Citibank Credit card

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Citibank Credit card

Postby captcosmic » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:00 am

Does any US expats out there have a US based Citibank visa or master card? Can you make payments at a Citibank "agencia" in Lima to pay the card off while here? Do you have an account (checking or savings) that you can withdrawal and deposit both here and in the US? Thanks!

Udo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Citibank Credit card

Postby Udo » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:46 am

Yes, I have one, and my mother has a U.S. Citibank account. Went to Citibank branch in Trujillo and was told there is absolutely no relation between U.S. Citibank and Citi Peru. Couldn't receive a wire, interact with U.S. credit card account, etc.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:04 pm

Udo wrote:Yes, I have one, and my mother has a U.S. Citibank account. Went to Citibank branch in Trujillo and was told there is absolutely no relation between U.S. Citibank and Citi Peru. Couldn't receive a wire, interact with U.S. credit card account, etc.

Sounds like CITIBANK in every country operates like a different country.

I was used to have a CITIBANK account in Belgium and had a hard time to open one when I moved to the UK. I thought it would have been easy to open an account with them in the UK as I allready have one in Belgium. But CITIBANK UK told me that they are a different company than CITIBANK Belgium.

When I was travelling in the US, I went to a CITIBANK branch in New York and wanted to do a few simple transactions but it wasn't posible. CITIBANK US wasn't even able to look my account details as ''I wasn't a customer.''
zepol96
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby zepol96 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:29 am

All Citibank operations (around the world) are not the same but all Citi organizations are related very much like stepchildren in a family. Citi operations conform to the local as well as the international banking regulations. With a US based account you can only perform ATM withdrawals (checking and savings) in US $ or local money. The local Citi will not take your deposits or payments for US accounts. You must login to your US account to perform deposit/payment/tranfers which means you can move money from other Citi or non-Citi accounts. The US Citi website will allow you to register your foreign Citi acct (if you have one) and display a global view of all your accounts.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:27 pm

Thanks everyone! Glad I did not send the wife down to Citibank to argue with them. :)

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register