Chifas and your stomach. split from: Ayahuasca--Safe?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Chifas and your stomach. split from: Ayahuasca--Safe?

Postby panman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:45 am

I've said this before. If you want to experience something that causes you to sweat profusely, hallucinate, gives you diarrhea and makes you sit with your head down the toilet for several hours, then just eat Anticuchos from one of the many street vendors in Lima. :lol:

panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ayahuasca--Safe?

Postby panman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:09 pm

chi chi wrote:
panman wrote:I've said this before. If you want to experience something that causes you to sweat profusely, hallucinate, gives you diarrhea and makes you sit with your head down the toilet for several hours, then just eat Anticuchos from one of the many street vendors in Lima. :lol:

You can experience the same after eating at some Chifas and cheap menú places.

There’s a chifa on Jr Tacna in Magdalena called Fu Hua.
Every time I see it and say the name to myself, I'm put off going in, as it makes me think of the sound you might end up making, if the food's bad.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:06 am

panman wrote:There’s a chifa on Jr Tacna in Magdalena called Fu Hua.
Every time I see it and say the name to myself, I'm put off going in, as it makes me think of the sound you might end up making, if the food's bad.

Actually, it's one of the best Chifas I've found in Lima. Although the name of the place doesn't raise your apetite.
The owner of chifa Fu Hua also owns Chifa Capon at the Plaza in Magdalena and he owns the Market Capon as well. Prices are democratic and the food is excellent.

https://es.foursquare.com/v/chifa-fu-hu ... 40fa7b2198
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:06 am

panman wrote:There’s a chifa on Jr Tacna in Magdalena called Fu Hua.

Actually, it's one of the best Chifas I've found in Lima. Although the name of the place doesn't raise your apetite.
The owner of chifa Fu Hua also owns Chifa Capon at the Plaza in Magdalena and he owns the Market Capon as well. Prices are democratic and the food is excellent.

https://es.foursquare.com/v/chifa-fu-hu ... 40fa7b2198
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:09 am

chi chi wrote:
panman wrote:I've said this before. If you want to experience something that causes you to sweat profusely, hallucinate, gives you diarrhea and makes you sit with your head down the toilet for several hours, then just eat Anticuchos from one of the many street vendors in Lima. :lol:

LoL! I almost always got that "experience" after eating at Chifas in Peru... :D
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:32 am

KenBE wrote:
chi chi wrote:

"Almost always"? Maybe you are confusing restaurants in Peru with restaurants in Belgium. Maybe the chifas in Belgium are using monosodium glucamate?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:20 pm

Or head for La Calle de las Pizzas and get your drink spiked by the bricheras. :lol:
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:39 pm

chi chi wrote:

Or head for La Calle de las Pizzas and get your drink spiked by the bricheras. :lol:

Only you would know, you are clearly the most experienced expert on bricheras in Pizza perversity. The rest of us can only dream to know what you know about the mythical shady underworld there.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:33 pm

teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:

Only you would know, you are clearly the most experienced expert on bricheras in Pizza perversity. The rest of us can only dream to know what you know about the mythical shady underworld there.

I don't talk to bricheras. I have my gf. But I have met several gringos that got burned by a brichera.
They arrived in Lima and after having 'a few brews' they ended up in a bar in Pizza Avenue in Miraflores and 'got swarmed by girls'. :lol:
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:09 pm

teamoperu wrote:
KenBE wrote:
chi chi wrote:

"Almost always"? Maybe you are confusing restaurants in Peru with restaurants in Belgium. Maybe the chifas in Belgium are using monosodium glucamate?

Hey, no need to be rude... I was just kidding/exaggerating. It is somewhat true though. Chifas are not always the cleanest and they often gave me diarrhea. The food is great though.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:44 pm

KenBE wrote:It is somewhat true though. Chifas are not always the cleanest and they often gave me diarrhea. The food is great though.

Then keep out of Bananas as well. I got sick there.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Chifas and your stomach. split from: Ayahuasca--Safe?

Postby chi chi » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:50 am

KenBE wrote:Chifas are not always the cleanest and they often gave me diarrhea. The food is great though.

Chinese and Indian restaurants don't have a good reputation when it comes to hygiene and cleanliness.
All Asian restaurants actually.

Often the área where the customers sit is clean and has nice decor and nice furniture but the kitchen is a dump. Rats, cockroaches, mice, flies...The average Chinese or Indian restaurant has more species of animals living in it than a zoo.
Dirty fridgeses, cooking utensils, outdated food and not stowing food at the right temperature is common.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... chens.html
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:41 pm

chi chi wrote: The average Chinese or Indian restaurant has more species of animals living in it than a zoo.

:lol: that restaurant is just gross!
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:57 pm

caliguy wrote:
chi chi wrote: The average Chinese or Indian restaurant has more species of animals living in it than a zoo.

:lol: that restaurant is just gross!

The problem is, if you'd only read the Tripadvisor reviews before it was closed, you might have actually gone :lol:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant ... gland.html
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:04 pm

chi chi wrote:
KenBE wrote:Chifas are not always the cleanest and they often gave me diarrhea. The food is great though.

