Encounter at a Police Checkpoint - what does that mean?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
emanaku
Gold Member
Gold Member

Encounter at a Police Checkpoint - what does that mean?

Postby emanaku » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi, here in the Sacred Valley every now and then (several times a week) you see a police car at the side of the street and they stop cars to check papers etc. Often they check trucks.

We were stopped a couple of times over the last years, and normally this is not a big thing and they are usually very friendly.

Three days ago I got stopped - and learned that we need to go to the CITV for car inspection (10 months overdue - I just forgot that they might have a TÜV here, too ;-) ).

Then the officer stopped another car to show me how the paper looks like which I would obtain from the CITV. The officer said he would not give me a multa because we are still tourists (the carnet extrañera is waiting for us).

Then he asked me if we want to sell the car ... ???

And then he asked me if I know somebody who would buy jewelry ("joyas") ... ?????

Any ideas what these two questions actually mean?

The Sacred Valley is small - and usually you meet the same police guys again (and again) - so I do not want to get into strange situations causing permanent trouble ...

PS: I got the revision tecnica for the car two days later without problems

teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Encounter at a Police Checkpoint - what does that mean?

Postby teamoperu » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:46 am

Before someone posts that all police in Peru are corrupt, they are not. Sounds like you got nice one who was quite helpful... there are many like that, in my experience.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:41 pm

Maybe he buys and sells cars and jewelry to make an extra buck to supplement his meager police salary.

teamoperu wrote:Before someone posts that all police in Peru are corrupt, they are not. Sounds like you got nice one who was quite helpful... there are many like that, in my experience.

In and around Tarapoto, there are a lot of police checkpoints. I never got any hassle at them.
I always carry my licence, SOAT and tarjeta de propiedad of my motorbike, so there's isn't anything they can say something about.
I always find them very friendly and polite. Which is getting rare nowadays in Europe.
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TShadow » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:47 pm

Before someone posts that all police in Peru are corrupt,

That would be an overstatement, many are corrupt.

Well I've been stopped many times and never had any problem. I'm always gentle and they were always polite and never had been asked for a bribe.

Chi chi it depends where in Europe. I never found any unpolite police officers in Germany, but in Italy, Spain they usually are very bad.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:21 pm

emanaku wrote:

Then he asked me if we want to sell the car ... ???

And then he asked me if I know somebody who would buy jewelry ("joyas") ... ?????

Any ideas what these two questions actually mean?

Hard to say without having been there, but sounds like you got a decent guy who figured you might have friends with cash enough to buy jewlery (maybe a relative of his makes "artesania". The car question isn't so strange either. When I drove an older model Peugot, I'd get the question from time to time from random people.

Saludos!

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register