Expat Stages

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Expat Stages

Postby sbaustin » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:13 am

I wrote a kind of satirical post on a blog where I was writing in Spanish and came up with the 7 stages of being an expat. It might be fun to chat about these, where you might fall, and/or if you agree with the stages/definitions or to define new ones.

Excitement: Honeymoon stage, everything is new, fun, exciting and is an adventure

Annoyance: Honeymoon is over and the reality of life hits you. You start noticing all of the little annoyances that were hidden when you were in adventure mode.

Elitism: You think that "your way" or what "your country" does is the best and you readily share this with everyone trying to fix all your annoyances.

Frustration: You realize that nobody listens to your elitist rants and the annoyances have built up to a boiling point.

Abandonment: You are browsing all the major airlines websites as now you are at the point of making plans to leave due to the issues and frustrations you have had. You can't fix them, the locals won't adopt your way, and drinking beer every night only gets you a hangover in the morning.

Understanding: You decided to stay and have started to understand your newly adopted country and some of the differences. They don't bother you as much and you can embrace them and see more of the beautiful parts.

Acceptance: You have become a local (in your thought process) and your attitude.

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Expat Stages

Postby caliguy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:08 am

believe i'm on the tail end of stage 5 :lol:
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:22 am

I would add somewhere around there...

You believe you know everything there is to know about your new home's culture, but the locals still tell you you know squat.

:lol:
Regards,

Argidd
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:25 am

argidd wrote:I would add somewhere around there...

You believe you know everything there is to know about your new home's culture, but the locals still tell you you know squat.

:lol:

Unfortunately the latter part is true no matter the stage! For any Peruvians on the board, any suggestions on helping us overcome some of our issues?!?!
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:57 am

caliguy wrote:believe i'm on the tail end of stage 5 :lol:

First, this is nothing new, just google and you'll find refernces all over the internet to culture shock and "The U Curve of Cultural Adaptation"
If you're stuck at the tail end of stage 5, in sbaustins version of the curve, then don't worry you're almost there or should I say here?
As for drinking beer every night and only getting a hangover in the morning the solution is simple. Try drinking beer in the morning. Sobriety is the only cause of hangovers, if you can avoid this state your problem will be solved.
Welcome to Peru :lol:
Bobby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bobby » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:09 am

sbaustin wrote:I wrote a kind of satirical post on a blog where I was writing in Spanish and came up with the 7 stages of being an expat. It might be fun to chat about these, where you might fall, and/or if you agree with the stages/definitions or to define new ones.

Excitement: Honeymoon stage, everything is new, fun, exciting and is an adventure

Annoyance: Honeymoon is over and the reality of life hits you. You start noticing all of the little annoyances that were hidden when you were in adventure mode.

Elitism: You think that "your way" or what "your country" does is the best and you readily share this with everyone trying to fix all your annoyances.

Frustration: You realize that nobody listens to your elitist rants and the annoyances have built up to a boiling point.

Abandonment: You are browsing all the major airlines websites as now you are at the point of making plans to leave due to the issues and frustrations you have had. You can't fix them, the locals won't adopt your way, and drinking beer every night only gets you a hangover in the morning.

Understanding: You decided to stay and have started to understand your newly adopted country and some of the differences. They don't bother you as much and you can embrace them and see more of the beautiful parts.

Acceptance: You have become a local (in your thought process) and your attitude.

Excellent analysis! It looks like a non linear Maslow motivational pyramid, LOL
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:34 pm

panman wrote:
First, this is nothing new, just google and you'll find refernces all over the internet to culture shock and "The U Curve of Cultural Adaptation"
If you're stuck at the tail end of stage 5, in sbaustins version of the curve, then don't worry you're almost there or should I say here?
As for drinking beer every night and only getting a hangover in the morning the solution is simple. Try drinking beer in the morning. Sobriety is the only cause of hangovers, if you can avoid this state your problem will be solved.
Welcome to Peru :lol:

Interesting about the U Curve of Cultural Adaption, I had never heard of it before, thanks for sharing it. I had originally written mine as a satirical piece but am glad that it kind of mirrors something official.