Chinese and Indian restaurants don't have a good reputation when it comes to hygiene and cleanliness.
All Asian restaurants actually.

Often the área where the customers sit is clean and has nice decor and nice furniture but the kitchen is a dump. Rats, cockroaches, mice, flies...The average Chinese or Indian restaurant has more species of animals living in it than a zoo.
Dirty fridgeses, cooking utensils, outdated food and not stowing food at the right temperature is common.

"The average Chinese or Indian restaurant has more species of animals living in it than a zoo." Well, I do not know about Belgium or England, perhaps, but in Peru I do not believe this to be a true statement. Do you have proof, or do you just slander all Idian and Chinese restaurants broad brush?
Last edited by teamoperu on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:56 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:" Well, I do not know about Belgium or England, perhaps, but in Peru I do not believe this to be a true statement. Do you have proof, or do you just slander all Italian and Chinese restaurants broad brush?

Italian restaurants? I never mentioned Italian restaurants.

I'll correct that. You slandered all Indian and Chinese restaurants.. but are you referring to just unsanitary Chinese and Indian restaurants in Belgium or worldwide? Any proof or do you just like defaming Eastern people generally?
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:56 am

Has anyone else regularly heard Peruvians say that the Chinese are filthy? I've heard this quite a few times here and it makes me wonder if this not very politically correct view has come from the hygiene standards from the Chifas. It has also been reinforced by the fact that the take aways back home that always got shut down due to health and safety were the Chinese ones.

I have worked a few take away restaurant jobs and despite what chichi says they were always clean. Obviously there is the exception and the chinese o es seem to be the ones that regularly fail.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:02 am

teamoperu wrote:'ll correct that. You slandered all Indian and Chinese restaurants.. but are you referring to just unsanitary Chinese and Indian restaurants in Belgium or worldwide? Any proof or do you just like defaming Eastern people generally?

The word slander doesn´t exist.
Hygiene standards are very low to no existent in Africa and Asia. Here and there, there´s an Asian restaurant that´s clean but they are rare.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:05 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:Has anyone else regularly heard Peruvians say that the Chinese are filthy? I've heard this quite a few times here and it makes me wonder if this not very politically correct view has come from the hygiene standards from the Chifas. It has also been reinforced by the fact that the take aways back home that always got shut down due to health and safety were the Chinese ones.

I have worked a few take away restaurant jobs and despite what chichi says they were always clean. Obviously there is the exception and the chinese o es seem to be the ones that regularly fail.

There are a few clean Chinese restaurants but they are rare.

The same with motels. Most of them in the US that are run by Indians and Bangladeshis are filthy and smell like excrements and the owners are very rude.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:55 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:'ll correct that. You slandered all Indian and Chinese restaurants.. but are you referring to just unsanitary Chinese and Indian restaurants in Belgium or worldwide? Any proof or do you just like defaming Eastern people generally?

Hygiene standards are very low to no existent in Africa and Asia. Here and there, there´s an Asian restaurant that´s clean but they are rare.

You said: "The word slander doesn´t exist."

Of course it does.

slan·der, noun, the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation. “He is suing the TV network for slander"

de·fame, diˈfām verb, damage the good reputation of (someone); slander or libel. "he claimed that the article defamed his family"

You are particularly bad at it. It is repugnant, abhorrent and offense.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:02 am

teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:

You said: "The word slander doesn´t exist."

Of course it does.

slan·der, noun, the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation. “He is suing the TV network for slander"

de·fame, diˈfām verb, damage the good reputation of (someone); slander or libel. "he claimed that the article defamed his family"

You are particularly bad at it. It is repugnant, abhorrent and offense.

Teamoperu, have you ever been to India, China or Bangladesh?
There are nice things to visit but also a lot of filth to see.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:30 am

I am constantly amazed by how hygienic Peruvians are. Hair nets, disposable gloves, hand washing, even hand sanitizer before making an ice cream cone, and even then they never touch the cone with their bare hands, use a napkin. A street vendor will use a plastic bag to cover their hands when handling money. I once saw a street kid in a Metro washroom. He was washing his hands like a surgeon preparing for surgery. When I watch Gordon Ramsey cooking shows I am astounded when he pokes a steak with a bare finger to test its cooked status and his chefs using bare hands to arrange food on a plate. The world could learn a lot about cleanliness from Peru. And yes, Chinese Indian and Thai restaurants in Peru tend to follow the same high cleanliness standards. Are there exceptions, sure. Just like not all Belgium s are racist, but there are exceptions I'd bet.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:20 pm

teamoperu wrote:And yes, Chinese Indian and Thai restaurants in Peru tend to follow the same high cleanliness standards.

Your probably mean the same LOW hygiene standards.

teamoperu wrote:I am constantly amazed by how hygienic Peruvians are.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Have you ever entered the home of the average Peruvian?

They wear the same shoes inside the home that they were outside.
Walls inside the home and especially around sockets and swithes are full of stains.
The bin in the toilet is overflowing with used toilet paper.
Dirty kitchen and kitchen pots.
Drying their wash outside on their balcony in Lima. (all the smog that gets clogged to the clothes)
Public toilets and restaurants are filthy. The grime that sticks to seats in buses and taxis.

