Expat community in Tarapoto is growing rapidly.

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Expat community in Tarapoto is growing rapidly.

Postby chi chi » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:43 pm

In the last few months a growing number of Americans and Europeans moved to Tarapoto.

Many of them lived in Lima but they decided to move to a clean and nice city with a lower cost of living.
They also wanted to escape the constant threat of violence and crime in Lima.


panman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: Expat community in Tarapoto is growing rapidly.

Postby panman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:12 pm

chi chi wrote:In the last few months a growing number of Americans and Europeans moved to Tarapoto.

Many of them lived in Lima but they decided to move to a clean and nice city with a lower cost of living.
They also wanted to escape the constant threat of violence and crime in Lima.

It's all your fault for over promoting the place. The next thing it'll be over run with gringo's and a place to move away from :lol:
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Expat community in Tarapoto is growing rapidly.

Postby chi chi » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:48 pm

panman wrote:
chi chi wrote:In the last few months a growing number of Americans and Europeans moved to Tarapoto.

Many of them lived in Lima but they decided to move to a clean and nice city with a lower cost of living.
They also wanted to escape the constant threat of violence and crime in Lima.

It's all your fault for over promoting the place. The next thing it'll be over run with gringo's and a place to move away from :lol:


The gringo gang in Tarapoto is a nice bunch of people.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Expat community in Tarapoto is growing rapidly.

Postby teamoperu » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:07 am

If it went from 1 to 2 then there was a 100% increase. How many expats are there in Tarapoto? I know of 3.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Expat community in Tarapoto is growing rapidly.

Postby teamoperu » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:41 am

chi chi wrote:
panman wrote:
chi chi wrote:In the last few months a growing number of Americans and Europeans moved to Tarapoto.

Many of them lived in Lima but they decided to move to a clean and nice city with a lower cost of living.
They also wanted to escape the constant threat of violence and crime in Lima.

It's all your fault for over promoting the place. The next thing it'll be over run with gringo's and a place to move away from :lol:


The gringo gang in Tarapoto is a nice bunch of people.


Well, that is a nice thing to say, but not sure how true it is. There is a chance they are, well, a bit on the peculiar side... what is the word... odd, different - not that there is anything wrong with being different.
To be fair, it is unlikely that the characteristics that make up expats in general would conform the “average” bunch of nice people in any population.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Expat community in Tarapoto is growing rapidly.

Postby chi chi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:04 am

teamoperu wrote:To be fair, it is unlikely that the characteristics that make up expats in general would conform the “average” bunch of nice people in any population.


The average citizen lives his whole life in the city he grew up in.

They study, get a job, buy a home, get married, have kids and the more ties they have to their home country, the more difficult it becomes to become an expat.

You have to brave to be an expat and be flexible. You must be prepared to take risks and be able to cope with losses.

I left my home country when I was 18. I jumped on the fast ferry to the UK with just a suitcase and a few hundred quid in my backpocket. Although speaking very little English, I landed a job at a five star hotel within a few days.

I haven't been back to my homecountry ever since. (apart from an occasional family visit) I lived in several countries and visited half of the world.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Expat community in Tarapoto is growing rapidly.

Postby teamoperu » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:17 pm

teamoperu wrote:If it went from 1 to 2 then there was a 100% increase. How many expats are there in Tarapoto? I know of 3.


How many expats do we think live in Tarapoto?
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Expat community in Tarapoto is growing rapidly.

Postby chi chi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:27 pm

teamoperu wrote:
teamoperu wrote:If it went from 1 to 2 then there was a 100% increase. How many expats are there in Tarapoto? I know of 3.


How many expats do we think live in Tarapoto?


I gues around between 120 and 200. (excluding Big Poppa)
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: Expat community in Tarapoto is growing rapidly.

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:37 pm

Big Poppa?
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Expat community in Tarapoto is growing rapidly.

Postby teamoperu » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:46 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:
teamoperu wrote:If it went from 1 to 2 then there was a 100% increase. How many expats are there in Tarapoto? I know of 3.


How many expats do we think live in Tarapoto?


I gues around between 120 and 200. (excluding Big Poppa)


Whoa now. That puts a whole new light on it. Unless you can prove otherwise with facts, I willing to call bs on this entire thread. Given it is an estimate, you, sir, have no reliable idea if Tarapoto has more or fewer expats. People are born, people die; people come and people go. Maybe many expats have finally tired of the excessive heat, rats, scarcity of shade-providing cardboard, and increasing crime rate (hence implementation of Serenazcos – people do not go to the expensive of hiring guards if they feel there is no need). One expat may come, two may go. Creating false myths about Tarapoto does no one any good and it can be argued that it is unhelpful to deceive innocent people worldwide. I respect your right to feel good about your choice of home city, but I respect the objective truth more.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register