To the hood...

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

To the hood...

Postby chi chi » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:31 pm

imagesNGLF7DKV.jpg
imagesNGLF7DKV.jpg (11.65 KiB) Viewed 2016 times

images3W2GYLHE.jpg
images3W2GYLHE.jpg (10.76 KiB) Viewed 2016 times

imagesYG8VA1V7.jpg
imagesYG8VA1V7.jpg (11.96 KiB) Viewed 2016 times

images8UV4E2LY.jpg
images8UV4E2LY.jpg (11.75 KiB) Viewed 2014 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxAEXUyGM94

Rents have gone up a lot in the last few years. Anyone had to move to a less desirable area of town due to the rental prices? Anyone moved to the hood? Please tell your experiences of daily life and challenges.

Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: To the hood...

Postby Guiri » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:45 pm

Thats New York , right :D
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:59 am

Guiri wrote:Thats New York , right :D

No, it's Lima.

New York is nicer.
Even areas like Queens and the Bronx that used to have a bad reputation are very nice.
Brittdani.v

Postby Brittdani.v » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:40 am

I live in da hood.. Cercado de Lima. My husbands peruvian and his family own a large apartment and it's free rent. Lots of peeing, spit, drunks and druggies everywhere. Late night till the next day parties with blaring music. Think I'm the only one in da hood who calls the Serenzagos to tell them to turn off the music...cuz that's what you would do in the states right?! Lol sometimes works sometimes doesn't. Lots of street venders who throw trash everywhere and destroys da hood. I have "gotten used to it" as you could say, but really no one should be used to this type of living sadly. But my apartment is my paradise and is quite comfortable despite the outside. And I am able to live a simple life and do a purposeful volunteer work. Have had many comments mainly Peruvians not foreigners, that I should live in a better district, but then again in my hood they're too poor to afford guns to shot one another and just throw rocks. So can't be too bad like the richer areas where they're more of a target. And being the only gringa does have it's protection because I think they're too scared to rob me, because sadly the police are more attentive to foreigners than their own people. One thing I can truly say I hate HATE, the whistles and the disgusting men that think they can hit on you because they are soooOo "good looking". I don't usually get that when I'm in Miraflores. For some reason where I live that's ok to do. I do hate lima, any part of it, because there's too many people and noise and pollution. Hoping to move to the providence soon.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:40 am

chi chi wrote:
Guiri wrote:Thats New York , right :D

No, it's Lima.

New York is nicer.
Even areas like Queens and the Bronx that used to have a bad reputation are very nice.

Looks more like downtown Ferguson.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:16 pm

Brittdani.v wrote:I live in da hood.. Cercado de Lima. My husbands peruvian and his family own a large apartment and it's free rent. Lots of peeing, spit, drunks and druggies everywhere. Late night till the next day parties with blaring music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9noL7HHBSxU
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:49 pm

IMHO just another of the many of chichi's posts dedicated to highlighting the bad in Lima and hating anyone and anything Peruvian.

He can highlight the negative, he has no life otherwise, and doesn't know better.

Me, I can appreciate the good life, 'cause I am off for a wonderful (inexpensive) massage and then a delicious (inexpensive) meal with some wonderful Peruvian friends. I am starting to feel like a traitor, dinner with expats would be such a downer.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:31 pm

teamoperu wrote:IMHO just another of the many of chichi's posts dedicated to highlighting the bad in Lima and hating anyone and anything Peruvian.

He can highlight the negative, he has no life otherwise, and doesn't know better.

Me, I can appreciate the good life, 'cause I am off for a wonderful (inexpensive) massage and then a delicious (inexpensive) meal with some wonderful Peruvian friends. I am starting to feel like a traitor, dinner with expats would be such a downer.

Heading up to the club in Chosica ( Lima's sunny side)for the weekend, but not before I have a nice steak dinner at Rincon Gaucho!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:37 am

teamoperu wrote:IMHO just another of the many of chichi's posts dedicated to highlighting the bad in Lima and hating anyone and anything Peruvian.

90% of Lima is 'hood'. I don't see anything negative of living in the hood. In Lima it's normal to live in the hood. People who live in the hood are friendlier and are happy. They don't walk around stressed when the Dow Jones has gone down or if there's a scratch on their beaten up 20 year old Lada.
Hood is cool. Because the economic crisis, more and more people start enjoying life in the hood.

