Peruvian police did a great job. 2 drugssmugglers busted.

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Peruvian police did a great job. 2 drugssmugglers busted.

Postby chi chi » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:50 am

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... ls-2163013

Who would believe their lies?

They claimed that they were forced into smuggling the drugs. They say that their family will get problems if they don't smuggle the drugs but after they were caught they suddenly begin betraying the ones who they claim forced them to smuggle the drugs.
They said that their passports were taken. How would they travel to Peru without a passport?

If their story was right, they could have escaped numerous times. They passed several airports in Europe before arriving in Lima so they could have informed security at the airport or the crew on the flight that they were forced to travel to Peru and go there to smuggle drugs.
They claimed that guns were put to their head??? Also at the airport whilst passing security, also during the flight. Their story is a complete lie. They should get on top of their sentence for drugsmuggling another sentence for providing false evidence and falsely accusing others.

At the end, they were just a bunch of girls who were too lazy to work and get an honest job but decided to become hardened criminals.
The should get the longest jail sentence possible and put in the worst, filtiest and most dangerous jail in Peru just to use them as an example for the other trash in the world.

And if you at the pictures of them in the link then you see them sitting in the police station laughing and having a lot of fun. Doesn't sound like they went to a terrifying ordeal.

They think that the Peruvian police is a bunch of retarded idiots from a third world country who will believe their nonsense and they think that they will get away with it.

My decision: life imprisonment in an overcrowded and filthy jail without any of parole. Just to use them as an example.

tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peruvian police did a great job. 2 drugssmugglers busted.

Postby tomsax » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:31 am

I feel so annoyed by your post chi chi. I am truely outraged. How can you say such things? This may be your opinion but how can you be so heartless?

You are going to get so many replies about this from people as outraged as I am. The thread will go on an on.
This is going to start a war of words…

NOT
Tom
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:56 am

tomsax wrote:I feel so annoyed by your post chi chi. I am truely outraged. How can you say such things? This may be your opinion but how can you be so heartless?

You are going to get so many replies about this from people as outraged as I am. The thread will go on an on.

NOT

Hi Tom,

I would like to hear (read) what you think about the situation, do you believe they were forced to smuggle the drugs? I was talking to my husband about it the other day, and he mentioned he knew it was a common practice to allow people to consume drugs in these beach resorts like Ibiza, and then make them pay one way or another... If you have no money, the "easiest" way out is to smuggle some drugs back into the country for them.

I'm just curious... please, by no means do I want to stir anything up. If you'd like to share your ideas privately, you can PM me. Thank you!
Regards,

Argidd
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:26 am

Besides the subjetive oppinion we all have about this case (create by the written and TV media) , everyone on every corner of this World has the right to a fair trial

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_a_fair_trial
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TShadow » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:05 am

Whatever is the truth, I'm not certain that you can get a fair trial in Peru.

One thing is for sure, you don't buy 12 kilos of cocaine at the local market and drugs don't get smuggled thru the International Airports by professionals. So something else might be the truth. I'm not sure that the peruvian justice will care too much, they never did with all the other foreigners who tried the same.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:27 am

All drugsmugglers claim that they were forced to smuggle or claim that they don't know how the drugs ended up in their luggage. But all of them are liers.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:15 pm

chi chi wrote:All drugsmugglers claim that they were forced to smuggle or claim that they don't know how the drugs ended up in their luggage. But all of them are liers.

Let's say your taking one of your many trips to a foreign country, leaving from Peru. At some point after you check your bag and it is now in the hands of an airport or airline employee, the tags from your luggage are stolen and placed on luggage containing cocaine. The bag is discovered, you say it is not yours but your luggage tags are clearly on the bag. Does this make you a liar? Guilty? Should you get the longest jail sentence possible and be put in the worst, filtiest and most dangerous jail, just to be used as an example for the other trash in the world?

"The three men arrested allegedly stowed cocaine-stuffed suitcases in the airlines' cargo compartments and sometimes used tags stolen from properly checked luggage, Santiago said."

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financia ... E4MR00.htm

And then there is the case of Schapell Corby, who obviously did not receive anything close to a fair trial. When her attorneys tried to present a defense, the judge shut them down. Further details can be found at the following link, but I thought I'd include this opinion from the former head of operations for the Australian Federal Police's internal investigation unit.

"Corby's lawyers argued that she had no knowledge of the cannabis until customs officials at the airport found it. Her defence centred on the theory that she had become an unwitting drug courier for what was supposed to have been an interstate shipment of drugs between Brisbane and Sydney in Australia– a claim that was later supported when the former head of operations for the Australian Federal Police's internal investigation unit, Ray Cooper, claimed that it was well known within the AFP that some passengers were unwittingly being used to transfer drugs between domestic airports in Australia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schapelle_Corby

I'm not saying the two girls recently caught are innocent, and sure, many smugglers who are guilty profess innocence, but to say that all are guilty and liars deserving of long prison sentences seems reactionary and overly simplistic. Especially when the police themselves contradict your statement.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:08 pm

argidd wrote:
tomsax wrote:I feel so annoyed by your post chi chi. I am truely outraged. How can you say such things? This may be your opinion but how can you be so heartless?

