Crime in the News

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Crime in the News

Postby sbaustin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:06 pm

http://elcomercio.pe/actualidad/1625747 ... a-victoria

It looks like an American was assassinated in La Victoria. I surely hope caliguy is ok if I recall he lives in La Victoria. Everytime I watch the news here on TV it really saddens me.

argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Crime in the News

Postby argidd » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:11 pm

I heard of it on RPP and thought the same thing!
Regards,

Argidd
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:16 pm

sbaustin wrote:http://elcomercio.pe/actualidad/1625747/noticia-norteamericano-fue-asesinado-cerca-su-casa-victoria

It looks like an American was assassinated in La Victoria. I surely hope caliguy is ok if I recall he lives in La Victoria. Everytime I watch the news here on TV it really saddens me.

I haven't read the story, nor do I intend to, like you I find the whole situation depressing.
I'd like to bet though, if it is an assassination, that there are drugs involved.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:20 pm

The news article just says a 35 year old male was robbed and shot twice when he left to go shopping.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:26 pm

panman wrote:I haven't read the story, nor do I intend to, like you I find the whole situation depressing.
I'd like to bet though, if it is an assassination, that there are drugs involved.

Or he had a debt with some criminals.
It sounds like they were waiting for him went he left his home.

I am sure it's not just a backpacker or other tourist that was wandering trough La Victoria and got robbed and shot. Those were professionals, robably hired by someone. Not just a bunch of pickpocketers.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:34 pm

sbaustin wrote:http://elcomercio.pe/actualidad/1625747/noticia-norteamericano-fue-asesinado-cerca-su-casa-victoria

all is well here! thanks Sbaustin & Argidd. I did a little more research and found the name of the deceased is Christopher Weil Caver. age 35. i guess it was a good idea of putting my location beneath my profile pic!
Last edited by caliguy on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:00 pm

they intended to steal his belongings, he resisted, and was shot twice.
keep this as a reminder: let them take your belongings
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:06 pm

Sad news . condolences to the family for their loss.
chi chi You really act like a vulture.
This american who was assasinated just came to Peru to live with the family of his wife.
He was coming back from a market or supermarket in La Victoria and resisted an assault and the criminals shot him two times.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Very sad.. and yes, we shouldn´t be too quick to judge and jump to conclusions.

It occurs to me that this network of ours could serve to help family members who are coming in to deal with this kind of tragedy. Poor parents would just be lost here.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:39 pm

Nice thought. I'm willing. I would assume we could contact the US embassy, they will be the direct contact and could relay any message or action to the family at the appropriate time.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:28 pm

Alan wrote:Very sad.. and yes, we shouldn´t be too quick to judge and jump to conclusions.

Perhaps we shouldn't be using the word assassinate as it drums up the wrong ideas.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:30 am

victmanu wrote:This american who was assasinated just came to Peru to live with the family of his wife.
He was coming back from a market or supermarket in La Victoria and resisted an assault and the criminals shot him two times.

It sounds like a random attack then. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Still, a serious attack just to rob someone. They must have been drugaddicts that were desperate for some money to buy drugs.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:16 pm

chi chi wrote:
victmanu wrote:This american who was assasinated just came to Peru to live with the family of his wife.

It sounds like a random attack then. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Still, a serious attack just to rob someone. They must have been drugaddicts that were desperate for some money to buy drugs.

A lot of choros are drug addicts. He probably refused to give them what they wanted and they shot him.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:35 pm

Now it's just hoping that they find those criminals because if they get away with it, they will do it again.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:35 pm

chi chi wrote:
panman wrote:I haven't read the story, nor do I intend to, like you I find the whole situation depressing.

Or he had a debt with some criminals.
It sounds like they were waiting for him went he left his home.

I am sure it's not just a backpacker or other tourist that was wandering trough La Victoria and got robbed and shot. Those were professionals, robably hired by someone. Not just a bunch of pickpocketers.

what is wrong with you to think this was reasonable to add to the community?

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register