Choquequirao.. The aerial tramway..

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Choquequirao.. The aerial tramway..

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:04 pm

I visited the ruins of Choquequirao in 2002 and was one of the few people who enjoy the opportunity to sleep at the ruins. I was there when there was no entrance ticket and took 5 days for the "4 days trekking". Resting 1 adittional day at the ruins..

Now the government is planning to build an aerial tramway to the ruins, to go across the Apurimac Canyon..

http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-tramway-to-choquequirao-expected-to-ease-machu-picchus-burden-100777

Too bad.. Probably the best name for this could be "visual pollution" ..

tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Choquequirao.. The aerial tramway..

Postby tomsax » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:59 am

Read a little on Chquequirao on the intenet on reading your post.

I envy you having visited it. Sounds like a fantastic trip. You may have had a privileged experience that will now be soon lost forever.

I think the most wonderful thing about visiting these places is the trip itself. I'm sure the ruins are beautiful but they would have been far more beautiful to you after walking there over a period of days. This is what will be lost by an aerial tram.

There are a number of sites where this has happened. Kuelap is another one. I visited there in 1988 and had to climb 1000m to get to it and then slept in a cabin which also doubled as a storage room with bags of ceramic pot fragments under the bed. Now there is a road to its doorsteps and I suppose tourist buses. But then again lots more people can visit and it will have improved the opportunities of local people.

Looking at your site, it's near Abancay which will bring that city on to the tourist circuit.

I'd encourage everyone to visit the diifficult to get to sites that still exist. Luckily there are so many sites in Peru that this will still be possible for while.
Last edited by tomsax on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:34 am

Me too, I am jealous. Sadly I am no longer able to trek very far, so a tramway might be the only way I could see it.

Add to the list Aypate near Ayabaca – Machu Pichu of the north. Hard to get to, maybe on average 4 tourists a day, mostly Peruvian, but they plan to improve the road to make it accessible to the millions. The money is there, they are just squabbling on how to use it (whose pocket to line). When I went it was just me and a couple of researchers there. Free entrance, the bored gatekeeper took me around the extensive site and explained everything. The researchers shared with me some of their unpublished findings and included me on their mailing lists (being a scientist). Maybe one day I can say, I remember when...
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:52 am

I never thought of myself as a lucky guy for visiting the Choquequirao ruins, but now, after the aerial tramway, I think I was a lucky one..

Still exist some others ruins to visit.. If anyone is interested, please let me know..
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:01 am

Many groups, including unesco and other preservation groups as well as many within the ministry of tourism are questioning this idea. It is far from a done deal.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:29 am

americorps wrote:Many groups, including unesco and other preservation groups as well as many within the ministry of tourism are questioning this idea. It is far from a done deal.

It is more than good news.. for me.. I really hope that this bad idea never be a reality.

Part of the experience of Choquequirao is going down to the botton of the Canyon and then up to the ruins..
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:10 am

windsportinperu wrote:
americorps wrote:Many groups, including unesco and other preservation groups as well as many within the ministry of tourism are questioning this idea. It is far from a done deal.

It is more than good news.. for me.. I really hope that this bad idea never be a reality.

Part of the experience of Choquequirao is going down to the botton of the Canyon and then up to the ruins..

I have a friend who's thinking of visiting Peru and is paraplegic.
I think he'd give such plans the thumbs up.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:33 am

Universal Access is am important goal, however, it does not trump environmental impact.

Unesco has spent a lot of money making world treasures more accessible to persons with disabilities, but only when doing so would not create an environmental or historical crisis. Unesco has not declared this project to be an environmental crisis yet, but they have expressed concerned and are asking for studies.

by and large, groups like the UN Committee on the rights of persons with disabilities and the international council on independent living have agreed that they share the goal of universal access, but not at the cost of undue burdon on business nor risks to public health and safety nor significant environmental or historical damage.

I am not saying that this tram will or will not cause such damage, I do not know. However, it must be factored in and there are many in the mix who do believe it will cause such damage.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register