NOT

Hi Tom,

I would like to hear (read) what you think about the situation, do you believe they were forced to smuggle the drugs? I was talking to my husband about it the other day, and he mentioned he knew it was a common practice to allow people to consume drugs in these beach resorts like Ibiza, and then make them pay one way or another... If you have no money, the "easiest" way out is to smuggle some drugs back into the country for them.

I'm just curious... please, by no means do I want to stir anything up. If you'd like to share your ideas privately, you can PM me. Thank you!

If we are going to ignore chichi's efforts to inflame our worse instincts then I will..

I agree with winsportinperu about everyone's right to a fair trial. A fair trial means those making judgement taking a balanced look at far more complete evidence and keeping an open a mind as long as possible before they make rash judgements.

Of course on what I have heard their apparent defence sounds like just what anyone would make up who was caught red handed smuggling drugs. So obviously I am skeptical like so many, but so what? I know virtually nothing about the girls, the details of the case and my judgement is not therefore that important.

I haven't quite worked out in my mind what should be their sentence if found guilty. I am sympathetic to the legalisation of cocaine so for me it is a difficult question.

I think they should get some lenency for being young. Though how much I'm not sure as I know so little about the girls. People do stupid things when they are young and have time to learn to be less stupid.
Tom
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:01 pm

Chichi.. I suggest to read this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presumption_of_innocence

"Anyone is considered innoncence until proven guilty" - XXI Century kind of justice

"Anyone is considered guilty until proven innoncence" - XV Century kind of justice
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:10 pm

Is the Peruvian justice system based on being innocent until proven guilty?
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:48 pm

ironchefchris wrote: And then there is the case of Schapell Corby, who obviously did not receive anything close to a fair trial.

I have seen a couple of videos on youtube about this case. IMHO she is innocent. As far as I can understand, the drugs where put into her luggage before leaving Australia..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9oNxjbq6Tg
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:25 pm

I agree with the OP... he is right, absolutely, unambiguously, completely, utterly and perfectly correct...

“Peruvian police did a great job”!

And now we trust the justice system will do an equally great job and determine if the the busted drug smugglers are guilty of a crime or not... Thats what he said, right?
28 de julio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 28 de julio » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:17 pm

I'm with Tom and WindsportPeru on this one. I think trial by newspaper and internet forum is hardly the way to determine their innocence or guilt. 11 kg of cocaine, I doubt two 19 year old girls did anything more than act as drug mules, for whatever reason, greed or extortion. Assuming they are guilty, what's the point of keeping two stupid young girls in jail at the Peruvian taxpayers' expense for years on end, when the organised crime syndicates that were obviously behind the whole thing continue to go on as before?

Indeed, if we're going to speculate, it's possible the drug cartel may have tipped off a friend in the police. Catching drug smugglers, no matter how stupid, makes the police look good in the eyes of the press and the public. 11 kg of cocaine and two foreigners is a small price to pay to keep everyone happy. It makes the police look good and means that as they pat each other on the back, a little, or a lot, of pressure is taken off the drug producers. Organised crime will just find two other idiots to smuggle drugs and nothing will change and if the police clamp down again, then two more and then two more and then two more and then two more...

Unless you want to get to the root of the problem and educate consumers in the western world about the damage their desire for cocaine is doing to the countries that grow coca (a product that is deeply embedded in the culture of Andean nations) which is easily turned into cocaine, or introduce some form of legislation to allow controlled consumption, the trade will continue indefinitely, more people will die, more people will go to jail and lots of smiley, happy people in clubs across the world will continue to take drugs. Chi Chi, I never knew you were such a reactionary and had such a thirst for vengeance. I hope the authorities are lenient with you for your misdemeanours.
Last edited by 28 de julio on Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
28 de julio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 28 de julio » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:20 pm

teamoperu wrote:I agree with the OP... he is right, absolutely, unambiguously, completely, utterly and perfectly correct...

And now we trust the justice system will do an equally great job and determine if the the busted drug smugglers are guilty of a crime or not... Thats what he said, right?

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic about the OP's comments, but in case I've misread it or it's too subtle for some, apparently sniffer dogs at the airport detected the drugs, so catching Beavis and Butthead with 11 kg of cocaine was hardly the work of Sherlock Holmes. If the police were any good, they'd be putting the drugs gangs and organised crime behind bars instead of two rather easy targets, a pair of stupid young girls. It's like arresting Al Capone's barber and claiming it's a victory in the fight against organised crime.

