Tarapoto Barts

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
DC_20833

Tarapoto Barts

Postby DC_20833 » Tue May 20, 2014 3:22 am

teamoperu wrote:Pretty sure you have no idea what is the good life. I read somewhere that in Taramoto there are inconsiderate people who park their motorized bicycles right at the pedestrian cross walk because they are too cheap to give un solcito to the vigilente who looks after the rows and rows and rows of parked motorized bicycles there. Also read somewhere the real men there that make their wives give them massages every night. Why do I suspect that won't end well?

Taramoto - nicknamed the city of noisy motobicycles

If life is so good in Tarapoto as Chi Chi claims why does he spend his entire life here giving false information?

teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Living the good life in Peru

Postby teamoperu » Tue May 20, 2014 5:48 am

Alan wrote:
chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Yes, in addition to prepared food, Peru is abundant with wonderful fruits. Fresh squeezed OJ for 1 solcito. Yumm, fresh strawberry large juice 600 ml for 4 soles. Ripe mangos, juicy pineapples, cocona, lacuma – I noticed Starbuck has introduced a lacuma frappé. Maracujá... hmm, maracujá anything! In season, one can feast on fresh fruits at incedibly low prices.

Yep, all those fresh fruits grow in Tarapoto.

(the ''Estarbarts'' in Tarapoto has changed it's name. The owner told me that a few weeks ago, some gringo was making a scene and telling nonsense that he was was working for this and that and that he will sue the ''estarbarts'' in Tarapoto if they don't change the name. He claimed to have connections with Starbucks.
ha ha ha, the owner told me that they pretended to take that gringo serious because he looked like he was under the influence of cocaine, heroine or some other drug and might hassle staff or assault customers. The idea to change the name was there before that drugged gringo came because they considered the name ''Estarbarts'' confusing and difficult for some people to remember. So, last week I drove past the place and the name has been changed to ''STARBUCS''. Also they staff has given exactly the same uniforms as the real Starbucks does. There are sofás and carpet put in the place and a serving counter almost identically as in Starbucks.)

Too bad. "Starbarts Cafue" was clever and borderline, but "Starbucs" is a rip off and downright malicious. It won´t last. The real Starbucks has a presence in Peru and is expanding. I give it a couple months. Please keep us posted.

Alan, you should know better.
Attachments
P1000136.JPG
P1000136.JPG (109.81 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
P1000263.JPG
P1000263.JPG (83.63 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue May 20, 2014 10:24 am

teamoperu wrote:

You are right. I was taken over by the clever use of the word "cajue" (which, for those of you who have not visited the sierra or selva, is the way many Peruvians there pronounce the word "cafe"). A funny and insolent cry from the jungle against an encroaching multinational, but yeah... rip offs are a slippery slope and plain wrong. I repent!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue May 20, 2014 1:52 pm

DC_20833 wrote:I have my fits with Starbucks here I go and I enjoy it and then get fed up with it. The locations here are not well kept go visit the one in Larcomar the carpet is disgusting and their credit/debit card machine never seems to be working. They always blame it on the company that handles their credit/debit card transactions I personally believe they want to save the fee. The Lucuma Smoothie is great but OMG the calories. For real coffee I usually go to News Cafe or Cafe San Antonio. Amazing what branding will do for a average product.

Café Plaza is one of the best places in Peru to have a snack, coffee, tea, cake, etc.
Their cheescake de maracuyá and pie de uvas is excellent. Very friendly staff, good service and free WI-FI.

The assortment of cakes and other snacks at Starbucks is very limited. The worst is that the charge a lot of money and still serve their drinks in plastic cups and give plastic cutlery. On top of that, they don't serve the drinks at your table. You have to stand in line at the counter to make your order and then stand in line at the other side of the counter to wait for your drink being prepared.

