ESPRESSO BARS/CAFES?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

ESPRESSO BARS/CAFES?

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:35 pm

I just received an email from someone who "assumed" I knew where there were good espresso bars in Lima.
People don't realize that coffee bars (that I do know) & espresso bars - are two (2) different "animals".
Good coffee when ground differently - will make good espresso.

I must admit, I don't know the well-regarded espresso bars in Lima.
Can you assist me in securing this info for an expat coming from Canada; he loves his espresso.
As always, if I can help anyone - with any situation in Peru; I will do my best to advise...

I have suggested that "Stan" check out expatperu; certainly has been a "God-send" for me.
Now, if the very few that use this forum to defame & harass - would use their time more constructively.
Freedom of speech is NOT the freedom to breach the rules of civility & respect (Forum Rule #2).

Enjoy your coffee or espresso,
Philip :roll:

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: ESPRESSO BARS/CAFES?

Postby Alpineprince » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:24 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:People don't realize that coffee bars (that I do know) & espresso bars - are two (2) different "animals".

What are the good coffee bars that don't use expresso in Lima?
28 de julio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 28 de julio » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:01 pm

Alpineprince wrote:
Philipc4u59 wrote:People don't realize that coffee bars (that I do know) & espresso bars - are two (2) different "animals".

What are the good coffee bars that don't use expresso in Lima?

I'd be curious to know, too.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:07 am

Back in the US; we had coffee houses that were "famous" for coffee & just "so-so" for espresso.
Possibly it was the machinery they were using; I have always subscribed to using an Italian unit - for a beverage that they created.

Just trying to steer my Canadian friend in the right direction.
What are the top three (3) espresso cafes in Lima?

Thanks for your help,
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:13 am

I don't understand why people pay so much money for a cup of coffee in those coffee joints.
Just buy a sachet from your local bodega for a few centaves, put it in a cup and poor hot water over it and you have a delicious cup of coffee.

Coffee = coffee. It's all the same.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:42 am

Chi Chi,

Not really; why do some people spend thousands of dollars for champagne from certain parts of France, when regular champagne (even from CA) is very good - BUT NOT EQUAL!

People work "hard" for their money, if they enjoy & want GREAT coffee; it is their privilege & right to pay a premium price for something so enjoyable in life.

"To each - their own",
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:02 am

There is no such thing as Champagne, regular or otherwise, from California. It does not exist. You will never find a bottle labeled Champagne that is from California. By law, Champagne is only produced in the Champagne region of France.

Sergio mentioned this on a coffee thread as to why producers market their product as being Champagne as opposed to being from a "secret location." Same with premium coffee.

But I agree, there is a difference, it's not all marketing, all coffee is not the same, and I am more than willing to pay a premium for premium coffee.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:24 am

Iron,

You are correct; I remember the CA version as being labeled "Champale"; it was OK for me (not a drinker).
As far as COFFEE; this is one of the most pleasurable moments of the day, a nice steaming cup of premium coffee with maybe a pastry. I work long hours, to savor the rewards of outstanding coffee!!!

Glad you brought that to my attention,
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TShadow » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:43 am

I'm also curious where a good coffee shop in Lima is. Having lived in Italy and we all know that their espresso and cappuccino are a national treasure. I've tried a lot of places, but the 'real' taste just is not there.

I have an Italian coffee maker (caffettiera) and I can assure you that the quality of coffee makes the difference. Also how the coffee is roasted is vital for the typical Italian coffee.
Tomasb1

Postby Tomasb1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:06 pm

chi chi wrote:I don't understand why people pay so much money for a cup of coffee in those coffee joints.
Just buy a sachet from your local bodega for a few centaves, put it in a cup and poor hot water over it and you have a delicious cup of coffee.

Coffee = coffee. It's all the same.

Some people, including myself, like to have a cup of coffee at a coffee house or espresso joint because they enjoy the buzz of activity in these places. It is generally a good venue to meet people including locals in your neighborhood.

So enjoy your solo cuppa...
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:25 pm

Have you tried that Italian place (name escapes me) on the NE corner of Angamos Oeste and Elias Aquirre, just South of Huacas?
Bobby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bobby » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:17 pm

I love coffee (pure coffee no lattes and other mixes) and generally am very disapointed what I find in Lima. My favorite places are:
- Manolo's (larco almost Schell in Miraflores)
- Havanna (Miguel Dasso, San Isidro).

BTW, Juan Valdez also offers non expresso coffee (but I really hate to drink good coffee in a paper cup).
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:30 pm

TShadow wrote:I'm also curious where a good coffee shop in Lima is. Having lived in Italy and we all know that their espresso and cappuccino are a national treasure. I've tried a lot of places, but the 'real' taste just is not there.

I have an Italian coffee maker (caffettiera) and I can assure you that the quality of coffee makes the difference. Also how the coffee is roasted is vital for the typical Italian coffee.

yes, roasting methods along with proper handling and storage of coffee, is of utmost importantance to a pleasurable cup of coffee. :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:24 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Have you tried that Italian place (name escapes me) on the NE corner of Angamos Oeste and Elias Aquirre, just South of Huacas?

Gianfranco, by any chance?

Gianfranco (the owner) is an Italian expat, former owner of 4D. I don't go to his place, but I am sure he offers good coffee like Illy or Lavazza.

I still remember the smell combination of ice-cream and coffee when we used to go to 4D when I was about 4. *nostalgic sigh*
Regards,

Argidd
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Agridd,

So now you are twenty-four (24); is that really "nostalgic"?

Be good; I enjoy your posts,
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:05 pm

argidd wrote:
ironchefchris wrote:Have you tried that Italian place (name escapes me) on the NE corner of Angamos Oeste and Elias Aquirre, just South of Huacas?

Gianfranco, by any chance?

Gianfranco (the owner) is an Italian expat, former owner of 4D. I don't go to his place, but I am sure he offers good coffee like Illy or Lavazza.

I still remember the smell combination of ice-cream and coffee when we used to go to 4D when I was about 4. *nostalgic sigh*

Gianfranco's sounds right. Is there a reason you don't go there, Argidd?
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:12 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:Agridd,

So now you are twenty-four (24); is that really "nostalgic"?

Be good; I enjoy your posts,

I'm a bit older than 24.
4d opened in the mid 80's... Not sure where the 24 years old conclusion came from.
Regards,

Argidd
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:57 pm

You are as "old" as you "think"...
Many more years of happiness here in Peru.

PS - your posts have helped me out on many an occasion - thanks

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register