mailing a check to the US

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

mailing a check to the US

Postby calygirl » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:43 pm

So I went to the Serpost today to mail an insurance check to an insurance company in the US for a life insurance premium. The woman at the counter noticed through the envelope that it contained a check and said no checks can be sent through the mail and refused to take it. Anyone heard of this before? I sent the same check last year with no problems.

ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: mailing a check to the US

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:09 pm

That's new to me. Never had a problem sending a check before, but I place the check inside a folded sheet of paper so that if held to the light it looks like a simple letter instead of obviously holding a check.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:38 pm

A few years back I had a US client who mailed me a check to Lima by mistake and they could no reissue another. So I had to go to FedEx to mail it back to a family member. This was before banks had online check cashing. Anyway, FedEx charged me $50 b/c checks were required to be sent using the overnight service. So that was then.

Now, I'd suggest checking into your bank's online features. You may be able to take a digital photo and deposit it through their portal. I know for a fact Capital One checking and Bank of America offer this service and it works great. Wish I had it back then...

I misread that you need to mail a check to pay for a service so I guess that's not gonna help you. Doesn't the insurance company have an online payment service where you can enter a digital check with routing number etc?
Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Danny55 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:14 pm

Do what IronChris does. I have also noticed that the envelops in Peru tend to be in the thin side.
I would never mail anything anywhere in the world if somebody can put your envelop to the light and see what is written inside.
Place a piece of blank paper around the check and take it back to Serpost and send it, you will have no problems.

But, if you can do it online even better!
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:37 pm

Thanks all for the input. I'm going to follow IronChris' s suggestion...that's what I should have done in the first place...would have saved some aggravation.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:24 pm

That advice was from back in the day. I haven't written a physical check in years. I try to do as much bill paying as possible online and use postal money orders on those rare occasions I need to send a check - good if it gets lost or stolen. A postal money order doesn't do much good here in Peru though so as long as your comfortable sending a check in the mail try it inside the folded paper. Then again, I'm not so sure electronic banking is the safest thing either.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:33 pm

Yup, bypass rules that might be in place for legal reasons. Great advice.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:45 pm

calygirl wrote:So I went to the Serpost today to mail an insurance check to an insurance company in the US for a life insurance premium. The woman at the counter noticed through the envelope that it contained a check and said no checks can be sent through the mail and refused to take it. Anyone heard of this before? I sent the same check last year with no problems.

Just put it in one of those brown manillla envelops and they can't see trough it.

I use them all them time to send my wellfare paperwork to Europe.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:02 am

That is because valuables are not supposed to be mailed through the post, if you check they say no money, no jewelry, no valuables.
Regards,

Argidd
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am

Believe me, if this company had an electronic billing mechanism, I wouldn't be dealing with this hassle, but sadly, they don't. And yes, Argidd, I did check the regs. It mentions no currency, no paper money, no traveler's checks, bank notes, and......securities payable to bearer....which could be interpreted as a "cheque" or "check" in english. So there you have it.
As mentioned, I sent a check last year with no problem at either end.
dlareg

Postby dlareg » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:08 am

argidd wrote:That is because valuables are not supposed to be mailed through the post, if you check they say no money, no jewelry, no valuables.

Would you consider a DNI to be valuable?
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:59 am

Is FedEx significantly more expensive?

If the regular post is your only option, then put a paper around the check and put it in an envelope...
Regards,

Argidd

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register