Kids rights to study

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kids rights to study

Postby Lloyd007 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:14 am

A friend of mine has her empleada who leaves her 6 year old at home all day - shock, horror, I know. Anyway, my friend is trying to get the kid in to a state school, but the one closest to them rejected the kid.

The question is this: does anyone have any official info about rights of kids to free education? Do schools have to accept kids from the local vicinity? What can be done at this point?

Any official info would be great.

Thanks for your help!

victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Kids rights to study

Postby victmanu » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:19 am

Education is free and mandatory for all the levels elementary, junior and high school; If your friend is not spanish native speaker maybe He got lost in traslation.
She should be accepted by public schools but the year is almost over. The school schedule in this country start in March and finish in December.
If You need help to register the kid for next year let me know, I can help them out.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:31 am

That would be great. Thank you for your offer and my friend speaks excellent Spanish.

Please drop me an email to [email protected] and we can talk further.

Thanks!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:37 am

Lloyd007 wrote:A friend of mine has her empleada who leaves her 6 year old at home all day - shock, horror, I know. Anyway, my friend is trying to get the kid in to a state school, but the one closest to them rejected the kid.

It's common in Peru that children don't go to school. Simply because they have to help with household tasks or go to work to help supporting the family.

I have seen many girls that are 11-15 year old and working as waitress at a menu restaurant or working as sales assistant at clothing shops. Often they only make 5 or 10 soles a day.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register