prices

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: prices

Postby chi chi » Thu May 08, 2014 8:50 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Prices for gringo candy bars are outrageous in Peru. I'm not big on candy bars but I do have a weakness for Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. Whenever I get a craving instead of paying 4+ Soles I'll get the Peru equivalent (Princessa) for S/. 1.10. I'm a big fan of Iberica chocolate fondant (dark) which comes in a 6 (100 gm) bar box for around S/. 30.

What I don't understand is that Peru produces a lot of Cacao but they can't produce decent chocolate.

Belgium, doesn't produce any cacao at all but has the best chocolate in the world.

imagesCAQGZT8O.jpg
imagesCAQGZT8O.jpg (7.81 KiB) Viewed 2691 times

ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu May 08, 2014 8:57 pm

There's decent chocolate in Peru but you have to pay a higher price for it. Try Iberica next time you're in Lima. It's from Arequipa so I don't think it's available up North, but I know they have it in Lima. It's a bit more expensive than it is here but it's not crazy expensive.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu May 08, 2014 9:27 pm

chi chi wrote:
ironchefchris wrote:Prices for gringo candy bars are outrageous in Peru. I'm not big on candy bars but I do have a weakness for Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. Whenever I get a craving instead of paying 4+ Soles I'll get the Peru equivalent (Princessa) for S/. 1.10. I'm a big fan of Iberica chocolate fondant (dark) which comes in a 6 (100 gm) bar box for around S/. 30.

What I don't understand is that Peru produces a lot of Cacao but they can't produce decent chocolate.

Belgium, doesn't produce any cacao at all but has the best chocolate in the world.

imagesCAQGZT8O.jpg

They also grow over 4,000 varieties of potato's in Peru, but can't make decent *chips.

*For the American readers, those things you insist on calling French fries are not real chips. Real chips are cut thick, and cooked in animal fat. :lol:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 08, 2014 9:59 pm

panman wrote:They also grow over 4,000 varieties of potato's in Peru, but can't make decent *chips.

*For the American readers, those things you insist on calling French fries are not real chips. Real chips are cut thick, and cooked in animal fat. :lol:

Your are right.
The chips served a McDonalds are a delicatesse compared to the chips served at the pollerías.

The only pollería I know that serves decent chips is the pollería located opposite 'El monumento del Mujer' in Villa El Salvador.
When we lived in San Miguel, my gf and I found it worthwhile to spend 1.5 hours on the bus to go all the way to Villa El Salvador to eat chips at that place.

...but the best chips in the world can be found in...Belgium. We are a disaster when it comes to forming a new government after the elections but our chocolate and chips are the best.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu May 08, 2014 10:32 pm

ironchefchris wrote:
chi chi wrote:
Sergio Bernales wrote:Very true, but I've also heard that, in the days before CCTV, it was used to prevent employee theft. For smaller items, pricing something at 99 cents or 1.99, etc, meant that customers would be expecting a penny change and a receipt, so the the cashier has no choice but to open the cash register and register a sale. If the customer wasn't expecting any change and couldn't be bothered waiting for a receipt, then it was very easy just to pocket the money. Apart from missing stock, which could be put down to shop lifting, nobody would be any the wiser.

Every cash register has a button to allow you to open it anytime or employees put a small piece of cardboard between the drawer and it won't close completely and you can open it anytime.

chi chi knows all the little tricks.

I don't see that trick working if you've got to issue a receipt. But yeah, he does seem to know all the tricks. He's probably planning on selling the Brooklyn Bridge when he's there. Maybe he'll sell it to Jim the angry real estate investor who doesn't like bad spellers.

And yeah, I agree the Belgians do chips and chocolate well, two of my most favourite things. The first time I had chips and mayonnaise was in Belgium, many moons ago. I've also had some good artisan chocolates here, but I've rarely found any bigger producers doing anything of real note. And every time I go to Mistura there are people with some great chocolates, but I never see them in any shops. Although I will look out for Iberica now.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu May 08, 2014 10:37 pm

chi chi wrote:
panman wrote:They also grow over 4,000 varieties of potato's in Peru, but can't make decent *chips.

