"Sense of humour" in Peru - do you get it ?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

"Sense of humour" in Peru - do you get it ?

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:25 pm

It is a broad question...

Do you get the sense of humor in Peru ?

Spanish could be a barrier to understand the sense of humor, but .. something is not needed to use so many words for getting it.

Jokes among friends, TV programs, written jokes on newspaper.. etc.

The double sense is also a form of "sense of humour"

Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: "Sense of humour" in Peru - do you get it ?

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:56 pm

I always think of Venn diagrams when people talk about cultures sharing a sense of humour. I think there are definitely some core characteristics that we all find funny, while at the same time there are references and things that will only ever be amusing to a person from that culture. In Peru, there are definitely things that we all find funny, but occasionally both sides can find the other's sense of humour baffling.

When you say double sense, do you mean puns or double entendres? Having grown up in a country that produced Benny Hill and the Carry On films, sometimes you can scarcely utter a sentence without accidently or deliberately turning it into a double entendre.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:41 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:I always think of Venn diagrams when people talk about cultures sharing a sense of humour.

Very good analogy.. I haven't seen sense of humour before in that way..

When I was a child, I had the happy opportunity to see Benny Hill .. great comedian and very funny.. Through the TV, I have been exposed to several kinds of sense of humor: The Adams Family, The Munsters, The Gillgans's Island , Alf, Rowan Atkinson, etc.. Also comedians from Latin America as Gordo Porcel and Flaco Olmedo, Chapulin Colorado, and with no doubt the great mexican comedian Cantinflas.. So probably my own sense of humor grow up in different styles from childhood .. Some good memories are now going through my mind and I feel happy for those good moments in front of a TV..

The double sense I mean is both sexual and non-sexual oriented..
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:49 pm

In the 1980s, Benny Hill's sense of humour went strongly out of fashion. It was thought, by the new comedians then, to be old-fashioned, sexist and definitely not politically correct. Politics became very political and dominated by the left. Then things changed again and it became ironic to like these old comedians. And even the comedians from the '80s had a sense of humour about it. Here's one of them who used to make fun of Benny Hill, called Ben Elton, making fun of himself in a sort of reverse Benny Hill sketch. Now, of course, Ben Elton is out of fashion and comedians make fun of him. But I suppose Benny Hill's sense of humour does cross boundaries much more than many others, partly because it's visual, but maybe there's something else. The video below is funny to me, but I don't know if too many of the jokes and cultural references are too localised, as I'm not aware of Peru having had that same sort of shift in cultural values from moving to the left and then moving back to being more liberal, or perhaps it has, but I'm just not aware of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jm8zlLdk7w
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:... called Ben Elton... as I'm not aware of Peru having had that same sort of shift in cultural values from left to right to more liberal.

Hahahaha.. I saw the video, and I noticed the Benny Hill music and style from the first seconds.. It was a great moment to remember those times.. It is for sure funny in Peru..
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:29 pm

I was looking for a Cantinflas video on internet, that could represent his sense of humor - subtitle in english..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2DnsqTt4NM
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:37 pm

windsportinperu wrote:I was looking for a Cantinflas video on internet, that could represent his sense of humor - subtitle in english..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2DnsqTt4NM

I enjoyed that, a nice take on politics.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:02 pm

I ve noticed that peruvians like to make fun of people, in a light way. I am not so identified with that though

for example in the video of Peru Nebraska, cachin the comedian calls the sherif "tony curtis" and "clint eastwood". As "chapas" you know.

Personally I am more inclined to a "Frasier" kind of humor,but that is just me.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:55 am

Hard to answer. I am not fond of slapstick comedy anywhere, so that knocks out 1/2 in Peru, but you do not need the language generally for that. With language jokes I just miss it because of the slang, the laugh over on the punch line, or the fake voices used make it hard as a learner. But I think Peruvians have a better sense of humour than I, certainly they seem to love to laugh. For example, the Just for Laffs (from Canada) played at banks and on airlines is voiceless and Peruvians can laugh a lot harder than I do watching it. But I do wish I could understand the comedy on TV and join in on the hilarity.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:25 am

For me it just depends if it is a cultural joke or one that can be inferred by the words. For instance, we were walking back from lunch passing by a starbucks and a man yelled out, "Mesa redonda entrando Starbucks" and some of the other guys hanging around laughed and swung their heads. I had to ask my wife how mesa redonda equated to a bunch of cute female extranjeras to fully get it.

On the flip side, dry english (as in the language) humour doesn't translate at all. My wife is usually the only person to laugh when I attempt to make a joke in Spanish that would work in English. I usually have to say, "Now is when you laugh" which usually becomes the joke.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:02 am

Benny Hill was my favorite TV program growing up; somewhat raw for that time period - but very creative.
Good posting,

Philip :roll:
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:30 pm

teamoperu wrote: For example, the Just for Laffs (from Canada)

I checked it on youtube, and it very funny.. Saw several videos and laughed a lot for around 1 hour I liked a lot the one video, where an small girl has lost her small white mouse...

That kind of humor is called "bromas" - an argentinian guy Marcelo Tinelli - is well known there. The big difference is the argentinian version is sometimes very rude . It is when the "victim" is spending a bad time..
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:54 pm

Just a factoid: Canada is officially English-French. Just for Laffs is filmed in Quebec so by having no language they can please both English and French speakers without dealing with any both language issues. And hence is also shown in Peru and elsewhere – also no language barriers. They found quite a niche.

Bromas, I'll remember that.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:10 am

I used to enjoy the political satire shows on Radio Programmas Peru (RPP) when I lived there and I find some Peruvian friends I know very funny. When I taught English in Lima I sometimes I had to stop the class because someone in my class said something really funny. But I must admit a lot of comedy on the radio/TV leaves me cold.

I also must admit I don't like Benny Hill. I first visited Peru in 1987. At that time I liked the British comedy shows of Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, The Young Ones... So I get to Peru and the only British show (and I mean the only) on any of the Peruvian TV channels is Benny Hill. Not only that but really badly dubbed over. I thought of all things they could show from my country this is what they like most? And of course lot of people I'd talk to, "England Benny Hill, great!". I know. What a snob I am.

After Benny Hill it was Mr Bean which was a vast improvement.
Tom
28 de julio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 28 de julio » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:53 pm

Big, I like 'em big... big.

I always forget Benny Hill was in the Italian Job. As for his humour, slapping little bald men on the head and being chased by semi-naked women, well, it was certainly unique, but I don't think most people are going to mourn its loss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vsDW1XNnzA

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register