The only Starbucks that's doing it right is the one at Brussels Airport. They use nice cups and have waitresses that take your order and serve your drink at your table. They do well now. Before that they were like the other Starbucks and almost went bust.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue May 20, 2014 10:07 pm

Alan wrote:
teamoperu wrote:

You are right. I was taken over by the clever use of the word "cajue" (which, for those of you who have not visited the sierra or selva, is the way many Peruvians there pronounce the word "cafe"). A funny and insolent cry from the jungle against an encroaching multinational, but yeah... rip offs are a slippery slope and plain wrong. I repent!

Nope, not what I meant. Alan, you should know better than let yet another good thread get derailed into yet another misinformation source about Taramoto, the city known by some as the hot sweaty armpit of Peru.

And Alan, you should know better than to believe... well, here is the story so far. A new cafe was opened recently and the owner went to the expense of designing, fabricating and installing an expensive sign, a sign that was a clever clone of Starbucks – Tarapoto Barts Cajue - yes clever and likely not illegal enough for someone official to venture into the humidity and heat of the jungle to worry about. Then magically “the ''Estarbarts'' in Tarapoto has changed it's name”. Well, Tarapoto Barts sign is still there (as of a week or so ago) and I never saw it called Estarbarts. Then we hear some drugged up gringo made a fuss, but the owners were polite in ignoring him, ignoring him so much that they changed the name, according to Sir Chi Chi from Surchiche, to ''STARBUCS''. Hence they changed name to be even more close to the infringement line! Really? From Tarapoto Barts, to Estarbarts, and then Starbucs, all in a few months. None of which I saw and I have a posted a recent picture. The cafe never has many clients when I went by but clearly they are rolling in the money to be able to keep changing their name and hence their expensive sign. What would be the use of changing your name and not your catchy sign? Or is it a name change in the imagination but not in the reality of signage? Or maybe there is some confusion.

It is clearly a profound mystery, millions are impatiently sitting on the edge of their chairs waiting for Sir Chi Chi to post a picture of the new STARBUCS sign there, so we can compare. Maybe he can, maybe he can't. I'll bet you a china cup (which you can get at Starbucks if you are not cheap) or even a recyclable cup (which Starbucks promotes instead of paper cups).
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:25 am

Well, the Tarapoto Barts Cajue sign is still there. Nary a sign of Estarbarts or STARBUCS or anything else. The tale told still remains a mystery. Millions are waiting at the edge of their chair for the confusion to be cleared or for a pic to show the tale told is true.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tarapoto Barts

Postby Alan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:28 am

Good point. I split the posts..
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:09 pm

I quite like the Taraporto Barts logo, i don't think Starbucks will be able to complain too much as there would be about 20 english football teams who could say Starbucks based their logo on their football crests with the circular name section with the stars or other item to the side.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:34 pm

I drove past it today and indeed they changed it again to Tarapoto Barts Cajue. The Starbucs was shortlived.

I have seen many places here changing their name.

McDonaghs which includes the yellow famous M sign disappeared some time ago.

El Makkako as well.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:45 am

chi chi wrote:I drove past it today and indeed they changed it again to Tarapoto Barts Cajue. The Starbucs was shortlived...

Yeah, riiiight. LOL Well, I'm calling your entire story fictional until you provide even a shred of evidence to the contrary. Why do you have to make up stories? I've shown, with pictures, almost everything you have said about Taramoto is false, an exaggeration and now total fabrication! And if you are making up stories about Taramoto, what other tall tales are you telling on the other posts?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:41 pm

teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:I drove past it today and indeed they changed it again to Tarapoto Barts Cajue. The Starbucs was shortlived...

Yeah, riiiight. LOL Well, I'm calling your entire story fictional until you provide even a shred of evidence to the contrary. Why do you have to make up stories? I've shown, with pictures, almost everything you have said about Taramoto is false, an exaggeration and now total fabrication! And if you are making up stories about Taramoto, what other tall tales are you telling on the other posts?