Your are right.
The chips served a McDonalds are a delicatesse compared to the chips served at the pollerías.

The only pollería I know that serves decent chips is the pollería located opposite 'El monumento del Mujer' in Villa El Salvador.
When we lived in San Miguel, my gf and I found it worthwhile to spend 1.5 hours on the bus to go all the way to Villa El Salvador to eat chips at that place.

...but the best chips in the world can be found in...Belgium. We are a disaster when it comes to forming a new government after the elections but our chocolate and chips are the best.

Chi Chi, you do your country an injustice. You might not have a clue when it comes to politics, but the beer's not that bad.
As for chips in San Miguel, next time you're here I'll let you know where to find some.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 08, 2014 10:57 pm

panman wrote:Chi Chi, you do your country an injustice. You might not have a clue when it comes to politics, but the beer's not that bad.

The beers are the best too. For a small country, it produces many great products.

You can find Belgian beers in the supermarkets like Wong and Tottus but unfortunately, they are priced very UN-democratically.

One of the ex-first ladies in Peru is from Belgium. She was married to Alejandro Toledo.

And my gf is a big fan of Jean-Claude Vandamme. She even hung up a poster of him in the bathroom.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu May 08, 2014 11:20 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:And every time I go to Mistura there are people with some great chocolates, but I never see them in any shops. Although I will look out for Iberica now.

Lima locations:

https://www.facebook.com/LaIbericaPeru/ ... 1989631558

I've seen them at the Wong Plaza in Miraflores near Parque Kennedy.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 pm

All jokes aside, another great Peruvian chocolate is Helena,from Ica. They have an outlet on Av. Pezet in San Isidro and in Larco Mar in Miraflores.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Fri May 09, 2014 12:22 pm

chi chi wrote:The beers are the best too.
My German blood begs to differ :twisted:

chi chi wrote:And my gf is a big fan of Jean-Claude Vandamme. She even hung up a poster of him in the bathroom.

Thats rather alarming then funny :?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri May 09, 2014 6:37 pm

Guiri wrote:
chi chi wrote:The beers are the best too.
My German blood begs to differ :twisted:

Did you go to the Oktoberfest in Lima?

It's really nice. German music, German food. Unfortunately, the beer isn't German. They only sell Cuzqueña.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sat May 10, 2014 12:42 pm

I've been making the most of cheap alcohol while back as well and have been out almost every single night. It's great to actually have choice!

I picked up a few American IPAs last night like Samuel Adams and an American Belgian style beer called Blue Moon as well as Duvel which i love. The price of a Duvel was only £1.50 a bottle which is 7 sols. Not sure what the price is in Lima, is it around 18 or 22 sols in the supermarkets?? If it is it's pretty difficult in my eyes to justify a 3X mark up on a product.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat May 10, 2014 1:00 pm

Imported beer in Peru is crazy marked up. Strangely, scotch isn't. I usually see deals for JW Red at around S./ 45 which includes a mixer. Sometimes the free mixer is some weirdly flavored gaseosa that I can't see being mixed with scotch, but whatever. It's still pretty affordable. Scotch and gin were crazy expensive when I lived in Nicaragua which turned me into a rum drinker. For whatever reason imported beer is super expensive. Perhaps the beer companies here have the ear of the politicians?
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sat May 10, 2014 1:18 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Imported beer in Peru is crazy marked up. Strangely, scotch isn't. I usually see deals for JW Red at around S./ 45 which includes a mixer. Sometimes the free mixer is some weirdly flavored gaseosa that I can't see being mixed with scotch, but whatever. It's still pretty affordable. Scotch and gin were crazy expensive when I lived in Nicaragua which turned me into a rum drinker. For whatever reason imported beer is super expensive. Perhaps the beer companies here have the ear of the politicians?