I'm reminded of The Wire. The police commissioner and many in the force would rather run into the projects, all guns blazing, put a few small-time dealers and their 12 year old hoppers in jail rather than do some real detective work and entrap the organisation. It makes for better headlines, it's quick and easy and tricks the public into thinking something can be done about the problem by focusing public anger on the wrong people, the foot soldiers who can easily be replaced by thousands of other aimless kids.
Last edited by 28 de julio on Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:33 pm

ah, more baiting from the resident troll...
Last edited by MarcoPE on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:17 am

28 de julio wrote:
teamoperu wrote:I agree with the OP... he is right, absolutely, unambiguously, completely, utterly and perfectly correct...

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic about the OP's comments, but in case I've misread it or it's too subtle for some, apparently sniffer dogs at the airport detected the drugs, so catching Beavis and Butthead with 11 kg of cocaine was hardly the work of Sherlock Holmes. If the police were any good, they'd be putting the drugs gangs and organised crime behind bars instead of two rather easy targets, a pair of stupid young girls. It's like arresting Al Capone's barber and claiming it's a victory in the fight against organised crime.

I'm reminded of The Wire. The police commissioner and many in the force would rather run into the projects, all guns blazing, put a few small-time dealers and their 12 year old hoppers in jail rather than do some real detective work and entrap the organisation. It makes for better headlines, it's quick and easy and tricks the public into thinking something can be done about the problem by focusing public anger on the wrong people, the foot soldiers who can easily be replaced by thousands of other aimless kids.

You guess right.
“apparently sniffer dogs at the airport detected the drugs” You know, I have been through departure security like over 100 times and never seen a sniffer dog upstairs there. Yes, I've seen the money sniffing dogs in luggage arrivals, I am sure there is sniffer behind the scenes in checked luggage handling, but never at departure security, so I find the comment confusing. Also the story talks about the girls being told to hide the drugs in their clothes, but then the video shows it hidden in food packets in their carry-on. Just to show you don't really get the story from media reports. But they catch about 250 drug smugglers a year at Lima airport, thats one every day or two, amazing! Think about it next time at the airport – the odds are high they could be catching a drug smuggler that day.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:14 pm

Ouch. First time I've seen a post from Chi Chi that makes Daily Mail readers look like liberals. Get out of bed the wrong side this morning?
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TShadow » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Some more interesting articles. Especially about the possibilities of getting a fair trail in Peru.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/peru-drug-arrests-freed-scot-2242569

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2408164/I-dont-believe-word-say-Drugs-mule-prosecutor-condemns-British-girls---prison-letter-reveals-20-year-old-worried-looks-TV.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Also when looking at the case with the 6 Australians beings accused I have all my doubts about the Peruvian justice.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:48 pm

Interesting to see that after speaking with her, her father thinks she is guilty. If he thought she was not guilty he would never suggest she plead guilty after learning about the prison conditions. Not looking good for her, sadly.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:03 pm

I just wish people could get "high" on something other than DRUGS; many wasted lives...
Young people (especially), need to find the focus in their lives; volunteer, teach, etc - NO DRUGS!
I was fortunate to have spent some 35 years of my life as an athlete, coach, manager; SPORTS saved me!!!

Philip :roll:
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Sports athletes take drugs.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:53 pm

Athletes and drugs go together like Lance Armstrong and Tour de France wins; like 1990's sluggers and home run record holders, etc., etc..

My favorite drugs and sports story is that of Dock Ellis and the no-hitter he pitched while under the influence of LSD. Check out this link to hear the story in his own (very funny) words.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUhSYLRw1 ... vUhSYLRw14
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:44 am

tomsax wrote:I think they should get some lenency for being young. Though how much I'm not sure as I know so little about the girls. People do stupid things when they are young and have time to learn to be less stupid.

Lenency for those criminals? No way. I they get some lenency for being young and get away with only a few years in jail then many more young people will start smuggling drugs.
Why not? Smuggle 11kg of cocaine. And get a only a few years free accomodation, free food, free entertainment, gym and free healthcare. Some of them will probably turn in themselves at the authorities at Jorge Chavez.

If you look at the pictures in the newspapers, you see them laughing. They apparently enjoy being caught. They love the media attention. Whilst other youngsters have to work hard, save money and pay for accomodation, food and transport for themselves and can only afford to stay a few week in Peru, they get it for free and can stay a few years.

Do you know what will happen with them if they got caught with 11 kg of cocaine in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong or Bangkok??? I think that there's enough lenency for such criminals in Peru.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:11 am

chi chi wrote:
tomsax wrote:I think they should get some lenency for being young. Though how much I'm not sure as I know so little about the girls. People do stupid things when they are young and have time to learn to be less stupid.

