shantytowns

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

shantytowns

Postby chi chi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:34 pm

Shantytowns can be found all around Lima but shantytowns are popping up around London as well. Mainly poor immigrants from Eastern Europe live in it. But in the US, tentcities are popping up and are mostly habited by poor US citizens.
The rising cost of housing and the ailing jobmarket is to blame.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rants.html

adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: shantytowns

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:10 pm

Kick them out. Why on earth should these people come to the UK without a promise of a job and a home, live on welfare, the British worker has paid for and then rub their noses in it by destroying the treasured environment. If nothing is done about you scroungers I can see UKIP elected and Romania/Belgium`s out.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:34 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:Kick them out. Why on earth should these people come to the UK without a promise of a job and a home, live on welfare, the British worker has paid for and then rub their noses in it by destroying the treasured environment. If nothing is done about you scroungers I can see UKIP elected and Romania/Belgium`s out.

You can't blame those people because they just took advantage of what they are entitled too. If you were living in a country with little jobprospects and having to scrape to make ends meet then you would do the same.

You should blame the government who it for those people so attractive to immigrate.

Kicking out Romanians or other EU citizens out of the UK is imposible. It's against the EU rights of free movement of people and goods.

The only way to reduce the number of ''wellfare touristst'' coming to the UK is too restrict the benefits. But as long as the UK government is so generous with giving wellfare benefits to anyone who comes into the country, people will keep coming.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:02 pm

This is exactly what I expected from you. I hope you are proud of being a leach on society and if I was in power in Peru I would hunt you down.
These people in the UK have no reason to be in the UK other than suck them dry and I can promise you the government, who ever in power, will have to take action against it. The is a referendum in 2017 and because of people like this the UK will leave the EU which will effectively ban people like you entering and robbing the people of the UK. I hope you are proud of yourself. If we need to elect extremist such as UKIP we will do it.
What you have always forgotten in your submissions is the remarks are only lent. The British do not forget and one day very soon you will pay for it.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:13 pm

Adrian, no offense but your last post is one of the most ridiculous I read here for a while...how can anybody with your mindset live abroad??
I wonder what you do here and how long do you have planned staying..? :shock:
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:06 pm

Guiri I apologise for venting my spleen.
I am both a naturalised Peruvian and British subject. I obey the laws and pay my taxes in both countries, without being a drain on either. My wife of ten years is Peruvian, works in a professional capacity with a well-respected national company. However she cannot enter the UK without firstly applying for a visa to do so, followed by a lengthy interrogation and up to a month`s wait for approval. When she is granted permission, it is purely for the period she is visiting, up to a maximum of six months. She has made five application during our marriage.
People are entering the UK from other parts of Europe, without question. They are putting extreme strain on the resources such as welfare benefits, hospital, schools, housing etc. etc. My aged mother attended the outpatients at our local hospital with a broken wrist, only to be told there was a large queue in front. Mainly overseas visitors with minor ailments who were not on a doctors list. She waited two hours and at the age of 88 years was extremely distressed.
I believe people should be able to travel freely, but if they settle in an alien country, they should be able to financially support and house themselves without placing a burden on the country they live. The EU have handled the issues very badly and other countries, including Germany have reacted by imposing restrictions. The UK have abided by the laws laid down and are paying the price for failure. I am not a supporter of UKIP, but if the present government do not perform before the elections next year I am confident the people will vote accordingly. This will be a pity as the borders will also effectively close for the genuine people who want to make a home in the UK and a contribution to society.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:21 pm

If Adrian is living in Peru I'm thinking he's doing so on his own 10 centimos. I don't see how he can be a "welfare tourist" living off the benefits provided by Peru when Peru has no welfare system to provide benefits to anyone. If Peru did provide welfare benefits to any foreigner who moved here I wouldn't be surprised to see many upset Peruanos. I do agree with chi chi that foreigners will continue to take advantage of a system that is set up to allow them to enter the country and receive benefits, but as mentioned by Adrian, that may be coming to an end one day soon. In a declining world economy taxpayers, especially what's left of the working and middle class, will eventually tire of paying for people who immigrate but don't contribute. Add in frustration at seeing one's culture starting to become overtaken by those same people who for the most part have no interest in adapting to their new country/culture. Top it off with religious intolerance on both sides. Eventually something's gotta give. Those "welfare tourists" who chi chi says are entitled to benefits may no longer be entitled if the law is changed.