Alpineprince wrote:Heading up to the club in Chosica ( Lima's sunny side)for the weekend, but not before I have a nice steak dinner at Rincon Gaucho!

Alpineprince, which hood do you live in. Please tell us your experiences of living in your hood.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:00 am

chi chi wrote:

90% of Lima is 'hood'. I don't see anything negative of living in the hood. In Lima it's normal to live in the hood. People who live in the hood are friendlier and are happy. They don't walk around stressed when the Dow Jones has gone down or if there's a scratch on their beaten up 20 year old Lada.
Hood is cool. Because the economic crisis, more and more people start enjoying life in the hood.

Alpineprince wrote:Heading up to the club in Chosica ( Lima's sunny side)for the weekend, but not before I have a nice steak dinner at Rincon Gaucho!

Alpineprince, which hood do you live in. Please tell us your experiences of living in your hood.

Absolute nonsense. 90% of Lima is not the hood and people drive modern cars. You are always posting misinformation about Lima totally misrepresenting the reality in Lima. Getting you jollies by hate posting about Peru and Peruvians and repeating pics of squalor.

BTW my massage was excellent, the meal totally delicious, and great positive conversations with enlightened Peruvian friends. Way more enlightened than you. Are all people from Belgium as negative as you? Are all expats as negative as you? Are you capable of telling the truth?

BTW,at dinner I learned that that Paracas era calendarioo manta has been repatriated and is now on display at the museum of archaeology now. A must see. It is 2000 years old and immaculate.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:53 am

teamoperu wrote:Absolute nonsense. 90% of Lima is not the hood and people drive modern cars. You are always posting misinformation about Lima totally misrepresenting the reality in Lima. Getting you jollies by hate posting about Peru and Peruvians and repeating pics of squalor.

What's hatefull in my post? I love hoods. I mentioned that I experienced that people who live in the hoods are friendlier. Is that a hatefull comment?
My gf is Peruvian and I have been living more than 5 years in Peru. Does that sound like I hate Peru and Peruvians?

''90% is not hood and people drive modern cars''??? :lol: Have you ever been further than Miraflores?

teamoperu wrote:BTW my massage was excellent, the meal totally delicious, and great positive conversations with enlightened Peruvian friends.

What's so special about getting a massage and a delicious meal. Everyday, I have a delicious meal and 1 hour massage. My gf gives me a free massage.
But everybody can get a delicious meal and massage.
In Tarapoto, there are girls that give you a massage and only charge 5 soles for an hour and you can get a delicious meal for 5 soles as well.
Or do you think that everybody else only eats 'slop'?

teamoperu, the topic is about people who moved to the hoods of Lima due to personal reasons or their budget. Please don't go off topic and trash this interesting topic.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:18 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Absolute nonsense. 90% of Lima is not the hood and people drive modern cars. You are always posting misinformation about Lima totally misrepresenting the reality in Lima. Getting you jollies by hate posting about Peru and Peruvians and repeating pics of squalor.

What's hatefull in my post? I love hoods. I mentioned that I experienced that people who live in the hoods are friendlier. Is that a hatefull comment?
My gf is Peruvian and I have been living more than 5 years in Peru. Does that sound like I hate Peru and Peruvians?

''90% is not hood and people drive modern cars''??? :lol: Have you ever been further than Miraflores?

teamoperu wrote:BTW my massage was excellent, the meal totally delicious, and great positive conversations with enlightened Peruvian friends.

What's so special about getting a massage and a delicious meal. Everyday, I have a delicious meal and 1 hour massage. My gf gives me a free massage.
But everybody can get a delicious meal and massage.
In Tarapoto, there are girls that give you a massage and only charge 5 soles for an hour and you can get a delicious meal for 5 soles as well.
Or do you think that everybody else only eats 'slop'?

teamoperu, the topic is about people who moved to the hoods of Lima due to personal reasons or their budget. Please don't go off topic and trash this interesting topic.

The truth shall set you free. Your words do not match the photos you posted. You know nothing about the hood, you know nothing about cars in Lima apparently. Why do you not post photos of the slums of NY and then state 90% of NY is the hood? Because it is not true just like it is not true Lima is 90% slums.