Lenency for those criminals? No way. I they get some lenency for being young and get away with only a few years in jail then many more young people will start smuggling drugs.
Why not? Smuggle 11kg of cocaine. And get a only a few years free accomodation, free food, free entertainment, gym and free healthcare. Some of them will probably turn in themselves at the authorities at Jorge Chavez.

If you look at the pictures in the newspapers, you see them laughing. They apparently enjoy being caught. They love the media attention. Whilst other youngsters have to work hard, save money and pay for accomodation, food and transport for themselves and can only afford to stay a few week in Peru, they get it for free and can stay a few years.

Do you know what will happen with them if they got caught with 11 kg of cocaine in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong or Bangkok??? I think that there's enough lenency for such criminals in Peru.

Chi Chi, your argument about punishments in Singapore et al is about as convincing as the girls' story about the shady cockney character. If you got caught with a bottle of Heineken in Saudi Arabia, the punishment is similar. It doesn't make it right or wrong. And I didn't know it was forbidden to laugh. They should obviously have their sentence doubled. As for being criminals, the real criminals are the drug barons. They're just tiny pawns in a big game and putting them in jail for years won't deter anyone desperate or greedy enough to make a quick buck. Who was the real villain when the United States prohibited alcohol in the 1930s, Al Capone, or some guy driving across the border with alcohol hidden in his car? Would you say some depression-era worker keen to make some money by smuggling beer from Canada to the United States should be thrown in a dirty jail for years for his heinous crime?

By the way, if they are released, I doubt they will commit the crime again, so what's the point in locking them up? Vengeance isn't exactly a strong argument for punishing their stupidity and is rather out of fashion in modern penal thinking. Even tough old Texas is relaxing its punishment for drug possession and trying to lower its prison population. And deterrence, don't make me laugh - that doesn't work. Always two more desperate or greedy fools keen to break the law to make money. You tighten controls, make examples of them, all that happens is the rewards for smuggling get bigger and more people are attracted, simple law of supply and demand in the labour market. And if they are released early, they will only contribute positively to the European and British economies, by either selling their story to a newspaper, or writing a book about their ordeal, which will then sell many copies, providing the girls with a legal income and the taxman with lots of money to pay welfare to people to like you.

By the way, put in its historical context, cocaine used to be a freely available drugs from pharmacies and boasted such luminaries as Queen Victoria as users. It is still available on prescription and imported legally into many countries. In fact, large segments of the US were regular and legal users of cocaine. Where do you think Coca-Cola got its name? Cocaine was its main ingredient. Now, the company just relies on high doses of caffeine to keep people hooked, a legal drug that has similar properties to cocaine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola

http://forgottenhistoryblog.com/coca-co ... e-cocaine/

The original recipe of Coca-Cola:

"Pemberton called for five ounces of coca leaf per gallon of syrup, a significant dose; in 1891, Candler claimed his formula (altered extensively from Pemberton's original) contained only a tenth of this amount. Coca-Cola once contained an estimated nine milligrams of cocaine per glass. In 1903, it was removed.[54]

After 1904, instead of using fresh leaves, Coca-Cola started using "spent" leaves – the leftovers of the cocaine-extraction process with trace levels of cocaine.Coca-Cola now uses a cocaine-free coca leaf extract prepared at a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey.

In the United States, the Stepan Company is the only manufacturing plant authorized by the Federal Government to import and process the coca plant,[57] which it obtains mainly from Peru and, to a lesser extent, Bolivia. Besides producing the coca flavoring agent for Coca-Cola, the Stepan Company extracts cocaine from the coca leaves, which it sells to Mallinckrodt, a St. Louis, Missouri, pharmaceutical manufacturer that is the only company in the United States licensed to purify cocaine for medicinal use."
richorozco
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richorozco » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:57 am

If you commit a crime (narcotics trafficking is a serious crime in any country....I don't care if it is 3rd world or not), you must pay the consequences!!!

Sure....I feel bad for the mules, but if they are let go or given leniency, then that sets precedent and everybody will want to use the excuse that they were forced to do it....and the drug cartels will look for young innocent girls to play the pawns in this billion-dollar game.

Using the arguments listed above (in other posts), one should let go of all the gang bangers, pimps, and people who rob/kill/sell drugs because they were forced to do it. Forced by their peers.....Forced by their environment since there aren't many jobs and opportunities in the ghettos or poorer parts of a given country.

If there are severe consequences, then it may deter at least a few people to commit these type of crimes....

If it is considered a big joke, then everybody would try there luck and try to smuggle drugs in ....

