Renouncing US Citizenship at record high.

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Renouncing US Citizenship at record high.

Postby americorps » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Very few renounce their citizenship for political reasons. the number is negligable. most renounce for tax reasons with work reasons coming in a distant second.

What is interesting about this is that while still trending for the most wealthy, there is a growing number from the moderate income groups. It appears that some of this may be due to the tax burdon, but more are complaining about the red tape.

I think the impending doom of the us is greatly exagerated and mostly repeated by extemists who are sparing in their use of facts, but still, this is an interesting trend.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/04/news/ci ... d=obinsite

simperu2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Renouncing US Citizenship at record high.

Postby simperu2012 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:57 pm

Let them go. There's hundreds of thousands that want a legal chance to go to America and establish themselves. The people that do this usually are well established abroad, so it won't affect them. I say for every one that leaves, we should open the door for a productive citizen of another country to become naturalized and begin contributing to American society. Very interesting article.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:18 pm

sort of the simple answer, isn´t it.

Why can it not be a moment for the US to reflect on our policies and see if there is a way to balance serving our citizens. Just becuase we do it, does not make it rigth. Just because we do it, also does not make it wrong, but we should be able to look at ourslves instead of just say thats the way it is, like it or leave.

In fact, if we did that, we would have failed as a nation long ago.
simperu2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby simperu2012 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:39 pm

You make a good point. You can't please everyone, though. Even with ideal conditions back home, I still knew many people who packed their bags to countries like Belize or Mexico...for good. Like I stated earlier, if someone turns in their passport, they more than likely have reliable income abroad, have established themselves in another country, and saw no further use for their U.S. citizenship. Do we really want those people here anyway? Instead of voting and taking other measures here at home to better the situation, they leave. Not just leave, they renounce their citizenship. If someone is willing to do that, no government policy will change it, so it's best that they go. Those that come to the U.S. legally, learn English, and want the best for America are those that help us make it a better place to be. And work as perfect replacements. Just my two cents.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register