There are indeed Peruvians that are very clean but the average Peruvian doesn't take the time to clean.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:58 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:And yes, Chinese Indian and Thai restaurants in Peru tend to follow the same high cleanliness standards.

Your probably mean the same LOW hygiene standards.

teamoperu wrote:I am constantly amazed by how hygienic Peruvians are.

Walls inside the home and especially around sockets and swithes are full of stains.
Drying their wash outside on their balcony in Lima. (all the smog that gets clogged to the clothes)
Public toilets and restaurants are filthy. The grime that sticks to seats in buses and taxis.

There are indeed Peruvians that are very clean but the average Peruvian doesn't take the time to clean.

When you the list the dirtiness you've seen, I suppose you are referring to the homes of your friends and family in Taramoto, pretty dirty bunch there you are saying?

As much as you want to hate Peru and Peruvians, the truth is the culture here is quite hygiene conscious. Cleanliness/ healthiness is a priority. Never seen a kid go to school without spotless and ironed clothes, but maybe it happens in Tarapoto or Belgium, not Peru I know well. Restaurants are inspected and temporarily closed until fixed. If someone's hand is dirty, they offer their forearm instead of a dirty handshake. It is considered crude to blow your nose at the dinner table. Hotels I stay at use chlorine cleansing agent to clean the bathrooms. Everyone avoids touching food with their bare hands, unlike Gordon Ramsey. Restaurant workers use hairnets and disposable gloves and must wash their hands well. They will open a pop bottle but leave the cap on top for protection. Cutlery comes wrapped in a napkin. As an aside, I once dropped my fork on the floor at a restaurant in Lima and went to pick it up. The waiter signaled for me to wait. He then arrived with a napkin in his hand to pick it up. Meanwhile, in your previous posts you say that people from Belgium, such as you yourself, spit in customers food. As an FA you say you drop steaks on the galley floor, stomp on it and then put it on the clients food tray. Who is the more hygienic?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:31 pm

teamoperu wrote:As much as you want to hate Peru and Peruvians

Are you trolling again by trying to set up people against each other? If I hate Peru and Peruvians then I wouldn't have been living here for 5 years.

teamoperu wrote:the truth is the culture here is quite hygiene conscious. Cleanliness/ healthiness is a priority.

Are you kidding?

Healthiness??? :lol: Half the population is obese. Especially a lot of children are obese. Every night, the streetvenders sell loads of salchipapas, pollo broaster and burgers. They are the most popular food in Peru.
The might wear gloves, a hairnet, etc. But the didn't buy the food at Vivanda. They buy it at mercados where flies are sitting on the meat. Do you that the burgers and anticuchos that didn't got sold at night got thrown in the bin. No way, the just cook it again the next day.

Cleanliness? :
Why are the homes so dirty inside? Dirty kitchens, painted walls full of stains and grime. Most people have in their bathroom a bin full of used toilet paper on display. Just imagine the smell. Ayahuascu is probably derived from that. Moldy showercurtains. And most people have a dirty, smelly disease ridden dog in their home.

teamoperu wrote:Restaurants are inspected and temporarily closed until fixed.

Maybe in San Isidro and Miraflores but I have seen loads of filthy places that have been running for years.
For sure, if they are inspected, a propina gets them through the inspection.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:18 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:As much as you want to hate Peru and Peruvians

Are you trolling again by trying to set up people against each other? If I hate Peru and Peruvians then I wouldn't have been living here for 5 years.

teamoperu wrote:the truth is the culture here is quite hygiene conscious. Cleanliness/ healthiness is a priority.

Are you kidding?

Healthiness??? :lol: Half the population is obese. Especially a lot of children are obese. Every night, the streetvenders sell loads of salchipapas, pollo broaster and burgers. They are the most popular food in Peru.
The might wear gloves, a hairnet, etc. But the didn't buy the food at Vivanda. They buy it at mercados where flies are sitting on the meat. Do you that the burgers and anticuchos that didn't got sold at night got thrown in the bin. No way, the just cook it again the next day.

Cleanliness? :
Why are the homes so dirty inside? Dirty kitchens, painted walls full of stains and grime. Most people have in their bathroom a bin full of used toilet paper on display. Just imagine the smell. Ayahuascu is probably derived from that. Moldy showercurtains. And most people have a dirty, smelly disease ridden dog in their home.

teamoperu wrote:Restaurants are inspected and temporarily closed until fixed.

Maybe in San Isidro and Miraflores but I have seen loads of filthy places that have been running for years.
For sure, if they are inspected, a propina gets them through the inspection.

You may be in Peru for 5 years, but you plan on moving, and you are constantly writing hate posts about Peru and Peruvians. You think bogeymen hide behind every tree and also, it seems, germs.

Chichi, unless you sneak into people's homes at night, the dirty homes you see must be those of your friends and your family. You need to pick your friends better. Your family must be in heaven having you inspect and criticize the cleanliness of their homes and habits.

