Favorite Upscale Restaurant ?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Favorite Upscale Restaurant ?

Postby sbaustin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:54 am

Every once in a while it is nice to treat oneself to a nice restaurant experience at an upscale establishment. Recently I took my wife to Central for our anniversary and had such a great dinner and experience it jumped up to the top of our list. The bar was nice, service impeccable, food was wonderful, they have an open kitchen which is awesome and the chef/owner came out to wish us a happy anniversary.

I'm curious, what is your favorite upscale dining establishment and why?

argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Favorite Upscale Restaurant ?

Postby argidd » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:09 am

I really like Astrid & Gastón. What I love the most is the variety they offer; you can eat something innovative or a Lomo Saltado. Also, the service is really good. The atmosphere is not too cocky, so it makes you feel comfortable. I’ve been there with friends and on business, and I feel it adapted to the situation to make it a great experience.

You know what… I think I’ll take my husband there for his birthday in a few months!
Regards,

Argidd
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:34 am

Has to be Restaurante Perroquet for me.
Beautiful location, excellent food/service and if you really want to push the boat out for a special occasion you can often book a package and stay over night at the Country Club.
All that coupled with Pisco sours in the Bar Inges next door in my opinion makes it a great choice. Unfortunately, to use one of Chi Chi's favorite adjectives, it's not democratically priced, but like all good things in life.
You get what you pay for.
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:11 pm

La Bistecca for their excellent lomo saltado and chirimoya dessert
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:29 pm

La Rana Verde in La Punta, good food but also for its atmosphere, interesting surroundings, and location on the water. One of the few restaurants right on the water I know (without the La Rosa Náutica overhype). Sorta romantic too.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:58 pm

When we are talking about "upscale restaurants" could you post how much money are we talking about?

I would like to have some idea for my next trip to Peru
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Hitoruna wrote:When we are talking about "upscale restaurants" could you post how much money are we talking about?

I would like to have some idea for my next trip to Peru

i believe that was is referred to as "upscale" restaurant, would be ones that utilize servilletas de tela :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:40 pm

I recommend Manifiesto restaurant. The place is nice with an open kitchen and a good location near to avenida pardo in Miraflores. I heard the chef was a young guy from Tacna and I met some of his relatives in the university long time ago.
He has a fusion cuisine with peruvian food, italian pasta and molecular cuisine. i loved the result maybe the less succesful for me was the appetizer I tried it was pastel de choclo with aji de gallina , the pastel de choclo was like a corn bread but i liked the aji de gallina , And The lamb confit was delicious. My daughter had a dish with salmon vegetables and air of lemmon she liked it a lot. I loved the pistacho ice cream dessert, my daughter had a lucuma ice cream with chocolate. delicious food.
And is pricey but cheaper than Astrid and Gaston.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:01 am

Of course, avoiding being Lima-centric, the Cappuccino just off the plaza and the new Italian Peruvian fusion one on the PanAmerica... in Piura. Matches anything I've been to in Sr Lima.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:55 am

Often we eat at Chalet Venezia. Peruvian-French cuisine. Run by a real French chef.
He also runs the French bakery which sells the best pastries and bread in Tarapoto.

Although a first class restaurant, the prices are democratic.

They close on Sunday and Monday.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:40 am

chi chi wrote:Often we eat at Chalet Venezia. Peruvian-French cuisine. Run by a real French chef.
He also runs the French bakery which sells the best pastries and bread in Tarapoto.

Although a first class restaurant, the prices are democratic.

They close on Sunday and Monday.

Thanks, we will be visiting Tarapoto soon so now we have a place to check out!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:47 am

sbaustin wrote:Thanks, we will be visiting Tarapoto soon so now we have a place to check out!

El Rincon Sureno de las Parrilladas is also an upscale restaurant in Tarapoto. The have the best brochettes in Peru. Prices are democratic too. They give a complimentary appetizer.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:10 am

Carnal Steakhouse on Elias Aguirre in Miraflores.
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:17 am

We enjoy Francescos on the malecon. The ocean view and seafood cuisine is special.
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:36 pm

Yes I agree with ChiChi that Chalet Venezia in Tarapoto indeed is a good restaurant.
Another one, also in Tarapoto is "Cafe del Mundo", a more Italian style restaurant where most of the tables are grouped in and around the inner patio.....
eastvillage.surfer

Postby eastvillage.surfer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:29 pm

Rafael by far. Is the best.!

