Let me shake your hand!

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2880
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Let me shake your hand!

Postby Alan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:33 am

Okay.. I have pretty much gotten used to the massive amount of hand shaking that goes on in Peru, and in fact have come to appreciate and enjoy the way it brings people a little closer together. Then, I saw this:

http://9gag.tv/v/2017

I struggle thinking this could ever fly here... imagine Humala bro punching Garcia... but hey.. thought the video was food for thought, pretty comical, and worth sharing.


Looking forward to some comments!


teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Let me shake your hand!

Postby teamoperu » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:59 pm

Well, to add a thought, often when my Peruvian friends have dirty hands they offer their forearm... they must have already seen the video :)
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Let me shake your hand!

Postby TShadow » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:36 pm

If possible, I never shake hands. Sometimes it can't be avoided.

Another thing I hate is the cheek kissing they use here.

I also now wonder about the danger of kissing. Maybe I should avoid that too.
User avatar
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1394
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:28 pm

Re: Let me shake your hand!

Postby tomsax » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:56 pm

Alan wrote:Okay.. I have pretty much gotten used to the massive amount of hand shaking that goes on in Peru, and in fact have come to appreciate and enjoy the way it brings people a little closer together. Then, I saw this:

http://9gag.tv/v/2017

I struggle thinking this could ever fly here... imagine Humala bro punching Garcia... but hey.. thought the video was food for thought, pretty comical, and worth sharing.


Looking forward to some comments!


Surely the logical conclusion should be no contact at all, not,fist punching! And then also just staying in your house as going out will also increase risks of infection. Plus handwashing around 50 times a day.

I go with the view that our bodies have evolved to work best with a certain amount of exposure to germs to help generate resistance. In my book anyone who gets ill because they haven't developed a resistance to germs through avoiding physical contracts deserves to get ill.

I have no scientific evidencee for this view but I know it is true because I want it to be.
Tom
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:12 am

Re: Let me shake your hand!

Postby Hitoruna » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:50 pm

Oh mine, you know that you dont ** have to ** kiss the cheek when cheek kissing... :roll:

only little kids do that hahaha :lol:

cheek kissing just means holding your cheek close to the other cheek that is all , it is more of a pretending (of course in a "solapa" way- look that in the dictionary :P
User avatar
19naia
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:49 pm

Re: Let me shake your hand!

Postby 19naia » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:01 pm

And this just reminded me of the study results for cell phone filth..it was found that the most common filth found on cellphones = "fecal matter"..in micro quantities ,and this was done in a very developed country... :shock:
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Let me shake your hand!

Postby chi chi » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:05 pm

I don't shake hands. I think it's nonsense.
User avatar
19naia
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:49 pm

Re: Let me shake your hand!

Postby 19naia » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:12 pm

tomsax wrote:
Alan wrote:Okay.. I have pretty much gotten used to the massive amount of hand shaking that goes on in Peru, and in fact have come to appreciate and enjoy the way it brings people a little closer together. Then, I saw this:

http://9gag.tv/v/2017

I struggle thinking this could ever fly here... imagine Humala bro punching Garcia... but hey.. thought the video was food for thought, pretty comical, and worth sharing.


Looking forward to some comments!


Surely the logical conclusion should be no contact at all, not,fist punching! And then also just staying in your house as going out will also increase risks of infection. Plus handwashing around 50 times a day.

I go with the view that our bodies have evolved to work best with a certain amount of exposure to germs to help generate resistance. In my book anyone who gets ill because they haven't developed a resistance to germs through avoiding physical contracts deserves to get ill.

I have no scientific evidencee for this view but I know it is true because I want it to be.
.
There was another study in india on the gangeS river during the big cultural pilgrimage to wash in the river...it found that the fecal microbes in the water were so high it went above crisis level in World health standards..the doctor who did the study still goes to the river for his ritual bath to ironically cleanse himself,he says he has no sickness from it and that the spiritual devotion can be an immune booster to make people resistant,or as simple as its human waste microbes which means it comes from humans and no harm in ending up where it came from..then again many people are resistant to hepatitis of all forms,i lived africa and im resistant and have evidence of it..most 3rd world poor have good fortune of resistance until mal nutrition includeing starveing breaks them down....
User avatar
28°N 82°W
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:05 pm

Re: Let me shake your hand!

Postby 28°N 82°W » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:43 pm

Instead of shaking hands why don't you just pull my finger?
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Let me shake your hand!

Postby chi chi » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:57 pm

28°N 82°W wrote:Instead of shaking hands why don't you just pull my finger?


Huh huh huh huh huh huh huh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPNwi4TVudU
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2880
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Let me shake your hand!

Postby Alan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:09 pm

tomsax wrote:
I have no scientific evidencee for this view but I know it is true because I want it to be.


:D

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register