I truly wonder if people would even be talking about this (as news) if a Latino or African American was in the same circumstance....or would people be saying "lock him up" ..."throw them in a jail and throw away the key".....

If you want to prevent this crime from re-occurring ... and scare other young English or Irish women from doing stuff like this.....then give them severe/harsh punishment to let everybody know that this is not a joking matter.

We need more harsh punishment to make this a better world, and hopefully continually improve, for the benefit of the majority. Think about Lori Berensen (sp?) and the whole terrorist ordeal and how much time she served in prison...that was not a joking matter!!!
rubble
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rubble » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:56 am

Oh the irony.....

The op starts a thread on how to find work in Peru while collecting his welfare check.
Punts Tarapoto as a crime free zone yet fails to mention the 'Texan (?) gringo' he defrauded when he sold his house.
Condems smuggling while openly boasting about bringing back boxes of cigars - oh, but that's ok, as tabacco doesn't kill and it's not like Cuba needs the revenue....

... as anyone seen Alan and Chi Chi in the same room........(one for the conspiracy theorists amongst us!!!)
28 de julio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 28 de julio » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:54 pm

rubble wrote:Oh the irony.....

The op starts a thread on how to find work in Peru while collecting his welfare check.
Punts Tarapoto as a crime free zone yet fails to mention the 'Texan (?) gringo' he defrauded when he sold his house.
Condems smuggling while openly boasting about bringing back boxes of cigars - oh, but that's ok, as tabacco doesn't kill and it's not like Cuba needs the revenue....

... as anyone seen Alan and Chi Chi in the same room........(one for the conspiracy theorists amongst us!!!)

I suppose if Chi Chi didn't exist, you'd have to invent him.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:18 pm

richorozco wrote:If you commit a crime (narcotics trafficking is a serious crime in any country....I don't care if it is 3rd world or not), you must pay the consequences!!!

Using the arguments listed above (in other posts), one should let go of all the gang bangers, pimps, and people who rob/kill/sell drugs because they were forced to do it. Forced by their peers.....Forced by their environment since there aren't many jobs and opportunities in the ghettos or poorer parts of a given country.

If you want to prevent this crime from re-occurring ... and scare other young English or Irish women from doing stuff like this.....then give them severe/harsh punishment to let everybody know that this is not a joke!!!

I am agree. Those two girls should be given the longest jailtime ever in Peruvian history. Just to use them as an example.
11kg of cocaine. How many lives would have been destroyed if they succeeded in their horendous crime. Those 11 kg could have killed many people. The should be punished for trying to murder many people.
28 de julio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 28 de julio » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:31 pm

chi chi wrote:
richorozco wrote:If you commit a crime (narcotics trafficking is a serious crime in any country....I don't care if it is 3rd world or not), you must pay the consequences!!!

If you want to prevent this crime from re-occurring ... and scare other young English or Irish women from doing stuff like this.....then give them severe/harsh punishment to let everybody know that this is not a joke!!!

I am agree. Those two girls should be given the longest jailtime ever in Peruvian history. Just to use them as an example.
11kg of cocaine. How many lives would have been destroyed if they succeeded in their horendous crime. Those 11 kg could have killed many people. The should be punished for trying to murder many people.

I doubt it would have killed anyone. Drugs are mainly dangerous because they're illegal and their purity and constancy isn't measured, so users have no idea what they're taking or how strong it is. They're also often mixed with other substances such as baking soda, talcum powder and even rat poison by the drug cartels. Despite all these dangers of cocaine, it still remains a lot safer than those legal drugs like alcohol and even tobacco.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailycha ... _most_harm
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:46 am

These woman are done, especially because it is high-profile. There were outside lawyers brought into the case which is a slap in the face to Peru. What makes these two so special? 100s of drug mules are in Peruvian Prisons. These are young ignorant party girls, looking for quick money to fuel there lifestyle in Spain. I do not feel sorry for them, even the father of one of the girls requested thaT THEY PLEAD GUILTY.

Chi-Chi is correct in saying many foreigners coming to Peru to buy drugs, think that Peruvians are sub-intelligent. They have probably seen so many scenarios to take drugs out of the country , that this was a no-brainer.

There is so much news on these two that I have stopped checking my news feeds on Peru for a while.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:50 am

windsportinperu wrote:Besides the subjetive oppinion we all have about this case (create by the written and TV media) , everyone on every corner of this World has the right to a fair trial

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_a_fair_trial

In Peru- Guilty until proven innocent.

They got caught with the drugs, they will not just walk away from this free. Did not matter if there were death threats. They will not be going free anytime soon. Best chance is to serve jail time in their own countries, which is a few years out.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:54 am

ironchefchris wrote:
chi chi wrote:All drugsmugglers claim that they were forced to smuggle or claim that they don't know how the drugs ended up in their luggage. But all of them are liers.