I've wondered about that, too. The best three reasons I came up with is beer is a bulkier product than whisky, so per bottle it's going to be more expensive to import. The other thing is Diageo, owners of Johnny Walker, has efficient distribution channels and economies of scale to their advantage and can price competitively. They've also got a big emerging market marketing campaign at the moment as it's where they see most growth coming from. Although Johnny Walker is marketed as a luxury product, Diageo price Red competitively deliberately, as it is their entry level product, so ideally, as people get richer, they will progress towards black, maybe even double black and buy blue for special occasions. And finally, Alejandro Toledo was a big fan of Johnny Walker Black - so he probably didn't want his favourite tipple to be too expensive, especially, as he seems to have been a fan of sprinkling it on his cornflakes in the morning

http://peru21.pe/noticia/721857/gobierno-etiqueta-negra

I know what you mean about selling Scotch with strange mixers. Usually I see it being sold along with Guarana. A mind-boggling combination that I've yet to try, although I once saw a couple of flashy young guys in a night club drinking a bottle of Blue Label with Red Bull. Obviously they were connoisseurs.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat May 10, 2014 2:26 pm

Guaraná, that's it. Keep that stuff away from my scotch! Add Red Bull and Coca-Cola to that list as well. Scotch mixed with any gaseosa just doesn't seem right to me. I'd feel as if I were committing a sin putting even half a cube of ice in a glass of Johnny Blue. I remember as a kid my grandmother issuing warnings that stirring too much would "bruise" the gin. I had no idea what she was talking about until I was older and then it made perfect sense. I don't drink much compared to when I was in my twenties, but if I am it's usually scotch. Single malt, straight; blended, maybe with a single cube of ice.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat May 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:[And finally, Alejandro Toledo was a big fan of Johnny Walker Black - so he probably didn't want his favourite tipple to be too expensive, especially, as he seems to have been a fan of sprinkling it on his cornflakes in the morning

Probably because it's was cheaper than milk.

Milk and anything else made of milk like cheese is very expensive in Peru.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sat May 10, 2014 3:29 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Guaraná, that's it. Keep that stuff away from my scotch! Add Red Bull and Coca-Cola to that list as well. Scotch mixed with any gaseosa just doesn't seem right to me. I'd feel as if I were committing a sin putting even half a cube of ice in a glass of Johnny Blue. I remember as a kid my grandmother issuing warnings that stirring too much would "bruise" the gin. I had no idea what she was talking about until I was older and then it made perfect sense. I don't drink much compared to when I was in my twenties, but if I am it's usually scotch. Single malt, straight; blended, maybe with a single cube of ice.

According to an ex-colleague/drinks expert of mine, adding a few drops of water (not ice) to whiskey, especially those with a high alcohol content, can actually release flavours/flavors that you might not normally taste.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat May 10, 2014 3:55 pm

panman wrote:According to an ex-colleague/drinks expert of mine, adding a few drops of water (not ice) to whiskey, especially those with a high alcohol content, can actually release flavours/flavors that you might not normally taste.

Even better, add coffee to Whiskey. 8)

imagesCARB3BO5.jpg
imagesCARB3BO5.jpg (9.25 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Sat May 10, 2014 5:54 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Guaraná, that's it. Keep that stuff away from my scotch! Add Red Bull and Coca-Cola to that list as well. Scotch mixed with any gaseosa just doesn't seem right to me. .
I always thought the same until I tried scotch with tonic.... :shock:
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sat May 10, 2014 7:35 pm

Guiri wrote:
ironchefchris wrote:Guaraná, that's it. Keep that stuff away from my scotch! Add Red Bull and Coca-Cola to that list as well. Scotch mixed with any gaseosa just doesn't seem right to me. .
I always thought the same until I tried scotch with tonic.... :shock:

My vote, so far goes to chi chi on this one. If you're going to adulterate whiskey with anything, then add coffee.
In reality, perhaps the only thing you should add to whiskey, is more whiskey.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sat May 10, 2014 7:51 pm

Yeah adding water does release the flavour with whiskey and as a child i always remember my father saying this as well.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sat May 10, 2014 7:58 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:Yeah adding water does release the flavour with whiskey and as a child i always remember my father saying this as well.

For the true effect though, to release the flavour and not drown the whiskey, it should literally be just a few drops. My grandad used to add "the same again", now that's what I call sacrilege.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun May 11, 2014 6:42 pm

What's really expensive is cheese.

Only at MAKRO, you can buy cheese at a reasonable price for Peruvian standards.