Chichi, any chance you have a wee bit of mysophobia? Being obsessive-compulsive about cleanliness is fine for OCD folks, but could drive people around them to drink. Do you make everyone take off their shoes when entering? Do you wipe the light switches after every use? Do you empty the trash bins every 5 minutes? Is wiping down the walls part of your weekly cleaning routine? Sure sounds like it. Why do I suspect that no where in the world would meet your cleanliness standards?

Here is an idea. Instead of defrauding the Belgium welfare system, doing nothing except sitting back criticizing all things Peruvian, you should do something about it, get off your *ss, and start a cleaning business. Now that might be something right up your alley.

(BTW it is FALSE that “most people have a dirty, smelly disease ridden dog in their home.”)
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:55 pm

teamoperu wrote:You may be in Peru for 5 years, but you plan on moving, and you are constantly writing hate posts about Peru and Peruvians. You think bogeymen hide behind every tree and also, it seems, germs.

Chichi, unless you sneak into people's homes at night, the dirty homes you see must be those of your friends and your family. You need to pick your friends better. Your family must be in heaven having you inspect and criticize the cleanliness of their homes and habits.

Here is an idea. Instead of defrauding the Belgium welfare system, doing nothing except sitting back criticizing all things Peruvian, you should do something about it, get off your *ss, and start a cleaning business. Now that might be something right up your alley.

I don't write hate posts about Peru and Peruvians and I don't defraud the wellfare system.
Stop trolling.

Now back to the topic:

Some restaurants look nice but the kitchen is a filthy dump.

Twice, I had to go to hospital after get sick from food.

And twice I have eaten in a nice restaurant. Expensive places as well.

First time it was in Pizzería in Miraflores and the second time it was in a Cevicheria in Magdalena Del Mar.

The bill at the Good Hope hospital was expensive but luckily the wellfare department paid it all back.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:32 pm

Like Teamoperu says from my experience most Peruvians are extremely conscious about cleanliness, but without stereotyping it depends which side of the economic border you are on, not that this should totally define the persons atitude towards hygiene. The upper classes especially are very OCD and i have like the chinese criticisms heard them say that westerns also have poor hygiene. Luckily we weren't classed as filthy or maybe they were being polite in my company.

Like so many things it's down to education and sometimes just lack of caring but there are plenty here also who don't care. I've never been in a business kitchen here but like everywhere else there are those that don't care, so when it comes to kitchens here i can't comment. I do think if it is a respectable restaurant and not a la menu they will care about this. This places and Peruvians generally are serious about their food.

But chichi has a valid point which i could easily add to the list. He just always uses extreme cases which stops someone from taking him seriously. My points would be watch how many people don't wash their hands after using the toilet here! I see this all the time in the supermarket and then you'll see the person a few minutes later checking out the fruit. Same in the gym, someone comes out after having a dump and straight back out and starts picking weights up, using a running on a machine. They sweat wipe their brow and then put their sweat and crap covered hands onto the machines.

Taxis, come on most taxis haven't been cleaned for years, that's the luxury part of phoning for a professional cab. It's clean! Ok the guy one the street stall might handle money with a bag over his hand, but has he always got a plastic bag on his hand? Probably not, and where is his sink to wash his hands during the day? Does he have a clean towel to dry his hands or does he wipe them on his pants? Fingernails! Look at a persons fingernails and that can answer a lot of questions right there.

It doesn't matter if you keep your kitchen clean, unrefrigerated meat seriously! And yes there's plenty of places where the meat is out on a wooden table in a desert, in heat and surrounded by flies. Even if it was in a fridge it wouldn't matter as most people barely turn the temperature down! Surquillo market being a prime example of that!

This is also a issue that boils down to the haves and have nots in Peru, and down to education. I don't criticise t much at all cos i know my life isn't easy but it's still a lot better than a lot of people here. There's a point in life where you work and struggle so much that you just end up giving up on everything. Cleanliness isn't the highest on a persons list if they are just struggling to get by.

About Gordon Ramseys steak handling, you know that's perfectly acceptable as long as you've washed your hands prior. How do you think chefs cut vegetables for salads etc. How would you cut a vegetable without using a hand to hold it in the process. The chef will be totally aware of the hygiene process. Also pressing the steak is the only true way to know if it's ready if you are wanting rare or medium. You can't tell any other way, It's to do with the texture and springiness which tells you it's ready.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:38 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:You may be in Peru for 5 years, but you plan on moving, and you are constantly writing hate posts about Peru and Peruvians. You think bogeymen hide behind every tree and also, it seems, germs.

I don't write hate posts about Peru and Peruvians and I don't defraud the wellfare system.
Stop trolling.

Now back to the topic:

Some restaurants look nice but the kitchen is a filthy dump.

Twice, I had to go to hospital after get sick from food.

And twice I have eaten in a nice restaurant. Expensive places as well.

First time it was in Pizzería in Miraflores and the second time it was in a Cevicheria in Magdalena Del Mar.

The bill at the Good Hope hospital was expensive but luckily the wellfare department paid it all back.

No, no. You are the one who admitted to cheating the Belgium social assistance program.