I have to say all Gaston restaurants are overrated, people here don't mention that La Mar in nyc has been closed last week after two catastrophic years of bad reviews.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:00 am

JanD wrote:Yes I agree with ChiChi that Chalet Venezia in Tarapoto indeed is a good restaurant.
Another one, also in Tarapoto is "Cafe del Mundo", a more Italian style restaurant where most of the tables are grouped in and around the inner patio.....

Cafe Del Mundo is indeed one of the best restaurants in Peru. It's owned by Nicole Felice. He also own La Castilla de Lamas.
We went there last year for the new years eve celebration. A real place to see and to be seen.

The huge castle even has a swimming pool with pool bar.

52.jpg
52.jpg (12.54 KiB) Viewed 5934 times
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:02 pm

You are making me hungry: nice selection - especially in Tarapoto (Chi Chi is the unofficial mayor).
Asked him to refer me to "democratically priced" accommodations; I don't care if he owns the place or not!

Chi Chi should own a tourist agency; he really promotes Tarapoto - for good reason,
Philip :roll:
28 de julio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 28 de julio » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:48 pm

eastvillage.surfer wrote:Rafael by far. Is the best.!

I have to say all Gaston restaurants are overrated, people here don't mention that La Mar in nyc has been closed last week after two catastrophic years of bad reviews.

I think Rafael is a victim of its own success. The last time I went, despite having reserved a table, I was kept waiting for almost half an hour, squeezed into the tiny doorway, with about ten other people, also waiting for tables, as the bar area was full to bursting and they'd clearly overbooked. The food... well, I'd say half of the six dishes we ordered were up to the high standard I expected, truly world class, two were so-so and one was very disappointing. I probably could have forgiven that had I not been kept waiting half an hour in a cramped doorway, getting my shoulder banged every time somebody tried to come in. I'm thinking of trying Symposium for decent Italian food. Anyone had any good experiences there?

Gaston is a hard one to pin down, because he's got his fingers in so many pies that it's no surprise that some of his restaurants are just not up to the standard you'd expect. On the whole, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, as those restaurants that have been bedded down and given time to flourish are still good, but I think he's probably over-reaching himself and it's no surprise to hear that his restaurant in NYC has closed.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:40 am

I like Zig Zag in Arequipa.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:46 pm

Once summer starts, it's nice to go and eat by the sea. Rosa Nautica is very nice, but definitely overpriced. But if you don't mind paying for the location, then it's worth it. Cala is better value and the food's probably nicer than Rosa Nautica. Costa Verde is also consistently good. Great places to go in summer and if you like watching the pennies, there are sometimes offers with Groupon Peru. Although it's not an upscale restaurant, the Rustica on Costa Verde is probably the best of the cheaper places to eat by the sea, especially the lunch buffet. This one's much better than the other branches of the chain, so don't judge it until you try it. Even Mango's in Larco Mar is worth it once the sun comes out. It might be a little on the touristy side, but the food is nice and the location impressive.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:11 pm

ironchefchris wrote:I like Zig Zag in Arequipa.

Zigzag is great. I love the grilled alpaca and ostrich.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:04 pm

prices people prices.... :roll:
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Hitoruna wrote:prices people prices.... :roll:
Most of these places are probably s/50 and up per plate although perhaps in arequipa and tarapoto it might be less. For instance, if you haven't been to astrid y gaston lately, I think their average plate is probably s/75 now.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:18 am

Sergio Bernales wrote:the Rustica on Costa Verde is probably the best of the cheaper places to eat by the sea, especially the lunch buffet. This one's much better than the other branches of the chain, so don't judge it until you try it.

Rustica in Tarapoto is nice too. It's also their biggest restaurant in Peru. It has 3 floors. On the first floor they have a huge nightclub. Open 7 days a week. On the second floor there's the restaurant with a huge terrace overlooking downtown Tarapoto and the mountains and on the third floor they have 2 karaoke bars.