Let's say your taking one of your many trips to a foreign country, leaving from Peru. At some point after you check your bag and it is now in the hands of an airport or airline employee, the tags from your luggage are stolen and placed on luggage containing cocaine. The bag is discovered, you say it is not yours but your luggage tags are clearly on the bag. Does this make you a liar? Guilty? Should you get the longest jail sentence possible and be put in the worst, filtiest and most dangerous jail, just to be used as an example for the other trash in the world?

"The three men arrested allegedly stowed cocaine-stuffed suitcases in the airlines' cargo compartments and sometimes used tags stolen from properly checked luggage, Santiago said."

And then there is the case of Schapell Corby, who obviously did not receive anything close to a fair trial. When her attorneys tried to present a defense, the judge shut them down. Further details can be found at the following link, but I thought I'd include this opinion from the former head of operations for the Australian Federal Police's internal investigation unit.

"Corby's lawyers argued that she had no knowledge of the cannabis until customs officials at the airport found it. Her defence centred on the theory that she had become an unwitting drug courier for what was supposed to have been an interstate shipment of drugs between Brisbane and Sydney in Australia– a claim that was later supported when the former head of operations for the Australian Federal Police's internal investigation unit, Ray Cooper, claimed that it was well known within the AFP that some passengers were unwittingly being used to transfer drugs between domestic airports in Australia."

I'm not saying the two girls recently caught are innocent, and sure, many smugglers who are guilty profess innocence, but to say that all are guilty and liars deserving of long prison sentences seems reactionary and overly simplistic. Especially when the police themselves contradict your statement.

Completely different scenarios, The women admit they knowingly had the drugs. Carrying drugs unknowingly is an innocent crime.
28 de julio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 28 de julio » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:28 pm

tupacperu wrote:These woman are done, especially because it is high-profile. There were outside lawyers brought into the case which is a slap in the face to Peru. What makes these two so special? 100s of drug mules are in Peruvian Prisons. These are young ignorant party girls, looking for quick money to fuel there lifestyle in Spain. I do not feel sorry for them, even the father of one of the girls requested thaT THEY PLEAD GUILTY.

Chi-Chi is correct in saying many foreigners coming to Peru to buy drugs, think that Peruvians are sub-intelligent. They have probably seen so many scenarios to take drugs out of the country , that this was a no-brainer.

There is so much news on these two that I have stopped checking my news feeds on Peru for a while.

They never once have they said anything about coming to Peru to smuggle because they think Peruvians are stupid. Peru is the world's biggest producer of cocaine, so that probably has more to do with it.

The father also said they should plead guilty because he wanted to speed up the justice system, so they don't have to spend three years in jail waiting for their trial, not because he thought they were guilty. The father is in the process of demanding help from Spanish and British police authorities to try and track the movements of the girls and to see if there is any CCTV footage of them with third parties in order to establish if there is any truth to their story and if it can be backed up with real evidence.

Their story might seem unlikely to you, in fact to many of us, but justice systems exist for a reason and that is to establish guilt or innocence. Writing uninformed comments on an internet forum about a criminal case, which you have not researched properly is hardly a constructive way to move forward.
Last edited by 28 de julio on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:53 pm

tupacperu wrote:
ironchefchris wrote:

Completely different scenarios, The women admit they knowingly had the drugs. Carrying drugs unknowingly is an innocent crime.

I was commenting more on Chi Chi's comment about anyone smuggling is guilty and a liar. Never said the two girls recently caught were innocent, just provided documented stories were those who have been caught with drugs in their luggage are not always guilty or liars.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:19 pm

I don't think you should be too quick to judge Chi Chi. There was a unknown case of a couple from Britain who were caught smuggling drugs out of Lima airport.

Basically the woman had run up huge debts with her drug and drink habit in the UK and was basically told by her dealer it was either her life or do a drug run from Peru. She agreed to the drug run, she was then told by her dealer that she would have to take a friend so that she would look like a couple on holiday. She started a relationship with a friend who she knew had a crush on her, and then paid for his trip to Peru. They both got busted for the drugs at Lima airport and the guy who didn't know any thing about it spend 5 years in jail in peru while trying to clear his name, he did eventually get released. The woman got 17 years tho.

It's easy to judge this case without the proper facts but also it's extremely easy to judge because i don't think any of us in this forum has ever been threated with death or death of family members unless they do a drug run by major crime bosses. One of the girls actually partied regularly with a know drug gang boss who lost an eye over a turf war.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:51 pm

ironchefchris wrote:I was commenting more on Chi Chi's comment about anyone smuggling is guilty and a liar. Never said the two girls recently caught were innocent, just provided documented stories were those who have been caught with drugs in their luggage are not always guilty or liars.