I feel sorry for your gf on many levels, including that she has to give you 1 hour massages... as you posted on another thread previously, she does it "every day".

No it is not an interesting topic, people can see below the surface, we are not dumb, you started the thread to give yourself yet another opportunity to highlight the negative of Lima and misrepresent what it really is. 90% of Lima is not the hood and there are modern cars everywhere (and some old cars like any city in the world).

And yes with the burgeoning middle class domestic tourism is booming. The government has done a good job of making accessible the archaeological sites and museums at low cost to Peruvians. There are millions of visits annually by Peruvians interested in their heritage. I suppose there must be some who do not, but every Peruvian I have met is most interested in their very unique and special history.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:27 am

Brittdani.v wrote:I live in da hood.. Cercado de Lima. My husbands peruvian and his family own a large apartment and it's free rent. Lots of peeing, spit, drunks and druggies everywhere. Late night till the next day parties with blaring music. Think I'm the only one in da hood who calls the Serenzagos to tell them to turn off the music...cuz that's what you would do in the states right?! Lol sometimes works sometimes doesn't. Lots of street venders who throw trash everywhere and destroys da hood. I have "gotten used to it" as you could say, but really no one should be used to this type of living sadly. But my apartment is my paradise and is quite comfortable despite the outside. And I am able to live a simple life and do a purposeful volunteer work. Have had many comments mainly Peruvians not foreigners, that I should live in a better district, but then again in my hood they're too poor to afford guns to shot one another and just throw rocks. So can't be too bad like the richer areas where they're more of a target. And being the only gringa does have it's protection because I think they're too scared to rob me, because sadly the police are more attentive to foreigners than their own people. One thing I can truly say I hate HATE, the whistles and the disgusting men that think they can hit on you because they are soooOo "good looking". I don't usually get that when I'm in Miraflores. For some reason where I live that's ok to do. I do hate lima, any part of it, because there's too many people and noise and pollution. Hoping to move to the providence soon.

Thanks for interesting post. Life in the hood is indeed an adventure.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:52 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:

I was thinking the same :lol:
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Guiri wrote:
chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:

I was thinking the same :lol:

You were thinking the same Guiri? Wow, well then, you were thinking wrong! Does that happen a lot to you, think the wrong thing? How does it feel to think the wrong thing over and over? And not only wrong, but big time wrong? There is a chance a young whippersnapper like you may still have been in diapers when I was first discovering beyond Miraflores. Try thinking again when taxi drivers in seeming surprise tell you, like they do me, “Your Spanish is good!”. Do they say that to you? What is your response? Me, I have two favourites I use often: “You too!” which after a pause gets a chuckle but I doubt they get the full depth of the joke and “Thanks, I speak a little Castellano, but not Peruano” pues. That's a good entry for me to learn more slang from where the driver comes.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:45 pm

I've lived in the hood before and liked it. Lived in parts of NYC that were considered hood, but now, like much of NYC, have been gentrified to the point of having all the personality sucked out of them. I had a friend who lived in the hood in Venice, California. His house was on a block that was the dividing line separating territories controlled by the 'Venice 13' (bloods) and the Venice Shore Line Crips. Every now and then you'd hear very close by gunfire and would have to get off the couch and down onto the floor. Sundays were interesting because the rival gangs would play softball in the field across the street. It was family day. Everybody got along on that one day of the week until the LAPD would move in too close and then both gangs joined up to throw bottles at the retreating cops. It was quite a show. There's even rich people who can afford to live anywhere they want but choose to live in the hood. I once lived in a part of Venice that was just inside the hood. Dennis Hopper was my neighbor, he loved it there. No one ever once bothered me and once the little hoppers on the corner realized I wasn't into crack they stopped trying to sell me rock.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/oc ... pper-house
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:48 pm

teamoperu wrote:You were thinking the same Guiri? Wow, well then, you were thinking wrong! Does that happen a lot to you, think the wrong thing? How does it feel to think the wrong thing over and over? And not only wrong, but big time wrong?