Although, one of the most expensive places in Tarapoto, they are always packed at weekends.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:10 am

I am not impressed with Rusticas in Lima; the décor is nice - but nothing "out of the usual buffet".
Chi Chi, do they allow you to have a "doggie bag" to take home?

PS - seems good for a night spot in the thriving "City of the palms".
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:50 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:I am not impressed with Rusticas in Lima; the décor is nice - but nothing "out of the usual buffet".

If you re-read the post, it says that Rustica on Costa Verde is better than the rest of the chain and is one of the better cheap places to eat on Costa Verde. In general, I wouldn't recommend Rustica as a place to eat, but on Costa Verde, it's better than average. I've never been to the one in Tarapoto, so I can't comment.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:30 am

28 de julio wrote: I'm thinking of trying Symposium for decent Italian food. Anyone had any good experiences there?

Hi 28, we have been to Symposium. I think my Mum's excitement about taking us (my husband and me) was greater than the "greatness" of the food itself. The fact that my Dad did not complain about the pasta was a lot to say... but I honestly don't think it was so amazing, as I was lead to believe it was. I know my parents haven't returned... so that also is a lot to say.
Regards,

Argidd
28 de julio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 28 de julio » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:40 pm

argidd wrote:
28 de julio wrote: I'm thinking of trying Symposium for decent Italian food. Anyone had any good experiences there?

Hi 28, we have been to Symposium. I think my Mum's excitement about taking us (my husband and me) was greater than the "greatness" of the food itself. The fact that my Dad did not complain about the pasta was a lot to say... but I honestly don't think it was so amazing, as I was lead to believe it was. I know my parents haven't returned... so that also is a lot to say.

Thanks Argidd, that's interesting to know. I felt the same way about Rafael. I agree with you on Astrid and Gaston, definitely the best of Gaston's places in Lima, although I think in general the others are pretty good, too, but quite different. I still like Tanta, but my local one is looking a bit frayed these days. Madam Tusan I enjoyed and at the moment Papacho's is a favourite of mine, although I doubt it counts as fine dining.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Sure thing!

A very nice restaurant we found was Miso, at the Radisson (1st block of Av 28 de Julio, Miraflores). The place is not cheap (I'd say about 45 - 55 soles on average per dish), but it is very nice, and has good service. The ambiance is hip low lit, with rays of blue.

Ahhhh time for lunch! 8)
Regards,

Argidd
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:
Philipc4u59 wrote:I am not impressed with Rusticas in Lima; the décor is nice - but nothing "out of the usual buffet".

If you re-read the post, it says that Rustica on Costa Verde is better than the rest of the chain and is one of the better cheap places to eat on Costa Verde. In general, I wouldn't recommend Rustica as a place to eat, but on Costa Verde, it's better than average. I've never been to the one in Tarapoto, so I can't comment.

Agree, the food at Rustica isn't topclass but the decor is nice and the service is for sure second to none.
The nice thing is that the sell chops of 1L. I always order a 1L chop and it brings back memories of Germany.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:41 pm

My sister came from Los Angeles last week and she went with friends to the restaurant Mayta. She told me the food was amazing and the pisco cocktails very creative .
Is not traditional peruvian food if not something called cocina de autor with peruvian products.
It is located in avenida 28 de Julio 1290, Miraflores.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:30 am

Your sister is the second or third person who gives Mayta a great review!
I think I'll cross the via expresa and head out there one of these days.
Regards,

Argidd
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:56 pm

My name is Fortunata Carhuapoma, pies de plomo. I'm a modest serrano girl in polleras and alpargatas.
chante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chante » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:11 pm

In Lima - La Rosa Nautica - I know it's pricey, but it's a tradition to go there when we're in Lima and Punto Azul.

In Arequipa - Montonero - the original, not the ones in the Malls, especially for Sunday lunch with dancers and singers. La Trattoria del Monasterio. For very traditional almuerzo La Nueva Palomino. Sol de Mayo is good, but I think over priced.
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:46 pm

My favorite restaurant is Guru Kabob & Curry.

