chains

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

chains

Postby chi chi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:37 am

Chain restaurants are popping up all over Peru.

The Mac, TGIF, Chillis, Subway, Burger King, Longhorn and off course the whole range of pizza joints.

Do you visit them and what do you think of them? Do you think they disrupt the Peruvian food places?

Personally, I visit them so now and then. I consider them too pricy for Peruvian standards. Especially the pizza joints but I never visit them because I prepare pizza at home ''without cheese''.
There's important reason for not putting cheese on the pizza.

Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: chains

Postby Lloyd007 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:23 pm

chi chi wrote:There's important reason for not putting cheese on the pizza.

Please tell us the important reason, Chi Chi.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:15 pm

Lloyd007 wrote:
chi chi wrote:There's important reason for not putting cheese on the pizza.

Please tell us the important reason, Chi Chi.

My gf doesn't like cheese.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:12 am

"You would never break the chain" :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpVCL00fPAc
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:55 pm

I visit them quite a bit, when I feel homesick and want a taste of the US. My wife does the same when we are in the US, visiting Peruvian places, although granted those are not typically 'chains'.

Of course a person in TGI Fridays would have otherwise gone to a local restaurant, and that 'hurts' a local restaurant, but that's competition. It's a free market economy, and economists generally agree that international free trade is net positive for all parties involved.

But in any case a lot of those chains are franchised and so can be (but may not be, I don't know) part-owned by Peruvians. Not to mention staffed by Peruvians and receiving Peruvian meat and produce for their dishes. So even if you go to McDonalds it's not like all is going to the US and none goes to Peru.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register