Does the north really have the best ceviche?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
miaperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Does the north really have the best ceviche?

Postby miaperu » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:40 pm

I was amazed to be told that ceviche is an English word derived from"see the beach?" I must say I have eaten some excellent cebiches in Chiclayo and Sullana, and pretty good in Lima. The worst must be in Tarapoto!

panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Does the north really have the best ceviche?

Postby panman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:59 am

Without wasting my time doing any research, my initial reaction is that someone is taking the ceviche.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:12 am

There are different cebiche recipes for various regions. Cebiche Norteno is the Northern style.
While I prefer Cebiche in Chiclayo, the best I have tasted in Lima, Cebicheria Luz in Mercado Magdelena
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:14 am

miaperu wrote:I was amazed to be told that ceviche is an English word derived from"see the beach?" I must say I have eaten some excellent cebiches in Chiclayo and Sullana, and pretty good in Lima. The worst must be in Tarapoto!

LOL - See the Beach? are your sure? That sounds real English to me. Better: MiralaPlaya, Verlaplaya lol

Origin:
1950–55; < American Spanish (Peru, Ecuador, etc.) cebiche, ceviche, seviche, said to be derivative of Spanish cebo fodder, fish pieces used for bait < Latin cibus food
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:21 am

miaperu wrote:I was amazed to be told that ceviche is an English word derived from"see the beach?" I must say I have eaten some excellent cebiches in Chiclayo and Sullana, and pretty good in Lima. The worst must be in Tarapoto!

Sounds that you have never been to Tarapoto.
You should pay a visit to Cebicheria Limon & Aji. One of the best Cebicherias in Peru.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnggMktPN8k
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:17 pm

tupacperu wrote:

LOL - See the Beach? are your sure? That sounds real English to me. Better: MiralaPlaya, Verlaplaya lol

Origin:
1950–55; < American Spanish (Peru, Ecuador, etc.) cebiche, ceviche, seviche, said to be derivative of Spanish cebo fodder, fish pieces used for bait < Latin cibus food

From Wikipedia. I tend to think it is the Quechua word.. :) Like "charqui!"

The origin of the name of the dish is also disputed. One hypothesis suggests the common Spanish word for the dish, cebiche, has its origin in the Latin word cibus,[2] which translates to English as "food for men and animals."[17] Another hypothesis, supported by the Royal Spanish Academy, is the name might derive from the Spanish-Arabic word assukkabáǧ, which itself derives from the Arabic word sakbāj (سكباج meaning: meat cooked in vinegar).[6][18] Further hypotheses base the origin of the term on escabeche, Spanish for pickle, or it is simply a variation of the word siwichi, the traditional Quechua name for the dish.[11]
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:42 pm

Oh and by the way, the best ceviche comes from my wife's kitchen! :lol:
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:48 pm

chi chi wrote:

You should pay a visit to Cebicheria Limon & Aji. One of the best Cebicherias in Peru.

The promotional video was notable: 3 things to note (for fun)
1. They show a tilapia cebiche – most would agree not the best to use, not even close to mero. The best cervicheria in Peru would not use tilapia. (Note, I quite like fresh tilapia).
2. The anfitrionas were hiding out in the shade, not surprising for hot hot hot Tarpoto
3. One of them had her shirt on backwards, only in Tarapoto you say (joke)
miaperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby miaperu » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:09 pm

chi chi wrote:

chichi. I must say i was in tarapoto for only 4 days and ate ceviche just off the plz de armas made with telapia and fresh water crab. It was milky... with plenty of ajino moto added. Really not the best though the place was popular. However the coffee at the corner cafe is the best ive had in peru or s america!!!
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:20 am

The best ceviche I had up north was in Huanchaco. Excellent. A creamy red ''ahi'' sauce and a decent portion. Very good!

The worst I had in Lima was at the Caplina Cevicheria, very close to La Mar, a very upscale restaurant and a price of S/.44 per ceviche. Small portion, poor quality, not what you'd expect for nearly S/. 50 each! Nothing special about the food. We won't be going back. I had better ceviche's at menu places. Very disappointed.
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:55 pm

My favorite was made from trout in the mountains near Huancayo. The meat was pinkish-orange, and was incredible. The Mantaro Valley.
..A Peruvian once asked me:what's the difference between special and abnormal?.....well my answer was : Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus..

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register