Racism and misinformed people of Peru

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Racism and misinformed people of Peru

Postby tupacperu » Sat May 17, 2014 6:48 am

Not shocking because this is a globally held view of many countries. We've seen this on the international soccer
Competitions.
Racism..and misinformed people of Peru...#Sad
http://pocho.com/peru-cam-sure-were-mes ... cks-video/

SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Racism and misinformed people of Peru

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sat May 17, 2014 8:03 am

Unfortunatly i've heard this a lot in Peru, and i mean A LOT! I've also heard that westerners aren't very clean either.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sat May 17, 2014 5:55 pm

Wow... Well, I can't say I am surprised by this. I have heard similar comments from Peruvians about black people as well. Peru is a pretty racist country. The weird thing is that many Peruvians are even racists towards themselves. When I was walking around with my ex-novia random people would tell her how good it was that she was with a gringo so she could help "mejorar la raza" (improve the race)... :roll:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon May 19, 2014 3:27 pm

I have never seen or heard racism in Peru. But I noticed a lot of racism in Europe and the US.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue May 20, 2014 5:55 am

Funny, in my neighbourhood, there are signs posted in stores that discrimination is not allowed... except they are referring mostly to racism against cholos.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Tue May 20, 2014 5:30 pm

chi chi wrote:I have never seen or heard racism in Peru. But I noticed a lot of racism in Europe and the US.

There is racism just about everywhere really...

teamoperu wrote:Funny, in my neighbourhood, there are signs posted in stores that discrimination is not allowed... except they are referring mostly to racism against cholos.

When I went to Larcomar once I saw a sign posted next to the entrance to a disco that said the same "No discrimination allowed". However, that only happened after lots of "cholo" looking Peruvians where not allowed to enter there and the government had to take action. I have also heard of dark skinned foreigners being refused entry to these pituco discos because their skin was too dark.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Tue May 20, 2014 11:51 pm

chi chi wrote:I have never seen or heard racism in Peru. But I noticed a lot of racism in Europe and the US.

That shows how little of Peru you know; I recommend these articles

https://reflexionesperuanas.lamula.pe/2 ... speruanas/
http://publimetro.pe/entretenimiento/no ... peru-23143
Regards,

Argidd
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed May 21, 2014 6:29 am

"I have never seen or heard racism in Peru" So if some white gringo has never seen or heard it, then it doesn't exist? :shock: Too funny.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed May 21, 2014 7:28 am

teamoperu wrote:

"I have never seen or heard racism in Peru" So if some white gringo has never seen or heard it, then it doesn't exist? :shock: Too funny.

The talk of racism in Peru always brings back memories of this story, which I heard on one of my first visits here.
http://archive.peruthisweek.com/news-42 ... imination/
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed May 21, 2014 7:57 am

teamoperu wrote:

Sure it exists but it depends of where you live in Peru.

KenBE wrote:When I went to Larcomar once I saw a sign posted next to the entrance to a disco that said the same "No discrimination allowed". However, that only happened after lots of "cholo" looking Peruvians where not allowed to enter there and the government had to take action. I have also heard of dark skinned foreigners being refused entry to these pituco discos because their skin was too dark.

Nightclubs in Tarapoto are full of people with a dark skin color. I can't imagine that they would ever deny someone deny enter a nightclub because his or her skin is too dark.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Thu May 22, 2014 1:04 pm

chi chi wrote:Nightclubs in Tarapoto are full of people with a dark skin color. I can't imagine that they would ever deny someone deny enter a nightclub because his or her skin is too dark.

I was talking about the upper middle class/upper class discos in Lima. Of course the lower class/lower middle class discos aren't like that.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Thu May 22, 2014 1:18 pm

argidd wrote:

i just think it is weird that Peruvians are so racist towards the more amerindian looking Peruvians and the Serranos, when 99% of Peruvians have amerindian blood. And it isn't just in Peru, the same happens in other countries like Mexico, where most people are also mixed mestizos, yet they don't want to admit they have indigenous blood and they all want to be "blancos".
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu May 22, 2014 6:58 pm

I sometimes think the racism is tied in with classism in Peru. Unfortunatly education isn't available for a lot of people here and because of that you end up with a lot of people who lack manners and know how to behave appropriately.

I've heard people say "oh he/she is a cholo but a good cholo" because that person knows how to dress well and has good manners and the person is then treated equally. Also you can be a white foreigner and still be classed cholo because of your behaviour.

We have a lot of campaigns back home to help change or inform public thinking from the kick racism out of football promotions in the 70s and 80s to safety campaigns that scarred many a child for life during the 70s as these adverts were placed in between kids tv shows on a saturday morning. Would Peru greatly bebefit from these sort of campaigns? It's a tough life in Peru and i don't think many people get the chance or help to improve which leads to this big social gap which is starting to close.
MythoMan

Postby MythoMan » Sat May 24, 2014 7:41 pm

Great discussion.
Thanks for being willing to discuss.