You forgot to tell them you don't live in Belgium? Your words. And you are still forgetting to tell them? And you state you earned income while on unemployment benefits, worked illegally, your words. Proof is in the quotes:

teamoperu wrote: “Still, you haven't answered how you found a way to get away from the 'effectively living in Belgium' rule? Belgium rules state: “The person must reside in Belgium. In order to receive benefits, the person must usually and effectively reside in Belgium.”

chi chi wrote: “I just forgot to tell them that I live in Peru. I wasn't aware that you have to live in Belgium if you claim benefits because my Unión never told me.”

teamoperu wrote: “Given this is a clear statement, how did you manage to start a laundry in Lima and not have it affect your unemployment benefits?”

Chi chi wrote: “The laundry was in my gf her name. I was working illegally.”

Other quotes:

Chi chi wrote: “Just open another bank account on the day that you become unemployed on only put a few quid on it and show the statement to the wellfare office.”

Chi chi wrote: “You just need an address in Belgium. You can rent a cheap room or give the address of a friend in Belgium.”

Chi chi wrote: “Just a few copies of invitation to an interview or copiens of jobapplications that you have sendet off to an employer are sufficient as proof that you are looking for a job.”

Chi chi wrote: “They can go for an interview but don't perform well at the interview or tests, then ask the company a letter to confirm that they have been for an interview so they won't have problems continuing to claim benefits.”

Now back to the topic.

Nice to see silverbackperu write “Like Teamoperu says from my experience most Peruvians are extremely conscious about cleanliness, but without stereotyping it depends...”

Of course, silverbackperu goes on to make valid points that would probably hold true in most countries. I am just pushing back against the so easy to make (incorrect) stereotype of a unsanitary Peru. Peru can be dirty (as in dust), but I admire the consciousness about hygiene and sanitary conditions here. As compared to people coming from a Belgium cultural environment, such as chi chi, who fully admits he stomps on steaks and spits in peoples food.

He also regularly makes up stories... like about getting sick.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:49 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:Like Teamoperu says from my experience most Peruvians are extremely conscious about cleanliness, but without stereotyping it depends which side of the economic border you are on, not that this should totally define the persons atitude towards hygiene. The upper classes especially are very OCD and i have like the chinese criticisms heard them say that westerns also have poor hygiene. Luckily we weren't classed as filthy or maybe they were being polite in my company.

Like so many things it's down to education and sometimes just lack of caring but there are plenty here also who don't care. I've never been in a business kitchen here but like everywhere else there are those that don't care, so when it comes to kitchens here i can't comment. I do think if it is a respectable restaurant and not a la menu they will care about this. This places and Peruvians generally are serious about their food.

But chichi has a valid point which i could easily add to the list. He just always uses extreme cases which stops someone from taking him seriously. My points would be watch how many people don't wash their hands after using the toilet here! I see this all the time in the supermarket and then you'll see the person a few minutes later checking out the fruit. Same in the gym, someone comes out after having a dump and straight back out and starts picking weights up, using a running on a machine. They sweat wipe their brow and then put their sweat and crap covered hands onto the machines.

Taxis, come on most taxis haven't been cleaned for years, that's the luxury part of phoning for a professional cab. It's clean! Ok the guy one the street stall might handle money with a bag over his hand, but has he always got a plastic bag on his hand? Probably not, and where is his sink to wash his hands during the day? Does he have a clean towel to dry his hands or does he wipe them on his pants? Fingernails! Look at a persons fingernails and that can answer a lot of questions right there.

It doesn't matter if you keep your kitchen clean, unrefrigerated meat seriously! And yes there's plenty of places where the meat is out on a wooden table in a desert, in heat and surrounded by flies. Even if it was in a fridge it wouldn't matter as most people barely turn the temperature down! Surquillo market being a prime example of that!

This is also a issue that boils down to the haves and have nots in Peru, and down to education. I don't criticise t much at all cos i know my life isn't easy but it's still a lot better than a lot of people here. There's a point in life where you work and struggle so much that you just end up giving up on everything. Cleanliness isn't the highest on a persons list if they are just struggling to get by.

About Gordon Ramseys steak handling, you know that's perfectly acceptable as long as you've washed your hands prior. How do you think chefs cut vegetables for salads etc. How would you cut a vegetable without using a hand to hold it in the process. The chef will be totally aware of the hygiene process. Also pressing the steak is the only true way to know if it's ready if you are wanting rare or medium. You can't tell any other way, It's to do with the texture and springiness which tells you it's ready.

Good points. Just on the Ramsey thing. Watched his chef competition show the other day. Some of the competitors actually did wear disposable gloves, others not. They were able to cut the veggies and poke the steaks without problem. Before I didn't think about it much, but now, after seeing it up front and personal in Peru, I prefer people not using bare hands to touch my food.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:14 pm

Yes you are right that each of these problems can be found anywhere. As a whole i think Peruvians who are a bit well off or middle class are extremely concious of cleanliness. I always think the fact that living in a desert has a lot to do with this attitude and you do need to continuely clean here almost every moment of every day.

But Peru has great social divides that you just don't experience in most modern countries, and with these divides comes the problems you associate with it. Some of these problems are created by lack of education, income and other issues and i take your side in this arguement, Peruvians are very concious about hygiene, but it's not everyone and it is a poverty related problem.

