19 reasons you should probably up and move to Lima, Peru

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: 19 reasons you should probably up and move to Lima, Peru

Postby argidd » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:06 pm

I guess the person who wrote this article didn't have to worry about schooling for their children.... :cry:
Regards,

Argidd
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: 19 reasons you should probably up and move to Lima, Peru

Postby panman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:21 pm

I have no real complaints as I chose to live here, other than my rice issue :lol: but this is most definately the work of a tourist wearing rose tinted spectacles.
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Re: 19 reasons you should probably up and move to Lima, Peru

Postby tupacperu » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:26 pm

argidd wrote:I guess the person who wrote this article didn't have to worry about schooling for their children.... :cry:


Actually, Private schools in Peru are much better that Public schools in the US. My son Renzo attend private schools (grade 1 - 3) in Lima and is now much more advanced than his schoolmate at 12 years old. We live in a Blue Ribbon School district in the US and he is still at the top of his class. I will say that public schools in Peru are not so good.
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Re: 19 reasons you should probably up and move to Lima, Peru

Postby tupacperu » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:29 pm

panman wrote:I have no real complaints as I chose to live here, other than my rice issue :lol: but this is most definately the work of a tourist wearing rose tinted spectacles.


Rice issue?

My wife always had to fix me a plate of veggies and Quinoa, when everyone else had rice.
I have an issue with rice too. Living in Peru Veggies were like dessert :)
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: 19 reasons you should probably up and move to Lima, Peru

Postby argidd » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:49 pm

tupacperu wrote:
argidd wrote:I guess the person who wrote this article didn't have to worry about schooling for their children.... :cry:


Actually, Private schools in Peru are much better that Public schools in the US. My son Renzo attend private schools (grade 1 - 3) in Lima and is now much more advanced than his schoolmate at 12 years old. We live in a Blue Ribbon School district in the US and he is still at the top of his class. I will say that public schools in Peru are not so good.


Hi Tupac

My comment was toward the recent PISA tests results (2012's results), which show Peru as the last, in 65 participating countries, in Science, Maths and Reading Comprehension scores... LAST!
http://www.oecd.org/pisa/keyfindings/PI ... -I-ENG.pdf

I think we can't even compare private and public schools in Peru, the difference is just too big. But the fact that private schools here are better than some schools in the US isn't necessarily a sign of superior quality... just look at the US scores.
Regards,

Argidd
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 19 reasons you should probably up and move to Lima, Peru

Postby TShadow » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:13 pm

Raising children and let them have a good instruction is clearly something for people who have money. The better private schools in Peru can cost you easily $1000 a month. I also raised 3 children in Italy, which certainly is not the best what instructions are concerned, but school is free.

In Germany it is even better, the kindergardens, schools health systems, and many of the best Universities are free.

If your financial resources are so high that you don't care, that's another business. But for the average incoming it's a big burden. I know some very unhappy Expats who are working and living only to pay the rents for their children. That's the life of a rat. Peru should be a place where you can work for you living, not the contrary.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: 19 reasons you should probably up and move to Lima, Peru

Postby chi chi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:19 pm

I can think of 190 reasons to get out of Lima.
kpw
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:42 pm

Re: 19 reasons you should probably up and move to Lima, Peru

Postby kpw » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:14 am

I believe the vast majority of problems and issues in Peru have their origin in the terrible education system. How they drive, hygiene (throw garbage), speak (full of insults), unreliability and no respect for the common other, those are all education issues.

If Peru will ever evolve from just being a natural resource exporter and become industrialized, education needs to dramatically change.

Regarding private school comparison.... Probably the best 20 private schools in Peru (that are only in Lima!), are probably very good but too expensive considering the country's GDP per capita. I believe the top 20 private ones in the US are just as good.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: 19 reasons you should probably up and move to Lima, Peru

Postby chi chi » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:38 pm

kpw wrote:I believe the vast majority of problems and issues in Peru have their origin in the terrible education system. How they drive, hygiene (throw garbage), speak (full of insults), unreliability and no respect for the common other, those are all education issues.

If Peru will ever evolve from just being a natural resource exporter and become industrialized, education needs to dramatically change.