After a little googling:

It is called a "U Curve" because people generally start at a high point, then experience a decline, or depression, before a leveling off period, then go through a critical "recovery" stage and end up more or less balanced, where they began.

Their stages are:

The Honeymoon Stage
The Conflict Stage
The Critical Stage
The Recovery Stage

http://ww2.odu.edu/ao/oip/studyabroad/r ... stment.pdf
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Interesting posts, everyone, thanks for sharing.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:55 pm

A thought came to mind...

How do you think your going through the stages affects your children? Do the expats married/partnered with Peruvians feel that their children evolve differently to other children in the same environment?
Regards,

Argidd
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:14 pm

argidd wrote:A thought came to mind...

How do you think your going through the stages affects your children? Do the expats married/partnered with Peruvians feel that their children evolve differently to other children in the same environment?

Of course you evolve differently, or maybe the right word might be that you devolve a lot.

There is a Peruvian named Michael Palomino that has published several studies online about this.

http://www.am-sur.com/am-sur/peru/racis ... -ENGL.html

http://www.am-sur.com/am-sur/peru-index.html

Unfortunately many of his texts have been removed by Peruvian hackers (the truth hurts a lot).

Just one simple example, I did not have access to a decent library until I moved to the states
in 2001; I am pretty sure that if I had access to a library since my childhood Peru would have
gained either an entrepreneur, politician, writer or leader of industry that would have imposed
proper and civilized living within his area of influence. Peru is losing that in thousands of people
that end up in the worthless weekend parties were millions of dollars are wasted in vomits and
destroyed toilets.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:27 pm

Ha Ha Ha. Great post.

sbaustin wrote:drinking beer every night only gets you a hangover in the morning.

Drink 7raices instead. It only costs 1 sol a shot, gets you drunk after less than 5 shots and you won't have a hangover the next day.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:28 pm

chi chi wrote:Ha Ha Ha. Great post.

sbaustin wrote:drinking beer every night only gets you a hangover in the morning.

Drink 7raices instead. It only costs 1 sol a shot, gets you drunk after less than 5 shots and you won't have a hangover the next day.

Good advice for the complainers.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:33 pm

I seem to be stuck in the honeymoon stage. 8) I've flirted with the other stages but revert back to the honeymoon. I'm adverse to linear progressions.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:40 pm

panman wrote:If you're stuck at the tail end of stage 5, in sbaustins version of the curve, then don't worry you're almost there or should I say here?

i don't live in Peru per se. i fear on my next trip back to Los Angeles (soon approaching) that i will have to do the adaptation process again. hopefully jumping quickly to stage 6, "understanding". :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:47 pm

Went straight from1 to 6 then repeat it over and over again 1 directly to 6. I look at life as an adventure, and am always ready for change. I have lived in bad neighborhoods in my life, also camped in the desert at 120 degrees and in the freezing cold. I guess being disadvantages in early life has it's advantages when dealing with change. My wife's family calls me crazy, cause I am down for almost anything. First year in Lima, apt no hot water or heat, long lines in banks or public places. Learning to adapt is the adventure. My wife and I had our flight cancelled from Lima, we slept in a hallway , a duffle bag for a pillow, we laugh at difficult times, we call these times adventures.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:53 pm

caliguy wrote:
panman wrote:If you're stuck at the tail end of stage 5, in sbaustins version of the curve, then don't worry you're almost there or should I say here?

i don't live in Peru per se. i fear on my next trip back to Los Angeles (soon approaching) that i will have to do the adaptation process again. hopefully jumping quickly to stage 6, "understanding". :D

Research actually says that if you stay away long enough and then return home, you do have to go through the process again.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:49 am

I can certainly say I through each and every one of these stages each time I visit Peru. In fact a lot of them throughout the course of any given day in Peru.
Tom
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:40 pm

tomsax wrote:I can certainly say I through each and every one of these stages each time I visit Peru. In fact a lot of them throughout the course of any given day in Peru.

That rings a bell.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register