Mistura 2013 Gastronomical Fair

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mistura 2013 Gastronomical Fair

Postby caliguy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:38 am

The once a year fair will be from Sept. 6-15. and will be held at Costa Verde in the district of Magdelena del Mar. see you there :D
http://peru.com/entretenimiento/guia-ov ... cia-150998

every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mistura 2013 Gastronomical Fair

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:16 pm

Will you have a booth? My partner and I would love to sample your coffee and talk!
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Alpineprince wrote:Will you have a booth? My partner and I would love to sample your coffee and talk!

just going as a spectator. will send pm
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:12 pm

a friend is coming from overseas... he wants to go, so I might just
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:27 pm

teamoperu wrote:a friend is coming from overseas... he wants to go, so I might just

cool, maybe i'll see you there. just a word of advice: i went there last year on Sunday, and was extremely crowded. long lines for samples etc....
Last edited by caliguy on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:32 pm

Thanks for the head up.. I will be there too... I want to see the cacao producers among others..
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:27 pm

windsportinperu wrote:Thanks for the head up.. I will be there too... I want to see the cacao producers among others..

last year they were giving out little sachets of cacao beans.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:36 pm

I drive along the costa verde every day, next to what's supposed to be the site for this years Mistura and wonder if it's ever going to be ready in time.
The road's unfinished heading towards Magdelena. The other carriageway is a mess, after very little use it has already undergone reapirs. One of the 4 pedestrian bridges is unfinished, and never will be finished by next week short of divine intervention, and as for the site itself.
Well i'm sure the cosmetics might be in place if they work 24/7 but from what I'm seeing, I envisage utter chaos. In saying that I do hope that I'm wrong for all the people, family members included, that are hoping to attend.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:40 pm

panman wrote:I drive along the costa verde every day, next to what's supposed to be the site for this years Mistura and wonder if it's ever going to be ready in time.
The road's unfinished heading towards Magdelena. The other carriageway is a mess, after very little use it has already undergone reapirs. One of the 4 pedestrian bridges is unfinished, and never will be finished by next week short of divine intervention, and as for the site itself.
Well i'm sure the cosmetics might be in place if they work 24/7 but from what I'm seeing, I envisage utter chaos. In saying that I do hope that I'm wrong for all the people, family members included, that are hoping to attend.

Thanks for the update Panman. in the meantime, i'll check their website for the latest news. Saturday may be the best time to go to avoid anticipated chaos :D
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:47 am

caliguy wrote:
panman wrote:I drive along the costa verde every day, next to what's supposed to be the site for this years Mistura and wonder if it's ever going to be ready in time.

Thanks for the update Panman. in the meantime, i'll check their website for the latest news. Saturday may be the best time to go to avoid anticipated chaos :D

Caliguy, abort the Saturday Plan!!!!!!!! Saturdays are extremely crowded. If you can, go on a weekday! We're not going this year, even though I love Mistura because we could only go on a Saturday afternoon, and it is way too crowded!
Regards,

Argidd
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:17 am

argidd wrote:Caliguy, abort the Saturday Plan!!!!!!!! Saturdays are extremely crowded. If you can, go on a weekday! We're not going this year, even though I love Mistura because we could only go on a Saturday afternoon, and it is way too crowded!

Thanks Argidd! Fiday morning may be the best time to go then. if the week-end was the only option, which would be a better day, Sat or Sun? :D
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:37 am

caliguy wrote:
argidd wrote:Caliguy, abort the Saturday Plan!!!!!!!! Saturdays are extremely crowded. If you can, go on a weekday! We're not going this year, even though I love Mistura because we could only go on a Saturday afternoon, and it is way too crowded!

Thanks Argidd! Fiday morning may be the best time to go then. if the week-end was the only option, which would be a better day, Sat or Sun? :D

If weekend were the only option, I'd do Saturday, first thing in the morning. Leave by 1 PM.
If you and your wife have flex schedules try Wednesday, or Thursday...
Regards,

Argidd
Retired in Lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Retired in Lima » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:39 am

I always wanted to go, but my Peruvian family refuses to wait on line to eat. :lol:
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:46 am

Argidd is right, .. and it is even better going some day between Monday to Thursday.. The less people, the better..

