Subway and Domino's pizza in Tarapoto

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Subway and Domino's pizza in Tarapoto

Postby chi chi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:15 pm

Subway and Domino's Pizza will be opening soon at the new movie theatre in Tarapoto.

They will for sure have to charge much lower prices than in Lima if they want to survive.

Subway won´t be able to charge 10 soles for a sándwich in Tarapoto. Nobody will pay that. At the mercados, you can eat a nice sándwich for 2.50 soles.

Las Cañastas has allready a restaurant in Tarapoto. Although being the cleanest and nicest pollería, they struggle to get people through the door because they charge the same prices as in Lima. Even during the weekend, they are almost empty.
16.00 soles for a cuarto de pollo? Whilst there are other pollerías that only charge 7.50 for a cuarto de pollo.

sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Subway and Domino's pizza in Tarapoto

Postby sbaustin » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:21 pm

I rarely see people in the Subways in Lima, I'm not sure how that chain survives here.

Domino's is another story, pizza has such low overhead and costs and the ones I've seen are usually busy.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:14 pm

In Trujillo both Papa John's and especially Pizza Hut are extremely successful. There were several times when I went to the Pizza Hut in the Real Plaza mall and it was completely full, there were no more tables available. Peruvians seem to love pizza.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:31 am

sbaustin wrote:I rarely see people in the Subways in Lima, I'm not sure how that chain survives here.

They survive because those chains have several outlets that make a loss but most their outlets make a profit.

When I am at Lima airport, the Mac and the pizza joint are always busy but again I have seen few people at Subway.

They should add more fat and calories to their sándwiches. Probably that will it make more attractive for most Peruvians. :lol:

When I flew for an airline in Ireland, I often had to fly to Cork Airport and had a long turnaround so I sneeked into Subways because they gave airport staff a discount but the first time I visted Subways, it appeared strange to me. You have to select the bread you want, the size, then what you want on it and then sauces.

I am used to take a fully prepared sándwich off the shelf at a gasstation or the airport deli.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:37 am

Domino's is the worse pizza I ever had. I would never waste another centimo at that place.

Subways though is always great but I am surprised it is the same price as the UK and there are never any vouchers or offers (apart from the sub of the day).
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:03 am

I think you guys are being far too kind calling what Domino's and Papa John's sells as 'pizza.' I'm amazed they can survive in New York which is known for it's excellent pizza. Why go to one of those chains when you can spend the same amount for a real pizza a locally owned Italian-American pizzeria? It's like being in Mexico and going to Taco Bell instead of a local taco stand.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:43 pm

ironchefchris wrote:I think you guys are being far too kind calling what Domino's and Papa John's sells as 'pizza.' I'm amazed they can survive in New York which is known for it's excellent pizza. Why go to one of those chains when you can spend the same amount for a real pizza a locally owned Italian-American pizzeria? It's like being in Mexico and going to Taco Bell instead of a local taco stand.

True, but it is pretty much the only pizza you can find in Peru, especially in the provincias. I agree that authentic pizza made by Italians is much better, but Pizza Hut/Papa John's is ok as well.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:51 pm

I guess I could see a lack of authentic Italian food, but here in Arequipa there's a handful of good pizza joints using wood-fired ovens. The best pizza and Italian I've had in Peru was in Máncora, but it makes sense being a tourist town. I'm sorry but Domino's and Papa John's are to pizza what cheese whiz is to cheese. Joking around once some friends and I came up with the idea to put Brie cheese in a can with a little plastic Eiffel Tower dispenser on top and call it 'Brie Whiz.'
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:51 pm

ironchefchris wrote:I guess I could see a lack of authentic Italian food, but here in Arequipa there's a handful of good pizza joints using wood-fired ovens. The best pizza and Italian I've had in Peru was in Máncora, but it makes sense being a tourist town. I'm sorry but Domino's and Papa John's are to pizza what cheese whiz is to cheese. Joking around once some friends and I came up with the idea to put Brie cheese in a can with a little plastic Eiffel Tower dispenser on top and call it 'Brie Whiz.'

I have never seen truly authentic Italian-style pizza in Peru. I went to a couple of "Italian" restuarants in Chimbote and Trujillo but the pizza they made there, while ok, wasn't anything like the pizza you can find here in Belgium in pizzerías run by Italians.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:55 pm

All this talk made my mouth water for a pizza. So I went to the Colonnade for one of their Mediterranean pizzas. A real Italian restaurant and their Med pizza is the best. And they cook it and do the dishes unlike cooking at home. Whats for dinner tonight in Taramoto, apparently not pizza?
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:10 pm

All this talk of pizza and Italian food has me thinking I'm taking the wife out tonight to a local pizzeria that actually has recently changed ownership/management (for the better!) where half the staff are Italians and the food is delicious.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:20 pm

Cafe Del Mundo in Tarapoto has authentic Italian pizza's baked in a woodfired oven. The owner is Italian. He also owns the famous La Castilla De Lamas.

The chains in Peru mainly sell large family size pizzas.

Some don't taste too bad when they just came out of the oven but after a few minutes, the base tastes like cardboard and the cheese like plastic.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register