NY Times: As a Boom Slows, Peru Grows Uneasy

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: NY Times: As a Boom Slows, Peru Grows Uneasy

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:35 am

I received this from three other people this morning!
My favorite quote!

We were the prettiest girl in the neighborhood who could get the best boyfriend,” he said. “It seems we’ve passed that moment.
Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Danny55 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:58 am

Great article, thanks for sharing. In confirms my concerns that as an exporter of natural resources Peru could be in for a few tough years ahead.

I really like this line, rings very true :

“We have become used to a sustained period of growth, and we have forgotten about cycles,” said Mr. Castilla, the economic minister.
minos
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby minos » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:40 am

I don't write in English very well, so I have translated the following with Google translator. I hope it's clear.

The U.S. economy is recovering, its Pbi grew at an annual rate of 2.5, but unemployment is still high, the Peruvian government estimated a dollar at 2.72 for 2014, although it is now in 2.8, it seems that the financial system is encouraging the dollars out into the street.

On the other hand, is better than its debt refinacie Peru now, because then interest rates are likely to continue to grow, also it may be better to go into debt in local currency.

The credits for infrastructure will be more hard to get international banking, but fortunately local investors and the Asian market can make us overcome this shortcoming.

In Spain the Pbi shrank to 0.1. well if it took a lot to overcome the recession. , Although Germany and France are coming out of the crisis faster

So domestic demand and unemployment are key components

Conga has done damage to Peru, and now even more increased discontent with the AFP, wanting to get their hands into the pockets of the weak middle class.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register