Anybody read the book/see the film "Children of Men' by P.D. James/Alfonso Cuarón? Take out the women no longer being able to become pregnant plot element (or not) and that is what England, and the world, could look like.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:34 am

adrian Thorne wrote:People are entering the UK from other parts of Europe, without question. They are putting extreme strain on the resources such as welfare benefits, hospital, schools, housing etc. etc.

Most foreigners that live in the UK have a job. Including me when I lived in the UK. I worked at a hotel and for 2 airlines. A large number of the staff were foreign. Most people who applied for jobs were foreign.

Go to any supermarket, catering business, cleaning business or taxi company in the UK and you will notice that most employees are foreign.
Most newsagents and small corner shops are run by foreigners.
Most hairdressers are foreign.
Allmost all staf working for Ryanair in the UK are foreign.
The roads in the UK are some of the best in the world but they were constructed by...Irish immigrants.

But all the chavs that live on the dole and drive around all day with their pimped up Corsas or Fiestas and spend their jobseekers allowance on booze and fags are British.

The infamous ''White Dee'' is neither Belgian or Romanian.
Last edited by chi chi on Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:49 am

adrian Thorne wrote:My aged mother attended the outpatients at our local hospital with a broken wrist, only to be told there was a large queue in front. Mainly overseas visitors with minor ailments who were not on a doctors list. She waited two hours and at the age of 88 years was extremely distressed.

The NHS is a farce. In other countries you can go to any doctor. In the UK, you can only go to a doctor you are registered at. So, if you are out of town and feel unwell, you have to go to the local A&E department.
When I was in Manchester, I felt unwell and had chest pains. I went to a local doctors practise and he refused to help me because I was registered with him. He called and ambulance that took me to a hospital although I told him that it wasn't an emergency. In the hospital, I was waiting hours before I was seen by a nurse.
Luckily, there are foreign doctors or nurses willing to work in the UK othwise I might have been asked to come back in a few weeks.

Waiting lists for medical treatment have always been long in the UK and that has nothing to do with foreigners but the failing NHS.
That's why many Brits travel to Belgium to get medical help as there aren't any waiting lists. Should Belgium kick out those Brits?
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:42 am

To be fair to the Romanians in the Daily Mail article, there is no mention of them claiming or even seeking to claim benefits but it does mention them seeking work in a nearby business park. It may be that they are very keen to work. I have more sympathy with people who come to the UK and squat on public land and look for any job they can than I do for people who come and claim benefits including housing benefits and will only take certain jobs even if they are more "legal". It's good that chichi says he would work in the UK, but I wonder if he would accept the sort of jobs these guys a going for or only accept particular kinds of jobs he considers are not beneath him.
Tom
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:21 am

tomsax wrote:To be fair to the Romanians in the Daily Mail article, there is no mention of them claiming or even seeking to claim benefits but it does mention them seeking work in a nearby business park. It may be that they are very keen to work. I have more sympathy with people who come to the UK and squat on public land and look for any job they can than I do for people who come and claim benefits including housing benefits and will only take certain jobs even if they are more "legal". It's good that chichi says he would work in the UK, but I wonder if he would accept the sort of jobs these guys a going for or only accept particular kinds of jobs he considers are not beneath him.

The UK restricted the benefits for immigrants from within the EU.
Romanians can't claim benefits unless they have been living in the UK for at least 3 months. They can no longer claim housing benefit.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/benefits-for ... -nationals

Illegal immigrants are better off. They can lodge in a luxury hotel and get benefits from day one.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... views.html

If EU citizens move to the UK then it's with the intention to look for a job. All EU country give wellfare benefits to their citizens so they don't have to move to the UK for that.

adrian Thorne wrote:Kick them out. Why on earth should these people come to the UK without a promise of a job and a home, live on welfare, the British worker has paid for and then rub their noses in it by destroying the treasured environment. If nothing is done about you scroungers I can see UKIP elected and Romania/Belgium`s out.

Adrian, nobody from Belgium is going to move the UK to live of wellfare. Wellfare benefits in Belgium are much better than in the UK.

Unemployment benefit in the UK is only 72.40 quid or around 100 euros a week. In Belgium, you get at least 250 euros a week. You can get up to 400 euros a week. You get 65% of your last pay. The mínimum unemployment benefit is 1000 euros a month.

On top of that, in the UK you have to sign on at the jobcenter every two weeks. In Belgium, you don't get hassled.
Anyone from Belgium going to claim benefits in the UK must be a 'plonker'. :lol:
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:40 am

If only the nation had listened to Enoch Powell back in 1968 Britain might still be Great, unfortunately he was deemd to be a racist.
http://youtu.be/6gkBr-qvo-4
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:28 pm

I disagree. It still is a great country, whatever the grammar you choose.
Tom
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:57 pm

tomsax wrote:I disagree. It still is a great country, whatever the grammar you choose.