One of the biggest ways to discriminate against the lower classes here is to outline their lack of hygiene. I ALWAYS Here this, all the time! It's comes above skin colour, above crime issues and a few other things as well.

Things like taking a taxi, and if the taxi driver smells etc. Under their breath there will be the "ffs!" and then they will wind the window down. Most Peruvians i know will not use a toilet outside of their own home, or maybe the place of work. If your a guy great you can aim and hit the target, if your a woman your going to have to hover. They will only pee into a toilet that is not their own, because they are aware of hygiene. But why are they aware of hygiene? Because there are others who don't care.

There are problems with hygiene here but it's at a lower level. But do these poor people have time to really care about it, i doubt it.
Last edited by SilverbackPeru on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:17 pm

With the gloves i think it's a speed thing, which you do need in a commercial kitchen.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:25 pm

Anyone notice yet that Chi Chi hasn't answered the steak stomping accusation yet. We all know he posted this (and spitting on the food) in earlier times when talking about his work experiences. With his current (apparently) fetish for being clean, it appears this cleanliness didn't transfer for the services he provided to others. In other words, he was just as bad as the worst examples he posts here regarding his time in restaurants.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:00 pm

[quote="SilverbackPeru"]With the gloves i think it's a speed thing, which you do need in a commercial kitchen.[/quote

I worked as a chef in Michelin Star rated restaurants and in 5 star hotels and I have never seen anyone wearing gloves in the kitchen. It's not comfortable and your hands are sweating in those gloves.

Those gloves don't make sense either. When food is cooking, the temperature kills the bacterias.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:09 am

Having read the posts of a previous chef who claims to have worked in (perhaps that's just yet another tall tale?) Michelin Star rated restaurants in five star hotels and admits to spitting in food, blowing his nose all over salads, stomping on steaks that are dropped on the dirty kitchen floor, etc., shows that they are as unsanitary as the Chinese and other ethnic restaurants he puts down. Nowhere is completely sanitary. I tend not to worry and think about these things too much. I think this obsession with absolute cleanliness is a modern thing. Up until fairly recently in man's history did we decide we needed to bottle and sell hand sanitizer and obsess over germs. People used to live far more rugged existences and lived to raise kids who raised kids and so on until our current generations. I've heard that people who are obsessive about germs tend to be more susceptible to becoming sick by those same germs due to lowered immune systems. I'll wash my hands before eating, after using the bathroom, when I get a chance after riding a combi, but I try not to be obsessively compulsive about it. Look at all the examples mentioned of people not washing their hands before continuing on with their daily activities and yet there are no massive outbreaks of people becoming sick from riding in taxis or going to the gym. Think of all those unfortunate people who have eaten chi chi's spit, snot, and the dirt from the bottom of his shoes - not a pleasant thought, rather gross, but they're probably all still alive and well and most likely didn't suffer because of chi chis's unsanitary and anti-social behaviour. I noticed the other day at a popular pollo-a-la-brasa place that the guy who was cooking the chickens used his bare hands to handle raw chicken and then would grab a cooked chicken to box for a to go order and then use one hand over a scoop of papas when he was boxing those. I know he didn't wash his hands after handling raw chicken and doubt he washed his hands all that often during his shift. Maybe he figures it's pointless because they're just going to handling raw chicken again. No one seemed to care be they cholo or middle class and this place has been in business for quite a while. We've eaten there a bunch and not once have been sick because of it. I haven't heard of any outbreaks that would have this placed closed.

Sometimes I think we're all a bit too sensitive. Our immune systems have gotten us this far in our evolutionary history. I think our long ago ancestors from hundreds of years ago would think we're all sissies for freaking out about a little dirt on the wall, amongst other silly things some obsess over and freak out about. In reality, the thoughts of an unsanitary world are far worse than the actual conditions. Remember when you first learned of and saw photos of the countless dust mites that live on your skin and in (or on?) your bedsheets? It's the "ick" factor yet we're all still here, no one has died because of the dust mites, and most of us continue to sleep in our beds instead of hyperbolic chambers. Look at all the other animals on the planet who get by fine without using chemical sanitizers every ten minutes. Could it be that the chemicals we use to clean are more harmful than what we're cleaning? I'd rather eat food prepared on a surface that may have a bit of natural dust or dirt and is cleaned with vinegar and lemon juice than on one than one that was just sprayed down with chemicals from bottles with warning labels, skulls and crossbones, and instructions on what to do if ingested, but that's me.

It's been said "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:18 am

TonyLeslie wrote:Anyone notice yet that Chi Chi hasn't answered the steak stomping accusation yet. We all know he posted this (and spitting on the food) in earlier times when talking about his work experiences. With his current (apparently) fetish for being clean, it appears this cleanliness didn't transfer for the services he provided to others. In other words, he was just as bad as the worst examples he posts here regarding his time in restaurants.