Not only that. Also a corrupt government.
A lot of the tax money that otherwise could be invested in good and affordable education, ends up in the pockets of politicians and other government officials.

Peruvians aren't stupid. They know that they are being scammed by their government. So, they use all tricks possible not to pay taxes as they know that their money won't end up where it should be.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: 19 reasons you should probably up and move to Lima, Peru

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:32 am

tupacperu wrote:http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/peru/130819/19-reasons-love-lima-peru


Obviously the writer of this has never experienced garua and I liked the fact he said Lima was a great place to cycle... that made me laugh.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:12 am

Re: 19 reasons you should probably up and move to Lima, Peru

Postby Hitoruna » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:
tupacperu wrote:http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/peru/130819/19-reasons-love-lima-peru


Obviously the writer of this has never experienced garua and I liked the fact he said Lima was a great place to cycle... that made me laugh.


Well, garua is not that bad...

Anyway, I liked the article. even if it is not entirely true a lift spirit one is good once in a while uh? :wink:
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: 19 reasons you should probably up and move to Lima, Peru

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:17 am

Sergio Bernales wrote:I liked the fact he said Lima was a great place to cycle... that made me laugh.


The poor guy must be suicidal-
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2880
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: 19 reasons you should probably up and move to Lima, Peru

Postby Alan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:58 am

chi chi wrote:
Sergio Bernales wrote:I liked the fact he said Lima was a great place to cycle... that made me laugh.


The poor guy must be suicidal-


In a way, it is a great place to cycle. I do a lot of cycling, mostly around the commercial center of Miraflores. You have to be careful, especially for jay-walking pedestrians and randomly opened car doors, but cycling is wayy faster than driving. One of the cool things is that pedestrians are pretty tolerant when you ride on the sidewalks, which is great because it allows you to disregard one-way streets.

Que viva la bicicleta!
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: 19 reasons you should probably up and move to Lima, Peru

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:07 am

Alan wrote:In a way, it is a great place to cycle. I do a lot of cycling, mostly around the commercial center of Miraflores. You have to be careful, especially for jay-walking pedestrians and randomly opened car doors, but cycling is wayy faster than driving. One of the cool things is that pedestrians are pretty tolerant when you ride on the sidewalks, which is great because it allows you to disregard one-way streets.

Que viva la bicicleta!


Yesterday, I was in Miraflores and I have seen some bicycle paths but the problem is that people aren't used to see bicycles or don't know what the bicycle paths are so most people who use those lanes are pedestrians.

When I walk at the Malecon at Miraflores, the bicycle paths were full of pedestrians. Probably it was that bad because it was a sunday and the nice weather attracted a lot of people to the malecon. I guess that it isn't that bad during week days.
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 19 reasons you should probably up and move to Lima, Peru

Postby TShadow » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:19 am

I do a lot of cycling


You certainly are a capable cyclist and in this case I agree with you, it's a good thrill to do so in the most parts of Lima. I wouldn't try it, but that is just me.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: 19 reasons you should probably up and move to Lima, Peru

Postby Sergio Bernales » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:56 am

Alan wrote:
chi chi wrote:
Sergio Bernales wrote:I liked the fact he said Lima was a great place to cycle... that made me laugh.


The poor guy must be suicidal-


In a way, it is a great place to cycle. I do a lot of cycling, mostly around the commercial center of Miraflores. You have to be careful, especially for jay-walking pedestrians and randomly opened car doors, but cycling is wayy faster than driving. One of the cool things is that pedestrians are pretty tolerant when you ride on the sidewalks, which is great because it allows you to disregard one-way streets.

Que viva la bicicleta!


Bad example, Alan, suggesting the pavements are a good place to cycle. Even if you're a very careful cyclist, which I'm sure you are, bicycles belong on the road. If one person does it, then every nut job, speed freak and thoughtless teenager will do it. There are already too many aggressive cyclists who drive on the pavements as if they have right of way, just like most of the lunatics on the road. Yes, it's dangerous for them on the roads, but why make it more dangerous for pedestrians. The malecón is about the only place I think is a decent place to cycle, otherwise until there are proper bicycle paths, it's just making things more dangerous for pedestrians as well as cyclists, allowing them on the pavement.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register