I must own my own un-earned white male privilege.
I must also own my own internalized-oppression.
I'm learning to celebrate my own mixed-race heritage of all collors.

It is easy for me to disown my own mixed-race heritage due to my skin color.

Thanks for everyone's share.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon May 26, 2014 10:01 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/peru-tv-character ... MARS_QtDMD
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Mon May 26, 2014 10:17 pm

"I must own my own un-earned white male privilege"

Now i wonder what you mean by this...
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Tue May 27, 2014 10:00 am

KenBE wrote:
argidd wrote:

i just think it is weird that Peruvians are so racist towards the more amerindian looking Peruvians and the Serranos, when 99% of Peruvians have amerindian blood. And it isn't just in Peru, the same happens in other countries like Mexico, where most people are also mixed mestizos, yet they don't want to admit they have indigenous blood and they all want to be "blancos".

KenBE, it is very complicated.
If you are comfortable reading in Spanish, I recommend "Nos habíamos choleado tanto", by Jorge Bruce. He is a Psychoanalyst who does work on racism.
Regards,

Argidd
19naia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 19naia » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:00 pm

Its interesting when i consider where i lived in USA,that many White people are very much into the old native cultures of central and south america,very much drawn into the Natives history Mystique from having pyramids,Citadels of baffling architecture and much more that baffles even the most educated of modern scientists....I always think that they would really get a shock if they ended up mingling with the White people i do,they would quickly cringe with guilt and a wake up to how much they took for granted....Im a member of a website run by a white lady and all her family like that in USA,her web site is about the worlds food culture and shes fixated on Peru Natives and their Food Heritage which basically became adopted by Europe and America....America,irish- they call themselves historically Meat and Potato people..."potato" and the people it came from?
The Indians of south america gave medicines..every time Racist take an aspirin for their headache from dealing with those low life indians..The aspirin was discovered and shared by south americans indians and so is the quinine that brought malaria out of its incurability...The list of foods out of peru that stabilized and improved food culture in the world is amazing,real foods for real nutrition ..Beans,corn,cotton,leafy greens,grains.....
The lack of knowledge and just a gut impulse to compete and find an object to feel better about themselves over...The ungrateful usury is a moral deficiency from those who don't contribute other than an opinion and a consumers mouth that eats from them and speaks bad of them in the same moment of disgust...
I noticed in peru,black people of latin american decent were summed up in the standard way the natives were..and there was a better tolerance for Brazilian dark skinned people because of the mixed race features that can fade out distinctions to any one race....I often got referred to as Brazilian in peru because of my features and Moreno or negro and one time blackie..IN central and south america...
And i said little to reveal myself to people outside my focus...Once i became pegged for american,interest grew towards me but I'm so used to being interesting for prospect of my US dollar..And I'm so used to getting so little value and understanding back in return...In the end,i didn't have the stamina in my health to handle how central and south americans live,even the rich light skinned ones,cause i got sick too often from the level of tolerated filth and pollution...
I lived in Africa and when came back from africa to USA,i had more black americans make fun of me for coming from africa..I guessed they had an instilled shame of their african heritage...I had lived there and found nothing to be ashamed of even though i was born in Newyork...Ironically,it was a few white guys who showed real curiosity about my africa experience..And so they became my close friends at my new high-school after returning from africa decades ago..
Truth is ,i never really got into racist sides because my dad african black and my mom american white,and i saw racism in africa among people who were all black,all sides of the discrimination....They discriminated just like racism,but over tribal heritage and spoken language and religious practices....Other Irony is the European languages were adopted by the independent african nations to be a neutral national language where the run of the land was naturally a scattering of many different tribes speaking different languages and wanting self rule even to the point of Civil war...Thats the secret behind africas instabilty...The europeans carved it into nations with economic and strategic borders,then they had basically entrapped people of different languages and cultural practices to cooperate as one nation.....They cant speak to each other to understand,they grow up with different foods and proffessions and religious practices....So the end result is one tribes member winning national elections and the appointing offices to only his tribe members and making laws that match his culture and religion.....You can imagine the tension between Muslim northerners and the christian southerners..They make racial slurs and statements about certain tribes being genetically wired to be thieves,or aggressive brutes or stupid and so on....And all in all,they are all black africans...The same in Asia with singapore and others racism towards philippines and old fashioned Malaysians...Same in Europe as it were with the Irish,italians,Balkan and lots of wars with genocidic themes in Europe...India has its story too...

Nobody has to like another,but the haters ignorance is no excuse for justifying why and then further to take all the land and opportunity and leave the disliked or hated on the fringes to wither in what amounts to an indirect and subtle genocide....

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register