When I am in Lima, I stop at MAKRO in Callao on the way to the airport to buy a 1kg block of Blue Cheese and a bag of grated Guyere.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Mon May 12, 2014 4:28 am

Cheese is a killer! also sausages and bacon aren't cheap. 12 sausages for £2 ($3.10) is the price i've usually seen in supermarkets here. I guess that's why those crap hotdogs are so popular in Lima.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Mon May 12, 2014 4:38 am

Another thing i've also noticed is the price of furniture say from Surquillo. Basic wardrobes, cupboards etc are lower but not much compared to most of the mass producted furniture you can buy from cataloges here inthe UK.

Is the problem to the prices caused by the fact that there is not really any mass production in Peru. I once heard an arguement about how the west came out top against Russia in the cold war, which said that altho Russia could come up with the technology to put the first man on the moon they couldn't master mass industrialisation of consumer products as well as the west could. Examples used were say the average pair of jeans. If you had the jeans made individually or in smaller quanities it's a lot more money and it's mass production that lowers the cost and makes the product more affordable for the average person on the street.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sun May 25, 2014 11:14 pm

I've just been quoted 299 soles for a months gym membership, not a good gym either or a brand. Technically that has to be some kind of robbery doesn't it! Ah good old Peruvian prices! Nearly 3 times the mark up on something i'd be paying around $35 to $40 for back home!
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:32 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:Ok i've just got into Manchester today and i'm stopping overnight and straight away it just amazes me how you can eat cheaply in England compared to Peru, and good quality food as well. Just a few of the prices i've seen while i've been back and take into consideration that the minimum wage here is at least $1500 a month also these prices are from the very center of Manchester around Piccadilly train station.

pub meal of the day which was chicken and chips with a free pint of beer! £2.99 = $5 = 14 soles

Burger stall: Cheese burger £2= $3.40 = 9 soles
Hot dog £1 = $1.68 = 4.70 soles

Cafe: Breakfast sandwich of bacon and egg with coffee £2 = $3.40 = 9 soles
Subway: 6 inch sub of the day plus coke £3 = $5 = 14 soles (not sure what the price is for a subway in Miraflores but it's about the same price i think)
Greggs (a northern institution!): steak bake/chicken bake £1.15 = $2 = 5.5 soles (steak bakes are more than double the size of an empanada in Lima.
Tescos sandwich, prawn for example £1.70 = $2.80 = 8 soles
Tescos meal deals, sandwich + drink + snack £3 = $5 = 14 soles

Foot long french baquette sandwich with seafood filling £2 = $3.40 = 9 soles

The main difference is the quality of the food you get here compared to that in Lima. You get pies and sandwiches with actual proper fillings of steak and seafood instead of the teaspoon of a filling you will find in a empanada in Lima. You can go to the la menu restaurants for 8 or 9 soles sure but all you will get is rice and potatos!

This is what really p***es me off! why is there just no cheap options when it comes to food in Lima! seriously i got fed and a pint of beer for $5.

I'm not having a go at Lima here, i'm just trying to highlight how in my eyes Peruvians just get ripped off every single day! and it's not fair and it makes my blood boil at times! just remember when you read thru these prices to compare average incomes for both cities as well!

Yeah Lima is about 3-4x times overpriced in relation to the average wage in Peru. And yes you can easily eat a lunch for about 5€ across all Europe. You will not find these prices in restaurants but in pubs and fast food places. If you go to eastern Europe it is even cheaper. So what's the point about living in Lima? Food of very bad quality and overpriced, lots of GMO and forbidden additives in the peruvian food that on long term cause you chronical diseases. Well in EU there is also lot of contamination in the food however on average the sanitary control is far better.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:46 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:Another thing i've also noticed is the price of furniture say from Surquillo. Basic wardrobes, cupboards etc are lower but not much compared to most of the mass producted furniture you can buy from cataloges here inthe UK.

Any Ikea product beats easily all furniture you can buy in Lima. At 1/4 price.
Vannessfamx5

Postby Vannessfamx5 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:00 pm

I remembered my login information and can finally reply :mrgreen: .

Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME? You are trying to compare prices and life styles of Europe with Peru? If you think that you can live in Peru with a salary like in Europe (social security checks included) then you are INSANE! No way will you be making money by doing the bare minimum.

Peru is by far a perfect country but has it advantages too. Don’t like the high prices? Shop at cheaper places. Don’t like Peruvians criollada? Then move the F away! You people are crazy! :roll:

Stop your complaining and go back to your dirty London to be fed with junk food and fish and chips.

Gosh!
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:59 am

Vannessfamx5 wrote:I remembered my login information and can finally reply :mrgreen: .

Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME? You are trying to compare prices and life styles of Europe with Peru? If you think that you can live in Peru with a salary like in Europe (social security checks included) then you are INSANE! No way will you be making money by doing the bare minimum.

Peru is by far a perfect country but has it advantages too. Don’t like the high prices? Shop at cheaper places. Don’t like Peruvians criollada? Then move the F away! You people are crazy! :roll:

Stop your complaining and go back to your dirty London to be fed with junk food and fish and chips.

Gosh!

The arguement is generally not just about the prices but prices against wage income Vanness. I did go to the cheaper places like Gamarra and Surquilla for lots of stuff like furniture and bedding and sat to say, it wasn't that cheap and it wasn't that good.

I got eight cheap $15 chairs, all fell apart within a year. Some of the bedding was good from Gamarra but some lost all their colour after just a few washes and was also binned soon after. I got towels from Gamarra, the clothing dye ran from the towels in the wash and ruined other items which also had to be binned. None of this stuff that I got from Surquillo or Gamarra was what I would call a bargin and those two places are among the cheapest to get stuff in Lima. All of these stuff could have been bought better for a around the same price in Europe. I think it's a valid point to complain about if you buy stuff which isn't that cheap and is pretty poor quality.

I'm not from London but London is the same as Lima, nice if you have the cash a hell hole if you don't! Even then in the centre of one of the worlds most expensive cities I still found it cheap to eat. Places like Bayswater and Paddington and around Moscow Road where you can eat Greek, Iranian or Oriental for £2.50 to £3. Again I think it's a valid point to ask why it costs so much for decent food in Lima against the average income compared to other countries.

What is wrong with that question?
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:02 am

Vannessfamx5 wrote:Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME? You are trying to compare prices and life styles of Europe with Peru? If you think that you can live in Peru with a salary like in Europe (social security checks included) then you are INSANE! No way will you be making money by doing the bare minimum.

from your other post I assume you did not live yet in Peru? You consider to move to Peru? You should make holidays first and see the place.

Regarding price comparisons yes I have to compare by price. If e.g. I decide to rent a hotel and find 2 hotels to cost $200 per night then I assume they have similar comfort level. If you instead find one of the hotels to be a 5 star hotel and the other costing equally $200 be only a one star hotel, then you know you are being ripped off....! That's what you get in Peru: one star hotel at the price of 5 star one.
Vannessfamx5

Postby Vannessfamx5 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:37 pm

mrsteak wrote:
Vannessfamx5 wrote:Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME? You are trying to compare prices and life styles of Europe with Peru? If you think that you can live in Peru with a salary like in Europe (social security checks included) then you are INSANE! No way will you be making money by doing the bare minimum.

from your other post I assume you did not live yet in Peru? You consider to move to Peru? You should make holidays first and see the place.

Regarding price comparisons yes I have to compare by price. If e.g. I decide to rent a hotel and find 2 hotels to cost $200 per night then I assume they have similar comfort level. If you instead find one of the hotels to be a 5 star hotel and the other costing equally $200 be only a one star hotel, then you know you are being ripped off....! That's what you get in Peru: one star hotel at the price of 5 star one.

I am Peruvian but have been living in the USA for 16 years, things here are starting to feel like how it was when Inlect Peru and we thought that my husband’s retirement $ might go further than if we stayed here.

