job application

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

job application

Postby chi chi » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:39 am

I just applied for a job. Not for a ''off the record'' job but a real job with an airline.

Did anyone else apply for a job or is anyone looking for a job?

Nowadays, it's hard to find a job. There are loads of ''off the record'' jobs available that pay cash in hand but real jobs are scarce.

Mako

Re: job application

Postby Mako » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:07 pm

I have applied for many jobs in my time Chichi, what do you want to discuss?
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:18 am

chi chi wrote:I just applied for a job. Not for a ''off the record'' job but a real job with an airline.

Did anyone else apply for a job or is anyone looking for a job?

Nowadays, it's hard to find a job. There are loads of ''off the record'' jobs available that pay cash in hand but real jobs are scarce.

Well done Cheech. Perhaps you will have better luck than when you turned down the same job in Lima. I do think applying in Spain with a 25% unemployment rate is not the best idea. Especially as Belgium is running at 8.5%, but everybody to their own.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:36 am

There is a certain irony that you have been “actively seeking work” to maintain your unemployment benefits for 8 years now and submitting proof thereof to the Belgium officals... so posting because you have no experience in applying for a real job?
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:51 am

The only off the record job I ever had was cutting grass, and doing odd jobs Even washing dishes I paid social security and taxes back in the day. I always thought that is how it works when you are a "professional." You are in demand and you have a good resume. But I would also guess if you are in a profession with low demand, you best think about doing something about that. I would imagine that working in a job off the books is not a positive step to a new profession. I have a niece who finished her degree in anthropology at a large well known university in Pennsylvania. After about 2 years looking, where is she working? In a library making a little over minimum wage. Maybe a cool degree, but what good does it do as far a career choice?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:05 am

adrian Thorne wrote:Well done Cheech. Perhaps you will have better luck than when you turned down the same job in Lima. I do think applying in Spain with a 25% unemployment rate is not the best idea. Especially as Belgium is running at 8.5%, but everybody to their own.

With my language skills and past working experience, I have more chance to find a job in Spain than in Belgium.

My age is also a burden. Employers in Belgium either want people under the age of 25 or over 50 or people registered as a student as they have to pay almost no social security contributions and less tax.

The unemployment rate is Spain has always been very high. Many people claim unemployment benefit and work at the same time.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register