Anyone from the coffee generation?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anyone from the coffee generation?

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:26 am

I'm on my third cup this morning. I'm movin' and shakin'. I've dreamt it and I'm ready to do it! Any other coffee achievers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9BEb0Wmb_I

captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Anyone from the coffee generation?

Postby captcosmic » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:52 pm

I mix it up. Coffee in the morning at about 6 after I arrive at work. Then I do the Dew at about 9. Another Dew or ice tea at lunch. Then a cup of coffee at about 2 to push me through the day till dinner. :lol:
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:17 pm

Five cups a day, me. One Juan Valdez cappuccino and four from the dripulator. Except mondays when I have two in Cafe Verde, one at Juan valdez and two at home. Never have a problem sleeping either. I do however, start the day at breakfast with tea sweetened with honey. This is also good in the evening and can help you to sleep.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:24 pm

I have had as many as 4 pots of coffee/day .... I remember a few times I couldn't sleep .... then I would make some coffee, have a cup, and would quickly fall into a blissful sleep!
Last edited by MarcoPE on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:53 pm

My brother's ex used to pound coffee all day. Around 10:30 at night she'd put on the last pot for the day. Never had any sleeping problems. I'll sometimes take a late afternoon nap after coffee. I usually try to limit my coffee intake to the mornings, switch to black or green tea in the afternoon, herbal tea or mate de coca at night. I need to get back on my yerba mate routine but can't see myself giving up the joy that is the juice of the bean.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:26 am

A few just in the morning to get it going... but with Baileys (or Peruvian equivalent). Yummy.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:51 pm

3 cups spread out between the hours of 7am-10am with a hearty breakfast. then another 2 cups in the afternoon as a booster.
Tony, looks like you're really into coffee. what's the going $ for 250 gr. of Juan Valdez now?
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:49 pm

Only enough coffee left in the boka pot to make 3/4 of a cup for my early afternoon cup. That last vacant 1/4 just looked off so I added some café najar (the local Arequipa version of Kahlua) to make things right. It's gotta be 5 o'clock somewhere. Tasty.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:14 pm

I think all coffee lovers gather in this place.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.pe/Restauran ... egion.html

I personally don't drink coffee. It makes me nervous and sleepy.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:19 am

chi chi wrote:I think all coffee lovers gather in this place.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.pe/Restauran ... egion.html

I personally don't drink coffee. It makes me nervous and sleepy.

Considering you seem to be a fearful/paranoid person afraid of 7 year old hit men, gay prostitutes, Pizza Street, every girl spiking your drink, Parque Kennedy, Miraflores, Lima in general, boogeymen behind every corner, a little dirt on the wall, tierra in general, ethnic restaurants, indigenous cultures and their practices, anything non-European based, etc., etc., it's probably for the best if you don't drink coffee if it were to make you even more nervous than you already are. Or stick to decaf.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:38 am

ironchefchris wrote:
chi chi wrote:I personally don't drink coffee. It makes me nervous and sleepy.

Considering you seem to be a fearful/paranoid person afraid of 7 year old hit men, gay prostitutes, Pizza Street, every girl spiking your drink, Parque Kennedy, Miraflores, Lima in general, boogeymen behind every corner, a little dirt on the wall, tierra in general, ethnic restaurants, indigenous cultures and their practices, anything non-European based, etc., etc., it's probably for the best if you don't drink coffee if it were to make you even more nervous than you already are. Or stick to decaf.

Ironchefs, it sounds like you drunk too much coffee yourself before you write this post. You should stick to hot chocolate topped with whipped cream. :?
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:18 am

Weekends we make hot chocolate for breakfast so I'll be adding it, instead of water, to my coffee concentrate. I usually take my coffee black, no sugar, but chocolate and coffee go so well together. My phobia is called cremeolatowippedsotaphobia. It's the irrational (?) fear of whipped cream. The stuff terrifies me. I'm okay with Miraflores, ethnic restaurants and culture, etc., though. As long as there's no whipped cream involved. :lol:
Last edited by ironchefchris on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomasb » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:25 am

I assume no one reading this topic drinks Nescafé? What do you make of this odd Chilean practice? When I go to Chile, it is very difficult to find real coffee as most restaurants and hotels only offer Nescafé. The same appears true at Chileans homes. Sure, they don't grow coffee in Chile but coffee growing countries are on their borders.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:57 am

Nescafé? Only in emergencies when there is no coffee, and even then I'll more likely drink black tea. I find that most Peruvian (and Latino) households, hotels, and businesses serve Nescafé instead of "real" coffee, but prefer tea. So much good coffee grown here but most of its' exported instead of consumed. I'm doing my part to turn Peruvians onto the real deal that grows in their back yard.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register