Everybody is wrong and thinks wrong...

teamoperu I think your favourite song is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXoOFx-m46w
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:31 pm

teamoperu wrote:You were thinking the same Guiri? Wow, well then, you were thinking wrong! .
Well...not where I live in Lima and thats not a shabby neighborhood either. :D

for any further doubts https://www.englishforums.com/English/D ... h/post.htm
:roll:
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:47 am

Guiri wrote:
teamoperu wrote:You were thinking the same Guiri? Wow, well then, you were thinking wrong! .
Well...not where I live in Lima and thats not a shabby neighborhood either. :D

for any further doubts https://www.englishforums.com/English/D ... h/post.htm
:roll:

Well Guiri there are two parts. The part about me living in Miraflores and rarely getting out is ludicrous. I don't even live in Lima and the number of times I have been in Miraflores in recent years can be counted on one hand. The second part is chichi's slam that folks in Lima drive 20 year old Ladas. A total misrepresentation of the reality of vehicles in Lima. Chichi is always slamming Lima and I like to correct the record so people do not get the wrong impression. I suggested there are modern cars in Lima (and old cars like anywhere). You disagree?

A 20 year old car would be 1994 model year. I doubt you can even identify the model year of most cars driving by let alone know if they are pre-1994 or a 2000 or even a 2005. Your neighbourhood is not all of Lima. Do you ever get out of your neighbourhood? If you do you will see that quite a few personal cars are quite modern and you'd probably have a difficult time even finding a 20 year old Lada. Tell ya what, I'll take a pic of a parking lot in Lima and you can identify which ones are the 20 year old Ladas... or even identify any car there 20 years or older.

Hundreds of thousands of new cars have been sold in recent years. Do you think they just hide them in their garage or drive them on the streets of Lima?

Link: http://wardsauto.com/ar/peru_rally_reforms_100921
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:06 pm

teamoperu wrote:Well Guiri there are two parts. The part about me living in Miraflores and rarely getting out is ludicrous. I don't even live in Lima and the number of times I have been in Miraflores in recent years can be counted on one hand.
So what you talking about then...obviously you have no clew whats happening :lol:

I live in Santiago de Surco, a very nice , quiet and modest area; when I look in the moment out of my window I see two 91-95 Nissans , a (at least) 30 year old truck , a brand new Toyota(mine :D ) a beetle and a 244 Volvo...and when I stroll the neighborhood its basically the same . I work sometimes in San Borja(not Norte) and Magdalena and its the same picture. I dont think that in SJL or Salvador people drive in different cars, do they? So whats your point?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:26 pm

teamoperu wrote:I suggested there are modern cars in Lima

Cars in Lima... :shock: :shock: :shock:

The streets look like junkyards.

images3FFF8NYA.jpg
images3FFF8NYA.jpg (9.92 KiB) Viewed 1810 times

imagesT1MRRFO6.jpg
imagesT1MRRFO6.jpg (11.57 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:52 pm

Guiri wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Well Guiri there are two parts. The part about me living in Miraflores and rarely getting out is ludicrous. I don't even live in Lima and the number of times I have been in Miraflores in recent years can be counted on one hand.
So what you talking about then...obviously you have no clew whats happening :lol:

I live in Santiago de Surco, a very nice , quiet and modest area; when I look in the moment out of my window I see two 91-95 Nissans , a (at least) 30 year old truck , a brand new Toyota(mine :D ) a beetle and a 244 Volvo...and when I stroll the neighborhood its basically the same . I work sometimes in San Borja(not Norte) and Magdalena and its the same picture. I dont think that in SJL or Salvador people drive in different cars, do they? So whats your point?

Ah Guiri. You didn't see any 1994 Ladas did you? Didn't think so.

Ya know there are different perspectives: the ant's eye view and the bird's eye view. You seem to be taking the ant's eye view from you window. I take the bird's eye view.

I don't know how far off I'd be if I said there have been 500000-million new cars sold in Peru in the last 10 years. To help you with the math that means cars 10 years old or less. Where do you think all these modern cars are hiding? Maybe they avoid driving by your window?
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:58 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:I suggested there are modern cars in Lima

Cars in Lima... :shock: :shock: :shock:

The streets look like junkyards.

images3FFF8NYA.jpg

imagesT1MRRFO6.jpg

Getting your jollies hate posting and misrepresenting Lima again?
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:27 pm

teamoperu wrote:Ah Guiri. You didn't see any 1994 Ladas did you? Didn't think so.

