 de julio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 28 de julio » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:45 pm

windsportinperu wrote:A question related to learning spanish is still up the air

What is the hardest part of learning spanish ? conjugation of verbs ,. maybe..

Conjugation of verbs is easy. It's very logical. Probably what's more difficult is the subjunctive, not learning how to conjugate subjunctive verbs, which is easy, but using the subjunctive in the right context as it's almost disappeared from English. Pronunciation can be a problem when there are lots of vowels together.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:53 pm

windsportinperu wrote:It is 2 question in one thread

Have a look at this. I think it really answers your question and doesn't answer both at the same time.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero ... ng-english
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:22 pm

Peru accent doesn't exist , is just a nonsense . An empty phrase or a silly myth, ot maybe the reminiscense of the aristocratic time when peru was a viceroyalty and many people of Lima felt they were descendants of noble spaniards. A stupid joke . I miss when lLma was a quiet and safe city, not the aristocratic sense of many limenos.
. Peru as a country has a lot of accents. Lot of the people from la sierra or the highlands are bilingual and for most of them spanish is their second language, quechua or aymara is their native language. They use to confuse the n gender of the nouns , the conjugation of the verbs like the foreigners do. also their pronunciation different than the pronunciation of the people of the coast or of the amazon jungle.
The accent of the people of the amazon jungled is different than the pronunciation of the people of the central coast. and remember most of the people from Lima are migrants or children of migrants so also the people of the slums have a different pronunciation a different accent and use more slang than the limenos.

I am means Yo soy and also means Yo estoy , To precise when You shoukld use Yo soy or yo estoy is difficult for no native speakers included those who had quechua as a mother tongue. Like when one should use I will , I can, I may in english language for example.

The gender of Mar ( sea) is also different for peruvians and spaniards. We say el mar and spaniards say la mar.
The people from la sierra use to confuse the gender of nouns, for example lot of them will say el flor esta marchito. when it is femenine, la flor esta marchita. For the italian language it is il fiore, masculine.

Also people of the poor neighborhhods use to speak using pe and other slangs and a different tone of their voices, because their rude enviroment almost oblige them to do it. I heard mexicans calling a guy fresa because he spoke good spanish without slang and not emphasizing words like the others. It happens everywhere
Ya pe causita.

something really difficult in the english language is the different sound of the vowels. A vowel will have two, three and maybe four different
sounds and sometimes there are not rules for the use of the different sound.
was, war, wage.
And for me to use phrasal verbs is not easy.
come on ,come on in , come down, come over, come across.
Hang on, hang out, hang around, hang up.
I know for sure what is hangover.
I suppose I have to use a dictionary just like the people do all over.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:40 pm

victmanu wrote:Peru accent doesn't exist , is just a nonsense . An empty phrase or a silly myth, ot maybe the reminiscense of the aristocratic time when peru was a viceroyalty and many people of Lima felt they were descendants of noble spaniards. A stupid joke . I miss when lLma was a quiet and safe city, not the aristocratic sense of many limenos.
. Peru as a country has a lot of accents. Lot of the people from la sierra or the highlands are bilingual and for most of them spanish is their second language, quechua or aymara is their native language. They use to confuse the n gender of the nouns , the conjugation of the verbs like the foreigners do. also their pronunciation different than the pronunciation of the people of the coast or of the amazon jungle.
The accent of the people of the amazon jungled is different than the pronunciation of the people of the central coast. and remember most of the people from Lima are migrants or children of migrants so also the people of the slums have a different pronunciation a different accent and use more slang than the limenos.

Also people of the poor neighborhhods use to speak using pe and other slangs and a different tone of their voices, because their rude enviroment almost oblige them to do it. I heard mexicans calling a guy fresa because he spoke good spanish without slang and not emphasizing words like the others. It happens everywhere
Ya pe causita.

This is so true! Peruvian from la Sierra is completely different! They even use vos like in Argentina (at least in the Northern Sierra)! Their accent is also nothing like Peruvians from la Costa and they use a lot of Quechua words (even though most of the serranos that I met didn't actually speak Quechua).

Peruvian Spanish is also different depending on the class. Upper class pitucos don't speak like poor Peruvians. Also, MEN don't even speak like women! I tend to find men a little harder to understand than women and it is funny how they call eachother huevon all the time. Ya pe weon! :D
WBillSmith

Postby WBillSmith » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:28 am

Cuban, Venezuelean, Paraguayan and Bolivian spanish is easy to follow too.
I find that Argentinian Spanish is the hardest one to understand.[/quote]

Wow, Chi Chi, out of nine Spanish speaking countries that I've visited, Venezuela was the most difficult for me to understand. I had to tell people in immigration to slow down, Spanish is not my first language. For me the easiest Spanish to follow are Ecuadorian and Mexican. Especially Mexicans who take their time when speaking and seem to enunciate every syllable.
Bill Smith

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register