Tarapoto is a very safe and clean city to live and still affordable too. The city is surrounded by beautifull mountains and unspoilt countryside.
The city is growing fast and more and more people are moving here. The brandnew EsSalud hospital openend it's doors last week and the second cinema with shopping centre will be completed soon as well.

I know many expats that live here and are very happy here. YOU are the only one who's complaining.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:16 pm

teamoperu wrote:

That was my initial reaction as well - Yeah, riiiight. Had any other member here said they drove past the sign and it was changed back I would accept them at their word. Unfortunately, chi chi's credibility is so low that I automatically assume what he says is misinformation, even though the possibility exists that he is giving accurate information, which I sometimes believe he does. The problem is, how to tell what is accurate amongst all the lies/misinformation. So many posts are questioned by several people for accuracy and so many requests for a credible source go unanswered; flat out ignored as if he never made the statement being questioned. It's a shame because this forum should be place for people to find accurate information for their questions about Peru. I can't believe chi chi continues to post this misinformation, fails to back up what he says, and most incredibly, seems to have zero concern for how he is perceived when it comes to his credibility. If as many people were questioning the accuracy of my information on such a regular basis as they do chi chi, I would be providing the source of my information/opinion or explain that it is a subjective (chocolate is better than vanilla) opinion if that were the case. I can't help but think these types of posts are just cries for attention.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:25 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:

Tarapoto is a very safe and clean city to live and still affordable too. The city is surrounded by beautifull mountains and unspoilt countryside.
The city is growing fast and more and more people are moving here. The brandnew EsSalud hospital openend it's doors last week and the second cinema with shopping centre will be completed soon as well.

I know many expats that live here and are very happy here. YOU are the only one who's complaining.

Too funny. I basically accuse you of an outright lie and you respond by displacement activity* to deflect the stressor. But I can keep my eye on the target – why do you feel it necessary to continually make up stories?

*(In biology, "displacement activity" is when a animal is put under stress and the animal responds by an unrelated inappropriate action, in your case, providing propaganda totally unrelated to the issue... followed by a childish personal attack).
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:18 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:

“Tarapoto is a very safe” No it isn't, it is no more safe or unsafe than any city of its size. My friend was robbed leaving the bus station. At least they give free haircuts to robbers. A bit barbaric, but what would you expect from a frontier town like Taramoto.

http://www.panamericana.pe/24horas/naci ... ya-celular

“The city is growing fast” Every city in Peru is growing fast, so what?

“The brandnew EsSalud hospital openend it's doors last week”” Last week? Humala opened it April 20th! But is really isn't a good news story:

http://www.panamericana.pe/panorama/nac ... to-essalud

“the second cinema with shopping centre will be completed soon as well.” They are building the cinema – wooop wooop. But the shopping centre (woop woop) is still questionable when.

Wow. What a city, a modest (unready) hospital and a second cinema – what more could a person ask? That is if you could hear the other person over the noise of 25000 motos and actually use the hospital to recover from all the pollution. Of course, in the hospital you sweat like an armpit because (the needed) air conditioning doesn't work, it floods, the roof leaks, and the drugs are not kept in cool conditions.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:22 am

Had a nice coffee at Tarapoto Barts. Nice patio with some greenery, off a quieter street. I asked them about chichi's claim they changed their name several times and once because a crazy gringo was yelling about their name. They categorically deny they ever changed their name and have no recollection of the chichi incident. Even if it had happened (apparently not) they didn't change their name, so story isn't true. I doubt they are pathological liars (definition below).

What Is a Pathological Liar?
A pathological liar lies compulsively and impulsively, almost without thinking about the consequences of his action. He lies regularly on a spontaneous basis even if he gains no benefit from it, or even if he traps himself into it. A pathological liar cannot control his impulse to lie and it is usually a self-defeating trait.