Funny thing is : Today I passed on C.de las Incas and there where two! Ladas parked right next to each other...I will take a pic tomorrow :lol:
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:20 am

Guiri wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Ah Guiri. You didn't see any 1994 Ladas did you? Didn't think so.

Funny thing is : Today I passed on C.de las Incas and there where two! Ladas parked right next to each other...I will take a pic tomorrow :lol:

On your way over don't forget to take a pic of all the new modern cars too. There are hundreds of thousands of them. You wouldn't want to be like chichi would you?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:15 am

teamoperu wrote:On your way over don't forget to take a pic of all the new modern cars too. There are hundreds of thousands of them.

''Hundreds of thousands of modern cars in Lima''??? :lol:

Woww, did you count all of them?
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:29 pm

One of the first things I did when I came to Peru eight years ago was to order a new 4x4. I waited nearly six months for delivery, but that included an uprated engine and larger wheels to cope with the craters in the road. At that time there was more string holding the cars together than actual cars and if you drove anywhere you could not park the car for fear of losing your wheels or car itself. As far as new cars they were non existent. The yellow Tiko was a blanket of colour in all the streets.
Well times have changed since then and now you can drive a new car off the forecourt, Not so many holes in the road and you cannot fit a cigarette paper between all the new cars. You only have to stand on one of the bridges over Javier Prado to see the change. Even the Tiko has nearly vanished.
Attachments
Taxi_Yellow_Lima_Peru_(I).jpg
Taxi_Yellow_Lima_Peru_(I).jpg (158.01 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
7270130764_320e9d1a8f.jpg
Javier Prado
7270130764_320e9d1a8f.jpg (147.29 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:07 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:On your way over don't forget to take a pic of all the new modern cars too. There are hundreds of thousands of them.

''Hundreds of thousands of modern cars in Lima''??? :lol:

Woww, did you count all of them?

Well, gosh, just like you do, fingers and toes fingers and toes... or do you know another way?
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:09 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:One of the first things I did when I came to Peru eight years ago was to order a new 4x4. I waited nearly six months for delivery, but that included an uprated engine and larger wheels to cope with the craters in the road. At that time there was more string holding the cars together than actual cars and if you drove anywhere you could not park the car for fear of losing your wheels or car itself. As far as new cars they were non existent. The yellow Tiko was a blanket of colour in all the streets.
Well times have changed since then and now you can drive a new car off the forecourt, Not so many holes in the road and you cannot fit a cigarette paper between all the new cars. You only have to stand on one of the bridges over Javier Prado to see the change. Even the Tiko has nearly vanished.

So true!
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:25 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:One of the first things I did when I came to Peru eight years ago was to order a new 4x4. I waited nearly six months for delivery, but that included an uprated engine and larger wheels to cope with the craters in the road. At that time there was more string holding the cars together than actual cars and if you drove anywhere you could not park the car for fear of losing your wheels or car itself. As far as new cars they were non existent. The yellow Tiko was a blanket of colour in all the streets.

A couple of years less time here, but that is my experience, too. Hardly even see a Volkswagen Beetle either. Perhaps in a few more year we'll talk fondly of old bashed-up combis.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:46 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:

Well, let's just wait and see, maybe in a couple of years we'll see all these new beautiful cars (most of which had been bought on bank loans) being sold at auctions all over Peru like it happened in 2008 in many countries in Europe.
James_T

Postby James_T » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:45 am

I can only come up with 6 districts of Lima that could be considered good areas, I could not imagine what life would be like in someplace like La Victoria or downtown. Sadly, my wife's family talks about the good old days of Lima when districts like Rimac and Pueblo Libre were nice suburban areas, those days are long over unfortunately.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:49 am

James_T wrote:I can only come up with 6 districts of Lima that could be considered good areas, I could not imagine what life would be like in someplace like La Victoria or downtown. Sadly, my wife's family talks about the good old days of Lima when districts like Rimac and Pueblo Libre were nice suburban areas, those days are long over unfortunately.

Pueblo Libre isn't that bad. House prices are very expensive in Pueblo Libre.

Barrios Altos, El Agustino, San Martin de Porres and some parts of Callao are much worser. Or in San Miguel, from cuadra 24 and upwards of Avenida La Paz. I was used to live at cuadra 21. It was OK but I wouldn't have ventured further than cuadra 24.
That's really ''hood''.