It is a very small place, but excellent service and awesome food. Pricing is reasonable, about 30 soles per plate if I remember correctly. Not as fancy as Rosanauseous, but MUCH friendlier staff that I have had at any other restaurant in Peru. Decor is very nice, and the place is clean, including the bathrooms. The curry chicken is hard to stop eating. The desserts are wonderful as well.
..A Peruvian once asked me:what's the difference between special and abnormal?.....well my answer was : Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus..
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:41 am

I've eaten at Guru, and I think the food is ok, but it is far from an upscale restaurant (as the subject suggets).
Regards,

Argidd
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:09 pm

argidd wrote:I've eaten at Guru, and I think the food is ok, but it is far from an upscale restaurant (as the subject suggets).

I suppose everyone has their own ideas, the good thing about Guru is that it's one of the few places that you can eat curry in Lima, which to an Englishman living abroad is very important :lol:
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:43 am

sbaustin wrote:Every once in a while it is nice to treat oneself to a nice restaurant experience at an upscale establishment. Recently I took my wife to Central for our anniversary and had such a great dinner and experience it jumped up to the top of our list. The bar was nice, service impeccable, food was wonderful, they have an open kitchen which is awesome and the chef/owner came out to wish us a happy anniversary.

I'm curious, what is your favorite upscale dining establishment and why?

I like La Mar by Gaston it was ok and the cusquena was ice cold. I should have stayed with classic ceviche rather than the sampler with some new creations. I believe it had some tiradito with it too. The Chicharon de pulpo was really good. Lots of Peru TV people eating there I dont recognize them but my wife does its funny.

There is a place in larcomar on the north end up top that has an enclosed dinning room. The Chateaux Briand a la amarillo was great but its off the menu from the chef. All of our groups meals were fantastic and it was decently priced and very well prepared. Only caution would be pina coladas at S./25 but still not bad for the area. The food was cheaper than the drinks its kind of strange. A good place though.

I have always wanted to try wongs but have not made the trip yet. Supposedly the "best" fresh ceviche in town from the local elite but hard to get a seat.
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:45 am

crazytacoperu.com wrote:My favorite restaurant is Guru Kabob & Curry.

It is a very small place, but excellent service and awesome food. Pricing is reasonable, about 30 soles per plate if I remember correctly. Not as fancy as Rosanauseous, but MUCH friendlier staff that I have had at any other restaurant in Peru. Decor is very nice, and the place is clean, including the bathrooms. The curry chicken is hard to stop eating. The desserts are wonderful as well.

Where is this place sounds interesting is it peruvian food of more indian influence??
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:49 am

goalie3443 wrote:
crazytacoperu.com wrote:My favorite restaurant is Guru Kabob & Curry.

Where is this place sounds interesting is it peruvian food of more indian influence??

Jeffe, it is an Indian restaurant. It is on Benavides 3796, on the Eastbound side.
http://www.guruperu.com/
Regards,

Argidd
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:21 pm

panman wrote:
argidd wrote:I've eaten at Guru, and I think the food is ok, but it is far from an upscale restaurant (as the subject suggets).

I suppose everyone has their own ideas, the good thing about Guru is that it's one of the few places that you can eat curry in Lima, which to an Englishman living abroad is very important :lol:

I've eaten there too. The service is excellent but the food is so-so. The average Indian restaurant in the UK serves better food.
I think they can't buy the right ingredients in Peru.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:08 am

chi chi wrote:
panman wrote:

I've eaten there too. The service is excellent but the food is so-so. The average Indian restaurant in the UK serves better food.

Yeah, that's probably true, but they do a relatively good job with what they've got. Compared to the Indian restaurant I went to in Cusco, which despite being run by Indians, was pretty awful, I think Guru is quite good. A few of the dishes like the veg pakora are very good, but the samosas, although tasty, are nothing like the samosas that either Indian friends have made for me, or I've eaten in British curry houses. Still, it's a nice neighbourhood restaurant. I call it a Wednesday night restaurant. It's not splish enough for a special night out, but it's a nice place to wander into on a Wednesday night if you can't be bothered cooking.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:29 am

My favorite is "Cala"...food , ambient, service ..everything is waay better than Rosanoucious :D
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:16 am

Sergio Bernales wrote:
chi chi wrote:
panman wrote:

A few of the dishes like the veg pakora are very good, but the samosas, although tasty, are nothing like the samosas that either Indian friends have made for me, or I've eaten in British curry houses.

The curry I ordered was full of fat and very little meat. The rice was dry.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register