Now wash your hands!

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Now wash your hands!

Postby chi chi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:40 pm

ty.png
ty.png (53.92 KiB) Viewed 640 times

When out of your home, it's not always easy to wash your hands as many public toilets and toilets in restaurants, shops and bars lack soap. towels and often...wáter.

Many people travel by combi, hold on to those handrails that are attached to the ceiling, then grab for loose change in their pocket, get change from the cobrador who's hands are obviously very dirty, touch the doorknob at the restaurant and...then starting eating with their hands a burger at the MAC or Bembos. :shock:

Washing your hands is another challenge. At shopping centres, chain restaurants and some other places, you find toilets that do have soap, wáter and paper towels or automatic hand dryers...but after washing your hands you have to open the door to get out of the toilet and that doorknob has been touched by loads of people who didn't wash their hands after using ''the jacks''.

What I do is the following: if the toilet is busy, then after washing my hands I wait till someone else walks in or out the toilet and try to run out before the door closes.
If there's no-one else then I open the door with a piece of toilet paper or handtowel.

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Now wash your hands!

Postby caliguy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:50 pm

man, can i relate to this. i feel like i'm becoming a mysophobia. going to exteme measures to avoid touching objects. one thing in particular is examining my plate and silverware before eating.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:14 pm

caliguy wrote:going to exteme measures to avoid touching objects.

I never sit on a toilet seat. I hoover over it when using the jacks.

Travelling by air is another disgusting thing.
And I speak from experience as I have worked as a flight attendant in the past.

Very rarely, traytables get cleaned on aircrafts. And if they get cleaned, then the same wipe is used for the whole aircraft. As aircraft cleaners start from the front and the back of the aircraft and work towards the middle, they first clean the toilets in the front and in the back and often use the same wipe they used to clean the toilet for cleaning the traytables.
Armrests, seatbuckles and seatpockets never get cleaned.
On shorter flights, few airlines give meals nowadays so many passengers buy a sándwich at the airport or take one from home but during take off, they stick it in the seatpocket. ...without realising it that loads of dirty nappies, used paper napkins full of snot and vomit bags have been stuck in there before.

Many people take their shoes of during the flight. You don't want to know what's all living in aircraft carpets. Same with cloth aircraft seats. It would be better to put hard plastic seats like the ones on most buses in Lima on aircrafts because they are cleaner.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:24 pm

I read a novel years ago, about a guy who had his family killed by terrorists in Belfast I believe. To get them back, he infected US currency with a highly contagious disease. He then sent them the cash as a donation. The plague only kills the female side of the population. I think it is called The White Plague by Frank Herbert. Not trying to get any of you mysophobes going, but think about it next time your combi or taxi guy makes change for the ten sole bill you handed him. Where has the coin or bill been? :) Herbert is an excellent author by the way.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:49 pm

ChiChi.. this is by far the best topic I have seen you bring up! and an excellent question as well. We always carry around small bottles of the hand sanitizer (we buy a big bottle at Makro and then dispense that into smaller sized travel bottles to carry with us).
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:47 am

Did someone mention "hovering?" :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/1 ... 00416.html

I know this is not an issue in most places in Lima. They don't have the liners, much less seats! Well some of the chains have seats in their toilets. But .. When I first came to Lima I was surprised by the lack of seats.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:01 am

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:08 pm

chi chi wrote:I never sit on a toilet seat. I hoover over it when using the jacks.

may as well just do away with the traditional toilet and install a chinese toilet. (would be easier on your legs) :lol:
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:53 pm

I am a fan of the French toilets.

Does anyone here sits on a toilet seat in a public toilet?

And how do you open the door when leaving the toilet? You just open it with your bare hand and then go back to your table to keep muching your burger with your bare hands at the Mac or Burger King?

The Mc Excrement is born.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register