San Martin de Porres is full of gangs and all walls are covered in grafitti. It looks like South Central LA.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:47 am

James_T wrote:I can only come up with 6 districts of Lima that could be considered good areas, I could not imagine what life would be like in someplace like La Victoria or downtown. Sadly, my wife's family talks about the good old days of Lima when districts like Rimac and Pueblo Libre were nice suburban areas, those days are long over unfortunately.

There are neighbourhoods in La Victoria that are both popular and quite nice, like El Balconcillo.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:08 pm

James_T wrote:San Martin de Porres is full of gangs and all walls are covered in grafitti. It looks like South Central LA.

So where I stay with my parents in law when I'm in Lima has this notorious reputation. I had no idea. I will now start talking about the barrio I stay in when in Lima and start walking with a certain swagger. I guess now I don't ever have to visit South Central LA - been there, done it.
Tom
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:00 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:
adrian Thorne wrote: Hardly even see a Volkswagen Beetle either. Perhaps in a few more year we'll talk fondly of old bashed-up combis.
I guess you`d never been further down Marzano than Higuereta, hmm??
Close to SJM you can see gazzillion of them ...and Tikos, but of course not so nice ones like on the photo. :lol:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:27 am

Guiri wrote:
Sergio Bernales wrote:
adrian Thorne wrote: Hardly even see a Volkswagen Beetle either. Perhaps in a few more year we'll talk fondly of old bashed-up combis.
Close to SJM you can see gazzillion of them ...and Tikos, but of course not so nice ones like on the photo. :lol:

...Ticos?

Have a look in Ica. 99% of cars in that city are Ticos.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:36 am

chi chi wrote:
Guiri wrote:
Sergio Bernales wrote:

...Ticos?

Have a look in Ica. 99% of cars in that city are Ticos.

I don't remember too many Ticos in Ica, just thousands of mototaxis
Stacy_E826
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Stacy_E826 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:08 pm

I live in Yerbateros, on the La Victoria side. I definitely see a lot of improvements to the areas referred to as ¨The Hood¨. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be and it actually makes me mad when people make fun of it or talk bad about it. Even the Cerro ¨El Pino¨ has all cement houses not wood pre fabricated ones. I am originally from Long Island, New York and I didn't live in the hood, but on Long Island there are places considered ghetto where people don't take as much pride in their homes as they do here even though it is in ¨The Hood¨.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:21 pm

Stacy_E826 wrote:I live in Yerbateros, on the La Victoria side. I definitely see a lot of improvements to the areas referred to as ¨The Hood¨. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be and it actually makes me mad when people make fun of it or talk bad about it. Even the Cerro ¨El Pino¨ has all cement houses not wood pre fabricated ones. I am originally from Long Island, New York and I didn't live in the hood, but on Long Island there are places considered ghetto where people don't take as much pride in their homes as they do here even though it is in ¨The Hood¨.

I empathize with you. There is a problem here with people (or mostly one person and some copycats) with very little real knowledge, or perspective, posting broad negative generalizations that, in fact, can be unkind to people on the receiving end. As as a community we need to hold these people's feet to the fire and shout them down. They need to know their behaviour is unacceptable and sometimes hurtful. Hate posting or scaremongering should be disallowed.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:21 am

So lets see how good was my prediction. He posts pics of some squalor in Lima then goes on to say 90% of Lima is like that. He posts pics of some old cars and says Lima is a junkyard. Then lists some areas as undesirable that other people point out not so, there are pockets of nice even in less desirable areas.

You see the whole premise was a set up to be able to hate post about Lima and as if he is somehow superior. Any gringo slumming it? What wonderful novelty that would be, a gringo sharing life in a slum. There are slums in Lima, as in any major city, some more some less. In these slums live real people. Why dehumanize them? Why take pics of them ridiculing them? They may be poor but they believe in God; they love their children. They may be poor but they share what little they have with their extended family just trying to make ends meet. Maybe they stand on a street corner all day selling Pepsi to make a few soles while he travels the world living off welfare aimed for the poor, welfare that they don't have. He constantly talks about their shantytown housing disrespecting it because he is so much better, he from Belgium can abuse a Peruvian program aimed to help the poor to buy a house, they cannot. Maybe one has crawled out poverty but still lives there in a low quality home supporting extended family. He was even able to get a car, good for him, but lets criticize that it is an old car, take some pics of his old car and ridicule it. We are so superior, right? We don't live in that slum junkyard called Lima and working hard enough to sweat is beneath us. Lets take some pics and discuss on the Internet, dehumanize them, and remind ourselves how much better we are than them – NOT.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:56 pm