You weren't really actually expecting him to respond to his own words, were you? If there's anything I know about chi chi from his posts it's that he conveniently ignores questions or facts he's unable to answer or respond to, as if he never read them in the first place and thinks that no one else has either.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:36 am

chi chi wrote:
SilverbackPeru wrote:With the gloves i think it's a speed thing, which you do need in a commercial kitchen.[/quote

I worked as a chef in Michelin Star rated restaurants and in 5 star hotels and I have never seen anyone wearing gloves in the kitchen. It's not comfortable and your hands are sweating in those gloves.

Those gloves don't make sense either. When food is cooking, the temperature kills the bacterias.

Back in the days of Fred Flintstone, but things do change. Cooking can kill bacteria but who cooks a salad at high temperatures... especially after you have spit in it?

You didn't answer the question. Chichi do you think you might be a wee bit germaphobic? ... not that there is anything wrong with that (a la Seinfeld).
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:43 am

teamoperu wrote:You didn't answer the question. Chichi do you think you might be a wee bit germaphobic? ... not that there is anything wrong with that (a la Seinfeld).

Not at all.
But I like to keep my home clean as it looks nicer.
I flush toiletpaper as I don't like the look of a bin full of used toiletpaper and neither the smell.

And my kitchen is spotless as I like cooking. The food I cook at home is much nicer than at the restaurants in Peru.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:49 am

Silverbackperu makes some good points about motivation to clean. Working Peruvians work hard, sometimes 8-10 hours a day, 6 days a week. Then add on life chores like helping with homework and hand washing and ironing kids clothes, cooking, lining up to pay bills etc. etc. Can't help but think how ironic it is for someone who doesn't work and lives on Belgium welfare for more than 5 years, so with plenty of time on his hands, to sit back in comfort and throw stones at Peruvians for not cleaning around light switches and washing walls... or even finding time to get the dishes done promptly.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:14 am

teamoperu wrote:Silverbackperu makes some good points about motivation to clean. Working Peruvians work hard, sometimes 8-10 hours a day, 6 days a week. Then add on life chores like helping with homework and hand washing and ironing kids clothes, cooking, lining up to pay bills etc. etc. Can't help but think how ironic it is for someone who doesn't work and lives on Belgium welfare for more than 5 years, so with plenty of time on his hands, to sit back in comfort and throw stones at Peruvians for not cleaning around light switches and washing walls... or even finding time to get the dishes done promptly.

If they don't touch the wall around the switch but just the switch then the wall stays clean.
And don't lean against a wall.
I always see Peruvians leaning against something. Do they have difficulty standing on their legs?

That why you see everywhere those ''no apoyarse'' signs.

untitled.png
untitled.png (83.72 KiB) Viewed 1021 times

(teamoperu, soon I will stop claiming wellfare because I am in the process of buying a home in Ireland. Houseprices are gone down a lot. It's a five bed home and I will rent out rooms for 500 euros a month so that makes me 2500 euros a month. Still, I don't have to work, just collect the rent but I will no longer claim wellfare. Working doesn't pay nowadays)
Last edited by chi chi on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:37 am

teamoperu wrote:You slandered all Indian and Chinese restaurants.. but are you referring to just unsanitary Chinese and Indian restaurants in Belgium or worldwide? Any proof or do you just like defaming Eastern people generally?

SilverbackPeru wrote:Has anyone else regularly heard Peruvians say that the Chinese are filthy? I've heard this quite a few times here and it makes me wonder if this not very politically correct view has come from the hygiene standards from the Chifas. It has also been reinforced by the fact that the take aways back home that always got shut down due to health and safety were the Chinese ones.

Restaurants and take aways run by Asians are often filthy. Not all of them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -shop.html
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:06 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Silverbackperu makes some good points about motivation to clean. Working Peruvians work hard, sometimes 8-10 hours a day, 6 days a week. Then add on life chores like helping with homework and hand washing and ironing kids clothes, cooking, lining up to pay bills etc. etc. Can't help but think how ironic it is for someone who doesn't work and lives on Belgium welfare for more than 5 years, so with plenty of time on his hands, to sit back in comfort and throw stones at Peruvians for not cleaning around light switches and washing walls... or even finding time to get the dishes done promptly.

If they don't touch the wall around the switch but just the switch then the wall stays clean.
And don't lean against a wall.
I always see Peruvians leaning against something. Do they have difficulty standing on their legs?

That why you see everywhere those ''no apoyarse'' signs.

untitled.png

Now you are going to criticize Peruvians for leaning against things? Really, for leaning? Seems like you are scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for things about Peruvians you do not like.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:54 pm

teamoperu wrote:Now you are going to criticize Peruvians for leaning against things? Really, for leaning? Seems like you are scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for things about Peruvians you do not like.

??? I am not looking for something I don't like about Peruvians. Personally, I don't care about what Peruvians do.
I live the way I want to and I do all things like I want to.

But you are always looking for something against other people. It's almost imposible for everyone to write a post or you start slagging people off.
You even slag off people living on wellfare. Those people are 100% entitled to the right to claim wellfare.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:40 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Now you are going to criticize Peruvians for leaning against things? Really, for leaning? Seems like you are scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for things about Peruvians you do not like.

??? I am not looking for something I don't like about Peruvians. Personally, I don't care about what Peruvians do.
I live the way I want to and I do all things like I want to.