Consider whether the person is lying to gain attention. Part of the reason the pathological liar feels compelled to lie is because he or she may feel as though being in the spotlight has eluded them. This person feels that he or she should be the center of everyone’s universe and will do what he or she can to make it happen. Upon tasting the spotlight, it becomes self-reinforcing and the lies grow bigger each time just to keep on being the center of attention. Here are some possibilities:
Feels bored. Unfortunately, because this person’s life is not rooted in reality, he or she may become easily bored if drama is not swirling around his or her head. As a result, lies may be fabricated in order to amuse or entertain this person, which unfortunately means that other people become involved and possibly hurt as a result.”
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:03 am

teamoperu wrote:Had a nice coffee at Tarapoto Barts. Nice patio with some greenery, off a quieter street.

I thought that someone of your social status would rather hang out at Doña Zuly at the other side of the road. Tarapoto Barts is for plebs.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:59 am

Oh, I quite like Tarapoto Barts... and plebs. But now that you mention pathological untruths, I recall you posting in another thread that

“If money isn't a problema then head for La Colmena in Tarapoto. One of the best restaurants in the world. Just make sure that your wallet is bulging with cash so you can pay the bill.... the view from the restaurant is amazing. It has a view of the valley and mountains. The restaurant is nice too. Walls made of wood and the roof is made of palmleaves.”

This is entirely untrue! Been there. It is a small neighbourhood bar, with local drunks, and no view whatsoever... and no need for a bulging wallet:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24721&p=130125&hilit=Colmena#p130125
Attachments
P1050667-002.JPG
P1050667-002.JPG (91.67 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
P1050666-002.JPG
P1050666-002.JPG (92.92 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TShadow » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:04 pm

Interesting @teamoperu.

Now we only need to know if chi chi is real. Maybe you can find that out too.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:55 pm

Maybe chi chi's talking about a different La Colmena? Since chi chi lives in Tarapoto maybe he would snap a few photos of the La Colmena that has the roof made of palm fronds and the amazing view and post them here? You'd think "One of the best restaurants in the world" would be highly rated by TripAdvisor, but of the 35 restaurants listed under Tarapoto, La Colmena isn't even mentioned. You'd think they'd have a website or some online presence but a Google search turned up doughnuts. Maybe chi chi has a different idea of what makes a restaurant one of the best in the world? Based on his idea of what constitutes a breathtaking view and the pictures of Café Plaza I'm thinking chi chi is living in his own world.

As an aside, TripAdvisor has Estarbarts Cajue listed as the top restaurant in Tarapoto.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:41 pm

ironchefchris wrote:As an aside, TripAdvisor has Estarbarts Cajue listed as the top restaurant in Tarapoto.

It's not a restaurant. It's like a Starbucks but with good table service and no papercups but real cups.

At the moment, the best restaurants in Tarapoto are:

Limon y Aji. A seafood restaurant. Professionally trained waiters attend the customers. Huge portions.

Café del Mundo. Probably the best pizzas in Peru. Very stylish place with first class service.

El Rincón Sureña. Best meat in town. Spanish decor and again waiting staff is very profesional. Don't forget to bring a doggy bag. Steaks are even bigger than in Texas.

Doña Zuly. (similar too El Rincón. Same owner.)
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Why no mention of La Colmena, "one of the best restaurants in the world" in your last post? No photos of the place at all doing a Google images search. Odd for such a renowned restaurant. When can we expect you to post photos of the breathtaking views and palm frond roof?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:06 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Why no mention of La Colmena, "one of the best restaurants in the world" in your last post? No photos of the place at all doing a Google images search. Odd for such a renowned restaurant. When can we expect you to post photos of the breathtaking views and palm frond roof?

I drove past that place yesterday. It's gone downhill. It was used to be a nice place. It probably changed owner.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:21 pm

LOL
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Makes sense for the new owner to get rid of the nice palm frond roof for the one shown in the photo. Bet the new owner did away with the amazing view of the valley and mountains as well.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register