I noticed prices went up when we went to Peru back in 2014 and 2017 but it’s still affordable compared to other big cities in the world. I read it from another expat that if you move to Peru with an income from overseas, then you can live large. But don’t expect to go to Peru and get a job that will pay you what an entry level job could pay you here or Europe. Peru has a lot of problems and the worst of them is corruption but I think it would still be a country of opportunities.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:46 pm

Vannessfamx5 wrote:I noticed prices went up when we went to Peru back in 2014 and 2017 but it’s still affordable compared to other big cities in the world. I read it from another expat that if you move to Peru with an income from overseas, then you can live large. But don’t expect to go to Peru and get a job that will pay you what an entry level job could pay you here or Europe. Peru has a lot of problems and the worst of them is corruption but I think it would still be a country of opportunities.

even if you are Peruvian you missed lot of developments in Lima, apparently. I would never consider moving out of US if I lived there now. Housing is really cheap. If you are too poor to live in a big US city just scale down and move to the country side. The time you can live well on SS cheque in Peru are long time over.

I hope your reason to move out of US is not POTUS lol.... believe it will go over and US will always be kinda US.... the american way of thinking will not change, it will stay a country of opportunities for looong time I tell you.

Personally I would never consider moving to a country only because it is cheaper. I would first look at the wages, security and level of bureaucracy - Peru looses here. The bureaucracy is terribly bloated and inefficient and believe me it is getting worse.

I would look to improve my wage before I move to another country as last resort.
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby toughrider » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:50 pm

mrsteak wrote:even if you are Peruvian you missed lot of developments in Lima, apparently. I would never consider moving out of US if I lived there now. Housing is really cheap. If you are too poor to live in a big US city just scale down and move to the country side. The time you can live well on SS cheque in Peru are long time over.

I hope your reason to move out of US is not POTUS lol.... believe it will go over and US will always be kinda US.... the american way of thinking will not change, it will stay a country of opportunities for looong time I tell you.

Peru is a country that's trying to improve itself without trying to beg other countries to help.

The US would no longer exist if other countries didn't bail them out. The US has the biggest debt in the world.
It's also the only country in the world where there is racial segregation. The US police kills people just because of the colour of their skin. In the US, there's still death penalty which is illegal.
Murderers and people who don't support the government get locked up for life.
Putting someone in jail for more than 6 months, doesn't make sense. A murderer won't reoffend after 6 months but after longer than a year, he will reoffend as he will have noting to lose.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:59 pm

toughrider wrote:Peru is a country that's trying to improve itself without trying to beg other countries to help.

The US would no longer exist if other countries didn't bail them out. The US has the biggest debt in the world.
It's also the only country in the world where there is racial segregation. The US police kills people just because of the colour of their skin. In the US, there's still death penalty which is illegal.
Murderers and people who don't support the government get locked up for life.
Putting someone in jail for more than 6 months, doesn't make sense. A murderer won't reoffend after 6 months but after longer than a year, he will reoffend as he will have noting to lose.

A weird bunch of weird thoughts :shock:

What does US have to do with prices in Peru? Nothing. I can hardly discuss any of your points without getting comical :cry:

Btw death penalty was introduced in EU by the Lissabon treaty. So be careful. In Peru there may be no death penalty but family of the victim eventually will murder you... so what.

I believe victims of crimes will not share your view of 6 month penalty being the max applicable penalty. And I'm sure you will change this view once you were victim of any serious crime - unless maybe you are a criminal itself :?
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby toughrider » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:03 pm

mrsteak wrote:I believe victims of crimes will not share your view of 6 month penalty being the max applicable penalty. And I'm sure you will change this view once you were victim of any serious crime - unless maybe you are a criminal itself :?

Jailing someone for a long time, won't benefit the victims of a crime. It will justify the criminal to come after them and teach them a lesson.
It will make the criminal the victim and the victim the criminal.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:32 pm

toughrider wrote:Jailing someone for a long time, won't benefit the victims of a crime. It will justify the criminal to come after them and teach them a lesson.
It will make the criminal the victim and the victim the criminal.

You have weird views. There are lot of cases where criminals are released after even long time in jail and next day they commit the next crime. Maybe it is good idea to condemn criminals to perpetual jail? Who knows. I personally would rather take justice into my own hands than let a criminal that did bad to my family walk around freely. Really.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register