But you are always looking for something against other people. It's almost imposible for everyone to write a post or you start slagging people off.
You even slag off people living on wellfare. Those people are 100% entitled to the right to claim wellfare.

"You even slag off people living on wellfare"
We are straying off topic, but I'll respond to your accusation briefly. I have nothing against people on welfare, in fact, I am quite pleased that my taxes help someone who needs a bit of help. It is part of the social conscience some people have, to give more than we take. It is welfare cheats that disgust me. On the other thread, I mentioned my sister-in-law works tracking down scum who deliberately defraud social assistance and put them where they belong, behind bars. By doing so she maintains the integrity of the system to benefit people who really do need help.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:27 pm

It's almost impossible to follow all food safety rules in a busy restaurant.

Putting food back immediatelly in the fridge, washing your hands after touching raw food before touching prepared food, cleaning up spilled food and cleaning utensils after using them isn't always posible.
Kitchens are often small and crowded,

I am wondering if the customers are willing to wait 3 hours for their food because the chefs have to wash their hands every two minutes.
joseyliza

Postby joseyliza » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:34 pm

chi chi wrote:

I very rarely call people out, but I have to chime in on this because it's ridiculous.

I live in Santa Anita (yes...dirty, grimy Santa Anita) with my Peruvian wife and I can assure you your comment above is a load of crap. It's obvious in every house we've stepped foot in how important cleanliness is. Kitchens are clean, which I have also used on occasion to prepare meals. (gasp!)

It's really sad how much attention people pay to your posts and comments because most of the ones I've read are nothing but drivel spouted off by a pedant (maybe a megalomaniac). You should really stop because people look to forums like these for help and good advice.

Take care.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:10 pm

joseyliza wrote:I live in Santa Anita (yes...dirty, grimy Santa Anita) with my Peruvian wife and I can assure you your comment above is a load of crap. It's obvious in every house we've stepped foot in how important cleanliness is. Kitchens are clean, which I have also used on occasion to prepare meals. (gasp!)

It's really sad how much attention people pay to your posts and comments because most of the ones I've read are nothing but drivel spouted off by a pedant (maybe a megalomaniac). You should really stop because people look to forums like these for help and good advice.

Take care.

For many people, it's difficult to keep their home clean. I travel all the time in the countryside in La Selva and many people don't have water in their home. They bath and wash their clothes in the river. Many homes their walls are made of bamboo and the roof of palm leaves so the dust always enter. The floor is made of sand. Many people cook their food on a woodfire outside.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:38 am

chi chi wrote:
joseyliza wrote:I live in Santa Anita (yes...dirty, grimy Santa Anita) with my Peruvian wife and I can assure you your comment above is a load of crap. It's obvious in every house we've stepped foot in how important cleanliness is. Kitchens are clean, which I have also used on occasion to prepare meals. (gasp!)

Take care.

For many people, it's difficult to keep their home clean. I travel all the time in the countryside in La Selva and many people don't have water in their home. They bath and wash their clothes in the river. Many homes their walls are made of bamboo and the roof of palm leaves so the dust always enter. The floor is made of sand. Many people cook their food on a woodfire outside.

So what if you do? You want first prize?

For many people, it's difficult to keep their home clean. I travel all the time in the world and many people don't have water in their home. They bath and wash their clothes in the river. Many homes their walls are made of bamboo and the roof of palm leaves so the dust always enter. The floor is made of sand. Many people cook their food on a woodfire outside.

And I travel all the time in Peru and many people have hot running water in their home. They bath and wash in showers, tubs and jacuzzi s. Many homes their walls are made of solid brick, stucco, and ornate stone and roofs of tiles and concrete. The floor is made of decorated tiles and fabulous woods. Many people cook their food on modern gas stoves and microwaves inside and BBQ outside.

So what if there is all sorts of different ways of living. Why mention one and not the other? Or are you just trying to find something negative to say about Peru?
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:14 pm

The fact is that ChiChi in whatever topic, always magnifies any (possible) negative aspect largely out of proportions.
I would not be surprised when his favorite slogan is: "Always look on the Dark Side of (someone elses') Life" :evil: !

The only things which are excellent in his eyes are hìs way of life, hìs house, hìs hometown (Tarapoto), et cetera :lol:

And working as a chef in Michelin star restaurants :shock: :?:
Sorry, but by claiming what you did to food to be served to your customers, you show to have the attitude of the shady owner of a rundown "frietkot" (name of a(n originally wooden) shed where they sell chips and other snacks in Belgium, not always known for a proper treatment of ingredients/food)....
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:42 pm

teamoperu wrote:And I travel all the time in Peru and many people have hot running water in their home. They bath and wash in showers, tubs and jacuzzi s. Many homes their walls are made of solid brick, stucco, and ornate stone and roofs of tiles and concrete. The floor is made of decorated tiles and fabulous woods. Many people cook their food on modern gas stoves and microwaves inside and BBQ outside.

I think those people never head about a jacuzzi, decorated styles and fabulous woods...

1.jpg
1.jpg (8.34 KiB) Viewed 948 times

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register