teamoperu wrote:
teamoperu wrote:
So lets see how good was my prediction. He posts pics .....blablabla
A case of the "Mondays" on Friday ? :lol:
TeacherMike

Postby TeacherMike » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:28 am

Just throwing in my two sense.

I am an American from Philadelphia area of the U.S. married to a Peruvian woman.

I take a bus or taxi through La Molina, Surco, San Borja, Miraflores, La Victoria, San Isidro, Lince, and Barranco, and other areas down to San Miguel.

To me this is a HUGE swath of pretty safe area to travel through. I can not travel through Philadelphia so freely and feel as reasonably safe.

So to say Lima is 90% hood, to me, is not accurate.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:41 pm

TeacherMike wrote:J

Who said that ??
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:07 pm

Guiri wrote:

Who said that ??

Upthread. Post by chi chi » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:37 am

“90% of Lima is 'hood'.”

And it was you feeling superior to them with your new car:

“when I look in the moment out of my window I see two 91-95 Nissans , a (at least) 30 year old truck , a brand new Toyota (mine  ) a beetle and a 244 Volvo”.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:10 pm

Guiri wrote:

Who said that ??

Take a wild guess. Go to page one of this thread for answer where it was said "90% of Lima is 'hood'." Unless of course your question was asked in jest.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:20 am

Out of interest and following all the glowing reports for Tarapoto I desided to take a strole around the town, up to three blocks from "Plaza de Armis". I was amazed at the quality of life and standard of living for most. Apart from the main roads in to the centre tarmac is very scarce, large open drains. I may be totally wrong, but it seams to be one big hood. Just one or two pics attached.
Attachments
Shot005.jpg
Shot005.jpg (150.88 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
Shot004.jpg
Shot004.jpg (157.85 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
Shot003.jpg
Shot003.jpg (163.56 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
Shot002.jpg
Shot002.jpg (140.62 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
Shot001.jpg
Shot001.jpg (143.16 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:55 am

adrian Thorne wrote:Out of interest and following all the glowing reports for Tarapoto I desided to take a strole around the town, up to three blocks from "Plaza de Armis". I was amazed at the quality of life and standard of living for most. Apart from the main roads in to the centre tarmac is very scarce, large open drains. I may be totally wrong, but it seams to be one big hood. Just one or two pics attached.

Adrian, the first picture is the entrance of the jail in Tarapoto. What did you do there? Visiting any friends of yours or did you just get released yourself on parole? :lol:

For the rest of the pictures, I didn't see anything that's ''hood''.
Only a peacefull city that's not overcrowded.

The fridges and freezers on the second picture would be standing there too long in Lima. The would have been nicked within a matter of seconds.
Lone Rider

Postby Lone Rider » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:26 pm

TeacherMike wrote:Just throwing in my two sense.

I am an American from Philadelphia area of the U.S. married to a Peruvian woman.

I take a bus or taxi through La Molina, Surco, San Borja, Miraflores, La Victoria, San Isidro, Lince, and Barranco, and other areas down to San Miguel.

To me this is a HUGE swath of pretty safe area to travel through. I can not travel through Philadelphia so freely and feel as reasonably safe.

Well ignorance is bliss. I see you have not been in Peru as long as Chi Chi. If I was in Philly for a short time and traveled all through the different areas on a bus including the dangerous and nothing happened I would think all of Philly is safe too.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:00 pm

Lone Rider wrote:
TeacherMike wrote:Just throwing in my two sense.

Well ignorance is bliss. I see you have not been in Peru as long as Chi Chi. If I was in Philly for a short time and traveled all through the different areas on a bus including the dangerous and nothing happened I would think all of Philly is safe too.

This could explain why chi chi feels that NYC and Mexico City are such safe cities in every part of town and at all hours, day or night.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register