How ever you feel, and I'm as patriotic as anyone, It used to be better and could have been even better than you think it is now.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:13 pm

panman wrote:
tomsax wrote:I disagree. It still is a great country, whatever the grammar you choose.

How ever you feel, and I'm as patriotic as anyone, It used to be better and could have been even better than you think it is now.

You may be as patriotic as anyone but I see a lot of posts slagging off your home country. If it patriotism it's very negative form of it.
Tom
Lone Rider

Postby Lone Rider » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:27 pm

It is possible to be patriotic but still have criticisms. What I do not understand is discussing a nations dirty laundry on a forum whose focus is elsewhere.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:42 pm

Lone Rider wrote:It is possible to be patriotic but still have criticisms. What I do not understand is discussing a nations dirty laundry on a forum whose focus is elsewhere.

I'm sure, once you've been a member for a little longer, you'll see that there are a multitude of topics openly discussed on this forum.
Most members, though the majority now living in Peru, still have an interest in their country of origin.
Lone Rider

Postby Lone Rider » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:52 pm

Oh I understand and no problem. I just find it odd. I guess they have no one else of their own country interested.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:20 pm

panman wrote:
Most members, though the majority now living in Peru, still have an interest in their country of origin.

In that case, I would expect ChiChi to bring up issues regarding Belgium (if he is indeed Belgian), not the UK...
It's just his usual hunger for attention, and firing up the crowd.
Regards,

Argidd
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:49 pm

argidd wrote:
panman wrote:

In that case, I would expect ChiChi to bring up issues regarding Belgium (if he is indeed Belgian), not the UK...
It's just his usual hunger for attention, and firing up the crowd.

But you must admit, it sure works well :lol:
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:14 pm

Lone Rider wrote:It is possible to be patriotic but still have criticisms. What I do not understand is discussing a nations dirty laundry on a forum whose focus is elsewhere.

Of course. I can be very critical of my country. But I still think it is a great country and unlike panman I think it is a lot better than it was before, partly improved by plenty of dirty laundry discussed in public.

As for chichi, yes, his main intention is to provoke. And he knows he can do that more by posts about the UK. Few people are interested in Belgium.
Tom
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:57 pm

tomsax wrote:

Of course. I can be very critical of my country. But I still think it is a great country and unlike panman I think it is a lot better than it was before, partly improved by plenty of dirty laundry discussed in public.

As for chichi, yes, his main intention is to provoke. And he knows he can do that more by posts about the UK. Few people are interested in Belgium.

I am not against the UK. I worked and lived there and loved it. If the jobmarket was better, I might move back there. At least I can work there without the need of a visa as the UK is an EU country.

The UK is still considered one of the best places to live. People like the Romanians in the Daily Mail article prefer to live in a shantytown vs. living in their own country.

The amount of people working ''off the record'' and even slave labour has increased. The jobmarket is tough. Too many people apply for every jobvacancy and the situation is getting worser and worser.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Oftentimes those who question the leaders who are temporarily in charge of a country are more patriotic than those who sheepishly follow blindly, obey, and support their leaders, no matter how misguided or inept they may be.

As to whether things in a country were better "back in the day" I think it is totally subjective and depends on whom you ask. I can't speak for England but in the US you're apt to get different opinions based solely on race. What might be the good 'ole days to a white person may not be so good to a black person when talking about pre-civil rights USA or the days of legal slavery.

Belgium? Waffles, good beer, chocolates, Django Reinhardt, Touts Tielemans, Belgian fries, Jean Claude Van Damme, and (perhaps?) chi chi. That's all I got.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:41 pm

chi chi wrote:
tomsax wrote:
Lone Rider wrote: The jobmarket is tough. Too many people apply for every jobvacancy and the situation is getting worser and worser.
But thats a general problem in Europe nowadays. :? ...maybe besides Denmark :D
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:03 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Belgium? Waffles, good beer, chocolates, Django Reinhardt, Touts Tielemans, Belgian fries, Jean Claude Van Damme, and (perhaps?) chi chi. That's all I got.

Indeed, nobody can beat us on that. 8)

Guiri wrote:
chi chi wrote:
tomsax wrote:
Lone Rider wrote: The jobmarket is tough. Too many people apply for every jobvacancy and the situation is getting worser and worser.
But thats a general problem in Europe nowadays. :? ...maybe besides Denmark :D

Denmark has an excellent wellfare system that why people are well off.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register