Besides Mistura, is anyone interested in visiting regional fairs inside Peru ?
Last edited by windsportinperu on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:49 am

Retired in Lima wrote:I always wanted to go, but my Peruvian family refuses to wait on line to eat. :lol:

My English husband refuses to pay an entrance fee and pay for food!
Sometimes family gets in the way of comer rico!!! Haha
Regards,

Argidd
marlia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby marlia » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:03 pm

Definitely going :) we choose weekday as soon as my Daughter finished her classes we will take Metropolitano to go there.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:31 pm

Anyone knows the exact route of the Metropolitano?
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:43 pm

argidd wrote:
Retired in Lima wrote:I always wanted to go, but my Peruvian family refuses to wait on line to eat. :lol:

I'm right with your husband on this.
(I was going to use the expression, I'm right behind your husband on this but didn't want people to think I'd joined a queue :lol: )
I refuse to stand in line to pay an entrance fee just to get in, then join another line to buy food which you might not even like. All that after the hassle of getting there.
The only one time I did stand in line was to get into a Bruce Springsteen concert. Now that was worth it :D
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:48 pm

sunflower wrote:Anyone knows the exact route of the Metropolitano?

""Los buses del Metropolitano saldrán desde el día 6 de setiembre a partir de la 10 de la mañana y cada 6 minutos recorrerán la plaza Bolognesi, la avenida Brasil con dirección a la Costa Verde para llegar a Mistura""

The buses will leave from Sept. 6th after 10am. every 6 mintues.. The route is Plaza Bolognesi, Brasil Ave. and then Costa Verde to Mistura..

http://www.americatv.com.pe/portal/noticias/actualidad/buses-del-metropolitano-llegar-n-hasta-la-feria-mistura-2013-en-la-costa-verde-2013

It is better to leave the car at home and take a taki to Brasil Ave.. and wait for the buses.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:56 pm

panman wrote: (I was going to use the expression, I'm right behind your husband on this but didn't want people to think I'd joined a queue :lol: ) :D

Haha.. I am not going to join that queue, I mean those who don't want to go to Mistura 2013..

I use to think the same way as you, Panman.. but Mistura has evolved into something more than going to eat as a restaurant. It is a learning experience about peruvian gastronomy, and you can see in the same place, people with different kind of foods.. "world of coffee", "world of quinua", and so on..

I hope that my expectations will be as good as the real experience in Mistura, if not, I am going to ask my money back.. :)
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:39 pm

argidd wrote:

That's funny. After paying the entrance fee, I thought all the samples would be free as well and was deeply disappointed. You get more free samples in your average Wong. But once you accept you have to pay for everything and, as Argidd say, if you can manage to go on a weekday, Mistura's a lot of fun. You can see them making preparations in Magdalena del Mar if you're driving along the playa. It looks bigger this year. Maybe there might even be some free samples.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:44 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:Maybe there might even be some free samples.

Did I hear ''FREE SAMPLES''? :D
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:59 pm

chi chi wrote:
Sergio Bernales wrote:Maybe there might even be some free samples.

Did I hear ''FREE SAMPLES''? :D

I wouldn't hold your breath, Chi Chi. Still, maybe as the years progress, things might change. If you want free samples, I think you'd be better off going to Wong. You could add that to your money saving tips. Wander round Wong on a Saturday afternoon asking for free samples and there's lunch.
Iski4fun

Postby Iski4fun » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:50 pm

I am new to Peru (2 weeks) and Peruvian food and would like to go before it is over. Someone told me you can buy tickets in adavnce from a booth at Metro? Is that right? I was also having trouble findng the cost? Is it 20 soles to get in? How much for food?

Thanks, Keith
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:03 pm

Iski4fun wrote:I am new to Peru (2 weeks) and Peruvian food and would like to go before it is over. Someone told me you can buy tickets in adavnce from a booth at Metro? Is that right? I was also having trouble findng the cost? Is it 20 soles to get in? How much for food?

Thanks, Keith

you can buy tickets at Metro or at the door as i did. i went on Sunday and paid 25 soles. the food cost is extra when you enter the expo and will vary from stand to stand. the better food will be more costly. keep in mind, Mistura ends this Sunday the 15th. of September. :D
Iski4fun

Postby Iski4fun » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:09 am

Thanks Caliguy. We are going to go today. :D
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:30 pm

I think food is expensive at Mistura because the stands will be rented for a very expensive Price.
I thought of going there but didn't have the time when I was in Lima.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:18 pm

chi chi wrote:I think food is expensive at Mistura because the stands will be rented for a very expensive Price.
I thought of going there but didn't have the time when I was in Lima.

It is fun if you go when it's quieter, but you're right about the prices, Chi Chi. You have to bite the bullet and accept the food's overpriced or it's difficult to really enjoy yourself. My second time was way better than the first time because I knew what to expect and before going I looked into the different stalls and types of food that would be available so I knew what I wanted to try, and of course there were a few nice surprises.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register