I am agree that there might be people that got into trouble and innocent. But after some investigation in this case, it sounds that the girls made up their story. They were seen together all the time laughing and seemed to be very relaxed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... spree.html
Timmy69

Postby Timmy69 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:12 pm

I wouldn't wish to comment on the case of the two girls, as it's an on-going investigation, and as yet the full facts are not out in the open and it's often said that too much publicity and ignorant talk can bias a case before it comes to trail, but I thought Silverback's comment was valid. It's all too easy to get involved in something without really knowing the full consequences. I have also seen people on this very webpage asking strangers if they would carry things back to the States for them. We should be wary. No matter how genuine the person is, we should never carry things that aren't ours to foreign countries.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:12 pm

Timmy69 wrote:I have also seen people on this very webpage asking strangers if they would carry things back to the States for them. We should be wary. No matter how genuine the person is, we should never carry things that aren't ours to foreign countries.

Excellent advice. You shouldn't even carry things for other people within the country.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:22 pm

You can see how it is confusing reading the above ("All drugsmugglers (sic)....., "all of them are liers (sic)" with your latest opinion where you state that "there might be people that got into trouble and innocent."

chi chi wrote:
ironchefchris wrote:I was commenting more on Chi Chi's comment about anyone smuggling is guilty and a liar. Never said the two girls recently caught were innocent, just provided documented stories were those who have been caught with drugs in their luggage are not always guilty or liars.

I am agree that there might be people that got into trouble and innocent. But after some investigation in this case, it sounds that the girls made up their story. They were seen together all the time laughing and seemed to be very relaxed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... spree.html

By the way, in this specific case with the two girls, I agree with you. My gut tells me they're guilty, but I have nothing other my gut to base that on and I certainly wouldn't make a blanket statement that all who are charged with smuggling drugs are guilty and liars.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:05 pm

I think one of them has pleaded guilty. And please do not tell me innocent foreigners plead guilty just so they can stay in a Peruvian prison.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:38 pm

The whole drugtrade destroys lives and the environment. Rivers get contaminated and soiled by cocaine production.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:45 am

teamoperu wrote:I think one of them has pleaded guilty. And please do not tell me innocent foreigners plead guilty just so they can stay in a Peruvian prison.

Hi teamoperu, they're apparently pleading guilty for the opposite reasons. Peruvian law allows foreigners who are sentenced to less than seven years in jail to be extradited to their own country to serve out their jail term. So were they to plead guilty, the court case could be speeded up, a judge would hand them a sentence of just under seven years and after sentencing they could return to the UK to a British jail. The Peruvian taxpayer would also be spared the expense of incarcerating them for several years and also using scarce police resources to investigate the case. Regardless of guilt or innocence, looked at from a logical point of view, it made more sense for them to plead guilty now. If they wish to appeal the sentence and have British and Spanish police investigate their stories, they can do this in the UK.

The father of the girl that doesn't look like Boy George was the one that encouraged then to plead guilty and broker a deal with the Peruvian authorities because not only was he worried about how long it would take for the case to come to trail, at least three years, but he also claimed that the police had never taken their story seriously and failed to collect evidence that they claimed corroborated their story. In addition to what he believed was a lack of detective work by the police, he also believed the girls wouldn't get a fair trial and he worried that the whole thing would descend into a media circus and that it was almost a foregone conclusion that court would find them guilty, regardless of whether they are innocent or guilty.

Speaking from her prison cell Melissa, from Glasgow, said: “I am going to admit I was in possession of the drugs and that I went to Peru to pick up drugs to take to Spain. Pleading guilty is going to enable me to get back to my family sooner. I do not want to be in jail until I’m 35 – I can’t get back those years”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pe ... ld-2244891

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... sa-2278503
Last edited by Sergio Bernales on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:56 am

chi chi wrote:The whole drugtrade destroys lives and the environment. Rivers get contaminated and soiled by cocaine production.

True, Chi Chi, and I'm no fan of what the cocaine factories do to the environment, but the illegal gold mines do far more damage to the environment, poisoning ground water and subsequently crops with lead and cyanide, damaging not only the health of people in parts of la selva affected by their illegal and dangerous activities, but causing women to miscarry, babies to be born with serious disabilities and children to grow up with high quantities of lead and cyanide in their blood. And then there's the crime, corruption and murder that accompanies their activities and the lowering of the overall quality of life for everyone affected is a disgrace. Worse yet the Peruvian government is offering to buy gold from these environmental vandals. Now, this is a disgrace.

http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-the-st ... ers-100965
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:17 am

Sergio Bernales wrote:
teamoperu wrote:I think one of them has pleaded guilty. And please do not tell me innocent foreigners plead guilty just so they can stay in a Peruvian prison.

Hi teamoperu, they're apparently pleading guilty for the opposite reasons. Peruvian law allows foreigners who are sentenced to less than seven years in jail to be extradited to their own country to serve out their jail term. So were they to plead guilty, the court case could be speeded up, a judge would hand them a sentence of just under seven years and after sentencing they could return to the UK to a British jail. The Peruvian taxpayer would also be spared the expense of incarcerating them for several years and also using scarce police resources to investigate the case. Regardless of guilt or innocence, looked at from a logical point of view, it made more sense for them to plead guilty now. If they wish to appeal the sentence and have British and Spanish police investigate their stories, they can do this in the UK.

The father of the girl that doesn't look like Boy George was the one that encouraged then to plead guilty and broker a deal with the Peruvian authorities because not only was he worried about how long it would take for the case to come to trail, at least three years, but he also claimed that the police had never taken their story seriously and failed to collect evidence that they claimed corroborated their story. In addition to what he believed was a lack of detective work by the police, he also believed the girls wouldn't get a fair trial and he worried that the whole thing would descend into a media circus and that it was almost a foregone conclusion that court would find them guilty, regardless of whether they are innocent or guilty.

Speaking from her prison cell Melissa, from Glasgow, said: “I am going to admit I was in possession of the drugs and that I went to Peru to pick up drugs to take to Spain. Pleading guilty is going to enable me to get back to my family sooner. I do not want to be in jail until I’m 35 – I can’t get back those years”

Interesting. And I suppose they can still launch an appeal when in prison at home, that would be useful.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:16 am

teamoperu wrote:
Sergio Bernales wrote:

Interesting. And I suppose they can still launch an appeal when in prison at home, that would be useful.

I'd imagine they could, but what's most likely is that, given their age and as it's a first offence, they may be allowed out of prison on probation early, probably within three years, perhaps with electronic tagging. Basically, the justice system will look at them more from the point of view of rehabilitation, likelihood of re-offending and cost to the taxpayer. As it costs something like $50,000 a year to keep someone in jail and they are more likely to become hardened criminals the longer they stay in prison, it will be keen to let them serve a couple of years of their sentence as a warning to others, but more focused on the long term. Like America, the jails are pretty full and they prefer to lock up violent offenders, or people higher up in the drug gangs, rather than seek vengeance on teenage girls, who are unlikely to reoffend.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:39 pm

Phill Collins nephew was caught last year with 40 kilos of cocaine in his vessel. after few months in jail He was allowed to serve time out of prison untill He will be condemned or be declared innocent of all charges. After a month or two the guy tried to escape and was sent to prison again. So maybe this case was a bad precedent for other foreigners in prison. By the way those irish and english girls are linked with Phill Collins nephew clique
http://elcomercio.pe/lima/1395228/notic ... ilos-droga
http://elcomercio.pe/actualidad/1617107 ... oga-europa
zepol96
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby zepol96 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:39 pm

I do not know about police sniffing dogs at the airport in Lima but I can tell you that there is DEA presence in that airport. A few months ago, as I was waiting for a relative to check in for her fllight to Miami, I was enjoying people-watching when I noticed two guys in their 30s (not the peruvian type) backpack on shoulder, pacing and mingling with passenger waiting to check in without making any effort to line up at the check in line of any airline counter. I pointed them to my cousin and he said they are DEA. I did not take his comments seriously at that time. Six months later I'm boarding a flight from Miami to Lima and guess what...I ran into the same two guys just beyond the gate as we were boarding the plane. One of them was selecting passengers (apparently) at random asking to see their passport. It seems to me that the peruvian police may be getting a bit of (discreet) support from US drug agents.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:08 pm

zepol96 wrote:I do not know about police sniffing dogs at the airport in Lima but I can tell you that there is DEA presence in that airport. A few months ago, as I was waiting for a relative to check in for her fllight to Miami, I was enjoying people-watching when I noticed two guys in their 30s (not the peruvian type) backpack on shoulder, pacing and mingling with passenger waiting to check in without making any effort to line up at the check in line of any airline counter. I pointed them to my cousin and he said they are DEA. I did not take his comments seriously at that time. Six months later I'm boarding a flight from Miami to Lima and guess what...I ran into the same two guys just beyond the gate as we were boarding the plane. One of them was selecting passengers (apparently) at random asking to see their passport. It seems to me that the peruvian police may be getting a bit of (discreet) support from US drug agents.

Compare the US embassy in Chile to the one in Peru. Do you know why there is a huge difference in size? Yes... exactly, that's why.
There is also some show on Nat Geo or History that shows the outs and abouts of DEA officers at the airport in Bogota.
Regards,

Argidd
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:07 pm

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:22 pm

ironchefchris wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/26/free-vacation-drug-mule_n_4166263.html

''If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.''

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register